The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,748

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Draft Watch: AFC West

Draft Watch: AFC West



Denver Broncos

Denverís drafting has improved in recent years after it struggled mightily in the first several years of the 2000s. Denverís draft fortune turned around some in 2006. The team had three picks in the fourth round. Two of the picks were receiver Brandon Marshall and defensive end Elvis Dumervil. They are two of the best players in their positions in the NFL. Starting guard Chris Kuper was taken in the fifth-round that year. However, there have been some poor picks in Denver in recent years. In 2007, Denver traded up to take defensive end Jarvis Moss at No. 17. He has been terrible in both the 4-3 and the 3-4 defenses under two regimes in Denver. He has started one game in three NFL seasons and has only 3.5 career sacks. He could soon be cut. After taking Moss, Denver took defensive end Tim Crowder in the second round in 2007. He was cut last year.


kansas city chefs

The focus of a look-back at Kansas Cityís recent draft picks has to be the slow starts of its past three No. 1 picks. In 2009, Kansas City used the No. 4 overall pick on defensive lineman Tyson Jackson. In 2008, Kansas City, which had two first-round picks as a result of the Jared Allen trade with Minnesota, took defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey at No. 5 and tackle Branden Albert at No. 15. None of the three players made the impact expected from players taken at those draft slots. All three have time to develop, but there is some concern there. Kansas City has gotten some production from late-round picks recently. In 2009, the Chiefs took kicker Ryan Succop with the final pick of the draft. He was Kansas Cityís best rookie last season. He has a big leg and is reliable. He could be around for several years. In 2008, Kansas City took cornerback Brandon Carr in the fifth round. He has started every NFL game of his career and he and 2008 second-round pick Brandon Flowers are bright spots on Kansas Cityís defense.


Oakland Raiders

The Raiders have had their share of both busts and gems in recent years. But the busts have been devastating to the program. The bust talk in Oakland starts with quarterback JaMarcus Russell. The No. 1 overall pick in 2007 has been awful and now he has to fight to try to regain his starting job. The Raidersí next two top picks -- running back Darren McFadden (No. 4 in 2008) and receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey (No. 7 in 2009) --- have also resembled busts in the early stages of their careers. McFadden has had one good game and he has been injury prone. He has been nothing like the explosive star he was at Arkansas. Itís early, but McFadden has to show something soon. Heyward-Bey came into the league with major questions about his NFL readiness and hands. Those questions remain after he had only nine catches in 11 starts. Oakland has done decently in the latter rounds recently. Running back Michael Bush was taken in the fourth round in 2007 and he may be the teamís best running back. Receiver Chaz Schilens was a seventh-rounder in 2008. He has potential to be a solid No. 1 receiver. Linebacker Trevor Scott was taken a round ahead of Schilens and he has nice pass-rushing skills. Safety Tyvon Branch was taken in the fourth round in 2008 and he had a fine season in 2009. Defensive end Matt Shaughnessy and receiver Louis Murphy were taken in the fourth round last year. They both were solid contributors as rookies. Oakland has some good young talent, itís just not the young talent it is paying a lot of money to that is producing.


San Diego Chargers


The Chargersí recent draft classes have been neither wonderful nor horrible. The team has gotten some good production out of the classes and it hasnít struck out much. The only top pick not to do much is 2007 No. 1 pick Craig Davis. Nicknamed ďBuster,Ē Davis looks like he may be a bust. The No. 30 overall pick just canít stay healthy. The team has done well with finding some late-round gems. Starting right tackle Jeromey Clary was a sixth-rounder in 2006. Linebacker Brandon Siler was a seventh-rounder in 2007. He has a chance to be a difference-maker. Receiver Legedu Naanee was a fifth-round pick in 2007 and he is a solid part of the offense. Safety Kevin Ellison, a sixth-round pick last season, looks like he could be a long-time starter.




http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/10098
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,748

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,975

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

lol?
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue
 
no-pseudo-fan's Avatar
 
Follow me...

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: EPT
Posts: 2,113

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo
Default

"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,975

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
KCStud
Ring of Famer
 
KCStud's Avatar
 
AmeriStanzi!

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,292

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Draft Watch: AFC West



Denver Broncos

Denverís drafting has improved in recent years after it struggled mightily in the first several years of the 2000s. Denverís draft fortune turned around some in 2006. The team had three picks in the fourth round. Two of the picks were receiver Brandon Marshall and defensive end Elvis Dumervil. They are two of the best players in their positions in the NFL. Starting guard Chris Kuper was taken in the fifth-round that year. However, there have been some poor picks in Denver in recent years. In 2007, Denver traded up to take defensive end Jarvis Moss at No. 17. He has been terrible in both the 4-3 and the 3-4 defenses under two regimes in Denver. He has started one game in three NFL seasons and has only 3.5 career sacks. He could soon be cut. After taking Moss, Denver took defensive end Tim Crowder in the second round in 2007. He was cut last year.


kansas city chefs

The focus of a look-back at Kansas Cityís recent draft picks has to be the slow starts of its past three No. 1 picks. In 2009, Kansas City used the No. 4 overall pick on defensive lineman Tyson Jackson. In 2008, Kansas City, which had two first-round picks as a result of the Jared Allen trade with Minnesota, took defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey at No. 5 and tackle Branden Albert at No. 15. None of the three players made the impact expected from players taken at those draft slots. All three have time to develop, but there is some concern there. Kansas City has gotten some production from late-round picks recently. In 2009, the Chiefs took kicker Ryan Succop with the final pick of the draft. He was Kansas Cityís best rookie last season. He has a big leg and is reliable. He could be around for several years. In 2008, Kansas City took cornerback Brandon Carr in the fifth round. He has started every NFL game of his career and he and 2008 second-round pick Brandon Flowers are bright spots on Kansas Cityís defense.


Oakland Raiders

The Raiders have had their share of both busts and gems in recent years. But the busts have been devastating to the program. The bust talk in Oakland starts with quarterback JaMarcus Russell. The No. 1 overall pick in 2007 has been awful and now he has to fight to try to regain his starting job. The Raidersí next two top picks -- running back Darren McFadden (No. 4 in 2008) and receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey (No. 7 in 2009) --- have also resembled busts in the early stages of their careers. McFadden has had one good game and he has been injury prone. He has been nothing like the explosive star he was at Arkansas. Itís early, but McFadden has to show something soon. Heyward-Bey came into the league with major questions about his NFL readiness and hands. Those questions remain after he had only nine catches in 11 starts. Oakland has done decently in the latter rounds recently. Running back Michael Bush was taken in the fourth round in 2007 and he may be the teamís best running back. Receiver Chaz Schilens was a seventh-rounder in 2008. He has potential to be a solid No. 1 receiver. Linebacker Trevor Scott was taken a round ahead of Schilens and he has nice pass-rushing skills. Safety Tyvon Branch was taken in the fourth round in 2008 and he had a fine season in 2009. Defensive end Matt Shaughnessy and receiver Louis Murphy were taken in the fourth round last year. They both were solid contributors as rookies. Oakland has some good young talent, itís just not the young talent it is paying a lot of money to that is producing.


San Diego Chargers


The Chargersí recent draft classes have been neither wonderful nor horrible. The team has gotten some good production out of the classes and it hasnít struck out much. The only top pick not to do much is 2007 No. 1 pick Craig Davis. Nicknamed ďBuster,Ē Davis looks like he may be a bust. The No. 30 overall pick just canít stay healthy. The team has done well with finding some late-round gems. Starting right tackle Jeromey Clary was a sixth-rounder in 2006. Linebacker Brandon Siler was a seventh-rounder in 2007. He has a chance to be a difference-maker. Receiver Legedu Naanee was a fifth-round pick in 2007 and he is a solid part of the offense. Safety Kevin Ellison, a sixth-round pick last season, looks like he could be a long-time starter.




http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/10098
Dorsey was actually one of the better 3-4 DE's in the NFL. And you can't seriously be judging Jackson? How about we do the same for Ayers since he didn't do anything last year as well?
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,748

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"


"Sapientia et doctrina"







Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,748

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Dorsey was actually one of the better 3-4 DE's in the NFL. And you can't seriously be judging Jackson? How about we do the same for Ayers since he didn't do anything last year as well?

Dorsey is playing like the 5th overall pick?

uh.....yeah..that's the ticket....



Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"
Ancora imparo
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,748

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilife View Post
Ancora imparo

"Sum Etiam Eruditio"
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"
I say we hijack this and turn it into a foreign language thread. Who's with me. VAMONOS!!!
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue
 
no-pseudo-fan's Avatar
 
Follow me...

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: EPT
Posts: 2,113

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo
Default

lu'

As long as we don't use pig latin.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,748

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilife View Post
I say we hijack this and turn it into a foreign language thread. Who's with me. VAMONOS!!!

"συμφωνία"




Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue
 
no-pseudo-fan's Avatar
 
Follow me...

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: EPT
Posts: 2,113

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo
Default

Hab SoSlI' Quch!
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
"συμφωνία"





Que?

Well that's about the extent of my forign languagle. Unless you can't misspelling a langage.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #16
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
[sympʰo̞ːnˈiaː]
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Denver Broncos