The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default 8.8 Quake Rocks Chile, Tsunami Alert Issued

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35615455...cas/?gt1=43001
and in Other news , Mike Shanahan former coach of the Denver Broncos , Now wit hthe Washington Redskins , says Denver is on the verge .............Back to your petty bull**** people
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Get the Surfboards ready in Hawaii...............
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

During a trip to Hawaii, I recall looking at the pics of the 1960 tsunami hitting Hilo.

Hopefully, this one is nothing like as big.

Quote:
The largest earthquake ever recorded struck the same area of Chile in 1960.
The deadly wave that it caused raced across the Pacific and hit the Hilo area of the Big Island, where 61 people were killed.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35616401/ns/us_news

Last edited by DenverBrit; 02-27-2010 at 08:41 AM..
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

My wife's sister and her fiancee live in Concepcion near where the earthquake hit. Haven't heard from them yet because all the communications are down in that area. The State Dept is getting the names and addresses of Americans there and trying to contact them. Hopefully we'll hear from them soon.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
My wife's sister and her fiancee live in Concepcion near where the earthquake hit. Haven't heard from them yet because all the communications are down in that area. The State Dept is getting the names and addresses of Americans there and trying to contact them. Hopefully we'll hear from them soon.
I hope they're safe and sound.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Dam that's scary, hopefully everyone will be alright.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
FantomForce
Long live the Mane!

The Incredible BULK!

First Spider thank you for starting this thread, I really wasn't sure how many people on orangemane have vested interest in Chile. I am grateful for my friends and family there, thanks to all who have posted on here and I hope to hear from someone there soon. Thoughts and prayers with all of those affected
FantomForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Chile well prepared for quakes

By Jonathan Amos
Science correspondent, BBC News

It is not possible to predict the time and magnitude of an earthquake, but certain places on the Earth know they are always at risk from big tremors. Chile is one of those places.

It lies on the "Ring of Fire", the line of frequent quakes and volcanic eruptions that circles virtually the entire Pacific rim.

The magnitude 8.8 event that struck the country at 0634GMT on Saturday occurred at the boundary between the Nazca and South American tectonic plates, just off shore and at a depth of about 35km (20 miles).

The biggest city close by is Concepcion, just over 100km to the south.

Collapsed buildings and widespread disruption will have been unavoidable.

Because the quake occurred below the sea floor, tsunamis were also generated, and alerts were issued not just for the Chilean coast but across the Pacific in general.

The Nazca and South American tectonic plates are vast slabs of the Earth's surface and grind past each other at a rate of about 80mm per year.

The Nazca plate, which makes up the Pacific Ocean floor in this region, is being pulled down and under the South American coast.

It makes the region one of the most seismically active on the globe.

Since 1973, there have been 13 events of magnitude 7.0 or greater.

Saturday's shock had its epicentre some 230km north of the source of the magnitude 9.5 tremor of May, 1960 - the biggest instrumentally recorded earthquake in the world. Thousands died in that event.

And it was also about 870km south of the 1922 8.5 event which killed several hundred people in central Chile.

Saturday's tremor is therefore something of a gap-filler between two massive historical events.

French and Chilean seismologists had recently completed a study looking at the way the land was moving in response to the strain building up as a result of the tectonic collision. Their analysis suggested the area was ripe for a big quake.

"This earthquake fills in an identified seismic gap," Dr Roger Musson, who is the British Geological Survey's Head of Seismic Hazard, told BBC News.

"The last major earthquake that occurred in this area was in 1835. This was a famous earthquake observed by Charles Darwin during his voyage on the Beagle. This is a place where the stress has been gathering for 170 years, and finally it's gone in another earthquake that's repeated this famous historical quake."

As is nearly always the case, the region was hit by a series of aftershocks. In the two and a half hours following the 90-second 8.8 event, the US Geological Survey reported 11 aftershocks, of which five measured 6.0 or above.

People will no doubt reflect on the scale of this event and compare it with the recent devastation in Haiti which has claimed an estimated 230,000 lives.

Saturday's quake was almost 1,000 times more powerful than the one to hit Port-au-Prince in Haiti. But size is not in itself an indicator of the likely number of deaths.

One major factor which will limit the number of deaths in Chile will be its greater level of preparedness.

Both the Chilean authorities and the Chilean people are generally well versed in how to cope in such an emergency.

Severe shaking

The Chilean National Emergency Office (Onemi) is responsible for coordinating responses from services such as fire fighters, medical teams and civil defence.

The emergency response system is organised at national, regional and local level.

"Chile is a seismic country. So, we must be prepared!" is the message from Onemi.

The office provides advice on how to prepare for earthquakes and other disasters, and how to behave when one strikes.

Scientists say severe shaking is likely to have been experienced along a 300km stretch of coastline, including in important urban centres such as Concepcion, Arauco, Lota, and Constitucion.

The biggest city close to the epicentre is Concepcion, which forms part of the second largest conurbation in the country with a population of about one million.

It is the capital of Concepcion Province and the Bio Bio region, the name of the river that flows through it.

Concepcion's history has been marked by earthquakes. After a huge tremor in 1751, Concepcion was moved from its original site, currently the town of Penco, to a location further from the sea in the Mocha Valley.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8540522.stm
Old 02-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Fax Machine

We have three families in our neighborhood that have sons on Mormon missions there. Two of them are kids I know really well - I hope they're okay.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

This is one of mother nature's biggest wrath.
Unbelievably powerful
I hope for the best for your family...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

8.8 ............... thats a George Foreman Punch .............. I dont think even an American city with all of our Building codes could handle this ............How big was the one in San Fransisco back in the early 1900's ?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35615455...cas/?gt1=43001
and in Other news , Mike Shanahan former coach of the Denver Broncos , Now wit hthe Washington Redskins , says Denver is on the verge .............Back to your petty bull**** people
Seriously, I can't believe people talk about football here. WTF.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
8.8 ............... thats a George Foreman Punch .............. I dont think even an American city with all of our Building codes could handle this ............How big was the one in San Fransisco back in the early 1900's ?
This statistic is almost incomprehensible to me.

Quote:
Saturday's quake was almost 1,000 times more powerful than the one to hit Port-au-Prince in Haiti.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #15
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
7.9 says the great Wikipedia.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/.../magnitude.php
Old 02-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
Seriously, I can't believe people talk about football here. WTF.
Well i didnt want the Idiots screaming off topic , football forum etc .........
Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #17
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
well i didnt want the idiots screaming off topic , football forum etc .........
lol
Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #18
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
I wonder how much difference there is in a 7.9 and a 8.8............ That 7.9 almost destroyed San Fran
Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #19
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
This statistic is almost incomprehensible to me.
same here ............8.8 just wow ..........
Old 02-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #20
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
I wonder how much difference there is in a 7.9 and a 8.8............ That 7.9 almost destroyed San Fran
Ten fold according to the Richter scale.

The Richter magnitude scale, also known as the local magnitude (ML) scale, assigns a single number to quantify the amount of seismic energy released by an earthquake. It is a base-10 logarithmic scale obtained by calculating the logarithm of the combined horizontal amplitude of the largest displacement from zero on a Wood–Anderson torsion seismometer output. So, for example, an earthquake that measures 5.0 on the Richter scale has a shaking amplitude 10 times larger than one that measures 4.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

On the Richter Scale, magnitude is expressed in whole numbers and decimal fractions. For example, a magnitude 5.3 might be computed for a moderate earthquake, and a strong earthquake might be rated as magnitude 6.3. Because of the logarithmic basis of the scale, each whole number increase in magnitude represents a tenfold increase in measured amplitude

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/richter.php
Old 02-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #21
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Ten fold according to the Richter scale.

The Richter magnitude scale, also known as the local magnitude (ML) scale, assigns a single number to quantify the amount of seismic energy released by an earthquake. It is a base-10 logarithmic scale obtained by calculating the logarithm of the combined horizontal amplitude of the largest displacement from zero on a Wood–Anderson torsion seismometer output. So, for example, an earthquake that measures 5.0 on the Richter scale has a shaking amplitude 10 times larger than one that measures 4.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

On the Richter Scale, magnitude is expressed in whole numbers and decimal fractions. For example, a magnitude 5.3 might be computed for a moderate earthquake, and a strong earthquake might be rated as magnitude 6.3. Because of the logarithmic basis of the scale, each whole number increase in magnitude represents a tenfold increase in measured amplitude

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/richter.php
10 fold .............wow , that 8.8 was a monster then .....
Old 02-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #22
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
10 fold .............wow , that 8.8 was a monster then .....
Yup. That's hard to believe that an 8.8 earthquake is 10 times stronger in magnitude than a 7.8 earthquake.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #23
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Wow. That is bad.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #24
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Yup. That's hard to believe that an 8.8 earthquake is 10 times stronger in magnitude than a 7.8 earthquake.
Last night I caught a show on TV , dont know the name of it , or what channel it was on ( channel surfing) but it was a show about an earth quake that hits America from the Dakotas down to the Gulf stream in texas ,, creating a massive river seperatin the US ...........
Old 02-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #25
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

The 1905 quake leveled San Francisco. Most of the buildings either collapsed or caught on fire and burned to the ground.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote