The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default Kiper Mock 2.0 (FWIW)

Clausen's jump shifts the mock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com


Jimmy Clausen's experience under center is just one reason his stock is on the rise.

This is the last big NFL draft primer before the scene really shifts for good. That's because with the NFL combine next week, it's not just about those remarkable 40 times, it's about NFL personnel people finding out whether a guy really is who they believe he is. It's amazing how many times NFL personnel folks come away shocked that a player is 5-foot-11, not 6-1, or 230 pounds as opposed to the 248 he'd been listed at. Remember that my Big Board and position group rankings really help in understanding overall draft value.


Some things that stand out in this second mock draft are a jump for quarterback Jimmy Clausen, who I think will emerge strong from the workout and interview process; eight new names; multiple shifts in draft choices and the degree to which defense dominates. Twenty picks fall on that side of the ball.





St. Louis RamsRecord: 1-15
Ndamukong Suh, DT, NebraskaClearly, the Rams need to figure out who will take the snaps, and it'll be interesting to see whether they are overwhelmed by one of the QB options. But unless St. Louis trades down -- which is always difficult given the economics of the draft -- Suh is a safe pick. As I've said before, on film he's maybe the most dominating defensive tackle I've seen. He can help immediately. Oddly, for a player so highly thought of, Suh may be even more versatile than some think.

Detroit LionsRecord: 2-14
Gerald McCoy*, DT, Oklahoma
McCoy or Suh will be a welcome sight for the Lions with the second pick, and McCoy is an extraordinarily good consolation prize for any team unable to get Suh. He's simply not that far behind the former Cornhusker in the eyes of personnel people. McCoy is highly disruptive and an ideal player to use as an attacking defensive tackle in a 4-3 scheme.



Tampa Bay BuccaneersRecord: 3-13
Eric Berry*, S, Tennessee
People will continue to debate the merits of taking a safety so high, but Berry is an exception to any rule. He could be the next to join the class of true difference-makers at the safety position with the likes of Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed (the most frequent comparison) and Bob Sanders. Berry is outstanding in coverage and far more physical than his size would indicate.


Washington RedskinsRecord: 4-12
Jimmy Clausen*, QB, Notre Dame
Clausen will gain momentum after the combine. Once he's fully recovered from his toe surgery, he'll show teams he can make the throws, but there's more to it. His intelligence, competitiveness and toughness will impress personnel people, and his stock will rise. Clausen has under-center experience and was as close to mistake-free as he could be given his surroundings this past season.


Kansas City ChiefsRecord: 4-12
Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
Davis has the physical talent to be a Pro Bowl player early in his career, but he's still developing. Still, given a choice, the Chiefs can't pass on his upside, which is as high as any player's in the draft. A potential Walter Jones-like presence, if his development continues. The Chiefs also could move Branden Albert to the right side.

Seattle SeahawksRecord: 5-11
Sam Bradford*, QB, OklahomaThe bottom line on Bradford: This quarterback has 10-point accuracy and could very well have gone ahead of Matthew Stafford as the No. 1 pick last year. He will have a chance to prove to many scouts he's still the elite prospect many believe him to be. It's fair to doubt him, but his talent is unquestionable.

Cleveland BrownsRecord: 5-11
Joe Haden*, CB, FloridaHaden has the chance to be a top-five player at his position very quickly. He also fits an immediate need for Cleveland and is easily the top cornerback on the board, a player it can plug in from day one. A deft cover corner and great tackler, Haden is the total package.

Oakland RaidersRecord: 5-11
Jason Pierre-Paul*, DE, South FloridaLike Anthony Davis, Pierre-Paul has as much upside as any player in the draft. He's still raw by NFL standards but could contribute quickly just based on incredible athleticism. Once his pass-rushing skills are refined, he's a game-changer.

Buffalo BillsRecord: 6-10
Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma StateThe Bills should race to the podium as the Redskins did last year when Brian Orakpo landed in their laps. Significant need meets fantastic value here, with Okung being able to step in right away and help a weak offensive line.

Denver Broncos (from Chicago)Record: 7-9
Dez Bryant*, WR, Oklahoma StateObviously, a lot depends on whether Brandon Marshall is expected to be back come draft time, but if he isn't, this pick is a winner. You fill the void with the best deep threat in the draft. Bryant has great size and was unstoppable in the Big 12; he's a weapon in the passing game.


Jacksonville JaguarsRecord: 7-9
Derrick Morgan*, DE, Georgia TechIn the first mock, I had Pierre-Paul in this spot, but his rising stock moves him up the board. Morgan certainly hasn't fallen as a prospect and should be snatched up quickly by the pass-rush-deficient Jags. He's as productive and versatile a player as there is in the draft.

Miami DolphinsRecord:7-9
Rolando McClain*, LB, AlabamaA great get for Miami, a team that needs an inside linebacker and could get the best one in the draft after the top 10. I mentioned before that the Dolphins also could go after Bryant if he were to fall to them here, because they also must address their need at wide receiver. Problem is after Bryant, there's a value gap. If McClain and Bryant are gone here, a trade down the board could be considered.

San Francisco 49ersRecord: 8-8
C.J. Spiller, RB, ClemsonIn Spiller, the 49ers can add a player who complements Frank Gore in a way I don't think Glen Coffee can. Spiller is a home run threat and should spell Gore and diversify the offense. He also provides an upgrade in the return game.

Seattle Seahawks (from Denver)Record: 5-11
Everson Griffen*, DE, USCSeattle could use help on its O-line, but Griffen fills a significant need for pass-rush help here. The Seahawks will take a serious value hit if they select an offensive tackle here with Okung and Davis already off the board. Griffen also has a great size-speed combination, ideal on the edge of a 4-3.

New York GiantsRecord: 8-8
Sergio Kindle, OLB, TexasKindle is a need pick for the Giants, who must get stronger in their linebacking corps and could use a little more help with situational pass-rushing than some think. Kindle will need to overcome size issues -- another way of saying he simply could add some bulk to a long (6-4) frame -- but he's proven far sturdier against the run than many who also can rush the passer.

San Francisco 49ers (from Carolina)Record: 8-8
Trent Williams, OT, OklahomaConsidering how good Williams is, even at a position that normally doesn't draw high-to-mid first-round picks, getting him here would be of solid value. Williams could step in immediately at right tackle, and the 49ers would upgrade up front.

Tennessee TitansRecord: 8-8
Carlos Dunlap*, DE, FloridaAt a certain point, even questions surrounding a player's makeup can't overcome the talent, and getting a player like Dunlap at this stage is hard to question. With exceptional size and top-end athleticism for a defensive end, Dunlap should help disrupt opposing passers early in his career.

Pittsburgh SteelersRecord: 9-7
Mike Iupati, G, IdahoIupati was one of the breakout stars at the Senior Bowl. He fits what Pittsburgh likes as an athletic but powerful guard who should help return the Steelers' running game to the upper half of the league. Steve Hutchinson comparisons are legitimate. (Hutchinson went No. 17 overall in the 2001 draft.)

Atlanta FalconsRecord: 9-7
Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise StateWilson is another player who jumped at the Senior Bowl. He's fluid, excellent in coverage and an immediate help on special teams. Wilson had a quiet season, but great cornerbacks often do. He simply wasn't challenged enough. Stock is now back on the rise.

Houston TexansRecord: 9-7
Brian Price*, DT, UCLAOne of the guys who carries over with the same team from the first mock. Price is hidden away a bit in such a deep class of defensive linemen, but he's a disruptive force who uses great leverage. He should help a defense that's really close to being very good.

Cincinnati BengalsRecord: 10-6
Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia TechHere's the big riser of the past couple of weeks. Thomas will be red-hot after the workouts get going. He's a big target (6-3, 225 pounds) and a downfield threat. He averaged more than 25 yards per catch and remained productive in a run-based offense based. Carson Palmer needs weapons, and Thomas can be one.

New England PatriotsRecord: 10-6
Brandon Graham, OLB, MichiganIf production were all that mattered, Graham would be long gone by now. He led the FBS in tackles for loss and showed why at the Senior Bowl. Always in the backfield, he's an ideal outside linebacker for the Patriots' system, a terror against both the run and the pass.

Green Bay PackersRecord: 11-5
Bryan Bulaga*, OT, IowaThe more you listen to Green Bay's people, the more you get the sense that keeping Aaron Rodgers upright is a major priority, and it should be, because seeing an MVP-level talent knocked out because of a lack of protection is a sad thought. Bulaga can help immediately, and he has room to grow.

Philadelphia EaglesRecord: 11-5
Taylor Mays, S, USCThe Eagles are looking for that heir to Brian Dawkins, a physical safety who can scare opposing receivers and contribute to the rush defense. Mays has everything you could ask for as a physical package. He had a bad season, and there are legit concerns, but Mays still reeks of top-level NFL athleticism. He just needs to put it together.

Baltimore RavensRecord: 9-7
Arrelious Benn*, WR, IllinoisEvery indication out of Baltimore is that this organization is committed to finding pieces that can help Joe Flacco. If Benn shows scouts he has the necessary speed, everything else is there. He is physical, can run after the catch and can even help in the return game.

Arizona CardinalsRecord: 10-6
Dan Williams, DT, TennesseeI kept Williams here as a solid remedy to fill the Cardinals' second-biggest need. Just a tremendously strong player, starting with exceptional drive from his lower body, Williams is a disruptive force against the run and is a great help to linebackers.

Dallas CowboysRecord: 11-5
Bruce Campbell*, OT, MarylandCowboys fans with bad memories of getting thrashed up front in the playoffs should be thrilled to get a talent like Campbell right here. Campbell should see his stock rise at the combine, where his athleticism will be on display. If the Cowboys are serious about addressing their biggest need, this is the direction they need to go.

San Diego ChargersRecord: 13-3
Terrence Cody, DT, AlabamaAs I explained earlier this week, I expect to see Cody's stock rise because he may be the purest example in this draft of a guy who, limitations aside, specifically fits a scheme. Cody is the prototype block-occupying clogger in a 3-4 scheme. You can question his weight or his versatility, but he can make other players better. Remember, Jamal Williams' injury is a factor here.

New York JetsRecord: 9-7
Devin McCourty, CB, RutgersThe Jets could use some receiving help for Mark Sanchez here as well, but McCourty is a guy whose stock could skyrocket if he runs the way many think he will. The Jets can get exposed when passers throw away from Darrelle Revis, and McCourty could be the answer on the other side.

Minnesota VikingsRecord: 12-4
Maurkice Pouncey, G/C, FloridaThe Vikings could use help on the interior of their offensive line, and Pouncey has a first-round grade as a guard, which makes him an outstanding player. The Vikes did well when they looked to Gainesville in the first round last year.

Indianapolis ColtsRecord: 14-2
Jared Odrick, DT, Penn StateOne of the areas in which Indy could use help is along the interior of its defensive line, and Odrick can help the linebackers run free and be disruptive in his own right. Like Williams at No. 26, a great talent buried a little bit in a deep class of defensive linemen.

New Orleans SaintsRecord: 14-2
Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, MissouriWeatherspoon fits like a glove for the Saints as an outside linebacker in 4-3 system. He has ideal size for the position and is a tackling machine. Weatherspoon has the speed and experience to play inside or out, so adding versatility is also a good value proposition.

* -- Draft-eligible junior/redshirt sophomore
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

He really disagrees with McShay on Clausen. Same old song and dance with Bryant though.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,888

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

I knew it would be Bryant before I opened the thread.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer
 
Hook'em Horns

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,421

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

WOW I really like a lot of these players. I would love to get another 1st.

I hope we can trade down and pick up another 1st or high second.

How good would it be to get Mike Iupati, G, Idaho at 18 and say Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee.

or Brandon Graham, OLB, Michigan and Maurkice Pouncey, G/C, Florida

I think I just might Jiz in my pants

[HTML]http://www.youtube.com/v/4pXfHLUlZf4...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true">http://www.youtube.com/v/4pXfHLUlZf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">[/HTML]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

http://www.youtube.com/v/4pXfHLUlZf4...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true">http://www.youtube.com/v/4pXfHLUlZf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">

Last edited by LonghornBronco; 02-17-2010 at 11:24 AM..
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer
 
Hook'em Horns

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,421

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

OT; How the **** do you embed a youtube vid?
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,348

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post
OT; How the **** do you embed a youtube vid?
let me help you out, since i am pretty sure i knew where you were going with your post.

BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Zoobie
Love Machine
 
Zoobie's Avatar
 
The John Fox trot

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton
Default

Why is everyone so down on Dez? If Marshall is shipped out, drafting him at ten would be a steal of epic proportions.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
Why is everyone so down on Dez? If Marshall is shipped out, drafting him at ten would be a steal of epic proportions.
Taking a WR in the first round is generally thought to be a poor decision.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
Zoobie
Love Machine
 
Zoobie's Avatar
 
The John Fox trot

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesBronco View Post
Taking a WR in the first round is generally thought to be a poor decision.
Which makes no sense at all. You evaluate every player from every position individually, and grabbing Bryant at 10 would be a steal of Crabtree proportions. He is a dynamic receiver as well as a return man, if we are without Marshall I believe it's a no brainer. The only other players I believe that would match his value at 10 would be Haden or McClain.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,888

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
Why is everyone so down on Dez? If Marshall is shipped out, drafting him at ten would be a steal of epic proportions.
First build the Oline. Then get a QB. Then go looking for receivers. Where the Broncos are at right now, you draft a guy like Dez, he goes zooming down the field, and when he looks around for the ball, he sees the QB on his back. Wasted pick.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
Which makes no sense at all. You evaluate every player from every position individually, and grabbing Bryant at 10 would be a steal of Crabtree proportions. He is a dynamic receiver as well as a return man, if we are without Marshall I believe it's a no brainer. The only other players I believe that would match his value at 10 would be Haden or McClain.
WR's are the biggest crapshoot in the draft. I'm assuming McD knows this and will draft accordingly. Pro bowl WR's can be drafted in late rounds, or not at all (see Austin, Miles and Welker, Wes).
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
Zoobie
Love Machine
 
Zoobie's Avatar
 
The John Fox trot

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesBronco View Post
WR's are the biggest crapshoot in the draft. I'm assuming McD knows this and will draft accordingly. Pro bowl WR's can be drafted in late rounds, or not at all (see Austin, Miles and Welker, Wes).
So can guards, centers, and 3-4 ends. Again i'm failing to see the logic here.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
Zoobie
Love Machine
 
Zoobie's Avatar
 
The John Fox trot

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
First build the Oline. Then get a QB. Then go looking for receivers. Where the Broncos are at right now, you draft a guy like Dez, he goes zooming down the field, and when he looks around for the ball, he sees the QB on his back. Wasted pick.
That's extremely short sighted. So you'd pass on a top WR because he may not be able to shine in his first season? Meaning hypothetically you'd pass on Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald because you had no one to throw to them RIGHT NOW? The truth is there will be no offensive lineman worth taking at our pick. And by your same thinking what good would a QB do us without Marshall? The QB will look down the field and see Royal getting jammed at the line and who else? Gaffney and Stokley? Laughable.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
That's extremely short sighted. So you'd pass on a top WR because he may not be able to shine in his first season? Meaning hypothetically you'd pass on Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald because you had no one to throw to them RIGHT NOW? The truth is there will be no offensive lineman worth taking at our pick. And by your same thinking what good would a QB do us without Marshall? The QB will look down the field and see Royal getting jammed at the line and who else? Gaffney and Stokley? Laughable.
You are showing that you realy don't know much about football with your comments. QB's make good WR's, not the other way around.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,498
Default

I like the pick, but boy, he will be wasted in the Kyle Orton system.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #16
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
First build the Oline. Then get a QB. Then go looking for receivers. Where the Broncos are at right now, you draft a guy like Dez, he goes zooming down the field, and when he looks around for the ball, he sees the QB on his back. Wasted pick.
lol
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #17
Zoobie
Love Machine
 
Zoobie's Avatar
 
The John Fox trot

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesBronco View Post
You are showing that you realy don't know much about football with your comments. QB's make good WR's, not the other way around.
I would say the same to you. I'm not saying quarterbacks can't make WRs good, but it is EXTREMELY short sighted to not draft a WR simply because we may or may not have a QB who can get it to him THIS season. And seriously you're going to say that Schaub would do as well as he does without Andre Johnson, Culpepper without Moss(we've all ready seen how that went), Fitzgerald/Boldin didn't resurrect Warner's career? Please dude, get your head straight. If anyone thinks Bradford or Clausen is gonna come in and immediately make an impact without Marshall you're kidding yourself. Great Quarterbacks make receivers better, not all Quarterbacks.

Last edited by Zoobie; 02-17-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,348

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
Why is everyone so down on Dez? If Marshall is shipped out, drafting him at ten would be a steal of epic proportions.
i like Dez, but i don't think he is a major need at this point, even if Marshall is gone. look at Gaffney in the season finale, he had a damn good game and showed he can be a force if given the opportunity. Royal had a down year, learning a new system, injuries and a sophomore slump, i am sure he will bounce back. point i am making, this team looks like it will be geared more towards running the ball. with that in mind build the offensive line up and do just that. if we can run the ball with success, it will open up the passing game. i don't care if we have Cutler, Orton, or anyone else under center, if they have protection and the help of a strong running game, they are going to be successful and look damn good.

Dez helps out in one potential need position, but a guy like Iupati who upgrades the line, upgrades the entire offense, not just 1 position. because with an upgraded line, Orton gets time and protection to find an open man, potentially attempt deeped throws; look at the Washington game, pretty good protection and he took his shots down field when they were there. i know the belief is he can't throw deep, but he can, he just needs the time to find his man and get rid of the ball. he isn't going to force a deep pass, but if it is there he will take a shot at it. also, with an upgraded line we can run the ball and wear down opposing defenses, play clock control and keep opponents offenses off the field.

in terms of bang for your buck and getting all you can out of your number 10 pick you would be foolish to take Bryant over Iupati.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #19
Zoobie
Love Machine
 
Zoobie's Avatar
 
The John Fox trot

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i like Dez, but i don't think he is a major need at this point, even if Marshall is gone. look at Gaffney in the season finale, he had a damn good game and showed he can be a force if given the opportunity. Royal had a down year, learning a new system, injuries and a sophomore slump, i am sure he will bounce back. point i am making, this team looks like it will be geared more towards running the ball. with that in mind build the offensive line up and do just that. if we can run the ball with success, it will open up the passing game. i don't care if we have Cutler, Orton, or anyone else under center, if they have protection and the help of a strong running game, they are going to be successful and look damn good.

Dez helps out in one potential need position, but a guy like Iupati who upgrades the line, upgrades the entire offense, not just 1 position. because with an upgraded line, Orton gets time and protection to find an open man, potentially attempt deeped throws; look at the Washington game, pretty good protection and he took his shots down field when they were there. i know the belief is he can't throw deep, but he can, he just needs the time to find his man and get rid of the ball. he isn't going to force a deep pass, but if it is there he will take a shot at it. also, with an upgraded line we can run the ball and wear down opposing defenses, play clock control and keep opponents offenses off the field.

in terms of bang for your buck and getting all you can out of your number 10 pick you would be foolish to take Bryant over Iupati.
You mean the **** show season finale against KC correct? That's quite a resume Gaffney is building.

Again, you are talking about paying a GUARD top ten money. Interior lineman of all positions can be found in the later rounds, especially in such a deep draft. I'm not saying Dez is the only player we should consider taking, but if you want to get the full value at pick 10 you can't seriously consider a guard and leave players like McClain, Bryant or perhaps even Hayden on the board
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #20
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
I would say the same to you. I'm not saying quarterbacks can't make WRs good, but it is EXTREMELY short sighted to not draft a WR simply because we may or may not have a QB who can get it to him THIS season. And seriously you're going to say that Schaub would do as well as he does without Andre Johnson, Culpepper without Moss(we've all ready seen how that went), Fitzgerald/Boldin didn't resurrect Warner's career? Please dude, get your head straight. If anyone thinks Bradford or Clausen is gonna come in and immediately make an impact without Marshall you're kidding yourself. Great Quarterbacks make receivers better, not all Quarterbacks.
So your argument is that if Bradford or Clausen had Marshall they would immediately "make an impact"? Uh, okay buddy. I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that last sentence because it's not actually even a sentence, but yes great QBs do make WRs better.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #21
orinjkrush
...
 
orinjkrush's Avatar
 
Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: FrontRangeAbove8500ft
Posts: 5,179

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland
Default

just like shanny thought he could mix up late round rbs and ols
i'm guessing mcpoopy thinks he can mix up late round wrs and qbs

he does seem to like his hogs though (being that he is what 5'2"?)

hmmmm?
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,348

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
You mean the **** show season finale against KC correct? That's quite a resume Gaffney is building.

Again, you are talking about paying a GUARD top ten money. Interior lineman of all positions can be found in the later rounds, especially in such a deep draft. I'm not saying Dez is the only player we should consider taking, but if you want to get the full value at pick 10 you can't seriously consider a guard and leave players like McClain, Bryant or perhaps even Hayden on the board
14 catches for over 200 yards against anyone is major accomplishment. an average of 15 yards per catch. i don't care who that came against that is still a monster of a game that shows just how good he can be if opportunity it there

i hate that notion that just because a player plays a certain position that he isn't worthy of being picked early.

Iupati is the best guard in the draft class, and is one of the best to come out in recent memory.

also, by your argument, any player at any position can be drafted later in the draft and become successful, what difference does it make what position you draft and when

the league is full of guys who were later rounders, or undrafted guys who came in and made names for themselves.

the biggest thing about a 1st round pick is usually, what player is going to improve this team most? Sure Dez upgrades the receiving corps, but who really cares how supposedly talented our receivers are if our QB is on his back before he can deliver the ball. who cares how talented the receivers are if we can't run the ball? McDaniels offense is set in a style that uses the running game to set up the pass

LG in the draft at 10, is not a pretty pick, but it upgrades the team the most.

i'm not saying we should automatically target Iupati at 10 and disregard any who might fall out of the top 10, or ignore a DL in favor of Iupati. i am simply saying if we took him there i would be ecstatic to get an interior linemen of his calibur in the 1st.

the notion years ago was not to take OT in the 1st round or not early in the 1st round because you can find those guys later in the draft. that notion has changed because the league is now understanding how important good OL are. Now we have teams taking OT number 1 overall. you can't say anymore that certain positions don't deserve to be drafted early. if it is an upgrade and makes your team better regardless of position, take the guy who helps you most.

Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 02-17-2010 at 06:31 PM..
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #23
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,888

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
That's extremely short sighted. So you'd pass on a top WR because he may not be able to shine in his first season? Meaning hypothetically you'd pass on Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald because you had no one to throw to them RIGHT NOW? The truth is there will be no offensive lineman worth taking at our pick. And by your same thinking what good would a QB do us without Marshall? The QB will look down the field and see Royal getting jammed at the line and who else? Gaffney and Stokley? Laughable.
Laughable? Nice. This draft is the richest in years. Probably the best 1st round I've seen in years. Normally, I would go with BPA. But not in this draft. Take the player that will have the biggest impact on your team. IMO, a great DT like Dan Williams will make the entire LB corps better. A great LG will make the entire running game and passing game better. No offensive lineman worth taking at our spot? How about Bulaga? He would start at LG and probably fill the spot for 12 years. Besides, I also think that WR is the biggest boom and bust position year after year. We just look at the draft differently. No biggie. You go your way and I'll go mine.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #24
Zoobie
Love Machine
 
Zoobie's Avatar
 
The John Fox trot

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
14 catches for over 200 yards against anyone is major accomplishment. an average of 15 yards per catch. i don't care who that came against that is still a monster of a game that shows just how good he can be if opportunity it there

i hate that notion that just because a player plays a certain position that he isn't worthy of being picked early.

Iupati is the best guard in the draft class, and is one of the best to come out in recent memory.

also, by your argument, any player at any position can be drafted later in the draft and become successful, what difference does it make what position you draft and when

the league is full of guys who were later rounders, or undrafted guys who came in and made names for themselves.

the biggest thing about a 1st round pick is usually, what player is going to improve this team most? Sure Dez upgrades the receiving corps, but who really cares how supposedly talented our receivers are if our QB is on his back before he can deliver the ball. who cares how talented the receivers are if we can't run the ball? McDaniels offense is set in a style that uses the running game to set up the pass

LG in the draft at 10, is not a pretty pick, but it upgrades the team the most.

i'm not saying we should automatically target Iupati at 10 and disregard any who might fall out of the top 10, or ignore a DL in favor of Iupati. i am simply saying if we took him there i would be ecstatic to get an interior linemen of his calibur in the 1st.

the notion years ago was not to take OT in the 1st round or not early in the 1st round because you can find those guys later in the draft. that notion has changed because the league is now understanding how important good OL are. Now we have teams taking OT number 1 overall. you can't say anymore that certain positions don't deserve to be drafted early. if it is an upgrade and makes your team better regardless of position, take the guy who helps you most.
I'm not saying its out of the realm of possibility to take an offensive lineman at 10 completely, i'm saying taking one out of NEED is not the way to go. When you draft for need you potentially leave more talent on the board for other teams(potentially conference, or division teams) to have. My position is this, if Bryant, McClain, or say Haden are still on the board I think the value is better to take them than grabbing a guard at ten because we "need" one. I believe the talent is plenty deep(and easier to acquire in general) at interior line, that's it.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #25
Zoobie
Love Machine
 
Zoobie's Avatar
 
The John Fox trot

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesBronco View Post
So your argument is that if Bradford or Clausen had Marshall they would immediately "make an impact"? Uh, okay buddy. I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that last sentence because it's not actually even a sentence, but yes great QBs do make WRs better.
There are very few great quarterbacks in the league, so it's not some automatic occurance like you seem to think.

Bradford or Clausen would have a much better chance to make an immediate impact with Marshall, than without him, buddy.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Denver Broncos