The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 05:17 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,893

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default There are few people who did more with less last season than Mike Nolan

There are few people who did more with less last season than Mike Nolan


Feb. 19, 2010
By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer



Mike Nolan, defensive coordinator, Miami


There are few people who did more with less last season than Mike Nolan. The Broncos not only ranked seventh in overall defense; they were third against the pass and tied for 12th in points allowed, and that's downright remarkable considering what Nolan had -- Elvis Dumervil, Brian Dawkins, D.J. Williams, Champ Bailey and not much more.

The Broncos didn't jump to a 6-0 start because of Kyle Orton or Brandon Marshall; they won because of Nolan's defenses, with the Broncos allowing an average of 9.3 points per game. Then the roof collapsed, with eight of their remaining 10 opponents scoring 20 or more each and the Broncos losing to all eight.

People in Denver tell me Nolan tired of coach Josh McDaniels and needed a change. Well, he has it, and say goodbye to Philip Rivers as your arch enemy and hello to Tom Brady. For the Dolphins to return to the top of the division they must get through Brady and New England, and lots of luck. When Brady has been healthy, he and the Patriots have won the division all but one season.

Nolan's Denver defense was aggressive, with Dumervil leading all pass rushers in sacks. That was good, but this is not: Joey Porter, the team's leading pass rusher the past two seasons is gone, and Jason Taylor is at or near the end of a storied career. Furthermore, the Dolphins were dead-flat ordinary last season, and that's kind. They ranked 22nd in overall defense, 25th in points allowed and surrendered a franchise-record 140 points in the fourth quarter.

But that is why Nolan is the right man for this job. He just went through a reconstruction project with a porous Denver defense that ranked 29th in 2008, and he made it work. Furthermore, he made it work by going to a 3-4, a defense that coach Tony Sparano favors. Make it work here, and you might make Brady and the Patriots sweat for a change.





http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...heir-new-teams
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,334
Default

I'm as happy with what Nolan did here last year as anyone, but why do so many act like he did it all on his own?

McDaniels brought in a very good caste of assistants for him, got the players for him, and was active in deciding the game plan. I don't think Nolan was out there coaching the LBs and DBs himself.

He'll be missed, but ultimately McDaniels made the changes that improved the D, including hiring Nolan. He saw something there last season, who's to say he doesn't with the current configuration heading into 2010?
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I'm as happy with what Nolan did here last year as anyone, but why do so many act like he did it all on his own?

McDaniels brought in a very good caste of assistants for him, got the players for him, and was active in deciding the game plan. I don't think Nolan was out there coaching the LBs and DBs himself.

He'll be missed, but ultimately McDaniels made the changes that improved the D, including hiring Nolan. He saw something there last season, who's to say he doesn't with the current configuration heading into 2010?
Why do you act like play calling means nothing? It was Nolans scheme and Nolans play calling. This defense is not going to be the same without him. It could have been great, fast, if we would have given him more talent.

McDaniels did good bringing Nolan in. Then he had the same problem we have seen many times now. People don't want to work with McDaniels. Oh well, at least he has his yes man in place now. We all saw how well that worked for greats like Shanahan.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Why do you act like play calling means nothing? It was Nolans scheme and Nolans play calling. This defense is not going to be the same without him. It could have been great, fast, if we would have given him more talent.

McDaniels did good bringing Nolan in. Then he had the same problem we have seen many times now. People don't want to work with McDaniels. Oh well, at least he has his yes man in place now. We all saw how well that worked for greats like Shanahan.
Here we go. It's fiction story hour with jhns, everybody!

OH NOOOOOOEZ! Nolan, who has left other jobs before, has left his job with Denver. WE could have been great, but now we can't be because nobody wants to work with Josh McDaniels! /pout

Did I cover everything for you?
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Here we go. It's fiction story hour with jhns, everybody!

OH NOOOOOOEZ! Nolan, who has left other jobs before, has left his job with Denver. WE could have been great, but now we can't be because nobody wants to work with Josh McDaniels! /pout

Did I cover everything for you?
Don't know, couldn't hear over your crying. Settle down and try again.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,583

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Why do you act like play calling means nothing? It was Nolans scheme and Nolans play calling. This defense is not going to be the same without him. It could have been great, fast, if we would have given him more talent.

McDaniels did good bringing Nolan in. Then he had the same problem we have seen many times now. People don't want to work with McDaniels. Oh well, at least he has his yes man in place now. We all saw how well that worked for greats like Shanahan.
Because, all of this is true, and stuff.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,583

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Don't know, couldn't hear over your crying. Settle down and try again.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Because, all of this is true, and stuff.
Right, after one year he leaves and he wants to work with McDaniels? That sounds well thought out.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
Broncomutt
Looking for
 
Broncomutt's Avatar
 
the Sunflower Samurai

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Waxhaw, NC
Posts: 1,386
Default

It certainly appeared that Nolan had the defense playing hard nose football to start the season. Would have been nice to see what he could do with a couple seasons. But it appears that things get done Josh's Way or else you aren't a team player.

I wonder why Nolan never commented on Josh's antics over the season? My guess is maturity, poise and tact. Boy, sure am glad we don't have to witness that kind of behavior from the coaching staff this year.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
and that's downright remarkable considering what Nolan had -- Elvis Dumervil, Brian Dawkins, D.J. Williams, Champ Bailey and not much more.
Please. I can name a dozen defenses last year that would've loved to have that "lack of talent" to work with.

My Redskins friend called it from day one and even stuck to his guns when the Broncos were 6-0 and the defense looked all-world. He told me even then that by the end of the season, I'd come to not like him very much because opponents have a way of figuring him out and he can't seem to adjust for whatever reason. He falls back into his "read and react" comfort zone and it becomes maddening.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #11
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Please. I can name a dozen defenses last year that would've loved to have that "lack of talent" to work with.
Yes but can you name one with less talent that did better? If so, care to try?
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Yes but can you name one with less talent that did better? If so, care to try?
Bengals
Panthers
Cowboys
Pats
Texans
49ers

All finished similarly in team defense stats (scoring and/or yardage given up).
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #13
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Bengals
Panthers
Cowboys
Pats
Texans
49ers

All finished similarly in team defense stats (scoring and/or yardage given up).


You try to hard to throw everyone and everything under the bus just to defend McDaniels. You are completely rediculous.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Bengals
Panthers
Cowboys
Pats
Texans
49ers

All finished similarly in team defense stats (scoring and/or yardage given up).
Cowboys, Pats, Texans, and 49ers all have better players on defense.

WTF is your point?
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post


You try to hard to throw everyone and everything under the bus just to defend McDaniels. You are completely rediculous.
Solid rebuttal as always.

You issued a challenge and I responded completely on point. Sadly, as usual, you're not up to the challenge of furthering the debate with any real takes.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #16
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

That is "ridiculous". Edit isn't working.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:07 AM   #17
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Solid rebuttal as always.

You issued a challenge and I responded completely on point. Sadly, as usual, you're not up to the challenge of furthering the debate with any real takes.
Maybe because we don't have half the defensive talent as any team you just named. We don't have a tenth of the defensive talent as teams like Dallas. That post was far to ridiculous to give a real response to. That post showed there is 0 chance you are going to be reasonable. I just gave up before getting into it.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #18
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McChamp View Post
Cowboys, Pats, Texans, and 49ers all have better players on defense.

WTF is your point?
You really can't follow the train of thought?

Of course they have SOME better players on defense. I'm not saying all 11 starters on our unit are better than theirs. What I'm saying is that it is at least debatable whether or not the individual talent on our starting unit is better. In other words, would a DC have taken more of our starters or more of the "other team" starters if they were building up a completely new unit.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #19
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
You really can't follow the train of thought?

Of course they have SOME better players on defense. I'm not saying all 11 starters on our unit are better than theirs. What I'm saying is that it is at least debatable whether or not the individual talent on our starting unit is better. In other words, would a DC have taken more of our starters or more of the "other team" starters if they were building up a completely new unit.
Nope. You missed it. It's really not that complex. As a whole, I would take more of their teams players, especially in your scenario since Champ and Dawkins are so old... thanks for helping my case.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Maybe because we don't have half the defensive talent as any team you just named. We don't have a tenth of the defensive talent as teams like Dallas. That post was far to ridiculous to give a real response to. That post showed there is 0 chance you are going to be reasonable. I just gave up before getting into it.
I'd like to see some real analysis here.

Line up the Pats starters against the Broncos starters from this past year. The Broncos EASILY take all 4 DB and safety spots and, depending on how you line up the LB spots, at least 2 of those. The Pats get the edge in all 3 DL spots and maybe 1 LB spot. That's 6 spots to 5 in favor of the Broncos.

I could do this for all the teams listed above IMO.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McChamp View Post
Nope. You missed it. It's really not that complex. As a whole, I would take more of their teams players, especially in your scenario since Champ and Dawkins are so old... thanks for helping my case.
I don't care that Champ and Dawkins are old. In 2009, they outplayed their opposite numbers on any of those teams listed above. The premise of the article above is the talent Nolan had access to LAST YEAR.....it says nothing of future potential.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #22
colonelbeef
Lets be friend
 
colonelbeef's Avatar
 
Elway is the new Jerry West

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,884

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Don't know, couldn't hear over your crying. Settle down and try again.
Seriously, ThatOneDenverMooseGuy goes around writing post after post in all caps and using lots of punctuation accusing other people of 'crying' and 'freaking out' while barely able to hold back his trembling fingers or tear-splashed keyboard

Fanboy is good at embarrassing himself tho
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #23
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 7,393
Default

Reserve players playing starter roles and minutes on the defensive line = disaster.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #24
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
Seriously, ThatOneDenverMooseGuy goes around writing post after post in all caps and using lots of punctuation accusing other people of 'crying' and 'freaking out' while barely able to hold back his trembling fingers or tear-splashed keyboard

Fanboy is good at embarrassing himself tho
/yawn.

Hey little fella. Am I really that far into your head? It'll be okay. Cry yourself to sleep again tonight, little one.

Just once, I'd like to see you back up something you claim. Just once. Come on PrivateBeef. Show me where I do what you're claiming in "post after post in all caps." Let's see it.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #25
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,880
Default

Quote:
I don't care that Champ and Dawkins are old. In 2009, they outplayed their opposite numbers on any of those teams listed above. The premise of the article above is the talent Nolan had access to LAST YEAR.....it says nothing of future potential.
I understand that, and if you can't read it's not my problem. You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
would a DC have taken more of our starters or more of the "other team" starters if they were building up a completely new unit.
And then I said:

Quote:
It's really not that complex. As a whole, I would take more of their teams players, especially in your scenario since Champ and Dawkins are so old... thanks for helping my case.
So let's recap. I would have taken their players over ours to start last season. Period. And, as indicated by the 'especially', i certainly would have taken them if I were starting a new DC unit, which is the facet of the argument that YOU brought to the table.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Denver Broncos