The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default Professor PWNS Student

Saw this on ChiefsPlanet. Good stuff.

The exchange is below. This happened at the beginning of the semester.

"To give a little background, Scott Galloway is a professor at NYU Stern School of Business. He was also the founder of RedEnvelope.com. He teaches a Brand Management class at the school. Anyway, the student below sent him an e-mail to which Prof. Galloway responded. Galloway then proceeded to send it to his TA and instructed him to XXXX out the student's name and then forward it to the rest of the class. The e-mail now appears to be making the rounds."

Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:15:11 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Brand Strategy Feedback
Prof. Galloway,

I would like to discuss a matter with you that bothered me. Yesterday evening I entered your 6pm Brand Strategy class approximately 1 hour late. As I entered the room, you quickly dismissed me, saying that I would need to leave and come back to the next class. After speaking with several students who are taking your class, they explained that you have a policy stating that students who arrive more than 15 minutes late will not be admitted to class.

As of yesterday evening, I was interested in three different Monday night classes that all occurred simultaneously. In order to decide which class to select, my plan for the evening was to sample all three and see which one I like most. Since I had never taken your class, I was unaware of your class policy. I was disappointed that you dismissed me from class considering (1) there is no way I could have been aware of your policy and (2) considering that it was the first day of evening classes and I arrived 1 hour late (not a few minutes), it was more probable that my tardiness was due to my desire to sample different classes rather than sheer complacency.

I have already registered for another class but I just wanted to be open and provide my opinion on the matter.
Regards,
xxxx

xxxx
MBA 2010 Candidate
NYU Stern School of Business
xxxx.nyu.edu
xxx-xxx-xxxx

The Reply:
—— Forwarded Message ——-
To: "xxxx"
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:34:02 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: Brand Strategy Feedback
xxxx:

Thanks for the feedback. I, too, would like to offer some feedback.
Just so I've got this straight...you started in one class, left 15-20 minutes into it (stood up, walked out mid-lecture), went to another class (walked in 20 minutes late), left that class (again, presumably, in the middle of the lecture), and then came to my class. At that point (walking in an hour late) I asked you to come to the next class which "bothered" you.
Correct?

You state that, having not taken my class, it would be impossible to know our policy of not allowing people to walk in an hour late. Most risk analysis offers that in the face of substantial uncertainty, you opt for the more conservative path or hedge your bet (e.g., do not show up an hour late until you know the professor has an explicit policy for tolerating disrespectful behavior, check with the TA before class, etc.). I hope the lottery winner that is your recently crowned Monday evening Professor is teaching Judgement and Decision Making or Critical Thinking.

In addition, your logic effectively means you cannot be held accountable for any code of conduct before taking a class. For the record, we also have no stated policy against bursting into show tunes in the middle of class, urinating on desks or taking that revolutionary hair removal system for a spin. However, xxxx, there is a baseline level of decorum (i.e., manners) that we expect of grown men and women who the admissions department have deemed tomorrow's business leaders.

xxxx, let me be more serious for a moment. I do not know you, will not know you and have no real affinity or animosity for you. You are an anonymous student who is now regretting the send button on his laptop. It's with this context I hope you register pause...REAL pause xxxx and take to heart what I am about to tell you:
xxxx, get your **** together.

Getting a good job, working long hours, keeping your skills relevant, navigating the politics of an organization, finding a live/work balance...these are all really hard, xxxx. In contrast, respecting institutions, having manners, demonstrating a level of humility...these are all (relatively) easy. Get the easy stuff right xxxx. In and of themselves they will not make you successful. However, not possessing them will hold you back and you will not achieve your potential which, by virtue of you being admitted to Stern, you must have in spades. It's not too late xxxx...
Again, thanks for the feedback.
Professor Galloway

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=223796
Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

The kid is obviously an idiot but that professor definitely loves the smell of his own farts.

Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

Yeah...the kid looked dumb, but the professor is clearly a douche. Knowing that he forwarded this to the class, I would probably drop his class immediately just to make the point that the professor is an ass.
But lol at the kid trying to decide between 3 different night classes. He must be a joy to hang out with
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Fax Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeckbeard View Post
The kid is obviously an idiot but that professor definitely loves the smell of his own farts.

Who doesn't?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

"Those that can, do...Those that can't...teach."
(N/A if you are teaching Jr. High and below)

Am I supposed to be impressed b/c he started an online gift store?

Sounds like the self important type who also sits on his HOA board or mods a message board.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
extralife
Ring of Famer

people teaching graduate classes at a top flight university generally aren't doing so because they don't have the ability to do anything else.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
extralife
Ring of Famer

but I suppose you are an expert in these matters, having attended NYU
Old 02-23-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Dude...I'm a college drop out who sells building materials for a living. What's your point?

I don't give a **** what his resume is. The fact that he wrote and distributed that email tells me everything I need to know about his character. He's a first class douche with a Napoleon complex.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
extralife
Ring of Famer

what would you do if you were in an International Building Material Sellers Conference, giving a presentation, and some dude walked in a hour late and then sent you a whiny e-mail about how he felt bad that this was frowned upon. I'm sure the professor just had fun writing the e-mail, and I'm sure the kid either got over it, or he'll end up dropping out of NYU because he wont be able to hack it.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #10
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe

Formerly known as mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
Yeah...the kid looked dumb, but the professor is clearly a douche.
Most professors are somewhat douches, lol.
Swedish Extrovert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:01 AM   #11
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
"Those that can, do...Those that can't...teach."
(N/A if you are teaching Jr. High and below)

Am I supposed to be impressed b/c he started an online gift store?

Sounds like the self important type who also sits on his HOA board or mods a message board.
SO what exactly is wrong with being a high school teacher?
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:10 AM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yeah...the kid looked dumb, but the professor is clearly a douche. Knowing that he forwarded this to the class, I would probably drop his class immediately just to make the point that the professor is an ass.
But lol at the kid trying to decide between 3 different night classes. He must be a joy to hang out with
I'd say at that level of education they have the right to be.

It isn't milk and cookies, nap time teaching. Its graduate school at one of the higher level schools for its field you can find.

Maybe if the standards for general decorum and consideration where impressed upon the respective management groups currently running Wall Street we wouldn't have the massive financial cluster **** we have now.

A little risk management and long term critical thinking goes a long way. Anyone teaching an MBA course after what has happened the last couple years has full license to bust balls at will if you ask me.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:14 AM   #13
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
what would you do if you were in an International Building Material Sellers Conference, giving a presentation, and some dude walked in a hour late and then sent you a whiny e-mail about how he felt bad that this was frowned upon. I'm sure the professor just had fun writing the e-mail, and I'm sure the kid either got over it, or he'll end up dropping out of NYU because he wont be able to hack it.
The fact is, the professor was not at any sellers conference, he was teaching a lecture on the first day of class - that is it. A class students paid for - a university students chose to go to - a university students are investing a huge portion of money on.

The professor is obviously a douche, and he has the "right" to do what he did. However, in the students point of view, he didn't do anything wrong. All he did was sit (or attempted to) in some lectures and weighed out his options to his preferences.

Professors, teachers, people using the logic of the real world is pathetic. I don't think most people would go into several meetings disrespectfully, in the "real" world.

Being that this is a graduate student, it makes it worse on the professor.

I see it both ways though - from a professors point of view he has the right to do what he did and has a point of disrupting his lecture.

From the students point of view - he has the right to view his class options - considering it's Day 1 of school.

The professor started reaching though - talking bout risk analysis..etc. I think his goal was more to try and "own" the kid rather than teach him anything.

You will always run into people like this professor though - it's the people that you'll want to stomp on in the future or refer back to and shove your **** in their face when/if you become success in the future.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:22 AM   #14
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I'd say at that level of education they have the right to be.

It isn't milk and cookies, nap time teaching. Its graduate school at one of the higher level schools for its field you can find.

Maybe if the standards for general decorum and consideration where impressed upon the respective management groups currently running Wall Street we wouldn't have the massive financial cluster **** we have now.

A little risk management and long term critical thinking goes a long way. Anyone teaching an MBA course after what has happened the last couple years has full license to bust balls at will if you ask me.
What did the student do to indicate he wasn't taking his **** seriously? If he wasn't - he wouldn't be going through 3 different classes on the same day to see what he liked.

Lol busting balls isn't going to get rid of what happened on wall street, any one can sit there and be good, respectful, smart, etc and work his way to be smart on the outside while something is burning on the inside.

Honestly, I wouldn't see it as a big deal - he was more likely trying to own the kid than be serious. A little bit of army strictness I guess you can say. At the end of the day, from the kids perspective, he just take it for what it is and move on as that professor obviously isn't worth his time.

I mean come on - a professor writing out a longer email than another student that isn't even in his class? Of course he had to pass it out - or else his time was being wasted through everything he learned in being productive through his education.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:25 AM   #15
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Just another person hiding as a college instructor who couldn't hack it in the real world.

The professor was acting like the student came in late to the final.

Ran into plenty of them in my school daze.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:28 AM   #16
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

http://www.portfolio.com/executives/...loway-Profile/

more info about him

http://twitter.com/ProfGalloway

his twitter...

I guess after doing about 5-10 minutes of reading on him it seems as if he's known to be a jackass/dick

Last edited by The MVPlaya; 02-23-2010 at 04:31 AM..
Old 02-23-2010, 04:36 AM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
I professor shopped in college. It a wise move. It keeps one from ending up with an a-hole teacher. Don't forget that as a student you are a paying customer.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:38 AM   #18
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Dude...I'm a college drop out who sells building materials for a living. What's your point?

I don't give a **** what his resume is. The fact that he wrote and distributed that email tells me everything I need to know about his character. He's a first class douche with a Napoleon complex.
This.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:44 AM   #19
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I professor shopped in college. It a wise move. It keeps one from ending up with an a-hole teacher. Don't forget that as a student you are a paying customer.
Yes.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:53 AM   #20
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
What did the student do to indicate he wasn't taking his **** seriously? If he wasn't - he wouldn't be going through 3 different classes on the same day to see what he liked.
Because 20 minute snipets mid-lecture is a great way to see what class you want?

How about meeting with the professors before the beginning of the semester if he's so serious? Thats what I always did when I was trying to decide between classes.

Sounds like a dude checking classes for the best study buddy turned one night stand prospects. Nothing wrong with that, just don't act like a b**** when you get called on it.

Quote:
Lol busting balls isn't going to get rid of what happened on wall street, any one can sit there and be good, respectful, smart, etc and work his way to be smart on the outside while something is burning on the inside.
Hammering home critical thinking would though. Only the most self obsessed clown could possibly think that 1. 20 minutes of a class would be indicative of his experience over a full semester with the professor and 2. that a professor isn't going to be offended by someone walking in an hour late.

Quote:
Honestly, I wouldn't see it as a big deal - he was more likely trying to own the kid than be serious. A little bit of army strictness I guess you can say. At the end of the day, from the kids perspective, he just take it for what it is and move on as that professor obviously isn't worth his time.
I see it more as a professor tired of the unprofessional, self entitled bull**** that is growing within all segments of society, especially when he's supposed to be teaching at one of the elite MBA programs in the country.

Quote:
I mean come on - a professor writing out a longer email than another student that isn't even in his class? Of course he had to pass it out - or else his time was being wasted through everything he learned in being productive through his education.
If it gets just one of the people who received it to stop and think just once about their actions as it pertains to all the parties involved, and not just their own viewpoint it would have been well worth his time I'd say.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:56 AM   #21
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
This isn't undergrad. This is a graduate program. Most grad students are on grants, fellowships, or scholarship and are effectively paid staff of the university.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:20 AM   #22
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Because 20 minute snipets mid-lecture is a great way to see what class you want?

How about meeting with the professors before the beginning of the semester if he's so serious? Thats what I always did when I was trying to decide between classes.

Sounds like a dude checking classes for the best study buddy turned one night stand prospects. Nothing wrong with that, just don't act like a b**** when you get called on it.

Hammering home critical thinking would though. Only the most self obsessed clown could possibly think that 1. 20 minutes of a class would be indicative of his experience over a full semester with the professor and 2. that a professor isn't going to be offended by someone walking in an hour late.

I see it more as a professor tired of the unprofessional, self entitled bull**** that is growing within all segments of society, especially when he's supposed to be teaching at one of the elite MBA programs in the country.

If it gets just one of the people who received it to stop and think just once about their actions as it pertains to all the parties involved, and not just their own viewpoint it would have been well worth his time I'd say.
This

The word that jumped out at me in the professor's email was manners, something that is severely lacking in this country. The student thought he was owed something, he wasn't. The sooner he learns that lesson the better. Doesn't sound to me like he could have handled that professor anyway.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #23
ElwayMD
It Stinks!

Meet the New Boss...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sammy Winder

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman444 View Post
SO what exactly is wrong with being a high school teacher?
That quote is just a way to make those who DON'T teach feel better about themselves when summer comes along.
ElwayMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 AM   #24
ElwayMD
It Stinks!

Meet the New Boss...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sammy Winder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Just another person hiding as a college instructor who couldn't hack it in the real world.

The professor was acting like the student came in late to the final.

Ran into plenty of them in my school daze.
Apparently don't know much about Masters Degree programs. To effectively teach at the Masters level you need to have some sort of achievement in your field in the "real world" as you call it. Most professors at the Masters level in a practical discipline like Business are currently working in the "real world". I'm pretty sure if someone came to you and said "would you like to teach students about xyz in order to help them achieve the same level of success that you have? We'll give you summers off and a stress free (except for midterms and finals) work environment". Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
ElwayMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #25
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Lucky for me, the last time I saw a Professor really own a student, I had my camera phone handy. Here's the footage:

Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote