The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Shannon Sharpe Bypassed Again

I wanted to keep this separate from the threads congratulating Floyd Little, and I agree, it's a great day for him. I also have to confess, Shannon is in the top five of my favorite Broncos of all time. He was truly, Elway's "Mr. Clutch." For him not to get in is a travesty.

Ozzie Newsome, Hall-of-Fame tight end, Ravens' general manager, and the man responsible for signing Sharpe before the 2000 season had this to say about him, "I think he's a threat when he's on the field. He has to be double-teamed. He's a great route-runner. He's proven that he can make the big plays. That's what separates him. He's a threat." Sharpe was selected All-Pro 4 times, played in 8 Pro Bowls(1992-1998, 2001) and amassed over 1,000 receiving yards in 3 different seasons. In a 1993 playoff game against the Los Angeles Raiders, Sharpe tied a postseason record with 13 receptions for 156 yards and a touchdown. In the Ravens 2000 AFC title game against the Raiders, he caught a short pass on 3rd down and 18 from his own 4-yard line and took it 96 yards for a touchdown, assisting his team to a 16-3 win. He finished his 14 year career with 815 receptions for 10,060 yards and 62 touchdowns in 203 games. (wiki)

Not to mention three SB rings. And my own highest accolade for Sharpe: Shannon always came up big in the big games. That is the sign of a HOFer.

And since I don't want to leave this as just an angry rant, I leave you some memorable Shannon Sharpe moments:

People Sharpe has commented on:
The New England Patriots: "Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" (during a 34 - 8 rout vs. the Patriots on November 17, 1996) [14]
WR Plaxico Burress: "Plexiglas"
WR Chad Ochocinco: "ocho no-show" instead of "ocho cinco"
RB Corey Dillon, "the biggest robbery since the Louisiana Purchase" (Subway Postgame Show, 2005-01-16, AFC divisional game IND 3 - NE 20)
QB Jake Plummer: "They're about to take out the 'SN' in Snake and put an 'F' in front of it." (from Movin' the Chains) [15]
QB Kyle Boller: "You do have your teammates behind you: your fullback and your halfback, and thatís only because they have to be." [16]
QB Kyle Boller: "I've got a better chance of winning the Kentucky Derby on the back of a donkey than they have of winning the Super Bowl with Kyle Boller."
Head Coach Tom Coughlin: "I would rather die in an abandoned building alone, and my family not know what happened, than play for Coughlin."
LB London Fletcher-Baker: "LondonFletcher-Baker.com; he's logged in."
Jacksonville Jaguars' strategy in a divisional playoff game against the New England Patriots: "Nothing cheap, nothing deep." (January 12, 2008)
CB Ray Buchanan, who wore a dog collar to Media Day and has guaranteed an Atlanta victory in Super Bowl XXXIII: "Had anybody heard of Ray Buchanan before he got to Atlanta?"
After Buchanan's assertion that Sharpe looked like a horse: "I've never called anybody ugly. Do I think people are ugly? Yeah, I think he's ugly, but I've never said that...Is he my friend? No. Did I ever view him as a friend? No. Do I view him as an acquaintance? No. Do I like him? No. If I see him in a snowstorm, his truck is broke down, mine is going perfectly, would I pick him up? No."
QB Steve DeBerg: "DeBerg is old enough to be my father, and he's still in the league. How old is DeBerg, 105?"
TE O.J. Santiago: "Santiago? Who, Benito?"
FS Eugene Robinson: "He can't out-talk me or cover me. He went to Colgate, but I'm smarter than he is. I might bump into him. I know he's not going to be covering me one-on-one. We know that's not going to happen, don't we?"
About the four people he'd invite to a dinner party: "Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Michael Jordan and Halle Berry. I'd talk to Gates, Buffett and Jordan first, and then me and Halle would go get another table in the back that's candlelit. And I'd let them discuss whatever they want to discuss." (wiki)

Hell, just for that, they should put him in the hall.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

He will get in over the next few years.

Today is a great day for BroncoNation.

Randy needs to get the focus of our attention next. Sharpe and TD have many years of eligibilty ahead of them.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

It's a surprise. He must have pissed some people off. It's a head-scracther to me.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Great pic from a great game.

96 against the Ravens. Nobody could stop anybody.

I also remember it was sunny, snowing, then sunny again.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I wanted to keep this separate from the threads congratulating Floyd Little, and I agree, it's a great day for him. I also have to confess, Shannon is in the top five of my favorite Broncos of all time. He was truly, Elway's "Mr. Clutch." For him not to get in is a travesty.

Ozzie Newsome, Hall-of-Fame tight end, Ravens' general manager, and the man responsible for signing Sharpe before the 2000 season had this to say about him, "I think he's a threat when he's on the field. He has to be double-teamed. He's a great route-runner. He's proven that he can make the big plays. That's what separates him. He's a threat." Sharpe was selected All-Pro 4 times, played in 8 Pro Bowls(1992-1998, 2001) and amassed over 1,000 receiving yards in 3 different seasons. In a 1993 playoff game against the Los Angeles Raiders, Sharpe tied a postseason record with 13 receptions for 156 yards and a touchdown. In the Ravens 2000 AFC title game against the Raiders, he caught a short pass on 3rd down and 18 from his own 4-yard line and took it 96 yards for a touchdown, assisting his team to a 16-3 win. He finished his 14 year career with 815 receptions for 10,060 yards and 62 touchdowns in 203 games. (wiki)

Not to mention three SB rings. And my own highest accolade for Sharpe: Shannon always came up big in the big games. That is the sign of a HOFer.

And since I don't want to leave this as just an angry rant, I leave you some memorable Shannon Sharpe moments:

People Sharpe has commented on:
The New England Patriots: "Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" (during a 34 - 8 rout vs. the Patriots on November 17, 1996) [14]
WR Plaxico Burress: "Plexiglas"
WR Chad Ochocinco: "ocho no-show" instead of "ocho cinco"
RB Corey Dillon, "the biggest robbery since the Louisiana Purchase" (Subway Postgame Show, 2005-01-16, AFC divisional game IND 3 - NE 20)
QB Jake Plummer: "They're about to take out the 'SN' in Snake and put an 'F' in front of it." (from Movin' the Chains) [15]
QB Kyle Boller: "You do have your teammates behind you: your fullback and your halfback, and thatís only because they have to be." [16]
QB Kyle Boller: "I've got a better chance of winning the Kentucky Derby on the back of a donkey than they have of winning the Super Bowl with Kyle Boller."
Head Coach Tom Coughlin: "I would rather die in an abandoned building alone, and my family not know what happened, than play for Coughlin."
LB London Fletcher-Baker: "LondonFletcher-Baker.com; he's logged in."
Jacksonville Jaguars' strategy in a divisional playoff game against the New England Patriots: "Nothing cheap, nothing deep." (January 12, 2008)
CB Ray Buchanan, who wore a dog collar to Media Day and has guaranteed an Atlanta victory in Super Bowl XXXIII: "Had anybody heard of Ray Buchanan before he got to Atlanta?"
After Buchanan's assertion that Sharpe looked like a horse: "I've never called anybody ugly. Do I think people are ugly? Yeah, I think he's ugly, but I've never said that...Is he my friend? No. Did I ever view him as a friend? No. Do I view him as an acquaintance? No. Do I like him? No. If I see him in a snowstorm, his truck is broke down, mine is going perfectly, would I pick him up? No."
QB Steve DeBerg: "DeBerg is old enough to be my father, and he's still in the league. How old is DeBerg, 105?"
TE O.J. Santiago: "Santiago? Who, Benito?"
FS Eugene Robinson: "He can't out-talk me or cover me. He went to Colgate, but I'm smarter than he is. I might bump into him. I know he's not going to be covering me one-on-one. We know that's not going to happen, don't we?"
About the four people he'd invite to a dinner party: "Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Michael Jordan and Halle Berry. I'd talk to Gates, Buffett and Jordan first, and then me and Halle would go get another table in the back that's candlelit. And I'd let them discuss whatever they want to discuss." (wiki)

Hell, just for that, they should put him in the hall.
My favorite quote of Shannon is: "We were so poor growing up, a burglar once broke into our house and we robbed him"
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

He'll be in there. This year belongs to the "Franchise"...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I have no doubt that Shannon will get in sooner or later.

I'm just happy that Floyd Little was able to make it in, as this was his last good chance.

Slowly but surely, we are starting to get some Denver Broncos into the Hall of Fame.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 02-06-2010 at 07:53 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Agree with other posters. My hope is that with Floyd's nomination is that it will open the gate a little bit more for other Broncos greats like Shay!
BigPlayShay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

He'll get in, no doubt. I'm surprised it wasn't this year...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

He made the final 10...which suggests he's very likely to get in in 2011 or 2012.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
He made the final 10...which suggests he's very likely to get in in 2011 or 2012.
Very good point.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #12
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

"I've got a better chance of winning the Kentucky Derby on the back of a donkey than they have of winning the Super Bowl with Kyle Boller."
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #13
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

The way I am looking at it is they weren't going to take 2 Broncos this year. So its better that Little got it as it was his last chance. The only thing that chaps my hide is that John Randall shouldn't even be a HOF member. It would have been better to take 2 Broncos.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

John Randle has as many sacks as Richard Dent, more than Lawrence Taylor. All from the defensive tackle position.

YES, he should be in the hall of fame. Whether it was this year, over the best all-time TE when he retired is debatable. Randle deserved to be in there.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #15
Popps
It's so easy

Awesome thread, Ro.

Sharpe helped revolutionize the position. He needs to be in... period.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #16
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Little getting in does give me hope for TD, Gradishar, Atwater, R. Smith and Simon Fletcher.

*Edit. 84 = awesome. I am so glad he was a Bronco and will make the HOF.
Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #17
anthonypacino
off season mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
John Randle has as many sacks as Richard Dent, more than Lawrence Taylor. All from the defensive tackle position.

YES, he should be in the hall of fame. Whether it was this year, over the best all-time TE when he retired is debatable. Randle deserved to be in there.
John Randle...YES, but Rickey Jackson?? He was part of a great LB group they had in NOLA at the time but no way a better pick than Sharpe or that matter what the hell did he ever do better than Randy Gradishar?? Congrats to the Franchise as our stable of HOFer's grows
anthonypacino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #18
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Little getting in does give me hope for TD, Gradishar, Atwater, R. Smith and Simon Fletcher.

It's highly unlikely that Fletcher will ever be a finalist much less inducted. While it was unjust, he never made a single Pro Bowl (despite leading the league in sacks one year). Atwater is probably facing an uphill battle as most safeties do, although he does have the benefit of being a fairly high profile safety during his time in the league (unlike other Denver stars in the past). Rod is also an uphill climb. Voters will appreciate his professionalism and consistency (Peter King has intimated in the past he would vote for Rod), but the fact that it took more accomplished WR's years and years to get their due (Monk, Stallworth etc.) and some still haven't gotten it (Carter) is not a promising sign for Rod. I suspect it will take 5-10 years from the point Rod is first eligible for his name to even be simply brought up in serious discussions on the committee. I'm not really qualified to speak on Gradishar as that was well before my time (although he was in the final 15 a year or two ago). I would say that among the names you listed above, T.D. has the best shot at being enshrined the fastest. You'll note that he's made the semifinals (list of 25) a few years in a row now during his first few years of eligibility, which is a VERY promising sign considering that he's still a young man in his late 30s. It's definitely well within reach for him. I would not be surprised if Davis starts making the final 15 list in the next couple years and gets elected in the next 5-7 years or so.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #19
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

Sorry, but Fletcher will not sniff the HOF. He was good and we all know it but he didnt make one probowl. No one ever knew him outside of Denver except Jim Rome. As for Gradishar, there is now some hope for him. How he isnt when so many guys from the Steelers, Raiders and Cowboys are in ahead of him based on Super Bowls, then TD should be a shoe in. If it can be persuaded against Denver, they will find a way. Floyd getting in took the senior voters but it is a big step in the right direction.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:33 AM   #20
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

I'm pissed that Sharpe didn't make it.
BUT, I have NO PROBLEM with that, when the HoF class is at it's MAX CAPACITY like it is this year.

When you send in only 4-5-6 players I think that's an insult to the players who didn't make it!
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #21
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It's highly unlikely that Fletcher will ever be a finalist much less inducted. While it was unjust, he never made a single Pro Bowl (despite leading the league in sacks one year).
What year did Simon lead the league in sacks? His best season was in 92 with 16 sacks, but he finsihed 4th.

I think Doom was the first Bronco this last year to ever lead the league in sacks.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:23 AM   #22
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Quote:

Little's numbers are impressive, but there is a much more important factor at work. Little was a "pioneer" for Broncos football. It's those types of guys that Canton SHOULD be honoring. The more recent guys will be judged primarily on their numbers. I don't share your optimism that the majority of the others you mentioned will get in...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:41 AM   #23
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'm glad that no other Bronco is going in right now to overshadow Little. This is awesome, and maybe more old time Broncos will start getting the look they deserve. There are plenty that still deserve recognition.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:31 AM   #24
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
It's highly unlikely that Fletcher will ever be a finalist much less inducted. While it was unjust, he never made a single Pro Bowl (despite leading the league in sacks one year). Atwater is probably facing an uphill battle as most safeties do, although he does have the benefit of being a fairly high profile safety during his time in the league (unlike other Denver stars in the past). Rod is also an uphill climb. Voters will appreciate his professionalism and consistency (Peter King has intimated in the past he would vote for Rod), but the fact that it took more accomplished WR's years and years to get their due (Monk, Stallworth etc.) and some still haven't gotten it (Carter) is not a promising sign for Rod. I suspect it will take 5-10 years from the point Rod is first eligible for his name to even be simply brought up in serious discussions on the committee. I'm not really qualified to speak on Gradishar as that was well before my time (although he was in the final 15 a year or two ago). I would say that among the names you listed above, T.D. has the best shot at being enshrined the fastest. You'll note that he's made the semifinals (list of 25) a few years in a row now during his first few years of eligibility, which is a VERY promising sign considering that he's still a young man in his late 30s. It's definitely well within reach for him. I would not be surprised if Davis starts making the final 15 list in the next couple years and gets elected in the next 5-7 years or so.
Agreed on TD. I can totally see him slipping in sometime down the road in a year that doesn't feature many huge names...
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #25
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Shannon will go in next year. As someone said, I think it will make this coming Canton induction even more special that he singular focus for Broncos fans will be Floyd.

Everyone in that HOF voting room knows Sharpe is a Hall of Famer. For some reason, which is not fair, tight ends do not get early-ballot preference. The great John Mackey, who I consider the all-time best tight end, waited 15 years.
The Moops is offline   Reply With Quote