The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default The most unique hole in golf !!!

There are plenty of beautiful and challenging holes on some of the most amazing courses that host PGA tour events. For example, there is Amen Corner, where #12 and #13 could possibly be the most beautiful holes there are. And there is #17 at TPC Sawgrass, the island of death, which certainly could be the most frustrating hole in golf. But there is one hole and one hole alone that stands out as the most unique hole in golf. A hole that offers something that no other hole on any tour can provide.

That "something" would be 25,000 screaming lunatics at hole #16 at TPC Scottsdale (and that's with no Tiger Woods playing). A 360 degree ampitheater of stadium seats that make the golfers feel like they are playing golf inside a stadium. Indeed it's a hole that gives the golfers a feeling they will never get anywhere else. It's almost as if they were a gladiator out in the middle of the Roman Coliseum. A hole that takes 166 volunteers to manage (yes, for just 1 single hole on the course). In previous years it was almost 360 degree stadum seating but they always left a back section open for standing fans. Now, it's fully enclosed.

Lets' hear what some of the Pro's have to say about it.....

Villegas said, "There's only one place on Earth, one hole on Earth like that. The fans are crazy. I know there's a lot of alcohol being served there. . . . "

Tom Lehman said, "It's like playing a golf shot in the Rose Bowl".

Cink said, "I love it. It's one of the great spectacles in golf, especially Saturday and Sunday when they really get going. It makes golf feel like a true stadium sport. In a way, it adds a lot of pressure, because you don't want to be a goat there."

Yes, this is not your typical golf crowd and by all means this is something that probably wouldn't work each weak on the tour, but for one special week, it's welcomed by the players, the fans and the media. The players have grown to appreciate the spectical that is #16 at TPC Scottsdale.

And #18 doesn't do a bad job itself with attendance. The course sees well over half a million spectators over the 4 days, by far the largest of any PGA tour event. I've gone to this several times and trying to park is always a major pain in the ass but it's a major party and fun as hell. The food is awesome and of course, the drinks are even better !!! If you get a chance, watch it this weekend. If you've never seen #16 before, it's pretty awesome to watch.

Last edited by ZONA; 02-23-2010 at 12:16 AM..
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
Meck77

Great thread Zona. I like to golf. I've never been very serious about it at all but it's just fun to be out on the course. If I was teeing up at the 16th I'd certainly feel obligated to belt out a huge "FORE".

That scene is incredible!
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
Bronco Yoda

Wow, that's something else.

I'm going to finally sell my old clubs. They've been sitting in the garage far too long collecting dust. Not much fun without the regular group anymore.

My favorite tournements to play in were always the Runnin'Gunnin' Golf tournys each year that was part of the NFL Irrelevant Week held in SoCal every year. That was about the only thing I was qualified for...lol.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

That's what I call an 8-chipper.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

I wonder how many of those spectators get hit with an errant golf ball (I've been hit with one... straight off the tee... and let me tell you this: it hurt like hell).
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
I wonder how many of those spectators get hit with an errant golf ball (I've been hit with one... straight off the tee... and let me tell you this: it hurt like hell).
At a PGA event?
Dukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

DAAAAAAAAAAAYUMMMM

oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
DAAAAAAAAAAAYUMMMM

indeed
Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
Meck77

The dude should have just stayed single.

Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Sir_Robin
Veteran Armor Soiler

Bravely taking to his feet...

I assumed you were going to mention this one:

Sir_Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Robin View Post
I assumed you were going to mention this one:

I approve of any hole requiring a helicopter
Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Great thread Zona. I like to golf. I've never been very serious about it at all but it's just fun to be out on the course. If I was teeing up at the 16th I'd certainly feel obligated to belt out a huge "FORE".
That scene is incredible!
That would be the ultimate classic. I love to golf...great thread.
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I've played TPC Scottsdale. Amazing course (though I played like ****).
Old 02-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
I'll bet no one. Mid iron in hand and PGA tour players at worst will be hitting 10 yards off the green which is still in play. I think they hit 8-6 iron on that hole.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
The dude should have just stayed single.

I don't think it would of affected him getting partaking in some strange out there.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes View Post
At a PGA event?
Nope... it was at a local golf course; a tournament sponsored by the American Legion post. The guy whose errant drive hit me had just teed up for the "men's long drive"... and he was a big guy, so there was a bit of power behind the ball. I had a deep bruise on my shoulder for 3 weeks (and fortunately the bra strap took most of the impact).

Oh, did I mention, this happened the very first time my husband talked me into actually playing golf (as opposed to "riding on the cart and drinking beer, which I still prefer over playing). And then after being hit by the golf ball, a storm blew in, we got drenched, and lightning started (with us standing out there in the clearings with metal stuff in our hands, we decided to forgo the final two holes). Not exactly an ideal introduction to the game of golf.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #17
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Wow, impressive looking. Went to Carmel for my anniversary and had lunch at Pebble. Still hard to top that one for beauty...
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #18
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I wonder if Tiger will ever go back to the Phoenix Open (yes, I still call it that, since the sponsership changes every few years and you never know what to call it, lol).

I know he was heckled and had an object thrown at him but that was a long time ago and the security is light years ahead of where it was back then. I went 2 years ago and they have metal detectors, you can't even carry your cell phone with you, and certainly no camera's.

I think part of the reason he stayed away all this time was that he was a huge NFL fan and this tourny was always the same date as the Superbowl. Kinda amazing that it has grown so big factoring in that Superbowl Sunday was the final day of the tournament. I think this year it could even be much bigger then ever. Maybe the bad econmy might hold that in check, lol.

But he should come back, he's mising out on one of the best golf tourny's of the year, that's not a Major.

The player galleries can be mind blowing large. I didn't even try to follow Phil a few years ago, no way in hell I was going to battle that mob scene just to follow him around. And you might not have expected, but Daly always used to have massive crowds around him too. Sort of the mentality of the fans there. Grip it and rip it.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #19
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I wonder if Tiger will ever go back to the Phoenix Open (yes, I still call it that, since the sponsership changes every few years and you never know what to call it, lol).

The Waste Management Phoenix Open

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Open
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #20
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
I've played TPC Scottsdale. Amazing course (though I played like ****).
TPC scottsdale is just an average course around here though. It is nice and built to hold a bunch of people but there are probably 20 or more courses within 10 miles of it that are nicer. Desert courses are all kind of the same though target golf.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #21
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Its fun to watch, I prefer 17 at Sawgrass because the tournament means something. 16 is alright but with no real trouble on the hole the worst that can happen is hitting it couple feet off the green. These guys aren't gonna miss it because 25000 fans are watching. At Sawgrass they might hit it in the water twice and 18 is a tough tee shot.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote