The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default McDaniels on Orton heading into year two

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...V&year=&month=
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Notice how he said "Our Quarterbacks"? Hesitation in speaking specifically about Orton.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Wow, very interesting to me....

"he can do things to help his overall mobility, putting in work in the weight room..."

I've made this observation a few times this off-season. I really feel like Orton is a guy who could benefit from a rigid training program. Normally, QBs don't go through much of that, but he strikes me as a guy who's got a great mental grasp of the game, but is only marginally athletic. Agility CAN be improved, and I think it's very interesting that McDaniels actually referenced it directly. Not something you usually hear, but something I think is totally on-point.

Other than that, it sounds like he wants to be behind Kyle, but expects him to make big strides this season. I think that's fair. I think Kyle needs to make strides, but I also think the system around him has to work much more effectively. (Blocking, running, etc.)

Sound be interesting. I'm pulling for him. He's an easy guy to root for. That said, I do hope we start developing (or bring in) a legitimate option to compete in the future.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

"he can do things to help his overall mobility, putting in work in the weight room..."

I've made this observation a few times this off-season. I really feel like Orton is a guy who could benefit from a rigid training program. Normally, QBs don't go through much of that, but he strikes me as a guy who's got a great mental grasp of the game, but is only marginally athletic. Agility CAN be improved, and I think it's very interesting that McDaniels actually referenced it directly. Not something you usually hear, but something I think is totally on-point.

Other than that, it sounds like he wants to be behind Kyle, but expects him to make big strides this season. I think that's fair. I think Kyle needs to make strides, but I also think the system around him has to work much more effectively. (Blocking, running, etc.)

Sound be interesting. I'm pulling for him. He's an easy guy to root for. That said, I do hope we start developing (or bring in) a legitimate option to compete in the future.
Yeah, I made that observation as well.

Great to hear Orton will hit the treadmill and do other things to improve his mobility. It would do wonders, along with an improved O-line. It's actually great to hear some positive news about the Broncos.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:57 AM   #5
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:

My thoughts exactly. I'm really excited to see Orton's second year here.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:07 AM   #6
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

The ankle is troublesome. Just like in 08 Orton started off strong before the ankle injury. 10 TDs/4 INTs in 08 vs 11 TDs/4 INTs in 09. After the injury in 08 it went to something like 8 TDs/8 INTs in 08 and 10TDs/8 INTs in 09.

As for working out to improve his mobility. Allegedly McD watched a lot of game film on Orton right? Isn't that what he claimed when making the trade with the Bears? He should have learned from watching the film that Orton needed to work on his mobility.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I don't care how much Orton works on agility drills, he will never be anything close to mobile. But neither are Manning or Brady. Both those guys couldn't beat your mom in a 40 yard dash. He can train on his legs and that's good but he needs to bulk up that chest and those arms. And most of all, he needs to work on accuracy drills, every frickin single day.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 AM   #8
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
The ankle is troublesome. Just like in 08 Orton started off strong before the ankle injury. 10 TDs/4 INTs in 08 vs 11 TDs/4 INTs in 09. After the injury in 08 it went to something like 8 TDs/8 INTs in 08 and 10TDs/8 INTs in 09.

As for working out to improve his mobility. Allegedly McD watched a lot of game film on Orton right? Isn't that what he claimed when making the trade with the Bears? He should have learned from watching the film that Orton needed to work on his mobility.
I would imagine that most of the offseason was spent trying to get Orton up to speed in the offense as soon as possible. Now that he's basically got a good grasp on it expect them to take more time refining things like his mobility, accuracy and mechanics.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:53 AM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

Orton right now reminds me of Brady during his first few seasons in the league. back in his 1st few seasons they were very similar. skinny, not great on deep throws, not very mobile or agile, but a good leader and teammate, and kind of guy you root for. Brady put in the work in the weight room and built up his core and now can throw a good deep ball has ok mobility in the pocket and has really improved his overall game.

i truly think if Orton puts in the work he can be seen as a franchise QB in this league. now because I say there are similarities I am not saying I believe Orton is going to come out next season and throw 50 TDs and win 3 super bowls in the next few years, but I think he is going to come out and earn a long term deal in Denver.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:57 AM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
I would imagine that most of the offseason was spent trying to get Orton up to speed in the offense as soon as possible. Now that he's basically got a good grasp on it expect them to take more time refining things like his mobility, accuracy and mechanics.
i agree completely. the way i interpret his 09 season. he got word he had been traded, he got on a plane, landed in Denver and McDaniels handed him a playbook and basically said learn this in the next couple weeks before camp starts.

he didn't really get the opportunity to improve his overall ability, just learning is all he did.

but i agree with a full offseason and with McDaniels probably talking to trainers about what they need to do with Orton, and with coaches working on his mechanics, and accuracy, I expect to see a completely different Kyle Orton next season, and different in an awesome way.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:25 AM   #11
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Mobility, accuracy, and nimbleness are probably what he needs to work on most.

His arm strength definitely isn't going to help him, so he needs to learn how do better at other things.

The one common trait of every top QB is his ability to maneuver in the pocket, or somehow extend plays when needed...and the deep ball. Orton's deep ball accuracy just isn't there.

Take a look at Philip Rivers... his arm strength is arguably on the same level as Orton's. He often floats a lot of passes but he is extremely accurate. He's not the most mobile guy either...

Orton needs to get more comfortable throwing the deep ball, or at least anything over 20+ yards.

We'll see though... there is a point where you're like is it worth waiting for this guy develop or you roll with a new guy that may need to learn the system, etc but he'll be in place as far as the physical aspects of the game.

It's tough to evaluate when QB's (yes even Peyton Manning) take so long to get comfortable with a system and your goal every season is to win. This is also why it's important to have someone on the bench that has that potential...

After this - you have another 21+ ( not including ST's) positions to evaluate and get better at.

This is why you need to have a good coaching staff all around and a good system as a whole.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:27 AM   #12
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I could care less what Orton does to improve his mobility,it won't make him a better QB. He has no pocket presence & is not a real threat to throw deep on anyone with any accuracy. Unfortunately, we're stuck with orton until he's replaced. Mobility will always be an issue as long as he is the QB.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 AM   #13
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Learning not to topple over in a stiff breeze would help.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

A good line would help in his mobility issue. Playing with an injury is something I hope he maintains.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
Bronco CB40
Seasoned Veteran

COKE FIEND

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Did I miss something? Is Orton under contract for 2010?
Bronco CB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #16
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:

I think first step in training for Orton is put him in a wind tunnel and let him practice to not fall down if a guy farts on him.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 02-18-2010 at 02:28 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #17
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco CB40 View Post
Did I miss something? Is Orton under contract for 2010?
Not yet, but he's a restricted free agent, so it is pretty unlikely that he won't be on our team as at least a backup next year.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

I think the weight room would be a good thing for Orton this offseason.

Build his core up and work on some endurance running.

I think Orton is a very accurate passer but his problem is more arm strength. If he builds up his core and legs and then works on some footwork he will get better.

That said I think the biggest thing that would help Orton here in year 2 would be allowing him to play the game.

I think last year mCd came in and preached no mistake football, which is all well and good until you need someone to step up and make a dynamic play like John used to to win or seal a game. When guys are afraid of making a mistake they tend to be predictable and choke.

I think Orton should have earned some freedom from mCd this year and mCd should loosen the iron curtain (get it a Stalin reference! ) on playcalling and let him have a couple shots a game.

Every QB has and will throw an ill advised INT during a critical time of a game. Just look at Manrino in the SB but a QB who is afraid to go out and throw it is not going to be better than a dude who chucks 20 redzone INTS if he is scared.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #19
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

You know who's already mobile? Jay Cutler.

(I'm kidding, so before you begin to flame, this is a joke, considering the other big thread going on right now.)
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #20
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

I'm sorry but is he or his he not a professional athlete? Is he a rookie with incredible talent that has never been pushed? Is he 6-3 175 or what?

He is what he is.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #21
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

McDaniels is most interested in how far Kyle can cum and how he can respond to being "pushed" for the benefit of the team.

McOrton
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #22
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Orton should be jumproping 60 minutes a day, like a boxer. Hopefully he doesn't get hurt doing it.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #23
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Orton right now reminds me of Brady during his first few seasons in the league. back in his 1st few seasons they were very similar. skinny, not great on deep throws, not very mobile or agile, but a good leader and teammate, and kind of guy you root for. Brady put in the work in the weight room and built up his core and now can throw a good deep ball has ok mobility in the pocket and has really improved his overall game.

i truly think if Orton puts in the work he can be seen as a franchise QB in this league. now because I say there are similarities I am not saying I believe Orton is going to come out next season and throw 50 TDs and win 3 super bowls in the next few years, but I think he is going to come out and earn a long term deal in Denver.
Chances of that are slim to none.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Chances of that are slim to none.
short of us drafting Clausen in the 1st. If Orton goes out and kicks ass as our QB, which i fully expect him to do, he will get a long term deal from us.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #25
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Yeah I'm sure Orton has never lifted weights before or done conditioning.. what a revelation, get him in the weight room and he'll be Tom Brady!!!
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote