The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,822

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default McDaniels Interview with Gary Miller

http://www.cbs4denver.com/video/?id=...nc.dayport.com
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,349
Default

Thanks for the link.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,149
Default

saw it
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,822

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
saw it
In 4 minutes?
This link is for the whole interview. 29:42 minutes. A lot longer than the one on TV.

The good:
I think McDaniels has a good plan for the season.
He continues to show he's a smart football guy that understand what it takes to win.

The bad: He dodged a couple of questions directly implied to be about Hillis and Scheffler at the 12th minute segment of the interview. He answered the question by making reference to players on defense like Dawkins, Hill, Goodman, etc... the question was more about Hillis and Scheffler like I said.

Overall, good interview, let's see if he can practice what he preaches and translates that into more wins for us next season...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,349
Default

It was a pretty boring interview.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,822

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
It was a pretty boring interview.
The lack of more specific answers bugged me a little.
For example at the ~24th minute he was asked about the draft if he had any specific area of the team he would want to address. He again gave generic answers.
Don't get me wrong, I understand he's not going to say what player(s) he's looking to get, that was not the question, it was about areas of the team that has the most needs.
So, I'm afraid judging by his answers that he might still go for a player like Alphonso Smith or Quinn as he put it.."players that can help our team"
What does that mean.
I think a player can help our team. The question is, what area of the team do we need more help at?
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,727

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
The lack of more specific answers bugged me a little.
For example at the ~24th minute he was asked about the draft if he had any specific area of the team he would want to address. He again gave generic answers.
Don't get me wrong, I understand he's not going to say what player(s) he's looking to get, that was not the question, it was about areas of the team that has the most needs.
So, I'm afraid judging by his answers that he might still go for a player like Alphonso Smith or Quinn as he put it.."players that can help our team"
What does that mean.
I think a player can help our team. The question is, what area of the team do we need more help at?
no NFL coach will ever say what they are specifically looking for in the draft. not a single one, that includes mcdaniels.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,822

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
no NFL coach will ever say what they are specifically looking for in the draft. not a single one, that includes mcdaniels.
Even though I've made clear that I understood that a coach wouldn't be specific about a specific player, you still managed to miss that point and try to argue.
The question was about the areas of the team that has a priority going into the draft
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,727

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Even though I've made clear that I understood that a coach wouldn't be specific about a specific player, you still managed to miss that point and try to argue.
That's no what I said, was it?
you said you want him to say what he is looking for in the draft specifically. guess what, i bet even mcdaniels doesnt know for sure until hes on the clock and to see whos on the board still. they are always looking to upgrade every position in draft and FA, he gave a very honest answer.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,822

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
you said you want him to say what he is looking for in the draft specifically. guess what, i bet even mcdaniels doesnt know for sure until hes on the clock and to see whos on the board still. they are always looking to upgrade every position in draft and FA, he gave a very honest answer.
So, he doesn't know if he wants to address the offense or defense in the draft?
As in what areas he would be looking to upgrade?
He will find out once he's on the clock?!
Wow, we're in trouble then...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,022

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

10 and 6 in 2010
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:19 AM   #12
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos
 
The MVPlaya's Avatar
 
out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
The lack of more specific answers bugged me a little.
For example at the ~24th minute he was asked about the draft if he had any specific area of the team he would want to address. He again gave generic answers.
Don't get me wrong, I understand he's not going to say what player(s) he's looking to get, that was not the question, it was about areas of the team that has the most needs.
So, I'm afraid judging by his answers that he might still go for a player like Alphonso Smith or Quinn as he put it.."players that can help our team"
What does that mean.
I think a player can help our team. The question is, what area of the team do we need more help at?
No coach will ever answer that question directly unless there is injury possibly or something extremely obvious.

They've been working every day, very hard as it seems, I think they know what areas they need help.

Why would coach ever answer that question? Answering that question makes you vulnerable to the upcoming FA, the draft, etc. Did you forget how Shanny handled those questions?

Seriously - you're a fuccin dumbasssss.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:36 AM   #13
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
The question was about the areas of the team that has a priority going into the draft
This time around let's just hope they spend more than a few weeks preparing.

Maybe they'll upgrade the draft board to something larger than a Post-It note as well this year.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
Durango
Ring of Famer
 
Durango's Avatar
 
Woodsman

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Durango
Posts: 1,071

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
No coach will ever answer that question directly unless there is injury possibly or something extremely obvious.

They've been working every day, very hard as it seems, I think they know what areas they need help.

Why would coach ever answer that question? Answering that question makes you vulnerable to the upcoming FA, the draft, etc. Did you forget how Shanny handled those questions?

Seriously - you're a fuccin dumbasssss.
Yeah, I could hear that. He's going skiing to think things over.

Look, I don't begrudge the man a vacation, but he could have been a little more specific about what he sees as real need areas for the team. The question wasn't posed as confrontation either, as you seem predisposed to take every God D**ned thing posted on this site that doesn't fit nicely into your God-worship of Josh McDaniels. Jesus!
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #15
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,613

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
So, he doesn't know if he wants to address the offense or defense in the draft?
As in what areas he would be looking to upgrade?
He will find out once he's on the clock?!
Wow, we're in trouble then...
your being a drama queen. They have what you call a big board. When they get to their selection they will see who is available who they rate as their BPA and then select him. If you want to know the future, call Cleo. Other than that sit back and enjoy the ride.
You make it sound like the Orginization has no clue about the draft and what to do when their pick comes up
Dude your kind of a BIG drama queen. Man up
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #16
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,613

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
Yeah, I could hear that. He's going skiing to think things over.

Look, I don't begrudge the man a vacation, but he could have been a little more specific about what he sees as real need areas for the team. The question wasn't posed as confrontation either, as you seem predisposed to take every God D**ned thing posted on this site that doesn't fit nicely into your God-worship of Josh McDaniels. Jesus!
Bipolar much?
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #17
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
This time around let's just hope they spend more than a few weeks preparing.

Maybe they'll upgrade the draft board to something larger than a Post-It note as well this year.

A post-it note is a little dramatic. Clearly it was an index card...


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #18
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,666
Default

The general tone of harping on McDaniels because he wont answer specifically about the team's need areas is a little silly to me. Shanahan never gave specific answers about the draft, team needs or what direction they would go in during FA. We found out what he thought the team needs were after he drafted or signed guys. Its the same for every other NFL team. As for the "dudging" of the Sheffler and Hillis questions...they were backup players. Does any other NFL HC get asked that many questions about their 2nd string TE or 3rd string RB?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #19
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,613

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I like Sheffler and Hillis. If we have to get rid of them to smoothe over the locker room i am giving them away. Possibly giving a team a draft pick to do so. Ok i was being sarcastic there. I like what MCD is doing to this team. He has his short comeings for sure. As everyone does. Most of us have been crying for this sort of accountability to be in this orginization for so long. Does it piss me off that we are called the NE Patriots west? No becasue look at KC.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,280

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
So, he doesn't know if he wants to address the offense or defense in the draft?
As in what areas he would be looking to upgrade?
He will find out once he's on the clock?!
Wow, we're in trouble then...
Please.

If he said "the offense", then you'd just crucify him for not wanting to improve the unit that largely collapsed during the 2nd half of the season.

If he said "the defense", then you'd just crucify him for not wanting to improve what you view as a major weakness of the team.

We all get it. He can do no right in your eyes. Awesome. Why don't you just leave until he's either fired or moves on in some other way to some other team, because we all know what you're going to say before you say it?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #21
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,478

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I like what he said about having his draft board available. Failures in the draft are 40% of what I'm looking for and I'm hoping a feel season of scouting will avoid the underwhelming class that he had last year. I want to see him exercise some prudence and patience this year in the draft. I hope they continue their excellent efforts in free agency too. Free agency home runs were the biggest reason our defense turned around. He also said he believes in modifying the system to the player which is different than what we were hearing last year. Let's hope that we see some serious upgrades and hit on the draft. If not, then we will be turning the page on McDaniels next year.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,727

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
So, he doesn't know if he wants to address the offense or defense in the draft?
As in what areas he would be looking to upgrade?
He will find out once he's on the clock?!
Wow, we're in trouble then...
he will make choices to upgrade the team in the draft, depending on whos available and who they like. if you are not in the draft room of the denver broncos, thats all you need to know.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #23
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,822

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
your being a drama queen. They have what you call a big board. When they get to their selection they will see who is available who they rate as their BPA and then select him. If you want to know the future, call Cleo. Other than that sit back and enjoy the ride.
You make it sound like the Orginization has no clue about the draft and what to do when their pick comes up
Dude your kind of a BIG drama queen. Man up
I understand a lot of you guys don't like me.
You guys can't wait to jump on my case as soon as you get a chance, and quite often, you read stuff that I didn't say.
This is one of them. BTW, I could care less about who likes me and who doesn't.

Anyway, don't accuse me of creating drama when tsigay96 started the drama by reading into stuff I didn't say, even after my disclaimer. That's how much of an idiot that guy is.
And here you are looking like a moron saying the same thing.
Look. There's nothing wrong with McDaniels telling the fans that our defense will be upgraded, or that pur offense will be upgraded thru the draft.
He could be lying for all I care, but stop the freakin' dodging and evading questions.
Stop sending people on a wild goose chase

BPA to McDaniles means guys like Moreno, Quinn, Smith.
I think he needs to re-assess his position and draft by needs.

You guys are the reason why I started to hate McDaniels, people like you, florida broncos, tsigay69, and the gangster MVPlaya'

I was hoping to have a decent debate about McDaniels interview, but I should've known better to do that without hurting the feelings of the idiots mentioned above.
You guys need to grow up!

Last edited by strafen; 02-08-2010 at 11:04 AM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #24
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,727

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I like what he said about having his draft board available. Failures in the draft are 40% of what I'm looking for and I'm hoping a feel season of scouting will avoid the underwhelming class that he had last year. I want to see him exercise some prudence and patience this year in the draft. I hope they continue their excellent efforts in free agency too. Free agency home runs were the biggest reason our defense turned around. He also said he believes in modifying the system to the player which is different than what we were hearing last year. Let's hope that we see some serious upgrades and hit on the draft. If not, then we will be turning the page on McDaniels next year.
he said you can modify the system to an extent, but you really need to find guys who fit the system so its a set structure.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #25
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,822

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Please.

If he said "the offense", then you'd just crucify him for not wanting to improve the unit that largely collapsed during the 2nd half of the season.

If he said "the defense", then you'd just crucify him for not wanting to improve what you view as a major weakness of the team.

We all get it. He can do no right in your eyes. Awesome. Why don't you just leave until he's either fired or moves on in some other way to some other team, because we all know what you're going to say before you say it?
There's a big difference between saying we're going to draft this guy, and saying our number one priority is ugrading our defense, or our offense. By saying that, he's not revealing any secrets.
Stop the drama. I was just expressing my opinions about the interview, which I thought it was good for most part as I said in my original post, but you guys missed that and concentrted on the negative...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Denver Broncos