The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default Players expect a lockout, told to save their money

Players expect a lockout, told to save their money
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/05/2010 01:00:00 AM MST
Updated: 02/05/2010 01:15:59 AM MST

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. In a lengthy, well-organized news conference featuring current and former stars, including Barry Sanders, the NFL players union on Thursday said it is expecting a lockout in 2011.

"On the scale of 1 to 10, it's a 14," NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said, answering a question posed by Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco, "working" as a "journalist" at the media center.

Smith also said it will be "virtually impossible" for the league to return to a salary cap structure if the 2010 season is indeed an uncapped year.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will hold his news conference today and undoubtedly address the labor strife from the league's viewpoint.

Union president Kevin Mawae of the Tennessee Titans said the union has been working this year to make sure players are preparing themselves for the possibly of being unemployed after the end of the 2010 season.

That message has carried over to the Broncos, said veteran defensive end Vonnie Holliday, who watched the union's presentation from near the back of the room at the Fort Lauderdale Convention Center.

"I found through the season, guys continued to talk about what's going on. I think ultimately what can hurt us as a union, we're only as strong as every individual player and their ability to sustain during the lockout," Holliday said. "And it starts with saving your money."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/br...#ixzz0efbnuCUS
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

The biggest sticking point is supposedly that the owners are asking that the salary cap be reduced by 18%, but they won't open up their books to prove why.

I never, ever thought that it would get to an uncapped year, but it sure looks like it's going to happen. I think the players are in for quite a shock that it won't be the financial windfall this year that they are expecting. There's probably going to be plenty of franchise tags for the unrestricted guys (I believe each team has 3 tags), and most of the restricted guys are going to be staying put at a bargain price.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

Wow, football is about to suck. Well atleast I have Notre Dame and Nebraska to watch.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
Wow, football is about to suck. Well atleast I have Notre Dame and Nebraska to watch.
and the UFL.....
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
Go Huskers!
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

A strike would be a huge mistake when you have the best thing going in sports.
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

the Owners will bust up the players union again...
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I never thought I would stop following baseball, but all the greed, drugs and strikes killed it for me. Now, my interest is lukewarm, at best. The greedy bastards on both sides of this issue have to understand one thing: If you work at it hard enough, you can kill a fan's interest in the sport. In the old Aesop fable, The Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs, an old farmer and his wife have a goose that lays one golded egg every day. One day, they get greedy and feel that one a day isn't good enough. They aren't getting rich enough, fast enough. So they kill the goose, thinking that its insides must be solid gold and will make them even richer. They find out its just a goose, like any other goose. That's what the idiots in the NFL (both owners and players) are going to find out. You can cut the goose open, but that will be the end of the golden eggs. There's a reason this story has lasted thousands of years.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

We're going to have to play one long assed game of Survivor here that year. Maybe dust off some bingo cards.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
the Owners will bust up the players union again...
The corporate owners initially will have the upper hand b/c the players will run out of money and the fans are stupid enough to go watch games with scab busting players who just want a paycheck and to say they played in the NFL.

In the end should the owners over play their hand the players may take on the attitude of just viewing owner as a necessary evil just to receive a pay check and loath team owners for their entire careers and just not indorse the image of the franchise they play for.

If this happens the over all image of the NFL will suffer even more. Should the players take on the attituded of SCREW management and the owner b/c as players their only there do make money as much money as possible it will alienate the fan base in terms of merchandise. The owners are in it for money and the players are in it for money and the fans fail to realize they are really customers who supports the products that an NFL owner is selling.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

I guess that means we better win the Super Bowl this season. Guys like Dawkins don't stop aging, just because there is no football...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

the owners will make more money not having to pay players salaries while the networks continue to pay.

I've been saying this all along. The players union is ****ed!
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

It's really amazing how ****ing retarded the human race can be. You'd think some unstoppable alien force was preventing us from progress. Its just ****ing GREED. **** us all
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Yawn same **** different day.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
Bronco Yoda

Is that American Needles case still before the SCOTA?

All hell would/will break loose if the NFL get's it's way with that one. I'm talking full scale sports world armegedden. It could turn upside down all the major sports.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

This is not good for the league at a time when people are struggling to make ends meet. The owners and players are gonna be portrayed as spoiled, justifiably so, and we are gonna get the shaft. In the end, the players won't back down from their rediculous salary demands, the owners won't back down from their revenue targets and profit margins, and we will be stuck with higher ticket prices, more expensive access to Direct TV, etc. The one group that does not have a seat at the table are NFL's customers. So it's gonna be higher prices for everything or no football for awhile. Wow, what a choice...
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I guess that means we better win the Super Bowl this season. Guys like Dawkins don't stop aging, just because there is no football...
This could also spell the end of Champ Bailey in Denver as well. Look for Champ to possible return to the team that drafted him and reunite with Shanahan.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #18
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

I wish that in my field of work that we got over 50% of the profit handed over to us. I fully understand the owners point of view on this one.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #19
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
I wish that in my field of work that we got over 50% of the profit handed over to us. I fully understand the owners point of view on this one.
I do to. Too bad it isn't that simple. The Owners are going for it all now. They are going for the kill shot. Which will not only cost the players, coaches & sports junk hawkers...but us the fans as well.

If they win that case and gain total immunity from antitrust litigation and establish "single entity"... oh boy. ****s going to hit the sports fan!
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #20
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

The players are making too damn much money and it keeps getting higher especially with the unproven rookies and the owners are going to take control of it
Old 02-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #21
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Naw the owners win coming and going. Even if owner fails to put a winning product out on the field....THEY STILL GET PAID MILLIONS OF DOLLARS for as long as they own the team, and we are talking for 40-50 years! Should a player become injured or suffer a career ending injury their potentia or opportuninty to earn millions are immediately at risk. Also, at this stage only the players signing bonuses are guaranteed the remainder of their contracts are not. Teams can let the players go at any time.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #22
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
The players are making too damn much money and it keeps getting higher especially with the unproven rookies and the owners are going to take control of it
So when do we have the argumet that the owners are making too much money!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #23
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
So when do we have the argumet that the owners are making too much money!
Doesn't matter they "OWN" the team
Old 02-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #24
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't want to see a lockout but if it happens, it might be for the best. Sometimes I wonder how much time I've lost following football so closely when I really resent everything about those who benefit from my following. I really enjoy the sport though and love to watch it. If I were able to break myself of it, I'd probably count my blessings and never look back.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #25
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Doesn't matter they "OWN" the team
Yes they own the team, but while the owners sit in they're luxury boxes looking down at their subjects perform as entertainment monkey's for their Romanesque Galdiator pleasure, the owners must understand the staduim is full, their franchise value increases b/c of the players!

The fans don't go to the games to cheer while watching NFL royalty sit in there temperature controlled luxury boxes! The fans come to see the PLAYERS PERFORM. Hopefully the owners in their lustful corporate greed don't forget this very important fact.

COMPROMISE FROM BOTH SIDE IS OF THE ORDER.