The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Default Random Draft Thoughts/Rumors/Tidbits/Rants

Post your random draft thoughts/rumors/tidbits/rants here.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Georgia Tech wide receiver Demaryius Thomas, a projected first-round draft pick, broke his left foot on Wednesday while training for the NFL combine in Scottsdale, Ariz., according to SI.com.

Thomas has been ruled out of participating in any of the workouts during the combine, according to SI.com.

Thomas agent, Todd France, told SI.com that doctors expect a 4-to-6 week recovery period.

"There are no long-term effects from the injury and Demaryius will be 100 percent by the time OTA's begin," France told SI.com, adding that surgery is a possibility. "If surgery hastens the healing process, that is something we will consider."

At 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds, Thomas is an unusually big receiver with good speed. He led the Yellow Jackets with 46 receptions and led the Atlantic Coast Conference with 1,154 yards receiving and about 25 yards per catch this season.

He caught passes in 29 straight games before he was shut out in Georgia Tech's 24-14 Orange Bowl loss to Iowa in January.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Third rounder?
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Third rounder?
He grades much higher than that, but it all depends on who will pull the trigger on an Injured WR. I had him around the middle of Round 2 until the injury. This was a Player who would have benefitted from a solid 40 time and seeing him run routes other than what he did @ GT.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Third rounder?
I projected Demaryius Thomas to be drafted in the top/middle of the second round....probably anywhere in the 33 to 50 range....the injury might push him down a little further.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
broncowill
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I was thinking if we traded Brandon Marshall for a 1st we dont have to get Bryant. We could use the pick on an offensive lineman and use our other pick on a defensive lineman and get another wide reciever later.

I have my eye on Danario Alexander from Missouri. Hes 6-foot-5 215 pretty fast for a reciever that size and good hands

in 2009 he had 113 receptions for 1781 yards and 14 tds

he could take over Brandon Marshalls role as a possesion reciever and he is also great at screens and short yardage catches so he would be perfect for our system
broncowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncowill View Post
I was thinking if we traded Brandon Marshall for a 1st we dont have to get Bryant. We could use the pick on an offensive lineman and use our other pick on a defensive lineman and get another wide reciever later.

I have my eye on Danario Alexander from Missouri. Hes 6-foot-5 215 pretty fast for a reciever that size and good hands

he could take over Brandon Marshalls role as a possesion reciever and he is also great at screens and short yardage catches so he would be perfect for our system
Danario Alexander just underwent some more surgery on his left knee earlier this week. Alexander has had 3 previous knee surgeries.

He was projected as a 4th round pick before the last knee surgery....look for him to drop even further.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Georgia Tech wide receiver Demaryius Thomas, a projected first-round draft pick, broke his left foot on Wednesday while training for the NFL combine in Scottsdale, Ariz., according to SI.com.

Thomas has been ruled out of participating in any of the workouts during the combine, according to SI.com.

Thomas agent, Todd France, told SI.com that doctors expect a 4-to-6 week recovery period.

"There are no long-term effects from the injury and Demaryius will be 100 percent by the time OTA's begin," France told SI.com, adding that surgery is a possibility. "If surgery hastens the healing process, that is something we will consider."

At 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds, Thomas is an unusually big receiver with good speed. He led the Yellow Jackets with 46 receptions and led the Atlantic Coast Conference with 1,154 yards receiving and about 25 yards per catch this season.

He caught passes in 29 straight games before he was shut out in Georgia Tech's 24-14 Orange Bowl loss to Iowa in January.

That sucks! hopefully we can still him in the 3rd-4th round if he lasts that long!
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Just finished grading the DB's in this draft. As much as I like the DT's and OLB/DE's, the CB's are just as deep. I have 7 CB's with First round grades, and 5 of those can be legit #1 CB's. Of the next 5 or so CB's, a bunch really have better FS potential than CB potential at this point, but really could develop over time into solid #2 CB's. That is easily the highest amount of starting grade CB's I have seen coming out since 2005. And then, there were many more #2 CB grades than the true ability top be #1 CB's.

This draft just keeps getting deeper on the defensive side of the ball. Now, I am going back to start deepre into the offensive players. Going to start with the WR's since I just watched a bunch of them going against the DB's and they are still fresh in my mind.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Just finished grading the DB's in this draft. As much as I like the DT's and OLB/DE's, the CB's are just as deep. I have 7 CB's with First round grades, and 5 of those can be legit #1 CB's. Of the next 5 or so CB's, a bunch really have better FS potential than CB potential at this point, but really could develop over time into solid #2 CB's. That is easily the highest amount of starting grade CB's I have seen coming out since 2005. And then, there were many more #2 CB grades than the true ability top be #1 CB's.

This draft just keeps getting deeper on the defensive side of the ball. Now, I am going back to start deepre into the offensive players. Going to start with the WR's since I just watched a bunch of them going against the DB's and they are still fresh in my mind.
Where did Kyle Wilson, Perrish Cox and Dominique Franks grade? Those are 3 guys I am looking at in the top of the 2nd if they are available.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Where did Kyle Wilson, Perrish Cox and Dominique Franks grade? Those are 3 guys I am looking at in the top of the 2nd if they are available.
I liked them all. All have first round grades, but the talent level in this draft at premium positions could push them down into the top of the second.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:

I'm interested to see your list as they are graded
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I'm interested to see your list as they are graded
After the OM draft, I will make it available for a small fee

Just kidding, but I will reserve the right to keep it for awhile before I let it go.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 PM   #14
Obushma
Ring of Famer

Bring your lunch pail

David Reed 6'1 188lb WR Utah

I don't see the Broncos going after him as he doesn't fit a "need" position in my opinion. This kid is one hell of a ball player, was the main offensive weapon for the Utah Utes.

Top 5 Fastest Risers
Todd McShay
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...odd&id=4927274

"Utah WR David Reed: Though this 6-1, 188-pound former juco transfer has flown under the radar to this point, expect him to be drafted ahead of many household names from the college ranks, such as Danario Alexander (Missouri), Jacoby Ford (Clemson) and Freddie Barnes (Bowling Green). Suddenness, ball skills and fearlessness are three of the most important attributes for receivers transitioning to the NFL, and Reed excels in all three areas. He should develop into a very good No. 3 receiver at the next level and is worth the investment late in Round 3."
Possible homes: St. Louis, Cleveland, Miami, Denver, Carolina, Cincinnati, New England, Baltimore, Dallas, New York Jets

If B. Marsh is moved, I hope we'd pick up a late 3rd-4th somewhere to grab him. Forget about using that first on Dez, build solid on both lines go for the gems w/ later picks.
Obushma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:33 AM   #15
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
I liked them all. All have first round grades, but the talent level in this draft at premium positions could push them down into the top of the second.
i am really liking the look of this draft. i just wish we had more picks. there are at least 50 guys right now, who have been graded as potential 1st rounders. i love the fact that we can be acquiring 1st round talent in the 2nd and possibly 3rd rounds.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #16
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i am really liking the look of this draft. i just wish we had more picks. there are at least 50 guys right now, who have been graded as potential 1st rounders. i love the fact that we can be acquiring 1st round talent in the 2nd and possibly 3rd rounds.
You mean 1st round talent like Jarvis Moss?
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #17
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Now, I am going back to start deepre into the offensive players. Going to start with the WR's since I just watched a bunch of them going against the DB's and they are still fresh in my mind.
I'm really interested to hear your take on the WRs. There are a lot of guys I'm intrigued with.

The WRs, combined with the rest of the talent in this draft make getting rid of Marshall (and Scheffler) an intriguing prospect.

If you have tape on Freddie Barnes, I'd love to get your thoughts. He's on my sleeper radar for late on day 2. I also think that Shipley will attract McD with his route running ability. I'd love him in the 3rd, but not sure if he gets there. He could drop a little if he gets outshone at the combine.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #18
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
You mean 1st round talent like Jarvis Moss?
Let's get one thing straight. Talent is very different from performance. This is the deepest talent pool of players available to be drafted in a long time. However, what the past drafts have taught us is that talent does not equal execution in the NFL, unlike College.

The step from the College premier player to NFL star is much bigger mentally, than physically. A lot of the large school talented kids never get polished on their football technique and mental game in college. Then, they get drafted by teams who fail to translate an incomplete football player into a system they are unsure he can execute with his actual skillset. To top it off, they change schemes and even entire philosphies so often that players never get comfortable in a system or are no longer suited to play in the new one.

Moss was definitely one of the most talented pure pass rushers coming out of college in awhile. The problem with him was and still is his lack of polish, preparation, and development. He was drafted to be a 4-3 RDE in an attacking one gap front. Since then, he has changed systems twice and not been able to execute the new responsibilites of those systems.

Moss still has the raw talent of a high first round player, much like Jason Pierre-Paul in this draft. The problem is in using that talent to execute the play in front of him. Almost every player who busts in the NFL can not handle the Transition of not being physically more gifted than the player across from them. They never develop the right mental attitude to become an NFL Starter, let Alone the potential Pro-Bowler they could become with the right mental approach and development.

So, while I agree that Moss is a good joke to some here, he is also one of the best examples of how NOT to draft DEN has had in awhile. They gave up pick value to go obtain him, knowing he was still a very risky player who would probably only shine in the right system and with the right players around him.

Why waste resources to draft that kind of player? Desperate need and the feeling that they were only "one or 2 players away" from a championship. Those kinds of short term Decisions can get HOF coaches fired if they are wrong too often. It sure did in DEN.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #19
Paladin
Ring of Famer

You can apply that analysis and reasoning to any player, including Smith......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #20
27atwater
THANK U!

sphincter says "what"?

According to Charlie Casserrly, this is the best draft since 1983. The main reason is because all of the juniors are afraid of a rookie salary cap and came out early so ya have almost 2 classes worth of prospects.

IMHO, This is the draft to load up on 2nd round picks.
27atwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #21
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Dan LeFevour isn't going to participate at combine. WFT?

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Combine...ng-drills.html
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #22
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Dan LeFevour isn't going to participate at combine. WFT?

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Combine...ng-drills.html
Unless he has an undisclosed injury, this is just plain stupid. It would give him a chance to a get step up on Clausen and Bradford. It's not like he is one of those top-rated prospects with nothing to prove.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #23
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncowill View Post

I agree with your tenet, but I'm not a fan of Alexander at all. I don't think he translates to the NFL very well coming from that offense.

I like the mid-round talent at WR.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #24
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Old 02-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #25
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Trindon Holliday aims for 4.23-second 40-yard dash

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-40-yard-dash/

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 25, 2010 6:29 PM ET

Not many people knew who Chris Johnson was until the running back from East Carolina turned heads at the 2008 scouting combine by running a 4.24-second 40-yard dash. After that 40, the Tennessee Titans chose Johnson with the 24th pick in the draft, and Johnson is now the league's reigning offensive player of the year.

LSU running back Trindon Holliday wants to do Johnson one better.

"My goal is to run a 4.23," Holliday said today in Indianapolis.

It's not out of the question. The 5-foot-5 Holliday is a track star who has run the 100-meter dash in 10 seconds flat, and he says he's been timed at 4.21 seconds in the 40.

"It's not really a competition," Holliday said of trying to beat Johnson's time. "I just want to come out and run as fast as I can. But I am going to try to.''

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: