The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
RocBronc
Pro Bowler

Default Buying a Computer

Through a retraining allowance I'm getting from my last job I have about $2200 dollars to spend on a new computer. For that amount of money you can get a pretty good computer and I have been looking around on the internet and see lots of places I can buy as well as customize a computer.

I'd appreciate any input anyone has on where to buy one as well as specifics around what components I should be looking at.

As far as what my needs/wants are:
I'm not a gamer or anything but I do have a good amount of photos/music and play around with video a little bit (mostly for family memory stuff). I'm looking at a desktop because I don't really see the need for a laptop. I'm looking for a PC not a Mac. My wife and I are on the internet quite a bit as well.

Any help/input would be appreciated...
RocBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I'm not sure what others are going to say, but a popular thing these days are the all-in-one PC's with the touchscreen capabilities. They are slim, sleek and save on the desk space. They are also very reliable and have some of the best technology available.

Here is one of my favorites.

It is a little pricey, they start at around 1,300 bucks. You can get a 2.66 GHZ processor, 1 terabyte hard drive, 6 GB of ram and a 24" display with a touchscreen. This is more than enough power to do what you're looking to do and will be a mainstay in your family for a long time. That's the more expensive version, but either way -- this machine is a gem.

Here it is on Sony's website as well -- with customizable options.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Dell XPS.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Shut up Mock.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Seriously, given your needs $2,200 will get you about 10x more computer than you'll ever need. Can you spend less and cash out the difference or is it a use it all or lose it type scenario?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
RocBronc
Pro Bowler

Use it or lose it...
Old 02-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocBronc View Post
Use it or lose it...
Go all out then on that Sony I just showed you. Seriously. Best computer on the ****ing planet.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Go all out then on that Sony I just showed you. Seriously. Best computer on the ****ing planet.
Motion seconded. When it comes to computers, I'm a Sony guy....and that's one beautiful machine they have there.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Shut up Mock.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Sony is overpriced and overrated.

http://www.dell.com/awards?ST=best%2...085,3331209441

Since 2002 and the four design awards won that year, Dell has been bringing innovative products to life by combining the technical genius of our product engineers with the creative artistry of our worldwide design teams. And what strides we’ve made over the last three years - in 2006 Dell earned 5 more design awards, 8 more in 2007, and a record-breaking 48 in 2008.

The products below represent the best awards highlights of the many global design competitions won this year, including the Latitude E-Family ultraportable laptops, the Studio Hybrid desktop, the XPS One all-in-one PC and the Crystal display.

Last edited by watermock; 02-12-2010 at 02:41 PM..
Old 02-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

If you want a new computer every 5 years or so never buy a Mac because the damn things never break.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

He said he wants a PC.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

even though you want a PC i still have to suggest mac. the new windows is so cluttered and ridiculous, a simple, more powerful operating system that doesnt get viruses is so much better its ridiculous. macs are not some impossible OS to learn either even though they kinda get that rep, you woudl be on and using it within minutes without issue.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
even though you want a PC i still have to suggest mac. the new windows is so cluttered and ridiculous, a simple, more powerful operating system that doesnt get viruses is so much better its ridiculous. macs are not some impossible OS to learn either even though they kinda get that rep, you woudl be on and using it within minutes without issue.
The trouble with a Mac is it is elegant and logical, something ex PC users are unaccustomed to.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #15
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
The trouble with a Mac is it is elegant and logical, something ex PC users are unaccustomed to.
have you used the new windows? its ridiculous. they try so hard to make it fancy and "advanced" that its absolutely cluttered with garbage.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:20 AM   #16
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Sounds like the Broncos.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:25 AM   #17
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Old 02-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #18
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

jesus mock are you that obsessed with hating on how bad the broncos suck that you must do it in a computer thread?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #19
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

with amount money you are getting you should be able to get a kick-ass computer.

My suggestion go with fastest processors you can get, that way it will ensure CPU "lives" longer. Second load up on memory and storage. Also go with decent graphic card but not the top of the line, you can always upgrade later. Go with the second tier sound card. Finally a get DVD read/writer. I would stay away from Blue Ray right now.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #20
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocBronc View Post
Through a retraining allowance I'm getting from my last job I have about $2200 dollars to spend on a new computer. For that amount of money you can get a pretty good computer and I have been looking around on the internet and see lots of places I can buy as well as customize a computer.
Hope you can use some of the money for accesories and software, because I'm not sure you can actually spend that much on a desktop computer.

I agree Dell is your best choice Their top-of-the-line small business desktop starts at just $550, though you can more than double that with customizing choices at that link. Try not to go hog-wild with the customizing, it's easy to do. Even if you hit $1500, there's plenty of money left for a good 4-in-1 printer-scanner-fax, some software and a few other things.

Be sure to get some solid advice, several guys here like know quite a lot, they helped me a few months ago: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=86903
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #21
RocBronc
Pro Bowler

Thanks everyone for your help...

I checked into Dell and the Sony and for the same price as as Sony linked above (L Series I could get a Dell that is the same except...

Sony has a 24" Monitor, Dell is a 21.5"

Sony is all in one, Dell is a desktop

Dell has 9 gigs of Ram the Sony only has 6 gigs

Dell has i7-920 (8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz) Sony Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8400S processor (2.66GHz1)

Dell has ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 Video card and the Sony has NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M GPU with Total Available Graphics Memory of 3807MB (max.)

Which one would you guys recommend?
Old 02-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #22
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Dell ... if for no other reason, to buy American.

Besides, near as I can figure, money is not an issue ... and if you've looked at that Dell link, customizing the thing to meet and exceed Sony in those categories is half the fun. Did you look at all the choices in there? Sounds like fun.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #23
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Try Maxforce pc or ava direct they are cheaper then Dell
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:15 AM   #24
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

You could build a computer for about 400 bucks that would meet your tech requirements x10. Then you would have 1800 bucks for hookers and blow
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #25
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I work in the Computer dept. at Best Buy. Here's a few tips:

1) If you don't have really specific needs, you may want to avoid building one from a company because they can nail you on customization costs.

2) At a minimum go with a Core 2 Duo processor but if you have a chance to nab one of the new i3 or i5's that would be awesome.

3) Unless your doing advanced gaming, 3D Animation or video editing you don't really need a ton of power or RAM. Windows 7 runs really efficently and quickly on about 3GB of RAM so I'd go with 4GB which should serve you fine. 6GB is awesome but they tend to really up the costs of those computers. You can always add RAM later if you find you need more but most people don't, especially with Windows 7.

4) I wouldn't go crazy over hard drive space either. Unless you've got an ungodly amount of video/music, 320GB-500GB is more than enough for most people - and external hard drives are pretty cheap so you can always add more later.

5) I don't have a big brand preference as I see equal amounts of problems with all of them at my store with the exception of ASUS (not Acer) which I never see have any problems. Regardless, keep in mind many of the Sony Vaios have Blu Ray players which up there cost so if you're not going to use it you're wasting your money.

6) LED screens also make the computer more expensive but if you're going to travel a lot they do make the computer lighter.

7) Dedicated graphics are awesome but not necessary if you're not gaming/video editing/etc. If you do want a graphics card, I like NVIDIA but have no beef with ATI (same with processors, I like Intel but have no issues with AMD). Go for at least 512MB of dedicated memory if not a full GB.

8) Wherever you buy, I'd suggest picking up an extended service plan because many of the POS motherboards they're putting in computer these days have been frying. I see more computers come in for service to Geek Squad in a day than I see sold.

PM me if you want to go into specifics.

Last edited by montrose; 02-22-2010 at 11:10 AM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote