The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Woody's Mailbag: Broncos need to move Marshall, antics out of town

Woody's Mailbag: Broncos need to move Marshall, antics out of town

Manuel from Colorado Springs asks Woody about Brandon Marshall

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

Updated: 02/18/2010 03:46:07 AM MST

Get wide receiver Brandon Marshall out of Denver. Wasn't he the guy who said he hated Denver after one of his many encounters with law enforcement? Nice touch now, saying he is "going with the flow," finally listening to some good advice and "has learned." Having been responsible for large groups of employees, I know that if you put the team second, regardless of performance, it derails the necessary order within that unit. Marshall walks and quacks like a lame duck. How could he think good performance supersedes everything else? Move him out.
Manuel Garcia, Colorado Springs

Manuel: Don't send in the clowns. Send away the clown. It's time. I'm tired of Marshall's act. The Broncos are tired of his act. Broncos fans are tired of his actions.

Marshall has calmed down his off-field actions with women, but not his off-field antics with the Broncos. I don't think there's any way Marshall and coach Josh McDaniels can go forward together.

You haven't heard Josh say he wants Brandon back. There's a reason.

I can pull out my old columns: "Time to trade Marshall," "Grow up, Brandon," "Brandon has matured," "Brandon shows immaturity," "Brandon promises no more mistakes," "Brandon makes more mistakes," "Brandon has great year," "Brandon doesn't want to play last game," "Brandon hates Denver," "Brandon loves Denver," "Brandon wants out," "Brandon wants to sit up straight."

If he were to come back next season, we'd be saying, "Oh, Brandon is having a great year." Then we'd be saying Brandon is causing trouble, has gotten into trouble, says his new contract isn't sufficient, doesn't like Denver. He's not worth the trouble or the money.

Woody, you gave your readers the job of mulling the Broncos' QB situation. I don't have to mull, I already know. Last year I said the Broncos should package some of the high draft picks they got for squandering Jay Cutler's talent and take Mark Sanchez. Trade one Pro Bowl talent for another. That did not happen. I like Tom Brandstater. Why not give him a chance? I don't believe in wasting picks (like Josh McDaniels did with cornerback Alphonso Smith). If you draft a QB, play him. If he can't play, package something else this year and get a real QB of the future. Kyle Orton isn't it. He has that Jake Plummer knack for boneheaded plays.
Dam Nace, St. Louis

Dam: Dam straight. Let's try this again: Orton is an average quarterback. Average quarterbacks rarely, almost never, get to the Super Bowl.

Check out the final four in the playoffs this year. Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Brett Favre took snaps for three of the four teams. All are potential Hall of Famers.

Sure, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, but he didn't even stick with the Ravens the next year. Brad Johnson also won a ring, with Tampa Bay. But those teams relied on great defenses.

So the Broncos will have to replace Orton in a couple of years. We know it ain't Phil Simms. We actually know it's not Brandstater. Unfortunately, he didn't impress the coaching staff while running the scout team's offense last year. I think the kid's got a chance, but not here. He probably will stick as a third QB again next season.

Team owner Pat Bowlen told The Post's Mike Klis that the Broncos will draft a quarterback in April. But, again, Josh isn't talking.

I suspect the Broncos will trade their first pick or use it on wide receiver Dez Bryant or a defensive lineman and then try, if they can, to get a QB in the second round from the crowd left.

I've discussed those possibilities in recent mailbags. The Broncos may have a chance at Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen, because a lot of teams think he's a risky pick.

Colt McCoy has started working out again. Sam Bradford, I think, will go early.

It has to be a quarterback who will fit in Josh's system, although the only system I've figured out is throw short and hope the receiver can break away. If I hear "bubble screen" one more time, I'm going to bubble scream.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14421762
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2010, 06:07 AM   #2
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Bummer about Brandstater. I thought he may have had a chance. Oh well, probably a QB in Rd. 2.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Why does woody know its not Tom B.

Also, Mark Sanchez might be a good QB one day, but he was ****ing horrible last year.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Phil Simms?
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post

Also, Mark Sanchez might be a good QB one day, but he was ****ing horrible last year.
I didn't see anything in Mark Sanchez that impressed me at all either.
I admire the Jets for throwing the kid in there and made it work thru thick and thin.
I think that was a valuable playing experience Sanchez will benefit from.
He should be a lot better next season and his potential show some more...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

We need to bide our time then move for Jake "Hurt" Locker.

Let's see you know it alls flame that move.

You will.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
He doesn't. Just more piss poor reporting.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
So the Broncos will have to replace Orton in a couple of years. We know it ain't Phil Simms. We actually know it's not Brandstater. Unfortunately, he didn't impress the coaching staff while running the scout team's offense last year. I think the kid's got a chance, but not here. He probably will stick as a third QB again next
lol what?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
We need to bide our time then move for Jake "Hurt" Locker.

Let's see you know it alls flame that move.

You will.
He's got the physical talent to run an offense that relies a lot on improvising, but I question his mental ability to run an offense that requires quick and decisive reads.

The guy can take over a game with his improvisation, but it doesn't seem like that is a quality at the top of Josh's list when it comes to important skills for a QB. We'll see how much better he gets in that area by next year.

Last edited by misturanderson; 02-18-2010 at 11:27 AM..
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by misturanderson View Post
He's got the physical talent to run an offense that relies a lot on improvising, but I question his mental ability to run an offense that requires quick and decisive reads.

The guy can take over a game with his improvisation, but it doesn't seem like that is a quality at the top of Josh's list when it comes to important skills for a QB. We'll see how much better he gets in that area by next year.
He had the good sense to stay an extra year which puts him one up on face punchingly good Claussen.

At this point I don't know what Josh is looking for in a QB. Noodle arm? Heavy feet? Cpt. Checkdown? We got all of that in Orton. Maybe Locker isn't his guy.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Locker or Mallet next year. I think those two are superior to Bradford and Clauson. You really have to question whether Bradford and/or Clauson are worth top-10 money (IMO). Both guys have huge question marks and not enough "wow" to them.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Locker or Mallet next year. I think those two are superior to Bradford and Clauson. You really have to question whether Bradford and/or Clauson are worth top-10 money (IMO). Both guys have huge question marks and not enough "wow" to them.
Bradford's injuries would give me pause. And to me he looks skinny and frail when he's out on the field, that may be off base, but whenever I see film of his I'm like "damn that dude looks skinny."
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
And, as I think I've mentioned before, Clausen has a face even his mother would punch. I don't know why, but he just generates such a seething hatred in me that I want to mule kick that sour puss of his into oblivion.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat01 View Post
Bradford's injuries would give me pause. And to me he looks skinny and frail when he's out on the field, that may be off base, but whenever I see film of his I'm like "damn that dude looks skinny."
Yeah, he's probably pretty beefcake relative to the rest of us but I feel ya. He looks half sickly out there and that chicken wing of his looks like it'll be broken at any time.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Ehhh.....

Lots of a-hole players have gone on to win championships before. As a HC, McDaniels has to be able to deal with players whether he likes them personally or not.

Ray Lewis is a total dickbag, and he is also a Super Bowl MVP. It takes all kinds. You don't throw away supertalented (and underpaid) players like Brandon Marshall just because he is a jerk.

This isn't the boyscouts. It's the NF mother****in L.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat01 View Post
Lol, I read a quote from a scout that said he has to run around in the shower to get wet.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #17
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
Ehhh.....

Lots of a-hole players have gone on to win championships before. As a HC, McDaniels has to be able to deal with players whether he likes them personally or not.

Ray Lewis is a total dickbag, and he is also a Super Bowl MVP. It takes all kinds. You don't throw away supertalented (and underpaid) players like Brandon Marshall just because he is a jerk.

This isn't the boyscouts. It's the NF mother****in L.
actually I don't think Marshall is a jerk at all, he is someone that makes poor off the field decisions that will impact the team if he gets caught again

that is the issue to me, not if he is a nice guy or not
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #18
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Isn't this a 180 from what he said in Week 14 or 15?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #19
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
...which is why his opinion is irrelevant...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #20
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

If BM is traded Denver needs a 1 and 2 wr Royal should be slot guy.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #21
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
He had the good sense to stay an extra year which puts him one up on face punchingly good Claussen.

At this point I don't know what Josh is looking for in a QB. Noodle arm? Heavy feet? Cpt. Checkdown? We got all of that in Orton. Maybe Locker isn't his guy.
Yes, but Locker also doesn't put up good stats and has a terrible completion percentage in a weak conference. There is no denying that he's a physical specimen, but it is a stretch to say that he is a better QB than Bradford or Clausen. He could end up being one, but he certainly hasn't shown anything to prove that he will be.

When will you people get it through your heads that scrambling ability and a strong arm are not the most important attributes of an NFL QB? The mental game is far more important as long as they have adequate physical ability and adequate physical ability is pretty underwhelming for a QB compared to almost any other position in the game. You absolutely do not have to be an elite athlete to play QB, but you do have to make good decisions with the ball.

I also try not to base my opinion of someone as a football player on the way their face looks, but that's just me.

Last edited by misturanderson; 02-18-2010 at 05:17 PM..
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #22
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Its what Woody does. He's just looking for something to grind his axe on.

Marshall and the org. having issues? "YOU GOT TO KEEP THESE TALENTED YOUNG GUYS!"

Marshall and McDaniels both playing nice, acting like they want to try keeping him? "HE'S A BAD APPLE, GET RID OF HIM!"
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #23
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I just pictured Woody bubble screaming.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #24
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by misturanderson View Post
Yes, but Locker also doesn't put up good stats and has a terrible completion percentage in a weak conference. There is no denying that he's a physical specimen, but it is a stretch to say that he is a better QB than Bradford or Clausen. He could end up being one, but he certainly hasn't shown anything to prove that he will be.

When will you people get it through your heads that scrambling ability and a strong arm are not the most important attributes of an NFL QB? The mental game is far more important as long as they have adequate physical ability and adequate physical ability is pretty underwhelming for a QB compared to almost any other position in the game. You absolutely do not have to be an elite athlete to play QB, but you do have to make good decisions with the ball.

I also try not to base my opinion of someone as a football player on the way their face looks, but that's just me.
I can teach the playbook, I can't teach strong arm and mobility.

I loathe Claussen, he should be a Raider and Bradford looks like he'll snap at any given moment.

Also, I don't know where Bronco fans could ever have gotten the notion that a strong armed and mobile QB could make great things happen? Where ever would such a notion arise?
Old 02-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #25
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
I can teach the playbook, I can't teach strong arm and mobility.

I loathe Claussen, he should be a Raider and Bradford looks like he'll snap at any given moment.

Also, I don't know where Bronco fans could ever have gotten the notion that a strong armed and mobile QB could make great things happen? Where ever would such a notion arise?
Oh, I get it. You're talking about Elway.

Elway was also able to lead a pro-style offense. He wasn't "just" an improviser as Locker has been, and he put up better college stats.

So while strong-armed and mobile both matter to the equation, there's more to be taken into account.