The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,598

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default NFL Network reviving Arena Football

The Nfl Rescues Arena Football

Arena football is coming back from the dead thanks to the NFL Network, of all things. The Arena Football League, which was forced to cancel its 2009 season after failing to come up with a TV network to carry its games, said Thursday that it has struck a deal with the NFL to have selected games of its 2010 season carried live in primetime on Friday nights beginning April 2. The NFL network will also carry playoff games between the top four teams in each of the AFL's national and American conferences in August with the championship ArenaBowl set to air over the weekend of August 20-23. Arena Football was originally televised by NBC from 2003 to 2006 but ratings never lived up to expectations, and the final ArenaBowl game aired by the network in 2006 drew one of the smallest audiences ever to watch a championship sports telecast. In December 2008, just after announcing it had canceled its 2009 season, the Arena Football League was hit with a lawsuit by NBC alleging that the league owed it $1,597,320 in advertising revenue from broadcasts during the 2006 season.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...otball_1131982
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,308

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

At least Elway won't lose any more money...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 20,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Bringing back the arena foosball league eh? Meh, programing must be pretty slim pickings over at the NFLN.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,666

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Prepping for 2011?
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #5
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 23,373

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Arena Football might be the only football on NFL network this coming season.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mandan
Posts: 4,981

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton
Default

Wouldn't see why the NFL wouldn't buy the league to further its name and put its brand on something like this.

Last edited by missingnumber7; 02-19-2010 at 07:32 AM..
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,034

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

maybe this is a step towards a developmental type league?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,986
Default

Great move for the NFL. Really great.

To McRabb's point, I think we will see it become a developmental league for the NFL. And to have it in the Spring...

Thank you... oh, thank you.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,666

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Great move for the NFL. Really great.

To McRabb's point, I think we will see it become a developmental league for the NFL. And to have it in the Spring...


Thank you... oh, thank you.
That would be fabulous!
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #10
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,034

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

I actually miss Arena ball, sure I know it's not NFL but it was SOMETHING
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #11
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mandan
Posts: 4,981

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Great move for the NFL. Really great.

To McRabb's point, I think we will see it become a developmental league for the NFL. And to have it in the Spring...

Thank you... oh, thank you.
FB in the spring is awesome. Start it in March to cure everyones off season blues, and run it through training camp. Find a way to tie it in to current teams and cities, or let cities who aren't quite big enough to have a team field one. Tie in some former players to use as a promo. The other thing is why the NFL doesn't try to affiliate itself with the UFL is beyond me.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
FB in the spring is awesome. Start it in March to cure everyones off season blues, and run it through training camp. Find a way to tie it in to current teams and cities, or let cities who aren't quite big enough to have a team field one. Tie in some former players to use as a promo. The other thing is why the NFL doesn't try to affiliate itself with the UFL is beyond me.
I hadn't thought of it, but this has got to be a death sentence for the UFL. With the NFL backing Arena for the spring season, players would probably rather go to the Arena league (though it is a MUCH different game) to try and make the NFL...
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 20,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Two things:

1) Wasn't the Arena league already loosely affilitated with the NFL? I could've sworn it was. Being on the NFLN however, will garner about the same ratings as when the major networks turned it's backs on it. The ongoing battle with the major cable companies almost insures it. Out of sight, out of mind. It'll be lucky to get any mention at all outside of the NFLN.

2) The UFL has moved out of NYC to Hartford. Whether or not you're fond of NYC (and I'm not for the record), no move signals a deathnell more clearly than that as no league can consider itself legit without a NYC franchise.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #14
Meck77
.
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
I actually miss Arena ball, sure I know it's not NFL but it was SOMETHING
It was great at least in Denver. Game tickets started at $5.00 bucks. We tailgated at the gates of the stadium for free. Beer and food was cheap. Elway would mingle with fans. The product itself was pretty entertaining considering we won two Arena Bowl Championships. Oh you also had players who always played their asses off and kept their mouths shut.

Hogan you of all people could appreciate that.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #15
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
It was great at least in Denver. Game tickets started at $5.00 bucks. We tailgated at the gates of the stadium for free. Beer and food was cheap. Elway would mingle with fans. The product itself was pretty entertaining considering we won two Arena Bowl Championships. Oh you also had players who always played their asses off and kept their mouths shut.

Hogan you of all people could appreciate that.
Thought the Crush only won one championship...

Or are you including the Denver Dynamite?
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #16
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,034

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
It was great at least in Denver. Game tickets started at $5.00 bucks. We tailgated at the gates of the stadium for free. Beer and food was cheap. Elway would mingle with fans. The product itself was pretty entertaining considering we won two Arena Bowl Championships. Oh you also had players who always played their asses off and kept their mouths shut.

Hogan you of all people could appreciate that.
yes, exactly!

I was actually going to get some season tickets before they folded, it's cheap and fun entertainment
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47,090

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Two things:

1) Wasn't the Arena league already loosely affilitated with the NFL? I could've sworn it was. Being on the NFLN however, will garner about the same ratings as when the major networks turned it's backs on it. The ongoing battle with the major cable companies almost insures it. Out of sight, out of mind. It'll be lucky to get any mention at all outside of the NFLN.

2) The UFL has moved out of NYC to Hartford. Whether or not you're fond of NYC (and I'm not for the record), no move signals a deathnell more clearly than that as no league can consider itself legit without a NYC franchise.
....**** New York.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #18
Meck77
.
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,833
Default

My bad one championship. Not bad with such a short run though.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
2) The UFL has moved out of NYC to Hartford. Whether or not you're fond of NYC (and I'm not for the record), no move signals a deathnell more clearly than that as no league can consider itself legit without a NYC franchise.
Sad part is, they don't even have a team in Hartford anymore. I just looked at the list of teams for 2010 and there's nothing even remotely close to the northeast. Looks like Cleveland is the "closest" they've got. Terrible.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #20
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,034

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

http://www.arenafootball.com/

Um, am I missing something here?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #21
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 20,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
It was great at least in Denver. Game tickets started at $5.00 bucks. We tailgated at the gates of the stadium for free. Beer and food was cheap. Elway would mingle with fans. The product itself was pretty entertaining considering we won two Arena Bowl Championships. Oh you also had players who always played their asses off and kept their mouths shut.

Hogan you of all people could appreciate that.
Actually that last part isn't true at all. If you recall, they marketed the last few years under the premise of "where the players can have fun" and encouraged excessive celebrations.

Yes the prices were family friendly and Elway mingling with fans would be worth the price of admission alone, but the product just wasn't football to me.....it was just too frickin' weird and wayy too high scoring to be taken very seriously IMHO.

Quote:
....**** New York.
Garcia, I'm not a NYC fan either, but c'mon...try and tell me that isn't true.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #22
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 20,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Sad part is, they don't even have a team in Hartford anymore. I just looked at the list of teams for 2010 and there's nothing even remotely close to the northeast. Looks like Cleveland is the "closest" they've got. Terrible.
Are you looking at the AFL or the UFL?

I was talking about the UFL, but you're right...there is no NY, NY/NJ AFL team either. Very odd.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #23
Pick Six
Armchair Poster
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
http://www.arenafootball.com/

Um, am I missing something here?
Interesting. There is a certain "team of interest" missing. I hope this isn't the final list...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #24
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Are you looking at the AFL or the UFL?

I was talking about the UFL, but you're right...there is no NY, NY/NJ AFL team either. Very odd.
Gotcha....never even heard of the UFL before.

I just looked it up and found this.....are they referencing "our" Tatum Bell here?

http://www.ufl-football.com/teams/hartford
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #25
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,034

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Interesting. There is a certain "team of interest" missing. I hope this isn't the final list...
exactly...and what I like even less is there is a schedule already posted without said team of interest

and the Iowa Barnstormers are back
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:40 PM.


Denver Broncos