The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Default Elsid snowed in Mock

OK, there is a white out going on in DC, and I am getting cabin fever, so I decide to do a mock. I have included Free Agents, Resigning and trades. I attempted to make it as “real” as possible. All draft slots are based upon the average ranking from NFLDRAFTSCOUNT.COM. That way I wanted to try to ensure that Suh wouldn’t show up in the 5th round for Denver.

Let’s go. –

Resigning

Dumervil– long term deal.
Kuper - One year tender.
Orton – One year tender
Holliday – one year deal

Trades
Marshall to Baltimore for 2nd ,a future 4th and David Hale (RT/G/LT). Give us bigger presence (315 pounds) on the line. Hale has experience in power and zone blocking.

Scheffer to Seattle for 5th and 7th . Bates and rest of the former Broncos staff need a TE that knows the system and can manage the middle of the field.

Major Free Agents

Nick Kaczur (T) from NE to replace Gorin.
Angelo Crowell (LB) from Tampa. Has experience in 3 / 4 defense and will rotate with Ayers in OLB position. Also can play inside
Anthony Henry, (CB) from Detroit Lions. Do you really want Law back?
Kevin Faulk (RB) from NE - This is guy that makes the system work

Draft

1. Dan Williams (NT/DE) Tenn. It’s a no brainer at this point. Haden will most likely be gone and rest of the options don’t seem to fit

2A. Rob Gronkowski (TE) Arizona. People are going to b****, but Gronkowski is difference maker. He is one of those weapons that give McDaniels’ offense options and additional matchup problems. He has experience playing in spread, but has the size to (260) to be solid blocker in Ace formations. He will help improve the passing game.

2B. Demaryius Thomas (WR). Another none line pick. Thomas gives the team a physical presence with good speed to help solve the loss of Marshall. He better route runner then folks think, plus he knows how to block down field which is going to help spring some long runs

3. Matt Tennant (Center) from Boston College. Tennant is smart strong nasty player that will be long term solution at center. Also would consider JD Walton from Baylor, but I haven’t seen enough of him to see if fits in the pros.

4. Arthur Jones (DE/DT) from Syracuse. His injury hurts his draft status but he’s a difference maker that can hold the line or push the pocket in passing down. A steal at this point of the draft.

5. Vince Oghobaase (DE/DT) from Duke. At one time Oghobaase was talked about as 1st or 2nd rounder. He needs to work on technique but the talent is there.

6. John Skelton – (QB) Fordman. Development project that most likely end up on the Practice Squad, but show enough physical talent that with the right QB coach could he turn into solid NFL player.

7. Brian Simmons (OG) Oklahoma. Development project at guard, he played in the spread so he need to learn how to work in pro formation but has the size (6-5 318) that offense is looking for

7. Brandon Banks (KR) from Kansas State. Small dynamic returner to get Royal out of that role.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I like the mock. I would rather get picks for marshall as apposed to players but I like what you did there. I believe there is a team that has two high second round picks and if we could get that and a 3rd I would like it more.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

I really like the Kaczur signing (little bit of Canadian bias there), I feel like he could be plugged in in a couple spots along the line. Can he play left guard I wonder? I'm not a big fan of Tennant, he reminds me of Greg Eslinger. I like the center from Notre Dame more, Olsen I think his name is. I had a hard time watching them in the Senior Bowl, so many interior linemen with gold helmets. Oghobaase in the 5th would be friggin' sweet.

Good call on dealing Scheffler to Seattle, makes a lot of sense, I hadn't thought of that. I feel like adding Angelo Crowell would be redundant, isn't his skillset similar to Mario Haggan?

Do you really think McD would take a another tight end so soon? It seemed like he was reluctant to use them.

Asking some questions to help with the cabin fever
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
I really like the Kaczur signing (little bit of Canadian bias there), I feel like he could be plugged in in a couple spots along the line. Can he play left guard I wonder? I'm not a big fan of Tennant, he reminds me of Greg Eslinger. I like the center from Notre Dame more, Olsen I think his name is. I had a hard time watching them in the Senior Bowl, so many interior linemen with gold helmets. Oghobaase in the 5th would be friggin' sweet.

Good call on dealing Scheffler to Seattle, makes a lot of sense, I hadn't thought of that. I feel like adding Angelo Crowell would be redundant, isn't his skillset similar to Mario Haggan?

Do you really think McD would take a another tight end so soon? It seemed like he was reluctant to use them.

Asking some questions to help with the cabin fever

Thanks, without the internet interaction, I would be like hermit here.

- I see Kaczur as back-up right tackle,especial with Harris past injury history.
- Reason I went with Tennent is because of his senior bowl performance. He got a lot of praise from the NFLN crew for his strength and techinque. Olson on the other hand didn't seems as strong to me.
- Gronkowski is very special player and his ability to split out give McDaniels options. Scheffer had 31 catches and with the loss of Marshall we need to get more players makers on the offense, Gronkowski is that type of player maker, especial is the end zone.
-Crowell is similiar to Haggens, which is good thing because that add depth to the LB corp. He could play both inside or out give us depth if someone get hurt.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

If all we can get for Marshall is a second rounder, a future fourth, and a backup, we need to keep him. That's not even high tender (first and third).

Sell him for the sky or keep him - just don't dump him, especially to an AFC team.

I'll be the first to complain about the Gronkowski pick. He may be a fantastic player, but we already have Scheffler and Hillis that could create mismatches with LB's if that is what the team wanted.

I think our natural progression will be power run, short pass, long pass. Neither NE or the new Broncos has attempted to use a "star TE."

There are several difference makers I would look for in round 2 that might change your lower rounds. Here is my short list (in no particular order):
Maurkice Pouncey - can play G or C, big and athletic.
Brandon Spikes - just a proven playmaker his whole career.
Jared Odrick - looks to me like he could be a great 3-4 DE at 6'5" 295
Dexter McCluster - this dude is the next Me-Shawn Jackson. Everyone will talk about how small he is, but he will just make guys look foolish in the NFL. Game changer on offense or ST, very versatile, complete mismatch for almost anyone trying to cover him out of the backfield.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Like the mock, besides 2A. It isn't that he's a bad player, but the fact that there are probably many better players available for us at the selection who could offer more to our team than him. Otherwise, great work.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
If all we can get for Marshall is a second rounder, a future fourth, and a backup, we need to keep him. That's not even high tender (first and third).

Sell him for the sky or keep him - just don't dump him, especially to an AFC team.
I think folks are going to be disappointed to what we get for Marshall. I see Hale as starter not a back-up. So a starter on the line, a second rounder and future pick is good swap for Marshall

I'll be the first to complain about the Gronkowski pick. He may be a fantastic player, but we already have Scheffler and Hillis that could create mismatches with LB's if that is what the team wanted.

Scheffler is gone, and I don't know if Hillis can work his way out of the doghouse. Think Gronkowski as improved Ben Watson for McDaniels

I think our natural progression will be power run, short pass, long pass. Neither NE or the new Broncos has attempted to use a "star TE."

There are several difference makers I would look for in round 2 that might change your lower rounds. Here is my short list (in no particular order):

My thoughts on your suggestions

Maurkice Pouncey - can play G or C, big and athletic.

I am not a fan, I think he doesn't move his feet real well, and doesn't have good techinque when comes to run blocking.

Brandon Spikes - just a proven playmaker his whole career.
Spikes best fit in 3/4 is in the same position DJ Williams plays, and we aren't going start a rookie over him

Jared Odrick - looks to me like he could be a great 3-4 DE at 6'5" 295
I expect Odrick to be a 1st round picks, so he isn't going to be there for us

Dexter McCluster - this dude is the next Me-Shawn Jackson. Everyone will talk about how small he is, but he will just make guys look foolish in the NFL. Game changer on offense or ST, very versatile, complete mismatch for almost anyone trying to cover him out of the backfield.

Great player but with Faulk on board, I don't see a role for him on the team.
My Comments in red above.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Like the mock, besides 2A. It isn't that he's a bad player, but the fact that there are probably many better players available for us at the selection who could offer more to our team than him. Otherwise, great work.
I know people are going to b**** about it, but he give Denver player that will help in the red zone and has the ability to flex wide. People really don't know how good a player he is.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Yeah, but I think there is better value there, especially considering he missed all of this past season.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: