The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter
Default So i finally got a new phone after 4yrs

I had the Sony Ericsson K800i for almost 4yrs now and it was time to get an upgrade. One thing, the K800i took a beating and worked like a charm everyday. I can't even tell you how many times I droped it. So it was hard to give it up.

What I wanted in a phone was touchscreen and full querty keyboard interface, multimedia ability, large display and decent quality camera. My choices were the Sony Ericsson Satio, Nokia N97 and N900HTC Nexus One and the Iphone 3gs 32GB.

The Sony Satio($650) I thought was overpriced, especially when you have to pay full price for it because its not available at a discouted price through tmobile or at&t. 12.1 megapixal camera is its main selling point, its really a Camera with a phone option.

Nokia N97 ($500) of which I also thought was overpriced $500. Read so many negative reviews on it. I however love the touchscreen and slide out keyboard with directional pad for games, 32GB and decent camera. The slow processor and outdated symbian OS really killed it for me.

The Nokia N900 ($550) was something new. It features a open source, linux based OS. It also has 32GB storage, 1GB ram (256 dedicated), 600 mhz, 5 megapixel camera, dvd quality video capture, great touchscreen, gps and a-gps, fm transmitter and reciever. Some draw backs was its size. it is thick, very thick, weight and because its so new, it also has alot of glitches.

HTC nexus one ($750) was the phone that I thought was very impressive. snap dragon 1GHz proccesor, dvd quality video capture, andriod OS, 5 megapixal camera, google maps, giant touchscreen and very ergonomical. Negative is its price, $750 is a price a lcd TV or laptop.

The Iphone ($500 thru craigslist) was a good phone. Plenty of apps, 32GB of storage, 600MHz processor, google maps, itunes and capacitve touchscreen. the negatives are plenty though. not durable at all, one drop and you got about $200 in repairs. the one thing that turned me off was that its an apple product. no multitasking capabilities and the I have to unlock the phone. Being a tmobile customer, i would have to get my apps through some hacker.

after carefully thinking it over, I thought the N900 had the most potential mainly because of its open source linux based OS called Maemo 5. Wow, this phone does it all and some more. I received it the other day and the phone is bad azz. first impressions is its thick, but very well built and engineered. screen is beautiful and because you can customise the multiple desktop makes it easy to navigate. The open source OS has limitless possibilities. basically what that means is anyone can create apps for it.

so far, i have downloaded (free of charge) different backgrounds and several emulators for the gameboy, nes and snes. I have also download many codecs for the video player and the only one i haven't found was mkv. so all the movies that i have download i don't have to convert it to a different file format. i have also download an app and convert it into a ps3 controller. I have seen they were able to pair the phone with a ps3 controller and play games.

another feature is the multitasking. i was able to listen to music, play games like the original doom, play street fighter II from snes, surf the web, text message and take phone calls without it slowing down. try that on the iphone.

one last feature i wanted to mention is, from what i was told, this is the only phone with a working version of firefox. that means i can go to any website that has flash.

the best part of all these features is that its free. and because its an open source, the apps libary will only get better.

anyways... if you're in a market for a new phone, check this out.

SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Congrats!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Careful with the screen, otherwise good buy man.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
tubbs
Broncobater

Nice phone. I love Nokia. Who is your service provider?
tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Careful with the screen, otherwise good buy man.

why should i becareful with the screen?
Old 02-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbs View Post
Nice phone. I love Nokia. Who is your service provider?
i got tmobile. i know with the n900, if you have at&t, the phone is not compatible with their 3g network
Old 02-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

My brother just got the HTC nexus one not to long ago. Sweet Phone. My contract is up next month and I think I'm going to try the Motorola droid. I'm worried because Motorola hasn't been making great phones lately. I have always been a fan of LG, Nokia, HTC and Samsung when it comes to quality and technology.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
My brother just got the HTC nexus one not to long ago. Sweet Phone. My contract is up next month and I think I'm going to try the Motorola droid. I'm worried because Motorola hasn't been making great phones lately. I have always been a fan of LG, Nokia, HTC and Samsung when it comes to quality and technology.
Got my girlfriend the Motorola Droid... that is one sick, slick piece of machinery. Get it. You will not be disappointed.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

I am deciding between the Droid and Nexus One.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Got my girlfriend the Motorola Droid... that is one sick, slick piece of machinery. Get it. You will not be disappointed.
The reviews seem to be pretty positive. It's funny that Verizon spent so much time and money trying to find phones that could rival the iphone when it was first pitched to them and they rejected the idea. I never heard anyone say one way or another on the droid so thanks.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

DUDE!

Nice phone bro...I recently had the HTC hero, long story short, it ended up in a glass of water and I found a loophole in my sprint contract, so I'm officially free right now. I'm going prepaid whilst looking around for the next best thing, and this is one of the phones I was seriously considering.

some questions for you.

how is maemo 5? I've never used it before...kinda curious how it stacks up to something like the Android platform I had on my Hero. How's the app selection?

How do you like the resistive touchscreen? Is it pretty responsive?

As far as the size...could you compare it to the Motorola droid? (don't know if you've had a chance to handle it or not, you can only get so much of an idea from the specs).

How's T-mobiles network, and how much is the minimum for their data plan?

I'm literally excited for you, as you're one of the first people I've heard from that actually HAS the phone.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

and p.s., this is one of the other phones I'm waiting for later this year

This is actually a picture of the HD2 (which SUPPOSEDLY will be running windows mobile 7, vs the supersonic running Android 2.1), but the supersonic is nearly idenctical spec wise.

1 gig snapdragon processor, 512 dedicated, 5.1 megapixel, AMOLED screen.....
it doesn't have a slide keyboard, but it DOES have a giant 4.3 inch touchscreen.

That's actually another question for you. I realize you just got it, but you gotta let me know how much you actually use the slide out keyboard vs the touchscreen. I've never had one, and don't know how much I'd like it.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

I am technology challenged, and still have my old Motorola Razr-I have really loved this phone, and I've beat it up pretty good, but I love that it is a flip phone and is small enough i can just stick it in my pocket and not know it's there. I don't need Internet access, or any of that stuff-

Are there any phones out there like my Razr? I can't seem to find one-
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronclvr View Post
I am technology challenged, and still have my old Motorola Razr-I have really loved this phone, and I've beat it up pretty good, but I love that it is a flip phone and is small enough i can just stick it in my pocket and not know it's there. I don't need Internet access, or any of that stuff-

Hahaha - this all goes for me too. Mine's in really good shape still.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

I didn't think I needed internet until I got it...

realistically human civilization thrived for years without internet. You're sitting here on a message board now, though...

Just saying.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #16
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
why should i becareful with the screen?

Touch screens wont last forever. Might be a good investment to buy some of those screen protectors. I had a samsung glide w/ a touch screen, within a year I had to go out and get a new phone because of the scratches and wear on the screen. It made the stupid thing unresponsive. Did you get phone insurance?

Old 02-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #17
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Can't go wrong with a Nokia.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #18
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

I went from a Motorolla Razr to a Samsung Glide, to an LG En-V2. I love the En-V because of the texting. I am a text fool. So when my contract was up on the En-V2, I gave that one to my mom and got an En-V 3. I also bought an I Pod touch a year ago, with wifi, so that meets my surfing/internet/music needs. This board helped with that purchase, in fact.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #19
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

I had heard the durability issue RE the iphone prior to purchasing one, but I have yet to have a problem with mine, been dropped on pavement more than once, and the functionality of it is beyond reproach.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #20
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Thanks everyone for your input, but I feel like I have too many gadgets now, with my Home Computer, Laptop, 3 Satelite Radios, cell phone, PDA and everything else-I spend too much time online as it is-

So, is a Samsung Glide or any of those other Phones mentioned small and a flip phone? I resisted getting the Razr (had a Nokia I liked), but I really like the Razr-
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #21
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input, but I feel like I have too many gadgets now, with my Home Computer, Laptop, 3 Satelite Radios, cell phone, PDA and everything else-I spend too much time online as it is-

So, is a Samsung Glide or any of those other Phones mentioned small and a flip phone? I resisted getting the Razr (had a Nokia I liked), but I really like the Razr-

The glide slides open to a full QWERTY keyboard. its not that big, maybe 3.5 inches long. everything is done through the screen, uncluding dialing. Not the best purchase out there.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #22
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
I am deciding between the Droid and Nexus One.
Just got a droid love it.

Sounds funny but I just like its "lines" so much better than any other smart phone.

And browsing the web with the full keyboard rules. I didnt think it would be as good as it is.
Natedogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #23
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
DUDE!

Nice phone bro...I recently had the HTC hero, long story short, it ended up in a glass of water and I found a loophole in my sprint contract, so I'm officially free right now. I'm going prepaid whilst looking around for the next best thing, and this is one of the phones I was seriously considering.

some questions for you.

how is maemo 5? I've never used it before...kinda curious how it stacks up to something like the Android platform I had on my Hero. How's the app selection?
the phone has only been released since november or december i think and the apps selection is pretty thin. maemo 5 is great and it will only get bigger because the maemo community is people like you and me. anyone can develop new apps and programs without developmental tools. to show you how open the n900 is, here is a video of a n900 booting up android and maemo 5

Quote:
How do you like the resistive touchscreen? Is it pretty responsive?
its responsive. do i like the resistive?? it has its pro and cons. one of the things is that i can actually use it with my gloves on or use a stylus.
also, it can take alot more abuse. where as the iphone can easily crack and stop functioning.

Quote:
As far as the size...could you compare it to the Motorola droid? (don't know if you've had a chance to handle it or not, you can only get so much of an idea from the specs).
never held a droid. but compared to the iphone, its a little shorter and thicker.

Quote:
How's T-mobiles network, and how much is the minimum for their data plan?
never had a problem and its the cheapest plan also. i got the family plan for 2 phones, 1000 minutes and unlimited data and text for $120

Quote:
I'm literally excited for you, as you're one of the first people I've heard from that actually HAS the phone.
i was standing at my front door waiting for the ups guy! i think this phone blows away the iphone. i havent' experienced the android platform, but i heard is pretty good. you can't go wrong either way.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #24
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
I had heard the durability issue RE the iphone prior to purchasing one, but I have yet to have a problem with mine, been dropped on pavement more than once, and the functionality of it is beyond reproach.
my wifes iphone casing cracked when it fell out of her pocket and hit the tile in the kitchen. my friends touchscreen didn't respond after it also fell.
here is a video of a guy who did a durability test on the n900. its crazy how much punishment this phone can take.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #25
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Touch screens wont last forever. Might be a good investment to buy some of those screen protectors. I had a samsung glide w/ a touch screen, within a year I had to go out and get a new phone because of the scratches and wear on the screen. It made the stupid thing unresponsive. Did you get phone insurance?

screw insurance! they are a rip off and they will do everything in there power to screw you over. my friend lost a phone and it took her nearly 3 months to get a replacement. when she did get one, it was a refurbished model. worse case scenario i just go back to my k800i