The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Donovan McNabb and the Denver Broncos: What do trade talks mean for Kyle Orton?

Donovan McNabb and the Denver Broncos: What do trade talks mean for Kyle Orton?

By Michael Roberts, Feb. 8 2010 @ 12:55PM

if you think the Broncos' quarterback situation is stable, think again. This weekend, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported that Denver's had multiple conversations with the Philadelphia Eagles about the availability of QB Donovan McNabb.

Is a deal likely to be reached between these two teams for a player as high profile as McNabb? Survey says unlikely -- although this time last year, most observers would have bet money on a bromance developing between Jay Cutler and Josh McDaniels. But even if nothing happens, there's little doubt that the continuing search isn't good news for Kyle Orton.

The assumption on the part of many fans is that the team would look for a new quarterback to groom and keep Orton around in a caretaker role. But McNabb is hardly a fresh-faced rookie. He's 33, with a decade-plus in the league under his belt, not to mention a history of injuries that have spawned oodles of criticism -- much of it undeserved, but still.

Given McNabb's age, however, he'd only make sense for the Broncos as someone to keep the center's butt warm for a younger quarterback -- suggesting that McDaniels and company aren't even confident Orton can handle a gap-filling role.

That's a long fall for KO from October of last year, when plenty of folks were comparing him favorably to Cutler, in part because of his unexpectedly healthy winning percentage. That's what losing six of the season's last eight games can do to a reputation.

Even if a McNabb deal doesn't happen, Orton shouldn't get comfortable -- because Coach McD appears to be in a shopping-around mood.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...the_denver.php
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

countdown til orton stops answering his phone calls from bowlen?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post

Even if a McNabb deal doesn't happen, Orton shouldn't get comfortable -- because Coach McD appears to be in a shopping-around mood.
Good. I fully applaud McDaniels and the FO for being aggressive on this issue. It shows they recognize the obvious and painful problem at QB. It is real and it is there and it needs to be addressed. Good for them that they're already talking to people and trying to improve this area. Not sure how I feel about McNabb specifically...he is an upgrade for sure, but I would strongly prefer a real long-term solution and he isn't one.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Punisher
® Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got? ®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Please i hope we don't get McNabb he sucks balls
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

McNabb would also be a stop gap until we can get a QB of the future. However, McNabb is light years better than Orton and would be a good move in my mind.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
TheDave
Sauced...

If this is real, and they are this down on Orton... I wish we would have dangled cutler out there a little longer and gotten someone else.

or traded up and gotten Sanchez...

I hope this is just an Internet rumor run amok

Last edited by TheDave; 02-08-2010 at 07:05 PM..
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
If this is real, and they are this down on Orton... I wish we would have dangled cutler out there a little longer and gotten someone else.

Both Pat and McD said they wanted Orton back so you know what that means.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
McNabb would also be a stop gap until we can get a QB of the future. However, McNabb is light years better than Orton and would be a good move in my mind.
the thing with McNabb is will he learn the system well enough for the talent gap between him and Orton to be evident? because if Orton in his 2nd season is going to play as well as McNabb in his 1st season in Denver, it makes no sense to trade valuable picks away for McNabb.

i am looking at it this way. McNabb is a talented QB, but not very smart, fragile and near the end of his career. even if we got him, the search for a QBOTF is still in progress and he may only be of use for a season or 2.

the asking price for the guy will probably be a minimum of a 2nd and at his age and the injury risk, he isn't worth it.

in fact i would bet more that we called about Kolb and not McNabb. Young talented, itching to finally get the opportunity to start and able to fill the role of QB for now, and QBOTF.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

If you don't have a top tier qB you are always looking to upgrade...i hope we draft a stud qb, bc that is going to insure long term success. n
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:

Or held onto those thirds to draft McGee out of Texas AM
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Although we continue to hear speculation of a Donovan McNabb trade to a variety of locations, there have been concurrent signs that Kevin Kolb could be on the move, too.

Eagles TE Brent Celek was on WFAN on Friday morning, and he compared Kolb to Drew Brees, per a tweet from Eagles beat writer Geoff Mosher. Does that mean his career will take off with another team? On Sunday night, Bud Shaw of the Cleveland Plain Dealer wrote that Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert are on the lookout for their version of Brees. Hmmm.

In comments this past week to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Kolb said, "I want to be a starter in the NFL. ... But I'm going to be a team player. I trust [coach] Andy [Reid]. I trust his decisions and his ability to see what's in the future and plan out my career the right way." Kolb has been spending his time off fishing, per the Star-Telegram. We'll be interested to see whether he catches his wish -- becoming an NFL starting QB -- as well this offseason.

It makes you wonder who people are calling about McNabb or Kolb.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Means Kyle Orton is a dumb son of a beeyatch who couldn't throw a football through a tire swing at the local fair to win a child a stuffed Anima.l./
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

My lasting image is of McNabb converting that 3rd and 25 against us with total improvisation something Orton couldn't do in special olympics game.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Although we continue to hear speculation of a Donovan McNabb trade to a variety of locations, there have been concurrent signs that Kevin Kolb could be on the move, too.

Eagles TE Brent Celek was on WFAN on Friday morning, and he compared Kolb to Drew Brees, per a tweet from Eagles beat writer Geoff Mosher. Does that mean his career will take off with another team? On Sunday night, Bud Shaw of the Cleveland Plain Dealer wrote that Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert are on the lookout for their version of Brees. Hmmm.

In comments this past week to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Kolb said, "I want to be a starter in the NFL. ... But I'm going to be a team player. I trust [coach] Andy [Reid]. I trust his decisions and his ability to see what's in the future and plan out my career the right way." Kolb has been spending his time off fishing, per the Star-Telegram. We'll be interested to see whether he catches his wish -- becoming an NFL starting QB -- as well this offseason.

It makes you wonder who people are calling about McNabb or Kolb.
Kolb would be a very, very interesting option. He's got some nice skills that the staff could coach up. That might not be a bad idea at all for us to go after him.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Please i hope we don't get McNabb he sucks balls
wow...he sucks balls...are you serious, the guy is a proven winner in this league for over ten years now
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #16
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
If you don't have a top tier qB you are always looking to upgrade...i hope we draft a stud qb, bc that is going to insure long term success. n
Really...drafting a stud college QB is not insuring long term success to our team.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #17
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

What does it mean for Orton if we pursue McNabb? 2 things. His lease is month to month, and his tab at Spanky's Liquor Emporium is paid up.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #18
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
My lasting image is of McNabb converting that 3rd and 25 against us with total improvisation something Orton couldn't do in special olympics game.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #19
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Good. I fully applaud McDaniels and the FO for being aggressive on this issue. It shows they recognize the obvious and painful problem at QB. It is real and it is there and it needs to be addressed. Good for them that they're already talking to people and trying to improve this area. Not sure how I feel about McNabb specifically...he is an upgrade for sure, but I would strongly prefer a real long-term solution and he isn't one.
I'd say he's got 5 good years left and it's more than Orton will give us! We get McNabb and draft or groom Tom B for the future! I wouldn't be against picking up McNabb at all!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #20
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
We need to remember to decouple Cutler and Orton. Cutler was not traded for Orton. Orton was acquired to fill the void at the QB position probably with full knowledge that he wasn't likely the long term answer.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #21
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
We need to remember to decouple Cutler and Orton. Cutler was not traded for Orton. Orton was acquired to fill the void at the QB position probably with full knowledge that he wasn't likely the long term answer.
That not exactly true. The trade with Chicago went through, because McDaniels like him better then any of the other QB offered (like Campbell) to run this offense. So you can not decouple the two.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #22
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

McNabb is a top 10 QB (period). Orton is not.

Orton is a good backup QB. He's a guy you feel comfortable about if you need to lean on your running game and defense in order to win a few games. He's not a guy you build a championship team around.

That being said, you don't find franchise QB's bagging groceries (well maybe you do.).

I would absolutely love to get McNabb this year and then draft a kid like Locker next year. We would be set.

The only problems I see...one was mentioned and that is...how quickl can DNAB learn our system and the second...is, how much will it cost us?

Would you give a 2nd for him?
Would you trade BMarsh for him?
How about BMarsh for DNAB and another player or draft pick?
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #23
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yeah, whatever... in a blockbuster trade like that there shouldn't be any "throw aways". Assuming this is true, and that is a big assumption, then the QB position hs been miss-handled.

Would a jason campbell/Washington trade been better?

If Orton was just a throw-in, then we should have addressed the QB position in the draft.

If they are really looking to dump him already (and again that is a big if) then the Cutler trade continues to confuse me.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #24
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Quote:
Yeah, whatever... in a blockbuster trade like that there shouldn't be any "throw aways". Assuming this is true, and that is a big assumption, then the QB position hs been miss-handled.

Would a jason campbell/Washington trade been better?

If Orton was just a throw-in, then we should have addressed the QB position in the draft.

If they are really looking to dump him already (and again that is a big if) then the Cutler trade continues to confuse me.
The Cutler trade was about the 2 first round picks and Orton. There's nothing confusing about it - they never planned to do it. They did it because Cutler babied his way out.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #25
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
So you can not decouple the two.
I understand what you're saying but I'm going to make my point again: Cutler was not traded for Orton. Put another way, Cutler was not traded for purposes of acquiring Orton. Cutler was traded because some combination of Bowlen, McDaniels, and Ellis wanted Cutler gone. They found what they thought was the best deal for Cutler and that deal included acquiring Kyle Orton from Chicago to play the QB position in Denver for some indeterminate time period. So there is an inherent link between them but I'll say it again in case it hasn't sunk in yet: Jay Cutler was not traded for Kyle Orton.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote