The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default Petrus ’shocked’ after record-tying bench press

Petrus ’shocked’ after record-tying bench press
Posted: February 26th, 2010 | Frank Tadych | Tags: 2010 NFL Scouting Combine, Mitch Petrus

INDIANAPOLIS

Arkansas guard Mitch Petrus was the highlight Friday, tying a combine record (since 2000) with 45 repetitions. Catching up with him shortly after his performance, he still was out of breath — even though enough time had passed that he had made his way up to the concourse level of Lucas Oil Stadium.

Petrus said his personal best had been 35 reps, which he did three weeks ago at the end of a heavy workout.

“I lost count, so when they said 45, I was shocked,” Petrus said. “It definitely didn’t start [the combine] off on a bad note. I’m fortunate. I actually surprised myself. I almost passed out when I got off the bench.”

– Frank Tadych

INDIANAPOLIS – When the big fellas hit the bench, it’s one of the best shows of the combine. And Arkansas OL Mitch Petrus put on the biggest show Friday, tying a combine record (since 2000) with 45 repetitions.
Petrus put up the most by an offensive linemen and tied the overall combine record (both since 2000) with his performance, which was on par with Ohio State DE Mike Kudla (2006) and UTEP DT Leif Larsen (2000).
The rest of the top five included Oklahoma State’s Russell Okung (38), Notre Dame’s Eric Olsen (35), UNLV’s Joe Hawley (35) and Maryland’s Bruce Campbell (34). In all, nine linemen put up more than 30 repetitions, and four others topped out at 29.
Three players didn’t participate in the bench press because of injuries: Florida’s Maurkice Pouncy, Alabama’s Mike Johnson and Ole Miss’ John Jerry.
Most bench-press reps at NFL Scouting Combine (since 2000):
  • 45: Mitch Petrus, G, Arkansas (2010)
  • 45: Mike Kudla, DE, Ohio State (2006)
  • 45: Leif Larsen, DT, UTEP (2000)
  • 44: Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State (2006)
  • 43: Scott Young, G, BYU (2005)
  • 42: Tank Tyler, DT, North Carolina State (2007)
  • 42: Isaac Sopoaga, DT, Hawaii (2004)
Most bench-press reps by offensive lineman at NFL Scouting Combine (since 2000):
  • 45: Mitch Petrus, G, Arkansas (2010)
  • 43: Scott Young, G, BYU (2005)
  • 40: Justin Blalock, G, Texas (2007)
  • 40: Manuel Ramirez, G, Texas Tech (2007)
  • 39: Louis Vasquez, G, Texas Tech (2009)
  • 38: Tony Pashos, OT, Illinois (2003)
  • 37: Jake Long, OT, Michigan (2008)
  • 37: Wayne Hunter, OT, Hawaii (2003)
  • 37: Roberto Garza, C, Texas A&M-Kingsville (2001)
  • 37: Victor Leyva, G, Arizona State (2001)
– Frank Tadych

Permalink | ShareThis

How does this guy grade out as a guard?

Last edited by oubronco; 02-26-2010 at 06:39 PM..
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Like a 4th or 5th rounder.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

With the 8th pick of the NFL draft, the Oakland Raiders select...
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I look at that list of standouts and it doesn't shock me as a quality list.

Then I seem to recall that Clady was a sissy in this event, I believe.

Just doesn't seem to be much more effective in grading their potential than a simple arm wrestling contest would be.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah412 View Post

Just doesn't seem to be much more effective in grading their potential than a simple arm wrestling contest would be.
He did 24 reps with a strained pec.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah412 View Post

Bench rep numbers is such a factor of physical frame that just looking at raw all time leaders is deceptive.

Ryan Clady has amazingly long arms. He's pushing that weight probably nearly twice as far as many of his contemporaries, and on the bench that really matters.

I'm about 5'9" or 5'10" with a wingspan at just about 6', with a 50" chest. When I was actively weight training I could throw up 26 reps at 225, and I weighed 230 at the time. In short, I could out bench the positional average for anything but OL, DL, and LB, occasionally beating out even highly ranked talents within those groups.

It didn't mean I was stronger than them, I just had a frame that was ideal to letting me putting up high bench reps for my actual strength level. Not particularly long armed, broad chested, and with good form. Mike Kudla was a perfect example of this. He was a fairly short DE with a very wide chest and short arms.

Good scouts look at it relative to body type. So if a guy like Doom with a 6'10" wingspan on a 5'10" body puts up 20 some reps thats a hell of a lot more impressive than some 6'2" guy with a 6'2" winspan putting up 30.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I'm 168 and I can bench 225 for 6 reps (always the last set). Hoe much are they benching?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
bap454
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm 168 and I can bench 225 for 6 reps (always the last set). Hoe much are they benching?
Carefull...Al Davis catches wind of the this and you my friend will be part of the Faider family. His personal diaper changer.
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
225 is what they do for a reps number. They also do a max bench.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Bench press has more to do with the length of your arms than your strength, ability and skill. I think Jared Allen did like 14 reps. Basically if you have short arms you'll get a lot. It means very little as to how good you are at your position.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

So why do they test it?

In my defense, I got arms like this

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
So why do they test it?
Its a good comparison relative to body type, and if you see a freakish number get thrown up by someone who isn't of an ideal body type for benching you have reason to be impressed.

Scouts have seen thousands of kids go through the combine. They all look at it through the filter of body type, background, etc..

Its the same thing with 40 times. People here slag on Moreno's slow 40 but overlook his killer short shuttle, long shuttle, 3 cone, etc.. Most NFL scouts saw a guy who put on probably 5-10 pounds of lean muscle from the end of his collegiate season to the combine and didn't drop any agility or quickness, just a touch of top end speed that doesn't translate to the field when you strap on the pads. That shows truly elite athleticism.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

My baseball coach in high school was a little person. First practice of every season he would ask if anyone wanted to challenge him in a pushup contest. There was always some hotshot freshman who would volunteer, only to realize that with tiny arms the coach could do like a million pushups. Just sayin'.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:18 AM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Its a good comparison relative to body type, and if you see a freakish number get thrown up by someone who isn't of an ideal body type for benching you have reason to be impressed.

Scouts have seen thousands of kids go through the combine. They all look at it through the filter of body type, background, etc..

Its the same thing with 40 times. People here slag on Moreno's slow 40 but overlook his killer short shuttle, long shuttle, 3 cone, etc.. Most NFL scouts saw a guy who put on probably 5-10 pounds of lean muscle from the end of his collegiate season to the combine and didn't drop any agility or quickness, just a touch of top end speed that doesn't translate to the field when you strap on the pads. That shows truly elite athleticism.
exactly. for the most part the 40 is an overrated judge of speed for players, because in the NFL it is extremely rare for anyone to run in a straight line for more than a few yards. the more telling numbers are the change of direction, and agility tests. and in those Moreno was freakishly quick.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #15
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesBronco View Post
My baseball coach in high school was a little person. First practice of every season he would ask if anyone wanted to challenge him in a pushup contest. There was always some hotshot freshman who would volunteer, only to realize that with tiny arms the coach could do like a million pushups. Just sayin'.
i am the complete opposite of that guy. i am in pretty good shape, 6ft, and 230lbs, but my wing span checks out around 6'7" and with pushups i hit like 15 and the arms start to lose strength, same as with the bench press. 10-15 reps on the bench at 225 and my arms are done.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
They are doing reps at 225lbs.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Bench press has more to do with the length of your arms than your strength, ability and skill. I think Jared Allen did like 14 reps. Basically if you have short arms you'll get a lot. It means very little as to how good you are at your position.
It's a basic upper body strength test. If you have long arms and can put up 225lbs 30+ times you have some serious upper body strength. It's a good measuring stick for tackles, not so sure about entirior offensive lineman.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #18
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Chris Johnson wouldn't tell you the 40 is overrated...
ha ha ha
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: