The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,508

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default Interesting stats about Moreno and all our 2009 draft picks

Link for the full article. the portion I found most interesting was about Moreno.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/2...tion?ref=yahoo

I know a lot of people were pretty down on Moreno and trying to deflect blame from our ****ty OL play onto him or Orton, but an interesting stat this article points out about Moreno, is that 64% of his total rushing yards for the season came after 1st contact. 603 of his total 947 rushing yards came after he was 1st hit.


the rest of the article goes more in depth and discusses the full draft class.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 21,301
Default

Fix the Lines and they will all look better
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,508

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Fix the Lines and they will all look better
I agree. i just find it interesting what his stats could have been like if he wasn't getting initial contact behind or at the LOS, and instead was receiving intial contact after even a pickup of 2 yards
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...
 
BlaK-Argentina's Avatar
 
... support your team!

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Villa La Angostura
Posts: 5,104
Default

I bet this thread doesn't get more than 5 replies.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,715
Default

Clearly Moreno is a bust. Our resident experts have said as much.


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
rastaman
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Link for the full article. the portion I found most interesting was about Moreno.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/2...tion?ref=yahoo

I know a lot of people were pretty down on Moreno and trying to deflect blame from our ****ty OL play onto him or Orton, but an interesting stat this article points out about Moreno, is that 64% of his total rushing yards for the season came after 1st contact. 603 of his total 947 rushing yards came after he was 1st hit.


the rest of the article goes more in depth and discusses the full draft class.
How can you say Denver had a F*@ked Up OL? After all the OL McDuffus inherited was built for zone blocking. Its not the OL's fault that McD tried to force the OL to turn into one-on-one power blocking OL. It was McD that screwed up the OL and then he threw the OL under the Bus in the Press and during press conferences.

Now Slick Ass McD will tell Bowlen and the fans its going to take two years to get his OL in place. Ya see, McD's ego tells him that everything has to be in his image. After all, had McD allowed the zone blocking OL to stay in place it would have reminded him of Shanahan's system.

Who knows, had McD allowed Dennison & Turner to execute the zone blocking scheme, Moreno would have been a candidate for rookie of the year and the Broncos wouldn't have had a 2-8 meltdown and made the playoffs! Moreno had the perfect intangibles to flourish in a zone blocking scheme, that requires a RB to make "one-read", "one-Cut", and "run-downhill".

Oh well its all behind us now. Lets all sit back and watch McD's power blocking running attack take shape over the next two years. I can't wait!
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,623
Default

Last 4 games in particular he had nowhere to run. Seems like he was met in the backfield on almost every run.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
rastaman
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I agree. i just find it interesting what his stats could have been like if he wasn't getting initial contact behind or at the LOS, and instead was receiving intial contact after even a pickup of 2 yards
So explain why McD did not allow Dennison and Turner to bring the full force of their stretch the LOS zone blocking schemes to bear? Do ya think Moreno could have found some running lanes to run through? I guess we will never know now.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Moreno had the perfect intangibles to flourish in a zone blocking scheme, that requires a RB to make "one-read", "one-Cut", and "run-downhill".
I think those are the biggest misnomers about the zone-blocking scheme. There aren't two many blocking schemes out there that require a back to make "two-cuts", or to "run-east/west". The beauty of the ZBS is not so much how it relates to the running back (we should know, ANYONE could have broken off 2k in our system), but rather how it relates to the O-line.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
rastaman
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Last 4 games in particular he had nowhere to run. Seems like he was met in the backfield on almost every run.
Question I have over the last four games what running scheme was McD running? was it more of a NE hybrid power running attack or did he allow Dennison and Turner to unleash the zone blocking scheme.

Remember the OL McD inherited from Shanny was drafted and developed to execute the zone blocking scheme. Last years OL was ill-suited to execute a NE McD-Belicheat hybrid power running attack.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
rastaman
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I think those are the biggest misnomers about the zone-blocking scheme. There aren't two many blocking schemes out there that require a back to make "two-cuts", or to "run-east/west". The beauty of the ZBS is not so much how it relates to the running back (we should know, ANYONE could have broken off 2k in our system), but rather how it relates to the O-line.
The basic concept of Denver's zone blocking scheme was based on the theory of "one-read", "one-Cut", and "run-downhill". If you recall when TD ran for 1500 plus, 1700 plus and 2008 yards in 3 consecutive seasons, the zone blocking scheme also allowed for the use of a lead blocking FB as well.

The lead blocking FB kept the penetrating Def. lineman off TD as well, thus allowing the running attack to be even more efficient. All these attributes were missing from McD's philosophy with the running attack.

Likewise, Moreno would have benefited from a lead blocking FB to take on the def. player that penetrated the LOS.

There is no doubt that McD squandered and mis-utilized the talent on last years Broncos offensive line.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco
 
eddie mac's Avatar
 
Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 17,254

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Rasta when did you think McD was going to implement his own offense then

2010, 2011

What would've been the point in that. He gave the existing line a shot at changing to his scheme. So far it has not worked out especially internally but there's no way in hell anyone should've expected McD to come in here and just run Shanahan's offense.

Had that been the vision, why the hell fire Shanahan in the first place.

McD's his own man, he isn't Mike Mk2 nor will he ever be. 2 completely different coaches with completely different philosophies on how to get things done and you know what he came away with the same record as Shanahan last year via implementing a new scheme, playing far harder opponents and with a downgrade at QB talentwise.

Give the man a chance to properly implement his own ideals.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 37,534

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Link for the full article. the portion I found most interesting was about Moreno.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/2...tion?ref=yahoo

I know a lot of people were pretty down on Moreno and trying to deflect blame from our ****ty OL play onto him or Orton, but an interesting stat this article points out about Moreno, is that 64% of his total rushing yards for the season came after 1st contact. 603 of his total 947 rushing yards came after he was 1st hit.


the rest of the article goes more in depth and discusses the full draft class.
Buckhalter had a 5.4 yard avg and 642 yards on 120 carries, It would be interesting to see how may yards he got after 1st hit and how many times 1st contact was behind the LOS for him.

Knowshon had 3.8 yards on 247 carries (twice the amount of carries) and couldn't gain more than 947.

I would hope with that many carries he would be around 1200 yards next year.

To me it seemed a lot of time that Knowshon was slow to the hole or read the wrong one. I think a lot of the issues were with the inside power blocking being performed poorly.

Buck saw the hole much faster, made better decisions and exploded through it. If he was healty I am guessing he would have done some more damage.

I would also like to see Knowshon bust off some longer gains, his hig was a run of 36. He needs to put together more 20+ yard gains and bust off at least 1 long TD this year if he wants to be a game changer.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #14
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
How can you say Denver had a F*@ked Up OL? After all the OL McDuffus inherited was built for zone blocking. Its not the OL's fault that McD tried to force the OL to turn into one-on-one power blocking OL. It was McD that screwed up the OL and then he threw the OL under the Bus in the Press and during press conferences.

Now Slick Ass McD will tell Bowlen and the fans its going to take two years to get his OL in place. Ya see, McD's ego tells him that everything has to be in his image. After all, had McD allowed the zone blocking OL to stay in place it would have reminded him of Shanahan's system.

Who knows, had McD allowed Dennison & Turner to execute the zone blocking scheme, Moreno would have been a candidate for rookie of the year and the Broncos wouldn't have had a 2-8 meltdown and made the playoffs! Moreno had the perfect intangibles to flourish in a zone blocking scheme, that requires a RB to make "one-read", "one-Cut", and "run-downhill".

Oh well its all behind us now. Lets all sit back and watch McD's power blocking running attack take shape over the next two years. I can't wait!
Was McDaniels hired to keep the status quo? Or to bring his own system in?

Your point is invalid.

__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Was McDaniels hired to keep the status quo? Or to bring his own system in?

Your point is invalid.





Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Was McDaniels hired to keep the status quo? Or to bring his own system in?

Your point is invalid.

Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #17
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,210

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I think those are the biggest misnomers about the zone-blocking scheme. There aren't two many blocking schemes out there that require a back to make "two-cuts", or to "run-east/west". The beauty of the ZBS is not so much how it relates to the running back (we should know, ANYONE could have broken off 2k in our system), but rather how it relates to the O-line.
That is true, but there are several no-cut run schemes - in fact most power or gap assignment run schemes do not use cuts on anything other than misdirection and broken plays. The same for reads, most power runs do not require reads at all since the RB has a gap he is supposed to hit and only if that gap is clearly not open does he have to do anything.

There are two different meanings to downhill running, the original definition I believe is a running style where the runner leans forward which lowers the center of gravity and gives more leverage when taking on tacklers. Some people do however use it to desribe north-south running, which is the sense it is used in for zone blocking. In a gap assignment run the runner will often be running at an angle to the yard lines when he reaches the gap since that is the quickest way to get there and when trying to open up a run lane time is essential. In zone blocking since the gap isn't designed to be open the runner doesn't have to run the shortest path to get there, and can thus focus on running so he gains as many yards as possible which is done by running directly down field, this only applies however once the cut has been made.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
rastaman
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Rasta when did you think McD was going to implement his own offense then

2010, 2011

What would've been the point in that. He gave the existing line a shot at changing to his scheme. So far it has not worked out especially internally but there's no way in hell anyone should've expected McD to come in here and just run Shanahan's offense.

Had that been the vision, why the hell fire Shanahan in the first place.

McD's his own man, he isn't Mike Mk2 nor will he ever be. 2 completely different coaches with completely different philosophies on how to get things done and you know what he came away with the same record as Shanahan last year via implementing a new scheme, playing far harder opponents and with a downgrade at QB talentwise.

Give the man a chance to properly implement his own ideals.
Why change what was working is my question. You don't make changes "Just B/c You Can". You make changes b/c something is broken or isn't working. If you make changes b/c you can or b/c you want to....all that says is that you have a big ego. A smart HC keeps whats working while also adding his own wrinkles to make the process even more efficient.

Instead what Denver got in the end was its 4th consecutive year of missing the playoffs and an offense that declined from the previous year; all b/c the HC wanted to implement a system he had yet drafted/developed/signed the right players to execute.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #20
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Uh oh...look what got started...




Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #21
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Why change what was working is my question. You don't make changes "Just B/c You Can". You make changes b/c something is broken or isn't working. If you make changes b/c you can or b/c you want to....all that says is that you have a big ego. A smart HC keeps whats working while also adding his own wrinkles to make the process even more efficient.

Instead what Denver got in the end was its 4th consecutive year of missing the playoffs and an offense that declined from the previous year; all b/c the HC wanted to implement a system he had yet drafted/developed/signed the right players to execute.
Excuse me, Rasta?

Can you answer the question please?

Was McDaniels hired to run Mike Shanahan's system, or to bring in a new system?

An honest answer will suffice.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #22
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Excuse me, Rasta?

Can you answer the question please?

Was McDaniels hired to run Mike Shanahan's system, or to bring in a new system?

An honest answer will suffice.

You will be waiting a long damn time.


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #23
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
You will be waiting a long damn time.


I never said I'd wait for it.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #24
rastaman
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

[QUOTE=ThatOneDenverMooseGuy;2761412]Was McDaniels hired to keep the status quo? Or to bring his own system in?

Your point is invalid.

Meh! McD was brought in to WIN and return the Broncos to the playoffs! PERIOD!

McD wasn't brought here to Denver to prove his ego comes first. Simply put, a smart none egotistical head coach would have used a scheme that meets the talent and player personnel he has on hand.

Remember.....its a players league not a coaches league.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #25
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
I never said I'd wait for it.

Very true. Point still stands. Waiting for rasta to make an honest assessment is like waiting for the moon to turn purple and do a jig.


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Denver Broncos