The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,353
Default Toyota ... O come on ...

I just got done hearing this TERRIBLE 911 audio from a group of 4 who died because of a stuck throttle on the news and it was just insane.

It got me thinking about past recalls and besides the Ford rollover I can't think of one this bad ... I mean come on IT'S THE FING gas peddle , you would think that is something you actually get right before it leaves production.

I so hope they get @$$ pounded by lawsuits.


TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,702

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

cant they put teh car in neutral? sure the engine blows, big deal. guess ive never tried to put a car in neutral mid-throttle.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh
 
Flex Gunmetal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 3,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona
Default

Terrible.
I heard those a-holes wouldn't let a guy return his truck he recently bought. He drove it through the front of the store and claimed his pedal got stuck.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
cant they put teh car in neutral? sure the engine blows, big deal. guess ive never tried to put a car in neutral mid-throttle.
One. They didn't pay for a new car to have to put it in neutral to avoid death.

Two. Like you said you have never tried to put one in neutral and actually it's pretty hard ... I had a floor mat make mine stick on a pontiac once and getting it into neutral wasn't supper easy.

Three. Most don't know to put it in neutral and in the panic even if they did there is a chance they forget ... they didn't pay 30K or whatever to have to manage the cars issues.



I can handle recalls for simple $hit and some stuff sneaks through any test.
BUT on something like a gas peddle,that we have been making now for what 70+ years ? You would think they would get it right...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,702

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
One. They didn't pay for a new car to have to put it in neutral to avoid death.

Two. Like you said you have never tried to put one in neutral and actually it's pretty hard ... I had a floor mat make mine stick on a pontiac once and getting it into neutral wasn't supper easy.

Three. Most don't know to put it in neutral and in the panic even if they did there is a chance they forget ... they didn't pay 30K or whatever to have to manage the cars issues.



I can handle recalls for simple $hit and some stuff sneaks through any test.
BUT on something like a gas peddle,that we have been making now for what 70+ years ? You would think they would get it right...

you act like im defending toyota because they cant get an accelerator right, im clearly not. im talking about this situation where you said 4 people died because it stayed stuck, in this exact case, in order to avoid death is it possible to put a moving car in neutral and just let teh engine blow. if i could stop the car and the brakes woudl not stop it, my first move would be to try and get the car out of gear.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
you act like im defending toyota because they cant get an accelerator right, im clearly not.


Not at all .... I even had put a little add on in my post at first saying I'm not disagreeing with you Tsi , but I removed cause I thought my tone was in no way combative ... I know this is the mane and all but everyone isn't always trying to start a fight.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,615

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

I have a boat that has an emergency kill switch on the throttle, you would think autos would have something to kill the engine.....
Pony Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,828

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Putting an automatic in neutral while the throttle is stuck is as easy as it gets and I perosnally have never seen an engine blow from it.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,828

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Gunmetal View Post
Terrible.
I heard those a-holes wouldn't let a guy return his truck he recently bought. He drove it through the front of the store and claimed his pedal got stuck.
Nice! I love thqat kinda ****...as long as it's not me...or I am in the store.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I have a boat that has an emergency kill switch on the throttle, you would think autos would have something to kill the engine.....
I HAVE THOUGHT THAT FOR YEARS !!!! ....

Why cars don't have kill switches is beyond me.

So easy to add and hide it would be nothing and shocked this Toyota thing hasn't made more people bring this up... Soon as I heard about this stuff I told my GF I have no idea why cars don't have kill switches like bikes and boats because that would make this so much simpler.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,608
Default

it's a terrible tragedy but..

the driver was an off duty cop and the wife called 911, but neither one thought of putting the vehicle in neutral?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
kamakazi_kal
......
 
kamakazi_kal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller
Default

I was reading on MSN yesterday that their have been 20 fatalites in the 20 million cars being recalled. That Ford thing with the SUV tires blowing out killed like 300 or so.

Not saying one is right or wrong but you have a greater chance of being struck by lightning or dying in a plane crash then getting one of these cars.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
kamakazi_kal
......
 
kamakazi_kal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
I HAVE THOUGHT THAT FOR YEARS !!!! ....

Why cars don't have kill switches is beyond me.

So easy to add and hide it would be nothing and shocked this Toyota thing hasn't made more people bring this up... Soon as I heard about this stuff I told my GF I have no idea why cars don't have kill switches like bikes and boats because that would make this so much simpler.
Well I wonder if you kill a car doing 80mph would the engine braking slowdown and loss of power steering cause you to roll lose control or something?

Last edited by kamakazi_kal; 02-04-2010 at 12:57 PM..
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,702

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazi_kal View Post
Well I wonder if you kill a car doing 80mph would the engine braking slowdown and loss of power steering be worse?
it shouldnt kill the whole car, a lot of cars are so fully electronically controlled it may cause an accident. kill power to throttle/ignition/plugs etc anything that actually makes the car move? definitely.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,615

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
I HAVE THOUGHT THAT FOR YEARS !!!! ....

Why cars don't have kill switches is beyond me.

So easy to add and hide it would be nothing and shocked this Toyota thing hasn't made more people bring this up... Soon as I heard about this stuff I told my GF I have no idea why cars don't have kill switches like bikes and boats because that would make this so much simpler.
Probably has something to do with losing your brakes and power steering when the engine is cut off but would be simple to have an emergency switch that powered down to idle speed.
Pony Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #16
kamakazi_kal
......
 
kamakazi_kal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Probably has something to do with losing your brakes and power steering when the engine is cut off but would be simple to have an emergency switch that powered down to idle speed.
Any car that has cruse control has the components in place already.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
it shouldnt kill the whole car, a lot of cars are so fully electronically controlled it may cause an accident. kill power to throttle/ignition/plugs etc anything that actually makes the car move? definitely.
yupyup , you don't have to kill the whole car I don't think , just disengage the things that make it move. Just a throttle disengage would do.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #18
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazi_kal View Post
Any car that has cruse control has the components in place already.
great point.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #19
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer
 
Pontius Pirate's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 'Nam
Posts: 1,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
it's a terrible tragedy but..

the driver was an off duty cop and the wife called 911, but neither one thought of putting the vehicle in neutral?
Maybe there is something in the particular car that prevents it from going into neutral at high speeds? Like when you're going at high speeds most new convertibles prevent you from putting up or taking down the top.
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #20
JJJ
Ring of Famer
 
JJJ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Confederation Helvetica
Posts: 2,956

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I actually had this happen to me a long time ago in high school. There was 7 of us in a big old Ford LTD and the gas pedal broke and got stuck on full throttle on the freeway. I was in back. One guy in front on the floor trying to pull up the gas peddle while the other guy steered and screamed at him while 4 of us were yelling various instructions. It was pure bedlam. The biggest guy was sitting there rocking back and forth mumbling he was going to die.

We got up to around 95 MPH passing people like crazy and driving in the far left margin most of the time with the freeway ending in about a half a mile. The brakes were going and smoking when I finally got some clarity and blurted out "turn off the key". Major backfires but it worked.

We told the drivers dad the long story of our harrowing experience and of course he said we were a bunch of dumbasses and we should have just thrown it in neutral and turned off the key. I went from feeling like a hero to a complete imbical in about 1 second.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #21
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,615

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
yupyup , you don't have to kill the whole car I don't think , just disengage the things that make it move. Just a throttle disengage would do.
Now that's funny, I think the whole idea is throttle is stuck .....
Pony Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #22
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Now that's funny, I think the whole idea is throttle is stuck .....
You can shut something down that is held wide open / stuck open via computer . So
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #23
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,733
Default

They should start putting E-stops/kill switches in their vehicles.

My last car was a 2000 Camry. Looks like I luckily snuck by before the trouble.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #24
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!
 
TailgateNut's Avatar
 
.......as much as tebonites

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mile High
Posts: 19,970

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith
Default

It's called a ****ing emergency brake!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #25
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,615

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
You can shut something down that is held wide open / stuck open via computer
I know ... just messin with ya....
Pony Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Denver Broncos