The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Woody's Mailbag: addresses the McNabb & the sale of the Broncos

Woody's Mailbag: Broncos rumors abound, but don't believe the hype

Derron from Canada asks Woody about Donovan McNabb
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

Posted: 02/25/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Rumors that the Broncos are interested in Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb are flying around. Do you think he would be a good fit for the Broncos, or a bad thing?

-- Derron, Campbell River, BC, Canada

Derron: Go, Canada. I've heard those rumors about Donovan McNabb. It's typical blog-brain stuff. Don't believe it. It will never happen.

Maybe we can shut it down right here.

1.) McNabb does not fit in the Josh McDaniels' offensive juggernaut. Or jugger-not. He likes to freelance too much. He's not a dinker. He is not a system quarterback. He's too old for what McDaniels is trying to do with the Broncos.

2. McNabb would never join the Broncos. He still seeks a Super Bowl victory, or, at least, a return to the Super Bowl. And that's not going to happen here any time soon. He wouldn't want to play in McDaniels' scheme. He doesn't want to leave Philly. He wouldn't have the receivers here, with Marshall gone, to help him enough.

3.) His contract is too hefty, and his health is always too iffy.

4.) The Broncos already have Kyle Orton, and they're not going to sit him or move him for at least another year. Other than all that ...

Woody: Have you heard from your sources whether there is any truth to the rumor Pat Bowlen is looking to sell the Broncos? I know you can't believe everything you read on the Internet — it's how World War I was started. Still, if the rumor is true, doesn't Edgar Kaiser still have first right of refusal on the sale? Is there any remote possibility the Broncos could leave Denver? Please say it ain't so!

-- Wood, Denver

Wood: Nice name. Yes, I've heard all about the rumors that Pat Bowlen is selling the team. Don't believe it. Won't ever happen. Stop me if you've heard those words recently.

Bowlen's entire life is the Broncos. He won't sell. He'll die as the Broncos owner. He wants, like McNabb, to get back to the Super Bowl. Once you've had the ring, you want another and another. That's the main reason he agreed to fire Mike Shanahan. He didn't think they would be a Super Bowl team again without the change.

But Bowlen got more than he bargained for. He never thought Josh McDaniels would come in and deal Jay Cutler. But Bowlen has had to stand up, sometimes reluctantly, for McDaniels.

Let me tell you the real deal on Bowlen. As he told me in a front-page interview last summer, he is suffering from short-term memory loss. It does affect him and how he does business, and he has turned over a lot of authority to Joe Ellis.

Bowlen has said to me: "I stopped doing the stuff I don't want to do." Now in his late 60s, he is trying to slow down some, but he doesn't want out of the Broncos.

I asked him if any of his kids were interested in taking over ownership of the franchise one day, and he said: "They haven't indicated that to me." But there is some interest with a son and a daughter, and I'm certain this team will be passed down to the next generation.

Think Steinbrenner, the Spanos son in San Diego, what's happened in Indianapolis and Pittsburgh. Franchises tend to stay in the family these days, not only because it's somewhat difficult to find someone to shell out $800 million for a sports franchise, and the value of the Broncos does continue to rise, and the revenues continue to rise.
Bowlen is not the richest man in the NFL (because all of his income comes from the Broncos, and he must share the profits with other family members), and he has struggled at times after the new stadium was built (he had to pay for about a quarter of it).

The economy affected club level and luxury box sales and the wild spending, honestly, by Mike Shanahan on free agents did not help, either. But Bowlen does OK.

He told me: "I make enough to take care of my family."

Some radio stations said he was tired of owning the team and wanted to sell, and that got people talking. No substance whatsoever to that rumor.

I fully expect the Bowlen family to own the franchise for a long, long time. And I know Bowlen is not selling. He has no interest in sitting at his beach house in Hawaii and watching the sun set. He'd rather be at Dove Valley every day. And, even though it's never mentioned, Bowlen has a chance at going into the Pro Football Hall of Fame someday — if the team were to win another Super Bowl or two, and because he's very been influential in the area of TV contracts that have skyrocketed while he has been a member of and chairman of the TV committee.

The team is not moving. Stan Kroenke (who now has invested so much money in Arsenal, the English Premier League franchise) isn't going to buy in (and still has a minority ownership in the Rams); there's nobody — especially Edgar Kaiser Jr., or Phil Anschutz — wanting to buy the franchise, and Pat wants so badly to return to the Super Bowl.

And he has been, most of the time, a great owner for the Broncos and for Denver. So, let's shut down that rumor, too.

Woody: It's not going to do the Broncos any good to trade for a top quarterback if he's got no one to throw to. Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Stokley are good, but we need to replace Brandon Marshall with another top receiver of Marshall's talent. Who do you like out there in free agency?

-- Jim Gray, Tulsa

Jim: I checked the complete free agency list the other day, and it is one of the saddest of all times.

Specifically, among unrestricted wide receivers, you can get Terrell Owens. Uh. There's a reason Marshall was called "Baby T.O."

Is Terrell worth it? He didn't have much of a season in Buffalo. Could you put up with him for a year? Maybe Josh would think he could rehabilitate T.O. Probably not.

I like Antonio Bryant from Tampa Bay, who's still young enough and talented enough, but is somewhat of an enigma, and Kevin Walter, came on in Houston after returning from injury.

But the receiver that I like best of all is a guy named Domenik Hixon. The Broncos never should have let him go. He can play. He was hurt at the beginning of last season and lost his job.

But he still came up with some big catches for the Giants, and he's a return man, and the Broncos should bring him home.

My mind also wraps around Isaac Bruce. Sure, he's lost so much, but he was one of the best, and the price might be right, and I think he has another year left.

Call me crazy, call me stupid, but don't call me late for dinner.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14465887
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

I have read Woody in a while. I didn't realize that he's become a troll. He's worse than BF7 and friends.

Quote:
He still seeks a Super Bowl victory, or, at least, a return to the Super Bowl. And that's not going to happen here any time soon.
Quote:
McNabb does not fit in the Josh McDaniels' offensive juggernaut. Or jugger-not.
Quote:
He never thought Josh McDaniels would come in and deal Jay Cutler. But Bowlen has had to stand up, sometimes reluctantly, for McDaniels.
Is it possible to put him on ignore?
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casson View Post
I have read Woody in a while. I didn't realize that he's become a troll. He's worse than BF7 and friends.

Is it possible to put him on ignore?
Psst. This is much more effective than ignore.
Attached Images

Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncomutt View Post
Psst. This is much more effective than ignore.
And what's effective about this?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Depends on if your a tall rooster
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Or a big cock?
Old 02-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

First thing woody says is wrong. McNabb can and does dink and dunk and he is not a freelancer.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

"But Bowlen got more than he bargained for. He never thought Josh McDaniels would come in and deal Jay Cutler. But Bowlen has had to stand up, sometimes reluctantly, for McDaniels. "

Bowlen dealth Jay Cutler and it was a smart move.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
"But Bowlen got more than he bargained for. He never thought Josh McDaniels would come in and deal Jay Cutler. But Bowlen has had to stand up, sometimes reluctantly, for McDaniels. "

Bowlen dealth Jay Cutler and it was a smart move.
Bowlen before McDaniels showed up: "Cutler is the man around here now."

I'm sure it was all him that traded Jay. You really think Jay is gone if any other coach had been hired?
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post

I'm sure it was all him that traded Jay. You really think Jay is gone if any other coach had been hired?
Does it really matter?

If Cutler refuses to call Bowlen back, regardless of the coach change that was made (which is possible, given Cutler's pouty attitude once Shanahan was dismissed), then yes, I think Jay is gone.

And look! He is! Holy ****!

Glad we're going to rehash this again though.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
We can hope so.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #12
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Does it really matter?

If Cutler refuses to call Bowlen back, regardless of the coach change that was made (which is possible, given Cutler's pouty attitude once Shanahan was dismissed), then yes, I think Jay is gone.

And look! He is! Holy ****!

Glad we're going to rehash this again though.
There is 0 chance Cutler is gone without McDaniels showing up. No other coach or GM that was on our radar is that bad at dealing with players. Any smart GM would have made Cutler retire if he didn't want to play.

We can drop the act that it was Bowlen though. Bowlen didn't suddenly change the way he does things after all these years. He is not giving away the starting QB without the head coach wanting it to happen.

Anyways, I can see how it was for the better. We got 6 less turnovers. That makes up for far fewer points and yards. That makes up for the huge decline in 3rd down and red zone production. Having that good personality at QB is all that matters now!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
We can hope so.
You mean you could hope so. Some of us watch for football and don't care about the personalities of the big guys being paid to run full speed into each other.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonedenvermooseguy View Post
and what's effective about this?

6-0 ↑

2-8 ↓
Attached Images

Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:

I do because Jay Cutler is fools gold. He won't listen and he won't develop better mechanics. He's a type 1 diabetic, that alone was good enough reason to get rid of him. The fact that he's basically Jeff George is a another good reason.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #16
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
McNabb can and does dink and dunk and he is not a freelancer.
I was thinking the same thing. I mostly agree with Woody on the McNabb topic but he is certainly not a "freelancer".
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
You mean you could hope so. Some of us watch for football and don't care about the personalities of the big guys being paid to run full speed into each other.
Cutler won't be in the league in 4 years. Especailly if there is a lockout.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #18
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Jay Cutler hurt my feelings. I will cry now.
Don't worry, it will be ok.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #19
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I mostly agree with Woody on the McNabb topic but he is certainly not a "freelancer".
The eagles throw more than they run and they aren't all deep passes and Reid runs a west coast style offense which replaces the running game with short passes. Woody What's-his-nuts has never known **** about football. It's a amazing people consult him on these matters.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #20
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Don't worry, it will be ok.
. Well you've got two choices. Sack up and deal with, or root for Chicago.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #21
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Did you not watch Cutler continually make the same mistakes over and over the past few years? The guy is regressing, not progressing.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
We can drop the act that it was Bowlen though. Bowlen didn't suddenly change the way he does things after all these years. He is not giving away the starting QB without the head coach wanting it to happen.
Believe what you want, but here is Bowlen's exact statement before the trade:

"Numerous attempts to contact Jay Cutler in the last 10 days, both by head coach Josh McDaniels and myself, have been unsuccessful.
A conversation with his agent earlier today clearly communicated and confirmed to us that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos.
We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded."
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #23
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
Did you not watch Cutler continually make the same mistakes over and over the past few years? The guy is regressing, not progressing.
This offense and every young player on it, other than Marshall, regressed when Cutler left. This offense was getting much better each year as the all of these young guys grew together. What Cutler did this past year has nothing to do with this. Coaching is huge and he didn't have an offensive coach. He may not be Elway 2 but he is ten times better than Orton. At least he makes the players around him better.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #24
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
. Well you've got two choices. Sack up and deal with, or root for Chicago.
I like option C better. Cry about it for a couple more years until they get a good QB again or fire McDaniels.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #25
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
This offense and every young player on it, other than Marshall, regressed when Cutler left. This offense was getting much better each year as the all of these young guys grew together. What Cutler did this past year has nothing to do with this. Coaching is huge and he didn't have an offensive coach. He may not be Elway 2 but he is ten times better than Orton. At least he makes the players around him better.
It didn't get better. It stayed the same.