The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default The Marshall Plan: Bring in unselfish players

The Marshall Plan: Bring in unselfish players

By Jim Armstrong

Itís when, not if.

Itís when Brandon Marshall is traded, not if. Itís not what the Broncos are going to get in return. Itís what Marshallís future area code is going to be.

The issue isnít so much that the Broncos are going to trade Marshall, most likely in March. The real story here is why.

Clearly, Pat Bowlen and Joe Ellis, his right-hand man, had an agenda when they hired Josh McDaniels to replace Mike Shanahan. It wasnít just a matter of Bowlen having grown tired of the Broncosí wretched defense or his concern that the franchise needed a fresh face and a new voice.

No, this was all about changing the attitude in the locker room. It was about running off all the questionable attitudes, the likes of which Bowlen questioned publicly in the latter years of the Shanahan regime. The same questionable attitudes that prompted Rod Smith before his retirement to say the franchise had lost ďthe Bronco way.íí

Unselfishness. Accountability. Those are the traits Bowlen wants in his players. They were traits that defined the Broncosí Super Bowl teams of 1997 and í98, but have been in short supply in recent years.

The trick, of course, is to get talented, difference-making players who are unselfish and accountable. Itís one thing to run off Jay Cutler and Marshall. But how do the Broncos get any better if they canít find similar talents to replace them?

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...lfish-players/
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2010, 04:36 AM   #2
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
The Marshall Plan: Bring in unselfish players

By Jim Armstrong

Unselfishness. Accountability. Those are the traits Bowlen wants in his players. They were traits that defined the Broncosí Super Bowl teams of 1997 and í98, but have been in short supply in recent years.[/url]
I wonder if this Bowlen guy knows what it's like to "Be a Bronco?".
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

He's not going anywhere
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

It would be so incredibly stupid to trade this guy. Yes, he was young. Did he make mistakes, absolutely. So did the head coach. He is a rare talent. Easily in top 3 receivers in the league. We've already lost one franchise player, there's no sense in losing another. We don't have any other player on this team, offensively or defensively, that has the talent and potential that BM does. Heck, he even made Orton look good for a year which is not an easy task at all...
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Oh Jesus Christ.

We are supposed to do this with McDaniels?
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
TheDave
Sauced...

It sounds good, unfortunately it is completely unrealistic.

Every team has selfish troubled players... yes even the patriots.

The idea is to make sure you keep a proper balance of "Good guys" and "Bad guys"... and when your "bad guys" are as talented as Cutler was and Marshal is, you try like hell to find a way to work with them.

Don't get me wrong I understand Marshall is a major headache, but if traded the fact remains we will be less talented than we were, and in the NFL talent trumps all.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
He's not going anywhere
He's long gone and has been since the KC game.

When that date in March arrives, they'll make it official so quick, it'll be done in a matter of minutes.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Did anyone forget that the greatest Bronco to ever live was a selfish player? We went to 5 super bowls and won 2 with a QB who was so selfish he flat out rejected playing for the team that drafted him.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
He's not going anywhere
Domestic violence issues (going), DUI charges (going), Involvement in argument leading to DWills' murder (going), More domestic violence issues (going), Criticizing the fans and city (going), Questionable McD bag injury, err: Tv console attack (going), ****ing off during training sessions (going), Team benching (going), fake hamstring issues and dogging it on the field (GONE).

Carry your Ass BM.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Did anyone forget that the greatest Bronco to ever live was a selfish player? We went to 5 super bowls and won 2 with a QB who was so selfish he flat out rejected playing for the team that drafted him.
There is a big difference between controlling your future when you have options and the mindless **** Marshall has done.

John Elway did what he did because he had a clear vision of his future and wanted to make that happen. Marshall's off field issues and actions during the last pre-season are major indicators of someone who has no such vision and acts rashly time and time again.

Unselfish doesn't mean self sacrificing. Protecting one's own interests is not selfishness. Acting in a rash or reckless manner because the mood strikes regardless of the consequences is selfishness.

I think Marshall has the potential to clean it all up and be the best WR in NFL history. But a great sign that he's starting to get it would be working out a long term deal that gets him paid while still protecting the Broncos, or coming back next season on the RFA tag and showing that he's matured with 16 games of high productivity and zero drama.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #12
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
I'm sure TJ has sent him a memo on it...
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
Gob
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
It sounds good, unfortunately it is completely unrealistic.

Every team has selfish troubled players... yes even the patriots.

The idea is to make sure you keep a proper balance of "Good guys" and "Bad guys"... and when your "bad guys" are as talented as Cutler was and Marshal is, you try like hell to find a way to work with them.

Don't get me wrong I understand Marshall is a major headache, but if traded the fact remains we will be less talented than we were, and in the NFL talent trumps all.
Exactly. One reason why the Pats have been so successful is because they are successful getting headaches to buy into the system and coaching, not because they run off or avoid talented headaches. Seems like by getting Dawkins we were specifically trying to create the same atmosphere with strong player leadership leading the more immature.
Gob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
There is a big difference between controlling your future when you have options and the mindless **** Marshall has done.

John Elway did what he did because he had a clear vision of his future and wanted to make that happen. Marshall's off field issues and actions during the last pre-season are major indicators of someone who has no such vision and acts rashly time and time again.

Unselfish doesn't mean self sacrificing. Protecting one's own interests is not selfishness. Acting in a rash or reckless manner because the mood strikes regardless of the consequences is selfishness.

I think Marshall has the potential to clean it all up and be the best WR in NFL history. But a great sign that he's starting to get it would be working out a long term deal that gets him paid while still protecting the Broncos, or coming back next season on the RFA tag and showing that he's matured with 16 games of high productivity and zero drama.
Elway didn't have any more options than Marshall, they both had the option of not playing and not b****ing or b****ing in an attempt to play elsewhere, the only difference was that Elway's b****ing worked.

Marshall had a clear vision of the future as well, he wanted more money. Elway knew he would get the same money regardless he just wanted another team.

You are absolutely right, which is why Marshall is not selfish, he is protecting his ability to make a living which consists of him not being injured. So the longer he plays a small contract the more he endangers his ability to get a big contract.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #15
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
I'm sure TJ has sent him a memo on it...
And as soon as Bowlen comes out of his 'gutless drunk' stupor, I'm sure he'll read it.

Last edited by DenverBrit; 02-05-2010 at 09:16 AM..
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #16
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosSR View Post
He is a rare talent. Easily in top 3 receivers in the league.
Child please.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #17
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Elway didn't have any more options than Marshall, they both had the option of not playing and not b****ing or b****ing in an attempt to play elsewhere, the only difference was that Elway's b****ing worked.

Marshall had a clear vision of the future as well, he wanted more money. Elway knew he would get the same money regardless he just wanted another team.

You are absolutely right, which is why Marshall is not selfish, he is protecting his ability to make a living which consists of him not being injured. So the longer he plays a small contract the more he endangers his ability to get a big contract.
Why compare Elway's situation with Marshall's?? They have nothing in common...... except the Broncos.

Did John walk around b**** slapping his girlfriends, did the league suspend him? The list goes on.

If BM were "protecting his ability to make a living" he'd be a different person.

His problems are all self inflicted and are detrimental to his ability to make a living.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Bowlen realized that Shanny needed to go. I'm not sure why this is such a shocker to all the McD bashers. Shanny's system was not working anymore and he could never seem to get the defense in line. Aside from actually playing the game, the locker room is where everything either comes together or breaks apart. Shanny's locker room was not united. How can a team when if the locker room is struggling?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #19
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosSR View Post
. He is a rare talent.
I'd rather have a rare talent at QB.

the kind that makes average wr's into pro-bowl receivers.
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #20
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
I'd rather have a rare talent at QB.

the kind that makes average wr's into pro-bowl receivers.
Like in Chicago?
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #21
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

I think we need players that can sing and dance and say "aw shucks" a lot.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #23
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Bowlen realized that Shanny needed to go. I'm not sure why this is such a shocker to all the McD bashers. Shanny's system was not working anymore and he could never seem to get the defense in line. Aside from actually playing the game, the locker room is where everything either comes together or breaks apart. Shanny's locker room was not united. How can a team when if the locker room is struggling?
It started with signing Dale Carter.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #24
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Well I don't know I thought to be a Bronco you had to suit up! Put on a Uni-form and bring it at a high level EVERY SUNDAY. Has Bowlen wore a Bronco Uniform?
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #25
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
McD has caused or inherited the same delilmma! No one wants to admit it but, McD lost the locker room as well. The team quit on him the last game of the season with PLAY OFF implications on the line. Not only did the Broncos get beaten by the lowly KC's....they got they're ass's handed to them as if they couldn't wait for the season to end.....just to get away from Dictator McD!!! It was obvious the 2009 Broncos did not want to go to the playoffs under McD....thats for sure.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote