The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default What does Orton need to do to receive a new deal in Denver?

I know their is a big line between the Orton backers and the people who want Orton out and someone else brought in. With that in mind, I am curious what everyone feels Orton needs to accomplish in 2010 for fans and the franchise to want him to get a new deal that will keep him in Denver long term, or is he in a situation when no matter what he does this season, it's not going to be good enough for fans to want him to remain in Denver?

me personally, i believe he had a good season last year considering the circumstances of injuires limiting him, basically learning on the job, and the offensive line play as well as a lack of running game. and for me, i feel if he shows he can build upon last season and can guide the team to a better record and playoffs, as well as avoid injury, if he can do those things I think he would be more than deserving of a new contract.

now, I am not saying let's not bring in competition for him, I am saying that after last season he deserves a shot to become our long term option at QB.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Orton will NEVER be good enough for "certain" fans.

Honestly, a qb rating of 85 and up and a 2 to 1 TD to INT rating...
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Sign a one year deal. With a mutual option for a 2nd year.

I like him, but that's what I think it'll take.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

You are fooling yourself into believing that this fan base is capable of backing a QB for long periods of time. Elway set the bar way too high for that. I know people that still hated Steve Young because of the way that the 49ers handled Montana. Same is happening with the Packers with Rodgers/Favre. Anything less then a super star won't cut it in Denver. Average to above average QB's don't have a long history of making it in Denver. Griese, Plummer, and Cutler all had the fan base turn on them sooner or later. I don't see Orton's abilities being above anyone of those three QB's there. I think a Super Bowl win will save him and only that.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

There is no way I would give Kyle Orton a long-term deal right now.

A one year contract is by far the smartest option for 2010.

If Orton comes out in 2010 and plays great football and takes the team to the playoffs, then they can look into it....but the smart move is a one year deal to see if Orton has hit his ceiling in regards to potential and performance.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Orton needs to not suck.

And I don't even want to hear the arguments that say he's a legitimate NFL starter.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
You are fooling yourself into believing that this fan base is capable of backing a QB for long periods of time. Elway set the bar way too high for that. I know people that still hated Steve Young because of the way that the 49ers handled Montana. Same is happening with the Packers with Rodgers/Favre. Anything less then a super star won't cut it in Denver. Average to above average QB's don't have a long history of making it in Denver. Griese, Plummer, and Cutler all had the fan base turn on them sooner or later. I don't see Orton's abilities being above anyone of those three QB's there. I think a Super Bowl win will save him and only that.
that is a big reason i brought up the question. will Broncos fans ever be satisfied with a good QB, who wins games, has decent stats, has the respect and love of his teammates, or have we been so spoiled by the greatness of Elway, that no one will ever be good enough, or is it possible that Orton puts together a season that doesn't get people to forget Elway(because that will never happen, in 50 years Broncos fans will still talk about Elway), but good enough that the fanbase would be happy to see him in Denver after 2010
Old 02-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

What you see is what you get with Orton, he is not going to develop an arm, ability to scramble, improvise, or break a fingernail tackle... he sucks...
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

speaking purely about the fanbase, it's unfortunate to think that he would have to essentially win a championship to win a lot of them over. We saw with Plummer that getting to the AFCCG isn't enough. Orton will face that same scrutiny.

I personally am firmly his corner. I think he played well last season and is in position to take his game to the next level. If he shows the progression I think he is capable of, I think he will deserve a longer deal. Doesn't mean a lot of the fans won't still be riding him though. Seems to be the curse of being a QB in Denver.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

If Orton comes out in 2010 and plays great football and takes the team to the playoffs, then they can look into it....but the smart move is a one year deal to see if Orton has hit his ceiling in regards to potential and performance.
that's what i was asking, what can he do in 2010 that will get the fanbase to want him in Denver long term
Old 02-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Orton needs to not suck.

And I don't even want to hear the arguments that say he's a legitimate NFL starter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
What you see is what you get with Orton, he is not going to develop an arm, ability to scramble, improvise, or break a fingernail tackle... he sucks...
It's good to see we are going to have yet another constructive thread
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Old 02-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

He needs to work on hitting his receivers in stride past 10 yds
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Orton needs to not suck.

come on man, legit responses. i didn't make the thread so people can b**** and moan about the guy or talk **** about him. it is a legit question, what can he do in 2010 that will make fans be fine with him as our long term option at QB.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #15
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

He is 14th if you rank by QB rating. I cannot believe that those aren't enough for some people.

Well, to be honest, I can.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Orton (and the whole team in general) needs to get back to playing at a high level. The comebacks against New England and Dallas seem like a lifetime ago. He is capable of being "the man", IMO...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #17
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Rep. It's a hard QB town. I went through the Montana/Young thing, and it took me a couple years (and an MVP trophy) to take to Young, despite his being probably the most gifted QB to ever play the game (maybe Elway).
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #18
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
He is 14th if you rank by QB rating. I cannot believe that those aren't enough for some people.

14th in W-L for a team is what? About 8-8? As much as I hate it, we are living in the era of QB play being the most important aspect of the team.

Last edited by Lev Vyvanse; 02-26-2010 at 06:19 PM..
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #19
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
that is a big reason i brought up the question. will Broncos fans ever be satisfied with a good QB, who wins games, has decent stats, has the respect and love of his teammates, or have we been so spoiled by the greatness of Elway, that no one will ever be good enough, or is it possible that Orton puts together a season that doesn't get people to forget Elway(because that will never happen, in 50 years Broncos fans will still talk about Elway), but good enough that the fanbase would be happy to see him in Denver after 2010
I like Orton. What he did for Brook Berringer family is amazing. It speaks volumes of what type of person he is off the football field. That said I do have big concerns about a player in his career year couldn't crack the top ten in yards, TD's or rating. Not only that we only got eight wins out of it. If we don't have a back up plan and he doesn't progress in 10 I think we are in a lot of trouble. How good do you think the team can be in 2010 if Orton struggles? Honestly if he hurts his ankle again and struggles like he did the past two season's after hurting it we need to move on from him. Both the 08 and 09 season's he had 4 Int's before he hurt his ankle and it went to hell after that. Should that happen a third season it's to problematic to pin the hopes of our team on.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #20
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Probably not until the next QB wins a superbowl
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #21
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post

Dude you are a riot. His stats are no more impressive then Jay Cutlers 08 stats and we all know what you think about him. Both had career years and both lead the Broncos to 8 wins.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #22
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I'm not buying the "we can't get over Elway" thing anymore. I'm one of the biggest Elway fans and that just isn't the case. I want a QB that when he walks on the field I have confidence he can lead the offense and not screw it up. That he has the talent to throw the short ball, the long ball, scramble, read defenses, do what's needed to help the team CONSISTENTLY. I almost had it with Griese before he hurt his shoulder and became a scared little girl in the pocket, I never had it with Plummer (the reason the AFCC wasn't good enough is because we won it in spite of him), never had it with Cutler, especially in the red zone. We have not had good QB's since Elway left, so I don't see where any comparison would come in.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #23
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

This.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #24
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

I think this situation plays out fairly straight forward. I think he'll be extended to a modest contract and I think the search will be on for someone to compete for the gig going forward.

McDaniels knows his offense is in safe hands with Orton, but probably also sees what the rest of us see... a guy who isn't perhaps the most dynamic QB out there.

I will say this... I think most Orton detractors underrate him because he doesn't always look spectacular doing his job. He's deceptively efficient and made a ton of big throws for us last year that most people are never going to take the time to re-watch and give him credit for.

That said, he's got some limitations and I'm not sure where his real upside caps off. Could we go to a SB with him? Absolutely. Is he our BEST option for that pursuit... I think the jury is out on that question.

What we know is, he's undoubtedly the best option available for us this coming season. So, the easiest thing to do for Broncos fans is to get behind this guy. He's a hard worker, a good leader and a good Bronco. He's going to be our starter next season. Hopefully we'll develop other options as we move forward.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #25
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Well first off he needs to do something Cutler didn't, either have win more than 8 games, have a rating over 90, pass for 30 TDs, just something.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote