The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default Taking the Next Step/ Ryan McBean

Taking the Next Step

By Zach Eisendrath
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- To some in the general public, the 2009 season might be framed as Ryan McBean's breakout campaign.

And it's hard to argue with that notion.

After spending the majority of his first two seasons in the NFL between practice squad tenures with the Steelers and Broncos, McBean earned his first extended look of playing time this season, starting 14 games on a young and promising defensive line.

Overall, the 25-year-old was satisfied with how he performed in year one as a starter, but he knows he has plenty of work ahead of him to get to where he wants his game to be.

"There are a lot of things I did well and a lot of things I need to improve on," McBean said. "My focus for this coming offseason is to work on things that I need to improve on and stay consistent with the things that I was doing well."

At the forefront of that offseason agenda for McBean is working on his pass-rushing skill set. After he visits family in his homeland of Kingston, Jamaica, and completes the credits necessary to earn an undergraduate degree from Oklahoma State, McBean plans on shifting his focus to becoming a more complete player.

"I was so much more of a run stopper," McBean said. "I was more focused on making sure I'm stopping the run and make sure nobody would run my side. So, with that, now I have to transfer it to pass rushing and getting up field and giving quarterbacks pressure instead of leaving it up to (Elvis Dumervil) and the rest of those guys."

McBean didn't start learning the game of football until his freshman season at Trinity High School in Euless, Texas. But if he continues to take to heart the advice given to him from his veteran counterparts as he did in 2009, the sky could be the limit for the energetic defensive lineman.

From the moment Vonnie Holliday signed with the Broncos on Sept. 5, McBean built a strong bond with the 12-year veteran. Throughout the course of the season, Holliday helped McBean with everything from his preparation and technique to the personal challenges that everyone encounters in everyday life.

McBean absorbed all of that valuable information.

"I took from Vonnie really anything and everything that he had to offer," McBean said. "During practice, if I needed something or during the game if I made a mistake, he was there to correct me on my technique and stuff like that."

"Him being here didn't just help me being on the field, but also off the field," he continued. "Because we also had personal talks about social life and stuff like that -- stuff he's been through and stuff that I'm going through right now as well. He's able to say, 'You know what? This is what I did.'"

McBean said Holliday's advice has been well appreciated in his eyes and enhanced his development.

And now, after a season filled with personal and professional growth, the 6-foot-5, 297-pounder is eager to see what he can accomplish alongside his defensive teammates in 2010.

"We did a great job together," McBean said. "Now we've just got to come back and build on that and try and do a better job than we did this year and try and really progress forward for next season ... Everybody has somewhere to improve. With that, we just come back with a great mindset and just take care of business."
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

was this written before week 7?
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

I think McBean will be a keeper.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

We're turning the DL loose!
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

He would break off 2000 errrrrrrrr wrong position.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I hope McBean can develop into a solid rotational player for the 3-4. That being said, getting extensive playing time on one of the worst DL's in the NFL is not an endorsement, its an indictment.

It was easy to see the direction of the article from who wrote it though. The latest DEN writing intern. Which means it is a fluff homer piece no matter if they are talking about drafting Maurice Clarett and Jarvis Moss

The DL does not have one legit starter, let alone being promising. All these guys need to be backups, and then they would be good backups, not awful Starters. DEN has not developed one single DL since Bert Berry and Reggie HAyward. None of these guys actually improved by the end of the year, either, they graded lower as the year went on. Hopefully they learned the right lessons. OTOH, I am nowhere near confident Any of the current DL can become core players, let alone difference makers in this defense.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I hope McBean can develop into a solid rotational player for the 3-4. That being said, getting extensive playing time on one of the worst DL's in the NFL is not an endorsement, its an indictment.

It was easy to see the direction of the article from who wrote it though. The latest DEN writing intern. Which means it is a fluff homer piece no matter if they are talking about drafting Maurice Clarett and Jarvis Moss

The DL does not have one legit starter, let alone being promising. All these guys need to be backups, and then they would be good backups, not awful Starters. DEN has not developed one single DL since Bert Berry and Reggie HAyward. None of these guys actually improved by the end of the year, either, they graded lower as the year went on. Hopefully they learned the right lessons. OTOH, I am nowhere near confident Any of the current DL can become core players, let alone difference makers in this defense.
Maybe this is the year they finally turn the DL loose.
I am tired of arguing with people here that talent makes great coaches and it doesn't matter who the coaches are if they have garbage to work with.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:

You leave Zach Eisendrath out of this!
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
enjolras
Ring of Famer

There was a noticeable drop-off in the DL quality when McBean was out. I think he has a ton of potential and really showed it last year.

This was hardly the worst defensive line in the league. It certainly wore down a bit as the year went along, and we definitely have some depth issues. However guys like Peterson, Vonnie Holiday, and Darrell Reid are all legitimate starters in the NFL. I thought the unit, as a whole, was hugely improved this year.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

I agree - the line wasn't stellar, but we shouldn't be jumping off the cliff about it. Yes, we really could do with some more talent - it would be fantastic to land a top-notch NT in the draft, for example. But if we can't do that (and there's a very good chance that it won't happen) then upgrading the quality of the backups really could make a big difference, as it would make us less likely to fade down the stretch.

Talent makes great coaches, that's true, but great coaches should be able to make adequate players out of scrubs, and whilst you still need the stars to hit the big time, no team ever wins it all by getting 22 stars to line up. Every team has its stars, and its often what you complement and support those stars with that makes the difference.
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post

Talent makes great coaches, that's true, but great coaches should be able to make adequate players out of scrubs, .
Yep and you will finish 8-8 or 9 wins at best if your offense is great. Adequate doesn't cut last month and a half and in the playoffs. This team needs talent for sure.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I hope McBean can develop into a solid rotational player for the 3-4.
He was already a solid rotational player, the only problem was the guys rotating around him and with him.

Just like Ron Fields, who is a solid rotational NT, or Holliday who is a pretty good 3rd round rush end for the 3-4.

The problem is the same thing I've been saying for what seems like forever now though. Since Trevor Pryce left there hasn't been a single good, every down and distance DL on this team.

Average DLs make hay playing with good DLs who make a difference. Does anyone really think Ray Edwards is the difference maker he looked like in spots last season? I don't, but it gets a whole lot easier to flash when you've got a guy like Jared Allen drawing all the attention on the other side.

We need a legit stud DL. Preferably at nose but end would work almost as well. At that point a young high potential guy like McBean who's already shown some value in his first stint of NFL action can start to see more play making opportunities.

The Pats did this with Seymour as they brought in Wilfork and Warren, as teams trained their sights on Seymour the younger guys learned and then broke through. The Steelers do it with Casey Hampton. He sets the tone in the middle so that guys like Brett Kiesel and Aaron Smith can go to work. The Ravens have Haloti Ngata. You need that difference maker on the front line who takes the spotlight unto himself and lets the other guys play to their strengths.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Will Baker have any impact this year?
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I'm sure he'll play a role, they didn't float him on the 53 man all season as a healthy inactive for nothing.

I'm just hoping they don't see him and Ron Fields as all we need at NT. The only way we can get by with that at NT is if we add a serious game changer at one of the DE spots.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
There was a noticeable drop-off in the DL quality when McBean was out. I think he has a ton of potential and really showed it last year.

This was hardly the worst defensive line in the league. It certainly wore down a bit as the year went along, and we definitely have some depth issues. However guys like Peterson, Vonnie Holiday, and Darrell Reid are all legitimate starters in the NFL. I thought the unit, as a whole, was hugely improved this year.
I really disagree here. I watch all 32 teams play almost every week during the season. I missed a few games this year with the weaker teams, but for the most part I have a lot of reference points on the league as a whole.

That being said, this DL got worse as the season finished. Not only did they wear down, they also got mistake prone and manhandled once teams learned how to isolate them at the POA. Not a single one of them was able to consistently hold a gap or apply pressure to the QB in the passing game the second half of the season.

As for the three DL you mentioned, none of them performed at a starting grade last year. In fact, 2 were barely depth grade. The best was Holiday who graded out as a solid Backup/rotational player. Peterson was very inconsistent and that really affects the grades. I am not sure why you thought Reid was starter caliber, he barely had a backup/ST grade.

McBean does have potential, but not as anything more than Replacement level starter IMHO.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
He was already a solid rotational player, the only problem was the guys rotating around him and with him.

Just like Ron Fields, who is a solid rotational NT, or Holliday who is a pretty good 3rd round rush end for the 3-4.

The problem is the same thing I've been saying for what seems like forever now though. Since Trevor Pryce left there hasn't been a single good, every down and distance DL on this team.

Average DLs make hay playing with good DLs who make a difference. Does anyone really think Ray Edwards is the difference maker he looked like in spots last season? I don't, but it gets a whole lot easier to flash when you've got a guy like Jared Allen drawing all the attention on the other side.

We need a legit stud DL. Preferably at nose but end would work almost as well. At that point a young high potential guy like McBean who's already shown some value in his first stint of NFL action can start to see more play making opportunities.

The Pats did this with Seymour as they brought in Wilfork and Warren, as teams trained their sights on Seymour the younger guys learned and then broke through. The Steelers do it with Casey Hampton. He sets the tone in the middle so that guys like Brett Kiesel and Aaron Smith can go to work. The Ravens have Haloti Ngata. You need that difference maker on the front line who takes the spotlight unto himself and lets the other guys play to their strengths.
I can agree with this for the most part. A DL needs at least one Elite Player to function at a high level. Solid Coaching can make the rest of the DL work at a level better than the sum of its parts if they have at least one Elite player up front.

The only part I disagree with is that the DL can survive unless all the current starters are backups/rotational players. Not one of these guys graded out at starting level last year. The scheme protected them for awhile, but then they totally fell apart as a unit and individually.

I guess what I am saying is I think you are being more generous in your evaluation of where the current starters are at than I am. I was vastly underwhelmed by their performance to end the year. IF they get an Elite DL to help them, the unit might get to average with exceptional coaching. However, watching them get beat up by vastly inferior NFL Starting level OL the last four games of the year was just that bad.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #17
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:

So what's McBean's LTI?
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #18
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Funny, was just thinking about that and doing a bunch of reading on him today.
His scouting reports remain intriguing. Then again, so did Marcus Thomas'.

The fact that he was never activated was discouraging. But, we are talking about a practice squad guy. From all accounts, he's got the physical talent...
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:06 AM   #19
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I can agree with this for the most part. A DL needs at least one Elite Player to function at a high level. Solid Coaching can make the rest of the DL work at a level better than the sum of its parts if they have at least one Elite player up front.

The only part I disagree with is that the DL can survive unless all the current starters are backups/rotational players. Not one of these guys graded out at starting level last year. The scheme protected them for awhile, but then they totally fell apart as a unit and individually.

I guess what I am saying is I think you are being more generous in your evaluation of where the current starters are at than I am. I was vastly underwhelmed by their performance to end the year. IF they get an Elite DL to help them, the unit might get to average with exceptional coaching. However, watching them get beat up by vastly inferior NFL Starting level OL the last four games of the year was just that bad.
The DL did fade off pretty hard, and with older guys like Holliday that does make me wonder about age related decline, but with someone like McBean I think we got more than we could have ever expected in '09, and his youth gives him significant potential to improve on the decline in play to end '09.

The defense obviously wasn't nearly as good as the unit looked early in the season and ranked statistically, but it also shouldn't be as bad as it looked at the tail end of the season, and the same would apply to individual players.

But I agree with your general sentiment and have said the same thing on here before. We relied almost completely on scheme to cover up weaknesses in the DL and when teams figured that out they destroyed us. We need a major talent overhaul, I just think that long term Ryan McBean is more part of that solution than part of the current problem.