The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Default Bowlen wants BM back and draft a QB

Bowlen says Brandon Marshall might be back with Broncos

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/06/2010 08:23:57 PM MST
Updated: 02/06/2010 08:44:23 PM MST

Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen watches the clock tic down during their win over the Oakland Raiders 23-3 Sunday, September 27, 2009, at the Oakland Coliseum. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. — In his first interview since the Broncos faded from a 6-0 start to an 8-8 finish, Pat Bowlen, the team's owner since 1984, addressed his club's hot-button issues with The Denver Post on Super Bowl eve Saturday.

Bowlen said he would like star receiver Brandon Marshall to remain with the Broncos, but wouldn't block a trade if rookie coach Josh McDaniels feels it would benefit the team. Bowlen revealed the plan is for Kyle Orton to remain the Broncos' quarterback, but the team hopes to select another quarterback in the upcoming draft.

Bowlen said he wasn't troubled by McDaniels' decision to bench Marshall and Tony Scheffler in the season's final game, saying it was necessary for a young coach

"If I learned anything, (it) is these kinds of things are learning experiences, especially for a brand new, 33-year-old coach, who obviously has all the pedigree but has never before had the job," Bowlen said. "And now he's faced with the job. And so I think from my standpoint, he did a very good job handling that."

For the first time in his 26-year reign as Broncos owner, Bowlen has gone through four consecutive seasons without a playoff experience.

"Thanks for reminding me," Bowlen said.

In those four seasons, Bowlen often has had a Marshall issue cross his desk. Marshall has been the team's most talented and productive player the past four years. But he also has forced Bowlen to make sure head trainer Steve "Greek" Antonopulos never runs out of aspirin.

"I think Brandon is going through a maturing process," Bowlen said. "Personally, I saw change in his personality and approach to things (this past season). He didn't have the same sort of attitude and anxiety that he's had. I personally would like to see him stay. And there's still a good possibility that could happen."

However, Bowlen understands there are extenuating circumstances to guarantee Marshall's return — most notably the uncertainty of the league's labor situation. Bowlen respected the gag order commissioner Roger Goodell placed on owners at their meeting earlier Saturday, but the Broncos may not be in position to offer multiyear contracts to any of their restricted free agents — a group that includes Marshall, Orton, Scheffler, Elvis Dumervil and Chris Kuper. That's the case so long as there remains a threat of a work stoppage in 2011.

Would Marshall return on a one-year deal?

"I'd like to see Brandon stay," Bowlen said. "Now, if the head coach sits down and says no, I want to trade him, or I've got a deal that's going to be beneficial to the club, I don't think I'm going to override him.

"I think Brandon going through this whole process last year, I think it matured him a little bit, if not a lot. And I think he's, at least I hope he is, wondering if it's the right thing for him to move to another team. I think that's a question mark in his mind. He hasn't told me that, but I have a sense of that."

As for who will throw to Marshall next season, or throw to receivers other than Marshall, Bowlen said Orton is his man.

"I want Kyle back," Bowlen said. "Orton is a good quarterback. I'd also like to think we might have the opportunity to draft a young quarterback, not necessarily to come in and play right away, but if you have the opportunity to draft somebody, that would be a plus for us."

He wasn't specific, but the assumption is the Broncos would not wait until the later rounds if they chose to draft a quarterback.

Aware McDaniels has received his share of criticism through his first year for making such bold moves as trading away quarterback Jay Cutler, benching Marshall and Scheffler for the season's final game, and allowing defensive coordinator Mike Nolan to leave for a similar job with Miami, Bowlen endorsed his coach's style while adding any mistakes that were made will be corrected with experience.

"I wasn't particularly upset or in angst about the way he handled it," Bowlen said. "He wants to establish his own discipline and his own personality as far as the way he wants to run his club. And I think, as time goes, that will mellow out a little bit. But I think he was trying to make a point or let people know that he wasn't going to be a pushover. And I think a lot of that comes from his age. The fact is he's young, he has to assert that kind of authority. And I agree with him, because he has to gain the respect of the players.

"I'm certainly not disappointed. We would have liked to have won a couple more games and made it to the playoffs, but we didn't. We were 8-8 essentially for the fourth year in a row, but he's got his stamp on the team. I think at this point going forward, players and staff are going to know what to expect."

Near the end of the interview, Bowlen was told about rumors he was out of touch with what was going on with his franchise. Told that didn't seem to be the case, he said: "Are you sure? Something must be wrong. No, I'm very comfortable with what I have regarding our team. You might come back to me nine months from now and ask, 'Are you still comfortable?' But I'm not uncomfortable with what I see as far as the Broncos are concerned."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz0epBvwrRV

Last edited by bronco militia; 02-06-2010 at 09:29 PM..
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Interesting read.

Nothing too surprising, though I still can't imagine Marshall suiting up for us next year. Maybe my read on the whole thing is just off... but I think he wants to be the highest paid receiver in the league, and I don't think the Broncos want any part of that.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

I'm glad the owner feels the team is in a position to "draft a young QB" if one is available.

Also good to know "mistakes will be corrected with experience" or something or another.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Its good to know that Pat is willing to let both Marshall and McDaniels to learn on the job.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I don't remember Bowlen being more involved in football operations than he is now. Does anyone here remember Bowlen being as involved in football operations as he is now? I'm I wrong thinking this?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I don't remember Bowlen being more involved in football operations than he is now. Does anyone here remember Bowlen being as involved in football operations as he is now? I'm I wrong thinking this?
He's always been an "in the background" owner as far as I know.

His "involvement" in the Cutler saga was a surprise to me.

No word on whether he had the right cellphone number though.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Stuff about Marshall and a qb is not the important part of the interview. If the lack of a CBA affects the FA and contracts as much as he implies, and the threat of a lockpout in 2011 is a strong as he seems to imply, then it may be that FAs will not get contracts for more tha a year, and not as big of a deal as they would hope. Guarantees may be a bit small. So, there may not be much movement at all.

The BM stuff is pretty neutral, and the QB thing seems to be the sort of thing anyone would say. I'd look for Skelton in the 4th.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

I'm just going to read between the lines and totally just assume he's saying Orton is a one year stop gap while we develop another QB... God, I wish that was the case.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Nice.

Bowlen needs to pay Marshall!
Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I would rather have him come out and say we're keeping Doom.

MMMMMmmmmmm. On the job head coach training. Sounds uninspiring. Basically Bowlen bent over to kiss Josh's ass at the ripe age of 32.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Would you be a little nervous if you were Brandstater and the team owner mentions he would like to draft a QB?

Maybe he won't be our Tom B. Superstar?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #12
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Sounds like Pat foresees a worsening of the economy and resulting in smaller revenues for the Broncos, at least that is what I get reading between the lines.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #13
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

This is why Champ Doom and BM situations are going to be interesting this offseason. I doubt either player will take 1 yr deals to stay.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #14
yerner
Ring of Famer

I didn't find that comforting at all.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:13 AM   #15
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Would you be a little nervous if you were Brandstater and the team owner mentions he would like to draft a QB?

Maybe he won't be our Tom B. Superstar?
Tom B will be so upset, he'll demand a trade for the team having the audacity to mention having someone else play QB for the team.

Oh wait. Not Tom B. Cutler. Cutler does that kind of whiny b**** stuff.

And BPC, Bowlen hardly "kissed McD's ass" as you say... I know you need something to b**** about at all times, but... doesn't that get old?
Old 02-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #16
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Bowlen's drunk...or gutless...take your pick. He's definitely not both at the same time...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #17
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

So funny how everybody was thinking it looked like BM would be gone. Everybody buying the media BS hype stories about this crap and the final week issue being totally over blown. BM is going to be a Bronco next year people. Live with it and love it.

And Popps, why the hell do you think BM thinks he is going to be the highest paid WR in the league? What merit do you have for thinking that way. The dude has been an AllPro for the last 2 years and way below standard pay for a player like that and now you think he wants the most money of any WR? I find that hard to swallow. I think BM would be very happy with a top 10 WR contract.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #18
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I don't think this Marshall thing will blow over...Then again, I was SURE Cutlergate was entirely in the minds of the fans, and that Josh and Jay had moved on, and I was dead wrong, so what do I know?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:15 AM   #19
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

For the first time in his 26-year reign as Broncos owner, Bowlen has gone through four consecutive seasons without a playoff experience.

"Thanks for reminding me," Bowlen said.

How many team owners can say that........
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:49 AM   #20
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

So this is what I learned from that interview.

1. McDaniels has complete control of personnel issue.
2. That Orton will get a single year deal, and look for us to draft a QB earlier
3. That economy and CBA uncertainty means no big name FA.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:37 AM   #21
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
So this is what I learned from that interview.

1. McDaniels has complete control of personnel issue.
2. That Orton will get a single year deal, and look for us to draft a QB earlier
3. That economy and CBA uncertainty means no big name FA.
Games are still selling out as a they did before & are still getting the same billions in TV contracts as they did before. Nothing has really changed with regards to the money they are pulling in. This is all CBA related.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Games are still selling out as a they did before & are still getting the same billions in TV contracts as they did before. Nothing has really changed with regards to the money they are pulling in. This is all CBA related.
Bowlen, like most owners doesn't make all his monies from Football Operations. If outside interest are performing poorly, that will/might effect Bowlen ability to put big signing bonuses.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:46 AM   #23
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm not sure I understand....we may not be able to sign some of our best players because of the potential for a lockout in 2011, but he thinks we should draft a QB early in 2010 and have Orton play over him for the year?

If we sign a QB to a 4 year deal out of the draft, that is essentially two years of said contract wasted. I haven't read much into the lockout, but what would it entail? Would coaches be able to interact/practice with players in 2011? I assume there will still be a draft? If a player will be able to interact with coaches and deal with football operations, it may be a better idea to draft a QB in 2011. Plus I hate the QB prospects in this draft.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:52 AM   #24
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Please please please keep Marshall!! We are never gonna get fair value for him through a trade. And draft a QB, but not in the first two rounds. If Tebow is there in the 3rd or 4th, take a flier on him, if we like Skelton or whoever, grab them up. I read between the lines and can assume Simms is gone!!
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #25
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I get the sense everybody's just saying the right thing.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote