The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default OT what's the best interior car cleaning product?

I've got my 06 honda civic, and it's got a ****ing tan interior. NOT a smart choice. Anywho, I'm gettin ready to go give her the ol' wax/wash/clean, and I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for an INTERIOR cleaner.

There's a lot of hard plastic, some vinyl and cloth...but mostly plastic.

I've always used Mothers products, and been pretty happy, but I'm lookin to switch it up a bit.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

soap and water for the entire interior (very dilute, just enough to clean the dirt off) , most things will be fine after that. for stuff like the dash, use armorall interior cleaner and keep teh windows open for atleast an hour after using it. same with door panels and center console.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

soap and water for the cloth you mean? Just, dish soap will do?

And as far as the armourall, I've tried their wipes and didn't really like em. Didn't seem to clean well and they dried out pretty quickly. Is there a better product in their line you'd recommend?
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

dish soap is fine, its all i use, just dont use a ton. use a cloth clean it and another cloth to wipe off the dirt, cars dont need to be shiny and greasy to be clean.

wipes suck, just buy the stuff in the bottle, spray on wipe in and off
Old 02-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
I've got my 06 honda civic, and it's got a ****ing tan interior. NOT a smart choice. Anywho, I'm gettin ready to go give her the ol' wax/wash/clean, and I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for an INTERIOR cleaner.

There's a lot of hard plastic, some vinyl and cloth...but mostly plastic.

I've always used Mothers products, and been pretty happy, but I'm lookin to switch it up a bit.
This is the BEST!

C-49
HEAVY DUTY INTERIOR CLEANER PRODUCT BULLETIN.pdf
PRO C-49 is a concentrated, biodegradable, multi purpose interior cleaner. Powerful 30:1 concentrate penetrates and breaks down grease and oil on automotive interiors such as vinyl, rubber and plastic. Available in gallon, 5 & 55 gallon sizes. DOT: CORROSIVE - This item is subject to a UPS/FedEx HazMat Surcharge. Five (5) gallon sizes of this item are subject to a UPS/FedEx Additional Handling Charge of $5.00 per container. VOC COMPLIANT. Meets CARB/OTC Regulations

http://www.prowax.com/cleaners.shtml

my father and family used to have a car detailing business. You cant go wrong with their products! You can call them to find a store near you that carries it if you dont want to order online.
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
soap and water for the entire interior (very dilute, just enough to clean the dirt off) , most things will be fine after that. for stuff like the dash, use armorall interior cleaner and keep teh windows open for atleast an hour after using it. same with door panels and center console.
I would NOT use normal dish soap on the interior. I've seen that **** wreck havoc on some interiors. Better to use a gentle all purpose cleaner. Another good option is Woolite and water. It's safe on all interiors, cheap, and works pretty well.

Failing that, most all purpose or interior cleaners will be OK. Just be careful of some of the "bargain brand" ones you get at Wal-Mart. Some of those are way too harsh for the interior. Mothers, Meguiars, Eagle One...etc, are all decent off the shelf products.

Personally, I use FlashWax products and I'm very happy with them. Unlikely you'll find them in your neck of the woods, but you can always order online.

http://flashwax.com/

I've never personally used that product that Bleed Orange and Blue recommended, but I know a few other detail freaks who have used it and like it.

Oh yeah, stay away from Armor All. That and Black Magic products should be avoided like the mother****ing plague.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
I would NOT use normal dish soap on the interior. I've seen that **** wreck havoc on some interiors. Better to use a gentle all purpose cleaner. Another good option is Woolite and water. It's safe on all interiors, cheap, and works pretty well.

Failing that, most all purpose or interior cleaners will be OK. Just be careful of some of the "bargain brand" ones you get at Wal-Mart. Some of those are way too harsh for the interior. Mothers, Meguiars, Eagle One...etc, are all decent off the shelf products.

Personally, I use FlashWax products and I'm very happy with them. Unlikely you'll find them in your neck of the woods, but you can always order online.

http://flashwax.com/

I've never personally used that product that Bleed Orange and Blue recommended, but I know a few other detail freaks who have used it and like it.

Oh yeah, stay away from Armor All. That and Black Magic products should be avoided like the mother****ing plague.
you dont liek armor all? ive never had a problem with it, and ive always used dish soap like dawn, but its very dilute, just enough to clean.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
you dont liek armor all?
God no. Their products are horrible, bad for your interior, too greasy of a finish and out-gas like a b****.

I honestly don't think I've ever used a Armor-All product I liked. There are too many quality products out there in the same price range to really justify it.

Quote:
ive never had a problem with it, and ive always used dish soap like dawn, but its very dilute, just enough to clean.
There are (probably most) interiors that are ok with it, but some of them get discolored and dried out over time. Better to err on the side of caution IMO.

Also, anytime you thoroughly clean the interior, you want to apply a protectant. You want to keep those plastics and vinyl protected from UV rays. 303 Aerospace Protectant is the best in pure UV protection. Duragloss #203 and #301 are good as well as the EagleOne interior product.

Any of those (and others) will work fine but you definitely want to put something on there after you clean it.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
God no. Their products are horrible, bad for your interior, too greasy of a finish and out-gas like a b****.

I honestly don't think I've ever used a Armor-All product I liked. There are too many quality products out there in the same price range to really justify it.

There are (probably most) interiors that are ok with it, but some of them get discolored and dried out over time. Better to err on the side of caution IMO.

Also, anytime you thoroughly clean the interior, you want to apply a protectant. You want to keep those plastics and vinyl protected from UV rays. 303 Aerospace Protectant is the best in pure UV protection. Duragloss #203 and #301 are good as well as the EagleOne interior product.

Any of those (and others) will work fine but you definitely want to put something on there after you clean it.

thats the reason when i used armor all, i would leave windows open for atleast an hour, keeps the shine and protectant but the feel goes away. and also thats why i recommended doing dash, door panels and center console, stuff that goes teh most sun exposure. doing the glove compartment or whatever else is not really necessary after its been cleaned.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

There is one product that makes your interior look like it was done in armor all, but with none of the damage. It was recommended to me by the manager of a detail shop at a car dealership. It's Meguiars rubber and vinal cleaner. You can only order it online, but it's well worth the money. It also leaves your car smelling very much like a new car. Here's a link. Best stuff on the market, guarunteed:
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...p?T1=MEG+RUB+1
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
thats the reason when i used armor all, i would leave windows open for atleast an hour, keeps the shine and protectant but the feel goes away. and also thats why i recommended doing dash, door panels and center console, stuff that goes teh most sun exposure. doing the glove compartment or whatever else is not really necessary after its been cleaned.
I've tried stuff like that and while it can lessen the problem, I've never seen it elevate it completely. A couple days later and that damn residue would be all over my windows. Considering that quality produicts can be had at a comparable or lesser price, it's just easier to not put up with the bull****.

Go try that Duragloss product. NAPA, Carquest, Bumper to Bumper and sometimes Advanced Auto have them in stock. Give that stuff a shot and I can almost guarantee that you will never go back to Armor-All.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

My V-dub has a tan interior. I bought it in Florida.

The interior is great for Florida. For Colorado.... not so much.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
There is one product that makes your interior look like it was done in armor all, but with none of the damage. It was recommended to me by the manager of a detail shop at a car dealership. It's Meguiars rubber and vinal cleaner. You can only order it online, but it's well worth the money. It also leaves your car smelling very much like a new car. Here's a link. Best stuff on the market, guarunteed:
That's a good product. Most of Meguiar's "Mirror Glaze" line is good stuff, but it's a little pricey. You should be able to find it in stores though. I've bought Mirror Glaze products at NAPA and Carquest.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I've tried stuff like that and while it can lessen the problem, I've never seen it elevate it completely. A couple days later and that damn residue would be all over my windows. Considering that quality produicts can be had at a comparable or lesser price, it's just easier to not put up with the bull****.

Go try that Duragloss product. NAPA, Carquest, Bumper to Bumper and sometimes Advanced Auto have them in stock. Give that stuff a shot and I can almost guarantee that you will never go back to Armor-All.
true. guess ive never had a problem with it personally, but then i dont like interior cleaning products much so i dont use a lot. unlike exterior, you dont need to shine an interior to make it look good, only clean it.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #15
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Try Vinylex by Lexol.
http://www.autogeek.net/lexsprayvin.html
You can get this product at almost all big hardware stores or some autoparts, and most if not all GM dealerships

In Denver you can get it at Detailers Paradise. Ask for Nick.
He can give you some recommendations and know-how tips.
Stay away from Armor-All. There are way better products out there.
I only use german made products by 1Z Einszett.
1Z Einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner and then follow up with 1Z Cockpit Premium

Nick @ Detailers Paradize phone number: 303-722-5107. He owns his own line of product called Prima.
He's a nice guy and very knowledgeable. They're on Broadway off I-25

I do detailing for private car collectors. I've had six cars at the Barrett & Jackson last month.
Anyway. Before you use any harsh chemicals, try using a damp/warm towel.
This is what I do. Get a microfiber towel, or a cotton towel, run it thru hot water, as hot as your hands can handle. Wring it, and then use on your plastic or vinyl areas.
The hot water helps soften hard vinyl making it a little bit more supple and cleaner. Then you can dress it with a specific product for vinyl and plastic

If you want me to recommend a good detailer for you, I have a couple good guys that can help you out and are closer to you.
LMK...

PS: Two reasons why you want to use white towels on your interior finish.
1- White towels won't bleed or transfer dye on your finish
2- Using white towels lets you know how much stuff you're getting off your interior finish and if the product you're using may be too strong that could be discoloring your finish...

Last edited by strafen; 02-13-2010 at 12:34 PM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #16
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
true. guess ive never had a problem with it personally, but then i dont like interior cleaning products much so i dont use a lot. unlike exterior, you dont need to shine an interior to make it look good, only clean it.
I agree. That's why I like Duragloss and the Flashwax products. It gives a nice natural shine, not the "I just smeared my dash with Crisco" look that Black Magic gives. Flashwax is nice too because it's concentrated. If the shine is too much you can cut it down some with water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Try Vinylex by Lexol.
http://www.autogeek.net/lexsprayvin.html
You can get this product at almost all big hardware stores or some autoparts, and most if not all GM dealerships

In Denver you can get it at Detailers Paradise. Ask for Nick.
He can give you some recommendations and know-how tips.
Stay away from Armor-All. There are way better products out there.
I only use german made products by 1Z Einszett.
1Z Einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner and then follow up with 1Z Cockpit Premium

Nick @ Detailers Paradize phone number: 303-722-5107. He owns his own line of product called Prima.
He's a nice guy and very knowledgeable. They're on Broadway off I-25

I do detailing for private car collectors. I've had six cars at the Barrett & Jackson last month.
Anyway. Before you use any harsh chemicals, try using a damp/warm towel.
This is what I do. Get a microfiber towel, or a cotton towel, run it thru hot water, as hot as your hands can handle. Wring it, and then use on your plastic or vinyl areas.
The hot water helps soften hard vinyl making it a little bit more supple and cleaner. Then you can dress it with a specific product for vinyl and plastic

If you want me to recommend a good detailer for you, I have a couple good guys that can help you out and are closer to you.
LMK...

PS: Two reasons why you want to use white towels on your interior finish.
1- White towels won't bleed or transfer dye on your finish
2- Using white towels lets you know how much stuff you're getting off your interior finish and if the product you're using may be too strong that could be discoloring your finish...
Good post. Lexol is a quality product. Not my favorite to use, but pretty close to it.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #17
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
I agree. That's why I like Duragloss and the Flashwax products. It gives a nice natural shine, not the "I just smeared my dash with Crisco" look that Black Magic gives. Flashwax is nice too because it's concentrated. If the shine is too much you can cut it down some with water.

Good post. Lexol is a quality product. Not my favorite to use, but pretty close to it.
I use some good products. I get all my stuff from the internet and I'm in tuned with what all the professional detailers in the world are using.
I've read you mentioning Duragloss. I like that line as fars their sealants and leather stuff go. One of the best OTC products you can get. In colorado only CarQuest carries the Duragloss line...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I would recommend this also.

If you have leather use a Leather based cleaner then make sure to comeover it with a conditioner. but the Mewuiars stuff is very good.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #19
C130Herkload
Trash Hauler Supreme

Kickin' a$$ to save your's

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Nalen

The best interior car cleaning product? That ones easy.....My ex wife.
C130Herkload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #20
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Looks like TSI has 2 weeks of free time to shine up his interior.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #21
crazyhorse
All Motor!!

You can only hope to contain me

White vinegar and water 5 to 1. 1 part vinegar. It's a great cutting agent and leaves no residue for dirt to stick back to.

Then if you like you can apply a protector of some sort but it wont be needed. Many protectors are oil based so they attract dirt. Dirt gets into the cracks and crevices and is difficult to get out. I have a make-up brush I stole from my wife for detailing cracks and air vents and stuff like that.

You can also use the same solution to clean the upholstery and carpet. I recommend an extractor but you dont have to have one. Again, it is residue free so dirt doesn't attract back to the cleaning surface.

Over the counter cleaners are a rip off. 10 cents worth of vinigar will clean better than any of them and the cleaning lats longer. Take it from a pro carpet cleaner. You will not find a better way to do it.

The one draw back is this. Vinegar has a strong odor. So you dont want to mix it too strong. More is not better. If you cant get it clean with this mix, then let it dry and come back and clean a second time.

Hope this helps.

Note: If you have leather seats, steering wheel cover or shift knob, use a quality leather cleaner and follow the instructions.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:29 AM   #22
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

Check out these guys...

http://store.carcareonline.com/carpe...sterycare.aspx

These guys can help with their recommendations.

I like One Grand, Zemol and P21S depending on the application. Lexol makes really good leather care products.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote