The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,472
Default Krieger: Money talks with Broncos' Marshall

Krieger: Money talks with Broncos' Marshall
By Dave Krieger
Denver Post Columnist
Posted: 02/09/2010 01:00:00 AM MST


Now that the Super Bowl champion Saints have reminded everyone how useful a 6-foot-4 wide receiver can be — thank you, Marques Colston — let's set our imaginations free for a minute.

Imagine that everything the relevant parties have been saying lately about Brandon Marshall and the Broncos is true.

Imagine that neither Marshall nor coach Josh McDaniels has any problem continuing their professional association, as both recently said.

Imagine owner Pat Bowlen would like Marshall to stay, as he recently said, which really doesn't take much imagination.

Finally, imagine that this isn't all just posturing on everyone's part to salvage some semblance of leverage in trade talks.

In our imaginary world, where getting rid of a Pro Bowl wide receiver is not a foregone conclusion, the important thing to remember is that this is not like the Jay Cutler situation or the Tony Scheffler situation or the Peyton Hillis situation.

Despite the soap opera surrounding Marshall, this is not fundamentally about personality or performance. This is about money.

Marshall is one of only two NFL receivers to catch at least 100 passes in each of the past three seasons (Wes Welker is the other). He finished in the top five in catches and top 14 in receiving yardage each of those years.

Over those same three seasons, Marshall's salary cap number ranked 52nd (2009), 133rd (2008) and 137th (2007) among NFL wide receivers.

In other words, he has been underpaid throughout his NFL career to date. This was at the root of his problems with McDaniels last season. Based on former coach Mike Shanahan's policy, Marshall believed he was in line for a new deal as he entered the final year of a rookie contract he had clearly outplayed.

Shanahan's firing changed everything. McDaniels wasn't handing out a big new contract to a player who had proved nothing to him, especially one with significant off-field issues. So Marshall asked for a trade to a team that would pay him market value. McDaniels rejected this request as well.

That made it a war of wills. The message Marshall heard was that he would play for his below-market salary and like it. With NFL teams routinely renegotiating player salaries downward, the argument that he had no right to renegotiate his upward rang hollow. So he acted out, earning a preseason suspension.

Marshall has since acknowledged that was unprofessional, but there was a certain method to his petulance. The Broncos now know the risks in forcing him to play for below-market pay, which the lapsing labor agreement gives them the ability to do again next season.

With Marshall stuck in the purgatory of restricted free agency, the Broncos could tender him at the highest level, requiring compensation of first- and third-round draft choices from any team that signs him. If no team will pay that onerous price and the Broncos are unable to negotiate an acceptable trade, they could force Marshall to play for them in 2010 at a salary slightly in excess of $3 million, still well below his market value. That would be a prescription for more soap opera.

On the other hand, if all the parties to this relationship mean what they've been saying lately — a big if — the Broncos could attempt to bridge the gap by offering Marshall a one-year, market-value deal. The top 15 cap numbers for wideouts last season ranged from $6.4 million to $10.9 million.

Marshall would no doubt prefer a multiyear deal, but with a lockout looming in 2011, many teams may be reluctant to offer financial commitments beyond the coming season. And a one-year, market- value deal would let the Broncos see if Marshall could remain drama-free in the absence of a contract dispute.

Giving up on a Pro Bowl wideout one year after giving up on a Pro Bowl quarterback seems like a high price to pay for McDaniels to establish his authority, which is how Bowlen explained the young coach's behavior in his first year. By expressing the hope that Marshall stays, even Bowlen signaled that talent still matters.

Of course, everything Marshall and McDaniels have been saying lately could be spin. McDaniels' enthusiasm for establishing his authority, combined with the unhappiness among certain Shanahan holdovers toward the end of last season, strongly suggests the coach will continue cleaning house until the locker room is composed entirely of players he considers loyal.

So a Marshall trade still is the way to bet. But all the recent happy talk offers a reminder that it is not inevitable. The Broncos could yet decide to pay one of the NFL's top receivers a fair salary. In fact, it's likely to be their best option.

Dave Krieger: 303-954-5297, dkrieger@denverpost.com or twitter.com/DaveKrieger



Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/br...#ixzz0f36FGTpg



It's time to pay the man
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,273
Default

See, Crash. If you could only read........
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
~Crash~
My new dog
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
See, Crash. If you could only read........
what the **** you are saying is we should not pay players right ? go root for the bengals
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
~Crash~
My new dog
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
See, Crash. If you could only read........
oh also Paladin I see no were in this fluff piece were Marshall says a damn thing.

what I do see is a player getting **** on.
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
lifeafter elway
Solid Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 113
Default

If we give him a 1 year deal at market value - he is an unrestricted free agent at the beginning of the next season?

Give him a multiyear, or trade him while we can some value for him. Getting him for 1 year doesn't do anything for the broncos if they lose him at the end of that 1 year deal.
lifeafter elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,248

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

This is still a very delicate situation I'm not sure the Broncos are prepared to handle.
While both parties seem to agree on everything so far as far as mutually wanting each other, this can still blow up at the end...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter elway View Post
Give him a multiyear...
If there is no cba I can't see many multi-year deals being done around the league, particularly involving guaranteed upfront money. Owner aren't going to be handing out big upfront checks with a potential lockout on the horizon.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,740

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Broncos Brandon Marshall trade still best option?


With Brandon Marshall stuck in the purgatory of restricted free agency, the Broncos could tender him at the highest level, requiring compensation of first- and third-round draft choices from any team that signs him. If no team will pay that onerous price and the Broncos are unable to negotiate an acceptable trade, they could force Marshall to play for them in 2010 at a salary slightly in excess of $3 million, still well below his market value.

That would be a prescription for more soap opera. On the other hand, if all the parties to this relationship mean what they’ve been saying lately — a big if — the Broncos could attempt to bridge the gap by offering Marshall a one-year, market-value deal. The top 15 cap numbers for wideouts last season ranged from $6.4 million to $10.9 million.

Marshall would no doubt prefer a multiyear deal, but with a lockout looming in 2011, many teams may be reluctant to offer financial commitments beyond the coming season. And a one-year, market- value deal would let the Broncos see if Marshall could remain drama-free in the absence of a contract dispute.

Giving up on a Pro Bowl wideout one year after giving up on a Pro Bowl quarterback seems like a high price to pay for McDaniels to establish his authority, which is how Bowlen explained the young coach’s behavior in his first year.

By expressing the hope that Marshall stays, even Bowlen signaled that talent still matters. Of course, everything Marshall and McDaniels have been saying lately could be spin. … So a Marshall trade still is the way to bet. — Denver Post



http://benmaller.com/nfl/#1
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,025

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter elway View Post
If we give him a 1 year deal at market value - he is an unrestricted free agent at the beginning of the next season?

Give him a multiyear, or trade him while we can some value for him. Getting him for 1 year doesn't do anything for the broncos if they lose him at the end of that 1 year deal.
If they tender him this year at the high level for one year, they can still franchise him in 2011.....if there's any football to be played in 2011. He can only become a true unrestricted FA if the team allows him to become one. They hold all the cards this year and next.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Broncos Brandon Marshall trade still best option?


With Brandon Marshall stuck in the purgatory of restricted free agency, the Broncos could tender him at the highest level, requiring compensation of first- and third-round draft choices from any team that signs him. If no team will pay that onerous price and the Broncos are unable to negotiate an acceptable trade, they could force Marshall to play for them in 2010 at a salary slightly in excess of $3 million, still well below his market value.

That would be a prescription for more soap opera. On the other hand, if all the parties to this relationship mean what they’ve been saying lately — a big if — the Broncos could attempt to bridge the gap by offering Marshall a one-year, market-value deal. The top 15 cap numbers for wideouts last season ranged from $6.4 million to $10.9 million.

Marshall would no doubt prefer a multiyear deal, but with a lockout looming in 2011, many teams may be reluctant to offer financial commitments beyond the coming season. And a one-year, market- value deal would let the Broncos see if Marshall could remain drama-free in the absence of a contract dispute.

Giving up on a Pro Bowl wideout one year after giving up on a Pro Bowl quarterback seems like a high price to pay for McDaniels to establish his authority, which is how Bowlen explained the young coach’s behavior in his first year.

By expressing the hope that Marshall stays, even Bowlen signaled that talent still matters. Of course, everything Marshall and McDaniels have been saying lately could be spin. … So a Marshall trade still is the way to bet. — Denver Post



http://benmaller.com/nfl/#1
I don't think Bowlen will put up with too much of this IMO
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
~Crash~
My new dog
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter elway View Post
If we give him a 1 year deal at market value - he is an unrestricted free agent at the beginning of the next season?

Give him a multiyear, or trade him while we can some value for him. Getting him for 1 year doesn't do anything for the broncos if they lose him at the end of that 1 year deal.
true the NFL is not falling off the map you still need players give him a multi year contract that pays bones some this year and the rest the next time Marshall suits up after next years season .
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,740

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I don't think Bowlen will put up with too much of this IMO


Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
~Crash~
My new dog
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
If there is no cba I can't see many multi-year deals being done around the league, particularly involving guaranteed upfront money. Owner aren't going to be handing out big upfront checks with a potential lockout on the horizon.
see post above...
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Dan Krieger has got to be a complete ****ing idiot.

You NEVER pay a player market value for a one year deal when you can make him play a contract season at one third as much money.

If Marshall gets an extension it'll be a multi-year deal. He'll likely get a big base salary for 2010 with a lot of non-guaranteed and deferred bonuses, requiring the league to actually play football in order for Marshall to get paid.

Doom is the only guy who will be given a bunch of money he might not actually play for in 2011. Everyone else is either getting the one year RFA or they'll take a deal that pays them for the expected services in 2010 but not a ton of guaranteed signing bonuses.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #15
meangene
Ring of Famer
 
meangene's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Dan Krieger has got to be a complete ****ing idiot.

You NEVER pay a player market value for a one year deal when you can make him play a contract season at one third as much money.

If Marshall gets an extension it'll be a multi-year deal. He'll likely get a big base salary for 2010 with a lot of non-guaranteed and deferred bonuses, requiring the league to actually play football in order for Marshall to get paid.

Doom is the only guy who will be given a bunch of money he might not actually play for in 2011. Everyone else is either getting the one year RFA or they'll take a deal that pays them for the expected services in 2010 but not a ton of guaranteed signing bonuses.
EXACTLY! Plus, whether he gets market value for one year or is forced to play for less, Marshall is going to be unhappy. And then, we have this circus all over again. No, the best thing is to trade him to someone willing to give him a long term deal with the guaranteed money he wants. All this talk of him returning to Denver is just that - talk. It is in the best interest of both parties to use this as a tool to facilitate a trade. We are not going to give him away and there needs to be at least one team willing to pay him and give up the compensation to get him for both sides to be satisfied.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #16
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
EXACTLY! Plus, whether he gets market value for one year or is forced to play for less, Marshall is going to be unhappy. And then, we have this circus all over again. No, the best thing is to trade him to someone willing to give him a long term deal with the guaranteed money he wants. All this talk of him returning to Denver is just that - talk. It is in the best interest of both parties to use this as a tool to facilitate a trade. We are not going to give him away and there needs to be at least one team willing to pay him and give up the compensation to get him for both sides to be satisfied.
If Marshall is willing to take a deal structured something like this:

2010 - $10M base
2011 - $10M base
2012 - $5M base, $6M roster bonus
2013 - $3M base, $8M roster bonus
2014- $1M base, $12M roster bonus

Then I'd be absolutely ecstatic to see him extended. 5 years, $55M is more than what Roddy White got. This kind of deal would make Marshall second to only Larry Fitzgerald in WR salary. But at the same time he's got to earn it. He only gets the bonus money if the team hasn't been given reason to release him and if the league goes to lockout there isn't any guaranteed money tied up in him. He gets his $10M year one though so that he's gets a taste of what his compensation will be like going forward if he keeps his off-season activities out of the newspapers and his on field production at its current elite level.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,201

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

i agree. IF he truly has no problem with McDaniels, McDaniels has no problem with him, he wants to return to Denver, then get it done and give the man his money. but if it is all bull****, get what we can for him.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Giving up on a Pro Bowl wideout one year after giving up on a Pro Bowl quarterback seems like a high price to pay for McDaniels to establish his authority.
Denver Post
I was saying just exactly this in another thread ... and I was attacked as a "troll."

I guess the Post is a troll-rag now, right?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #19
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Drek, what's up with Anquan Boldin ... wasn't he franchised this year, or did they finally sign him?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #20
rastaman
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
If they tender him this year at the high level for one year, they can still franchise him in 2011.....if there's any football to be played in 2011. He can only become a true unrestricted FA if the team allows him to become one. They hold all the cards this year and next.
Sure Denver holds the cards in 2010 & 2011. However, what happens with this scenario, Brandon decides to do a Randy Moss inspersonation when Moss was with the Raiders. How much trade value would Marshall have then? Baring injury(s) two years from now Marshall will still be a beast of talent and still in his prime. Teams will pay him the mega bucks while Denver gets hardly anything in return in 2012. Are Bowlen and McD sure they want to deal with the possible media drama, locker room distraction, and player divide in 2010 and 2011.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #21
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,376

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Sure Denver holds the cards in 2010 & 2011. However, what happens with this scenario, Brandon decides to do a Randy Moss inspersonation when Moss was with the Raiders. How much trade value would Marshall have then? Baring injury(s) two years from now Marshall will still be a beast of talent and still in his prime. Teams will pay him the mega bucks while Denver gets hardly anything in return in 2012. Are Bowlen and McD sure they want to deal with the possible media drama, locker room distraction, and player divide in 2010 and 2011.
This is an astonishingly stupid post, even by your standards. Just... wow.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #22
rastaman
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
If Marshall is willing to take a deal structured something like this:

2010 - $10M base
2011 - $10M base
2012 - $5M base, $6M roster bonus
2013 - $3M base, $8M roster bonus
2014- $1M base, $12M roster bonus

Then I'd be absolutely ecstatic to see him extended. 5 years, $55M is more than what Roddy White got. This kind of deal would make Marshall second to only Larry Fitzgerald in WR salary. But at the same time he's got to earn it. He only gets the bonus money if the team hasn't been given reason to release him and if the league goes to lockout there isn't any guaranteed money tied up in him. He gets his $10M year one though so that he's gets a taste of what his compensation will be like going forward if he keeps his off-season activities out of the newspapers and his on field production at its current elite level.
Here's and another spin or possibility no one is considering nor talking about.

Marshall would be a fool to sign such a deal. He would be better off waiting until he's truly a free agent and while doing so not playing risky football by taking unnecessary punishment and hoping he stays injury free over the next two years.

In fact untill he signs a longer term deal Brandon may want to forego trying to catch 100 plus receptions in 010 and 011 to cut down on the wear and tear and his body and b/c 010 and 011 he may still be signifigantly under paid. Denver can't expect that type of production out of Marshall if they can't pay him top 5 money.

So if Bmarsh is getting under paid in 010 and 011, the Broncos can't arrogantly expect him to have further 100 plus receptions over the next 2 years. And to save wear and tear on his body and avoiding 100 plus receptioins while under paid, Brandon may have no other choice but to turn into the Randy Moss of the Oakland Raiders.

Remember there are risk factors for Bowlen financially and risk factors for BMarsh that he could suffer a career ending injury on any given Sunday.

The Broncos can't hold over Brandon's head his past off the field problems as leverage and bargaining, as each year pass as in 010 and 011 conclude and there are no incidents. Meanwhile
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #23
rastaman
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
This is an astonishingly stupid post, even by your standards. Just... wow.
Its still a possibility. Brandon is still young enough and talented enough to pull it off. He just needs to avoid a career ending injury btwn 010 and 011. Teams already know what a beast of talent Brandon truly remains. While Denver is playing hard ball and demanding too much for a trade btwn 010 and 011 for Brandon, NFL teams will simply out wait the Broncos.

Meanwhile Marshall just needs to stay healthy and just not break his neck to have 100 plus receptions in 010 and 011 to cut down wear and tear on his body. Randy Moss was able to do this while with the Raiders and Oakland was only given something like a 4th round pick by NE when the trade was made. The Raider organization just wanted Moss gone and to hell with the compensation!
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #24
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
This is an astonishingly stupid post, even by your standards. Just... wow.
What was wrong with it? I'm not sure I agree with it, but it certainly wasn't stupid.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #25
rastaman
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
What was wrong with it? I'm not sure I agree with it, but it certainly wasn't stupid.
This could be a worst case scenario and should be considered as a possibility. Brandon is simple a difference maker and missing ingredient for some teams ready to take the next step of getting better or even getting to the SB.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Denver Broncos