The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Broncos to alter offseason conditioning program in hopes of halting late-season fades

"We're going to work hard on power and those type of lifts," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Thursday. "Power and strength. The power aspect of it, we're going to work mass with some of our bigger guys. The first six games of the season, we ran the ball and stopped the run."

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14473865
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Good. Though I'd like to see what Mediator thinks. I don't think our late season fade was due only to conditioning but stale and predictable play-calling and bad gameplanning were a factor too. (and I'm a McD supporter)
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

I'd like to hear Med's opinion because it seemed that teams figured out McD in the second half of the season and the Broncos being "smaller" made it even worse.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Is Tuten still our conditioning and strength coach?
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

I think the primary reason we collapse is our lack of talent
By the second half of the season teams know what we are doing

It is harder to outscheme teams when they have several games worth of film to break down your tendencies
I think adding more talent on the lines will go a long way in preventing us from getting gashed on defense at the end of the year like we have become accustomed to
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina View Post
Good. Though I'd like to see what Mediator thinks. I don't think our late season fade was due only to conditioning but stale and predictable play-calling and bad gameplanning were a factor too. (and I'm a McD supporter)
In past seasons, one could point to key injuries as one of the factors in a late-season swoon. Last year the team was relatively healthy...
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Popps
It's so easy

Talent.

We need better players.

We played over our heads the first half, and ran into some injuries and bad luck in the second half.

I'm glad we're working on conditioning... but we need better football players at several key positions. It's very simple.

But, it's early in the cycle of a rebuild, so we'll see what happens.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
yerner
Ring of Famer

Seriously. That is some bs. By the time most football players get to the pro's they have certainly done all the different types of lifting possible. Get better football players.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Hopefully McDaniels wants to build a strong physical team, more than he's doing it because of our mid-season collapse. Lifting weights don't give you more stamina and the endurance you need like cardio and running type workouts would.

We've had plenty players on the roster capable of going in and out to relieve other players. I don't remember seeing any kind of rotation to keep guys fresh other than the normal downs substitutions.

Last edited by strafen; 02-26-2010 at 12:55 PM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Talent.

We need better players.

We played over our heads the first half, and ran into some injuries and bad luck in the second half.

I'm glad we're working on conditioning... but we need better football players at several key positions. It's very simple.

But, it's early in the cycle of a rebuild, so we'll see what happens.
there you go that makes all the BS simple . Good for you . It is so close to a total rebuild at this point and fans need to get real. I did not want a total rebuild but now I will be damn happy 2 years from now ....but IMO we will not win a game next year but I am really not mad if we are building a big strong team that will not be pushed around by anyone . We should of done this after Al wilson got hurt .I even started a thread back then that we should do what we are doing now.
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

We got friggin owned the second half at the POA. Once opposing teams figured out that they could run on our nickel package, it was over. The Oline had injuries and sucked up the middle.

We need talent more than conditioning, but I will settle for a team that at least trains hard.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #12
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

I don't know. Teams don't have Players Only meetings to say "Man, why didn't we work out harder in the off-season? Let's all do sit-ups for the next hour!"

He blames conditioning and toughness, then fields players like Ankle Tattoo, or McKinnley who gets the ball then goes into the fetal position.

Having said that, if McDaniels wants to condition them harder, I think that's a great idea. I applaud him.

But please get the pussies off the roster first.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncomutt View Post
I don't know. Teams don't have Players Only meetings to say "Man, why didn't we work out harder in the off-season? Let's all do sit-ups for the next hour!"

He blames conditioning and toughness, then fields players like Ankle Tattoo, or McKinnley who gets the ball then goes into the fetal position.

Having said that, if McDaniels wants to condition them harder, I think that's a great idea. I applaud him.

But please get the pussies off the roster first.
McD got a roster full of crap on the D side of the football . so..........

The GM Side McD has been money ! I will give him full credit !
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #14
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I'd like to hear Med's opinion because it seemed that teams figured out McD in the second half of the season and the Broncos being "smaller" made it even worse.
Everyone has everyone else figured out by the second half, and when that time came our lines just couldn't hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Hopefully McDaniels wants to build a strong physical team, more than he's doing it because of our mid-season collapse. Lifting weights don't give you more stamina and the endurance you need like cardio and running type workouts would.

We've had plenty players on the roster capable of going in and out to relieve other players. I don't remember seeing any kind of rotation to keep guys fresh other than the normal downs substitutions.
I think his point is that strong, powerful teams don't wear down like smaller finesse teams do, hence the goal to make the team bigger and stronger.

Its all a moot point if we don't find a legit difference maker on the DL and a couple good OL upgrades over Hamilton and Weigmann though. Massive weak spots from last season right there that have to be fixed.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #15
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Come on McD it's nothing that doubling the amount of pads we wear in practice won't take care of.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Put em all on the juice!
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
i don't know, i mean look at Pittsburgh the 1st season Tomlin took over. by the end of the season both Rothlesberger and Paulumaulu were on record as saying they were exhauseted, just like the rest of the team. they went through rigorous practices in mini camps and Tranining camp and by the end of the season were burnt out.

we all know McDaniels ran a much harder camp than Mike ever did, and while i don't think it is the only reason in the collapse, it probably is at least a little responsible.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Everyone has everyone else figured out by the second half, and when that time came our lines just couldn't hold up.

I think his point is that strong, powerful teams don't wear down like smaller finesse teams do, hence the goal to make the team bigger and stronger.

Its all a moot point if we don't find a legit difference maker on the DL and a couple good OL upgrades over Hamilton and Weigmann though. Massive weak spots from last season right there that have to be fixed.
That's where I was going. I think they DID wear down because we were obviously more succesful at running the ball and defending it in the first half of the season and we had pretty much the same players in there. Of course we need to get better players, but why did these guys struggle so much with something they had been doing relatively well just a month before? Conditioning had to be a factor. Obviously McD thinks so too.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #19
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
That's where I was going. I think they DID wear down because we were obviously more succesful at running the ball and defending it in the first half of the season and we had pretty much the same players in there. Of course we need to get better players, but why did these guys struggle so much with something they had been doing relatively well just a month before? Conditioning had to be a factor. Obviously McD thinks so too.
I thought we stopped being able to run the ball when Harris went down. I don't know, maybe I'm not remembering correctly but didn't the O-Line suck ass at run blocking after that? From what I saw it was the Offense's inability to move the ball that cost us many of those games. Couldn't pick up a yard when we needed two, couldn't even sustain a drive when the D did get stops or turnovers.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #20
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

lol some of you idiots keep on hating - EVERY team goes through the same process of making changes just like these.

By what some of you are saying - since they're pro's and everything - we should just not worry about that aspect of football and just worry about getting better players. I think what some of you guys don't realize is something called DETAIL.

No one is saying this is going to change everything - it's just one of the DETAILS/aspects that will contribute to it.

The level of stupidity going on here is second to none.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #21
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
In past seasons, one could point to key injuries as one of the factors in a late-season swoon. Last year the team was relatively healthy...
Where in the 5 posts above yours did anyone mention injuries? (Including the quoted article & McD blurb)
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #22
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

This is hilarious because they run this exact same article every off season about how Tuten has some great new work out program so they won't fade and low and behold they always do so it's either Tuten or??
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #23
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Ryan Harris was a key injury. We don't have to have a lot of injuries to upset chemistry. A key loss on the offensive line was enough to start upsetting the apple cart...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #24
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post

It has been this way for far too long
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
This is hilarious because they run this exact same article every off season about how Tuten has some great new work out program so they won't fade and low and behold they always do so it's either Tuten or??
i truthfully think the entire strength and conditioning staff needs to be replaced.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote