The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Default Computer Geek question....

So i dont consider myself a computer geek, but i must say i am above average with computers.

so one of my laptops finally died and need to get a new one.

DO you recommend the I3, I5, or Core 2 duo.

I had a duo in my old one and was pretty happy.......and I dont know much about the I series.

THe one im thinking about ordering has a I5, which if i understand correctly allows turbo boost (self overclocking) but not hyperthreading. http://www.compusa.com/applications/...90440&CatId=17

The second one comes with the I3, which allows hyperthreading, but not overclocking, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+...&skuId=9739389

So basically which one would you buy, why, and what sbetter the I3 or the I5.

Ps i know acer and gateway are the same company.......and i HATE dells and sony computers............ i usually upgrade/mod mine with some aftermarket stuff so the brands dont bother me. My last 3 comps have been acer. I can get them for the same price with my discount codes (599 each)

also note the I3 one above has blu-ray.......where as the I5 has bluetooth.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by PaintballCLE; 02-27-2010 at 08:12 PM..
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I would go with the I5 but realize that your not going to see much of an improvement until the App developers optimize your software for true dual/quad core compatability.

The good news is that Intel Core 2 Duo's should get cheaper now that the I series is out.

If you don't have a need for Dual or Quad core processing and you were happy with your Intel Core 2 duo then I would consider going cheap.

If you run CAD, Video/audio production, or something else that needs the extra power then I would go for the I5. Most users use their laptops for the Internet, ipod, maybe they write a letter in Word or a spreadsheet in Excel. You don't need an I series for that...yet...

BTW if you just have an Intel Core duo and not an Intel Core 2 duo then you don't currently have a 64 bit CPU, going to a dual core CPU running 64bit would really improve your experience running windows 7 with a good amount of ram in it.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I would go with the I5 but realize that your not going to see much of an improvement until the App developers optimize your software for true dual/quad core compatability.

The good news is that Intel Core 2 Duo's should get cheaper now that the I series is out.

If you don't have a need for Dual or Quad core processing and you were happy with your Intel Core 2 duo then I would consider going cheap.

If you run CAD, Video/audio production, or something else that needs the extra power then I would go for the I5. Most users use their laptops for the Internet, ipod, maybe they write a letter in Word or a spreadsheet in Excel. You don't need an I series for that...yet...

BTW if you just have an Intel Core duo and not an Intel Core 2 duo then you don't currently have a 64 bit CPU, going to a dual core CPU running 64bit would really improve your experience running windows 7 with a good amount of ram in it.

yeah i am running 64 vista with 8 GB/ram now........dont use it for all that much, but being a college student and a hobby of editing videos and stuff......it doesnt have to be great, but i dont want anything crappy either........i was fine wiht mine burning dvds, and doing stuff like that, but i need this more for video converting formats, etc.... do you think software will eventually come on bluray in the next 2 years? if so i should probably opt for the one with the bluray player huh?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Might not be for you, but CedarPC sells refurbished and used refurbished laptops, with minor defects, for insanely low prices. I've purchased two there, no complaints. In fact, despite their prices, they have uniformly excellent feedback all over.

Of course there are minor defects with most, like battery or some such thing. But it's worth it to me to save several hundred on each.

http://www.cedarpc.com/cgi-bin/comme...&category=LWD0
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Might not be for you, but CedarPC sells refurbished and used refurbished laptops, with minor defects, for insanely low prices. I've purchased two there, no complaints. In fact, despite their prices, they have uniformly excellent feedback all over.

Of course there are minor defects with most, like battery or some such thing. But it's worth it to me to save several hundred on each.

http://www.cedarpc.com/cgi-bin/comme...&category=LWD0
Thanks for the link man. I bookmarked it
I looked around and I saw a lot of good deals. Really minor defects that can be fixed with no problems on most of them.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #6
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Yes, and for whatever reason, my gf never uses the battery on hers ... says she can't remember when. So if that's the worst that's wrong with it, what's not to like?

Besides, like you said, new batteries cost what, $60-80? There are some defects I wouldn't want to take, "Touchpad is Defective," or "fan makes lots of noise," but a battery ... please.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Save your money and get Core 2 Duo unless your a gamer/video editer. Even then you can get by with Core 2 Duo although i5 would be more powerfull.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

so i guess my last question, is there a big difference between the I3 and I5?

and what about between then I5 and the I7
Old 02-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBleed Orange and Blue View Post
so i guess my last question, is there a big difference between the I3 and I5?

and what about between then I5 and the I7
Memory and Hyperthreading. The I7 requires ram in a series of threes. The I7 is a Quad core CPU but with Hyperthreading it appears to the OS as 8. I don't know anyout out side of a Server or someone doing fluid mechanics calculations that needs 8 cores on a PC/laptop.

Stay with a Core 2 Duo or I5. Look into the i5 if you do go that route some have lesser features.

It always boils down to $ for me when I look at buying anything that will be obsolete in 2-3 years. I always go cheap and wait for the next big thing before I dive in. Over the next couple months will be a great time to buy a Core 2 duo box that should serve you for a couple years.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

If it were me, I would opt for the I7 and make sure it has an awesome graphics processor. If you like video editing as you say you do, then at some point you probably will be working with HD video, and I can tell you from experience that working with 1080 HD video takes a ton of CPU power, RAM and video processing.

The I7 920 Bloomfield has won a ton of awards. It's an awesome processor.

I have a desktop though so I can't say anything in regards to overclocking on a laptop. I'm not sure I would. You can't really buy any type of special CPU cooling for doing that like you can if you had a desktop.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Yes, and for whatever reason, my gf never uses the battery on hers ... says she can't remember when. So if that's the worst that's wrong with it, what's not to like?

Besides, like you said, new batteries cost what, $60-80? There are some defects I wouldn't want to take, "Touchpad is Defective," or "fan makes lots of noise," but a battery ... please.
Has anyone bought a desktop from there ? I am looking for a desk top . I seen they had alot but I wonder if windows 7 is not what I need . I am totaly lost on vista. my comuter is so messed up at this point that i am going to take it in and get it fixed and it runs vista I love it but hate not uderstanding were and how to fix it . I am thinking of taking classes for genral fixs and what not .

I got a HP and probably will say with it . what is the best operating system ...

I thinking of getting rid of vista to many problems.
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
Has anyone bought a desktop from there ? I am looking for a desk top . I seen they had alot but I wonder if windows 7 is not what I need . I am totaly lost on vista. my comuter is so messed up at this point that i am going to take it in and get it fixed and it runs vista I love it but hate not uderstanding were and how to fix it . I am thinking of taking classes for genral fixs and what not .

I got a HP and probably will say with it . what is the best operating system ...

It all depends on what you want your OS to do for you. Obviously 7 has more options then say XP, but if you are not taking advantage of those options, then you don't really need it. I still run XP Pro SP3 and don't have any needs to move to Vista or 7. My friend runs 7 and he brags about how is system boots 30 seconds faster then mine. Oh well, I hope he finds a usefull way to spend those 30 seconds, lol.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I can't handle laptops. lol!
I may have to buy one for school, but the university has some available for the students if I need one.
I'm just avoiding having to buy one
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
It all depends on what you want your OS to do for you. Obviously 7 has more options then say XP, but if you are not taking advantage of those options, then you don't really need it. I still run XP Pro SP3 and don't have any needs to move to Vista or 7. My friend runs 7 and he brags about how is system boots 30 seconds faster then mine. Oh well, I hope he finds a usefull way to spend those 30 seconds, lol.
well thats the deal I am thinking of going xp pro at least I could fix most of the silly little things that popped up I like 98 the best but my provider is a pain in the ass it no longer recognizes it .
Old 02-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

vista after two years and I am totaly lost.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #16
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post

Downgrade to XP or upgrade to Win7.

Go to the library and find some books on building a PC. Build your own. It is not hard and when it does break down you will know how to fix it.

There is a lot of info on the web. Decide what you want to use it for and build around the requirements.

It is not hard, get a MB and compatable CPU, then buy the right RAM in the right config, add a video card if not built-in, a PS, cd-rom/DVD player/burner, and HD and you got a simple system you can build off.

I bet you could find a Youtube clip on how to put it all together in an hour. The OS takes the longest.