The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Who might our new starting Center be?

With Wiegmann gone, we're going into our first offseason in a long time not knowing who will be anchoring the OL. Could it be a FA like Kevin Mawae? Maybe a rookie found in the draft? Or prehaps someone already on the roster like Seth Olsen. What do you guys think?
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I doubt we go for Mawae.

I would think we are looking at maybe Olsen, but I wouldn't be surprised to us swing a deal for a backup somewhere who might have some promise.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I wouldn't mind us getting Chris Spencer if he was available for cheap.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I'm sure we have some back-ups. I'll be more concerned about getting a solid long-term starter
Speaking of Seth Olsen, I was doing some research and couldn't find anything listing him as a center in college.
I did find this scouting report, though...
Quote:
Positives: Naturally large man with good weight distribution. Good initial quickness off the snap. Very good hand placement and upper-body strength. Seems to enjoy the physical hand-to-hand combat inside the trenches. Good strength to latch onto the defender, turn and either sustain his position or toss the defender onto ground for a pancake block. Underrated short-area lateral quickness and balance to hold up in pass protection. Plays with good leverage despite his height. Versatile blocker who has started at right guard, right tackle and left tackle over the past two years. Impressive week of practice at the East-West Shrine game.
Negatives: Strong and technically refined, but isn't an elite athlete. Only phone-booth quickness. Struggles adjusting in space at the second level. Lumbers after a few steps and is forced to lunge at defenders. Lacks the deep kick-step and elite lateral quickness to handle the left tackle position, though he has experience there. May struggle on the outside at right tackle.
From NFL.com

Quote:
Overview
Nationally underrated, Olsen leaves Iowa as a first-team All-Big Ten selection and a rising prospect on NFL boards due to his size, strength, durability and versatility. A four-year contributor, Olsen started each of the past two seasons, primarily on the right side of the line, but also seeing some action at left tackle.
He was first-team All-Big Ten selection by the media and coaches while primarily at right guard in 2008 after garnering honorable mention honors at right tackle as a junior. A strong showing throughout the week at the East-West Shrine Game might have secured Olsen's place as a second-day draft selection. Had an arm span of 33 1/8 inches and a hand span of 9 1/2 inches at the combine.

Last edited by strafen; 02-24-2010 at 07:46 PM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I think they will be looking at power blocking centers in the draft. Pouncey, Walton, and E. Olsen could all be options. Kuper and Olsen are probably the guards unless we add a free agent or draft that position. I don't see many options via free agency for center
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Why all of the buzz about Olsen playing center? He's never played the position.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
That's what I've just found out.
Though he played guard and tackle in college, it's tackle that seems to be his strong point...
Old 02-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

CBS Sports.com lists the top-100 2010 prospects for the 2010 draft.
Only two centers made that list.

Maurkice Pouncey
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 318 | Position:OL | College: Florida

Quote:
02/11/2010 - PRO POTENTIAL: OL Maurkice Pouncey - Pouncey, who declared for the NFL draft on Jan. 11, has accepted an invitation to attend the NFL combine in Indianapolis. He's projected as a first-to second-round pick.
02/02/2010 - OL Maurkice Pouncey, one of five Florida Gators this season to declare early for the NFL draft, is working out at Disney's Wide World of Sports while twin brother Mike Pouncey prepares for another year in Gainesville. The decision to leave his brother was difficult but necessary, Pouncey told the Sentinel on Monday. Mike, a guard, will play center, Maurkice's old position, in 2010. "I felt like I wanted to start something new with my life," said Pouncey, who trains with Tom Shaw's Performance Enhancement. "Once we got a lot of information back, we talked about the fact that if he came back, he'd do a great job at center and be more versatile at the next level. The decision became a little easier once we both realized that." Pouncey, a potential firstrounder and top center in the draft, said he has accepted an invitation to the NFL Scouting Combine beginning Feb. 24. The Gators lost four other juniors - TE Aaron Hernandez, DE Carlos Dunlap, CB Joe Haden and S Major Wright -to the draft. "I'm a competitor, a leader," said Pouncey about why a team should draft him. "I'm all for the team. I feel like I'm athletic enough." Urban Meyer's job flipflopping and uncertainty surrounding the program did not affect Pouncey's decision, he said. "He's definitely going to be back," Pouncey said. "When he did decide to take time off, it was just a little bit of stress." - The Orlando Sentinel.com
Player Ratings
PositionOverallPos. RankProj. Round
C3011-2
The other one is perhaps my first choice, simply because he's from Boston College.

Matt Tennant
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 290 | Position:C | College: Boston College

Quote:
02/15/2010 - PRO POTENTIAL: C Matt Tennant - He's considered one of the top centers in the upcoming NFL draft, and he would continue the Eagles' long procession of offensive linemen into the pros. 01/27/2010 - Senior Bowl, Tuesday: Two centers, Mike Tennant (Boston College) and Eric Olsen (Notre Dame) both stood strong in one-on-one drills and team play. Despite measuring 6-4 and 290 pounds, Tennant anchors very well against guys like Thomas, outweighing him by 40 pounds. Olsen does not lose the leverage battle often, either. - Rob Rang and Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com
Player Ratings
PositionOverallPos. RankProj. Round
C6522-3

Last edited by strafen; 02-24-2010 at 08:11 PM..
Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Haha!!
I think I just found out the confusion about Olsen. (I hope...)
There's an Eric Olsen center from Notre Dame who is also highly regarded center...
Maybe that's who some here are referring to.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

This guy is on our roster:

Dustin Fry, Center

Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 326 lbs.
College: Clemson
Born: in
Acquired: Free Agent, 2010
Pro Year: 2nd
Year with Broncos: 1st
NFL Games Played/Started: 4/0
Postseason: /

Fry is a second-year center who spent the 2009 season on Carolina's practice squad. He was selected by St. Louis in the fifth found (139th overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft and appeared in four games (0 starts) on special teams with St. Louis in 2007. He spent time on the practice squad with Cleveland in 2008 and St. Louis (2007-08).
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
This guy is on our roster:

Dustin Fry, Center

Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 326 lbs.
College: Clemson
Born: in
Acquired: Free Agent, 2010
Pro Year: 2nd
Year with Broncos: 1st
NFL Games Played/Started: 4/0
Postseason: /

Fry is a second-year center who spent the 2009 season on Carolina's practice squad. He was selected by St. Louis in the fifth found (139th overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft and appeared in four games (0 starts) on special teams with St. Louis in 2007. He spent time on the practice squad with Cleveland in 2008 and St. Louis (2007-08).
I hope we can do better than that...
Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Best bet is to check the N.E. practice squad.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Khan told me mid season that he liked Olsen but as a guard and he may take some time to develop.

I would feel better about bringing in a Vet at C and drafting a LG but I doubt Bowlen opens the pocket book to bring in a big name. He said in a postseason interview not to expect any big time FA's though C is not a glamor position, maybe they can land someone cheap.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
Best bet is to check the N.E. practice squad.
And you ain't kiddin'!
Fortunaley, I checked and they don't have a center in the PS

Last edited by strafen; 02-24-2010 at 08:20 PM..
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't see us starting a rookie, and Olsen isn't a center.

I'd put my money on picking up a veteran and looking to find someone to groom in the draft.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #17
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

hoping like hell for Zydrunas Ilgauskas
spdirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #18
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
I don't see us starting a rookie, and Olsen isn't a center.

I'd put my money on picking up a veteran and looking to find someone to groom in the draft.
Me neither, but I think we could have a good one in this year's draft and groom him.
The problem is, we don't currently have a center that a rookie could learn from, but then again, somebody could also emerge from TC.
We'll see...
Old 02-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #19
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

JD Walton - that's who I want us to pick up in the 3rd round. Let him compete with Olsen and who ever is good enough to start, we go with it. Screw picking up some middle level over priced FA talent. Put the beef up there and just say get it done.

ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #20
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
JD Walton - that's who I want us to pick up in the 3rd round. Let him compete with Olsen and who ever is good enough to start, we go with it. Screw picking up some middle level over priced FA talent. Put the beef up there and just say get it done.

He seems to be a good pick up also.
If we're making a permanent swith to the power block scheme, then you may want to read the bold part on the quote below...

Quote:
Latest News
01/27/2010 - Senior Bowl, Tuesday: Baylor center J.D. Walton distanced himself a bit Tuesday from his counterparts Ted Larsen (North Carolina State) and Jeff Byers (USC). Despite his time in a predominately zone-blocking system while with the Bears, he's held up well in the physical battles inside. The same could not be said for Larsen, a former defensive tackle who has strong hands to grab hold of the defender, but still has some work to do in maintaining leverage. When going against stouter defenders, such as Alabama's Terrance Cody and Tennessee's Dan Williams, for example, Larsen struggled to get the snap off and then get his hands on the defender. Many of his snaps in drills were bounced back to the coaches and he was consistently pushed back into the pocket. Byers was moved between guard and center, and while athletic and tough, he struggled with bigger, stronger defenders. - Rob Rang and Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com
12/24/2009 - 2009 ASSOCIATED PRESS FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICAN: CenterJ.D. Walton, senior, 6-3, 305, Baylor, has been selected First Team All-American for the 2009 college football season as voted on by The Associated Press. - AP Sports
Old 02-25-2010, 01:11 AM   #21
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Seth Olsen is not a center. With Lichtensteiger gone, we'll have to draft somebody.

But allow me to propose a darkhorse candidate: Ben Hamilton. Guy won the Rimington Award in college and filled in almost a full year in '02 when Nalen was out, so he definitely knows the position. He has the experience and smarts to captain the line, and would be less of a blocking liability there than he was at guard.

We'll see.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:54 AM   #22
Premier-Ace55
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Seth Olsen is not a center. With Lichtensteiger gone, we'll have to draft somebody.

But allow me to propose a darkhorse candidate: Ben Hamilton. Guy won the Rimington Award in college and filled in almost a full year in '02 when Nalen was out, so he definitely knows the position. He has the experience and smarts to captain the line, and would be less of a blocking liability there than he was at guard.

We'll see.
I think he's done with the broncos
Premier-Ace55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:43 AM   #23
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

We'll see.
He's also an unrestricted FA who got benched from his LG job last year, with Mike Shanahan in Washington desperately needing OGs.

Hambone is almost definitely gone. He's going to decide between Houston, Washington, and retirement.

The speed with which they cut Weigmann makes me think they've already got someone in mind. It wouldn't surprise me if it was Fry, or at least Fry as part of a positional battle.

Seth Olsen has never played center, I can't imagine they'll try him there out of the blue. I'd expect him to effectively be Hamilton's replacement, but at RG with Kuper taking over at LG.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:15 AM   #24
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Olsen played mainly tackle at Iowa, but in our new scheme would be an excellent guard, dude is a force
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:43 AM   #25
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I doubt Olsen would be the starter at center. Since he's never played the position, not likely would be ready for the starting spot there unless make a miraculous transition to the position.

I would be surprised to see a rookie drafted to take that spot as well.

Hamilton was so bad and got demoted last year, so chances are slim he's coming back to play guard, much less center.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote