The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Default OT--Former NBA journeyman Paul Shirley says he's not donating a 'cent' to Haiti

and gets fired from ESPN:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ley_haiti.html

Former NBA journeyman Paul Shirley says he's not donating a 'cent' to Haiti earthquake relief
BY Mitch Lawrence
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Originally Published:Wednesday, January 27th 2010, 11:34 AM
Updated: Wednesday, January 27th 2010, 12:28 PM

NBA players were outraged Wednesday by anti-Haitian statements issued by former league player Paul Shirley.

"I haven't donated a cent to the Haitian relief effort. And I probably will not," said Shirley, who was a seldom-used reserve forward in 2004-05 on Mike D'Antoni's Phoenix Suns team. "I don't think the people of Haiti will do much with my money either.

"... Shouldn't much of the responsibility for the disaster lie with the victims of that disaster?"

Shirley also penned a sarcastic letter of thanks to the Haitian people that read, in part: "Kudos on developing the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Your commitment to human rights, infrastructure and birth control should be applauded."

ESPN Wednesday fired Shirley from his gig as a freelance commentator. The network released a brief statement saying that Shirley's views "do not at all reflect our company's views on the Haiti relief efforts. He will no longer contribute to ESPN."

Shirley's heartless statement stunned Chris Duhon.

"That just speaks about who he is as a person," said the Knicks' point guard. "We've come so far in this world in terms of racism and stereotypes and things like that. And for a guy who has played in the league, to say something like that, that reflects badly on us, as well.

"We're going to let people know that we're not like that," Duhon added. "The NBA is not like that. We do a lot in the communities, especially with our NBA Cares program. This is not just for a public image. It's because guys really want to do it. It's a shame that one guy can kind of tarnish that for you."

Shirley, 32, played at Iowa State and spent one NBA season each with Chicago, Atlanta and Phoenix before heading to Europe. The last NBA team the 6-10 forward tried to catch on with was Minnesota.

D'Antoni seemed surprised by his statements.

"I can't comment because I have no idea the context he said it in," he said. "I just know for us, when we were in Phoenix, Paul was a good guy and an extremely bright person. I remember that he wrote a book and a screenplay and he did some blogs. So I don't know what happened."

Shirley's anti-Haitian stance is in opposition to that of many of his former peers. Almost 50 NBA players have pledged to donate a minimum total of $500,000 to the Clinton Bush Haiti fund. Ten players donated $1,000 per point in games played last Friday, including the Lakers' Pau Gasol, who contributed $20,000 via his 20-point game against the Knicks at the Garden.

The fund-raising effort was announced at halftime, with former president Clinton delivering an emotional talk during a live interview. He detailed what he saw in Haiti during his recent visit to the earthquake-ravaged country.

Among those who chose to donate was the Knicks' Danilo Gallinari.

"I think it's so important for the NBA and for me to do this," Gallinari said. "I live a different life from all the people there. They cannot live the life I'm living. I'm lucky. So I felt I had to help them and that's what I did. I hope that help can really help those people

here's more:

Shirley writes on flipcollective.com why he won’t be joining the millions from around the globe sending money to support the Haitian relief efforts.

“I haven’t donated a cent to the Haitian relief effort. And I probably will not.

“{snip} If I use history as my guide, I don’t think the people of Haiti will do much with my money either.

{snip}

He continued: “Shouldn’t there be some discourse on how the millions of dollars that are being poured into Haiti will be spent? And at least a slight reprimand for the conditions prior to the earthquake? Some kind of inquisition? Something like this?:

Dear Haitians—

First of all, kudos on developing the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Your commitment to human rights, infrastructure, and birth control should be applauded.

As we prepare to assist you in this difficult time, a polite request: If it’s possible, could you not re-build your island home in the image of its predecessor? Could you not resort to the creation of flimsy shanty- and shack-towns? And could some of you maybe use a condom once in a while?

Sincerely,

The Rest of the World

Thanks for speaking up Shirley!!!! The voices of reason always gets silenced.....
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I have to agree with him, even though I disagree with his presentation.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

We have enough problems in the US.

He could've used a little more tact though.

WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Last week called.

It wants its story back.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
We have enough problems in the US.

He could've used a little more tact though.

This
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He can give to an American Organization that doesn't give the money to the Haiti government. Is it the peoples fault they live in crap conditions? A lot of them have never been able to make more than a couple of dollars a day. They can't leave the island because they have no money and places like the US won't let them in anyways. Should they spend their couple dollars a day on condems and forget about eating that week? Maybe they should use a few years salary to see a doctor and get some birth control.

There are a lot in need that are not responsible for those conditions. There are a lot of charities that don't give the money to their government. What a poor argument.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Is it the peoples fault they live in crap conditions?.
Actually yes.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Actually yes.
What exactly is your suggestion to those that make a couple dollars a day? What is it you think they could have done? Maybe save up for about 200 years to afford a real house? You guys are spoiled and have no idea what it is like to grow up without a chance.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

People are hurting desperately and need help. Either help, or shut up and get out of the way. Save your judgment for yourself.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
I have to agree with him, even though I disagree with his presentation.
Same here bro, I think he was a bit over the top but had he used a little more PC type terms, the message would have been received.

I think I have some of the same concerns. When I send money are the ones that really need it going to receive any of it? Are they going to improve the living conditions of several or just those that are "connected"?

Again, I don't agree with his choice of words and I don't think that the concerns we have should prevent us from donating, but they are legit concerns.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
Meck77

I hear ya Ro. I made my donation.

However, if you actually think about it haiti isn't trillions in debt like America is. Our nations net worth is less than Haiti! Who's going to bail us out when **** hits the fan here?
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

If he feels that way, so be it. But he can't broadcast that in that manner. That's just dumb. Way to kill your career.

I haven't donated any money and I'm not planning on it, but I certainly wouldn't blast those people like that. That's just wrong. And it's not because we now live in his PC world, that's wrong period.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
What exactly is your suggestion to those that make a couple dollars a day? What is it you think they could have done? Maybe save up for about 200 years to afford a real house? You guys are spoiled and have no idea what it is like to grow up without a chance.
Their population is 9 million people total. When we give them a billion. Just a billion...do the math per person. Couple of "Dollars". LMAO
Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I made my donation because most of the people of haiti, the vast majority, have nothing to do with Haiti's awful politics and decisions throughout the years. They are innocent victims, but i understand Paul's point. Haiti has done some pretty appalling things, in the way they treat their own. Haiti is connected to the DR and the DR has prospered way more under similar conditions.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Their population is 9 million people total. When we give them a billion. Just a billion...do the math per person. Couple of "Dollars". LMAO
You gave them a billion? This went to an organization that wasn't giving it to their government? Really? That is impressive.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - Hunger turned to anger in Haiti's capital on Wednesday as hundreds of protesters marched through the streets accusing local officials of demanding bribes for donated food.

Aid workers say that food and other supplies are now flowing into the country three weeks after the Jan. 12 quake, but red tape, fear of ambush, transportation bottlenecks and corruption are keeping it from many people who need it.
Hungry protesters jogged along a broad avenue in the Port-au-Prince suburb of Petionville waving branches and chanting, "They stole the rice! They stole the rice!"
One of the protesters, 17-year-old Danka Tanzil, said a local official was demanding a bribe in return for coupons that entitle people to bags of donated food from the U.N. World Food Program. "For us to get the coupon, we must give 50 Haitian dollars (US$7) so we can get the rice," she complained.
People at small protests elsewhere had a simpler message, holding up banners reading, in English: "Help us, We're starving."
The World Food Program began distributing the coupons to bring order to the aid distribution and prevent strong young men from forcing themselves to the front of food lines. Aid officials say it has largely worked, despite scattered reports of abuses.

this is exactly why I didnt and wont help! Also as stated above, whos going to help us if we ever need it? Isnt it funny how most the world likes to talk down on us we are rude self rightgeous, etc etc etc yet we are the first place people turn too.
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #17
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
My edit won't work so I am just putting this in a new post. If that all went to the people, it is 111 dollars. That is if we sent a billion a day. If we send a billion a year, that is 30 cents a day to every person. That is if every dollar goes to the people.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #18
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Compassionate conservatism.

Some people just don't know how lucky they are.
MplsBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #19
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoflcommish View Post
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - Hunger turned to anger in Haiti's capital on Wednesday as hundreds of protesters marched through the streets accusing local officials of demanding bribes for donated food.
Those people should be angry.

I often wonder why the American people don't take to the streets after the debacle of the bailouts. *shrug*

Last edited by Meck77; 02-04-2010 at 09:01 AM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
I often wonder why the American people don't take to the streets after the debacle of the bailouts. *shrug*
It certainly isn't because they can't get off work.

WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #21
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Those people should be angry.

They have been. The media has taken to calling them "tea baggers."
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
They have been. The media has taken to calling them "tea baggers."
Ummm, they call themselves tea baggers. And they are a little insane.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #23
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

well, you can't say things like that when you work for an ESPN/Disney type company...

however, I made a statement like this (not hateful though) a few days ago while out to eat...and got blasted by a bunch of women at the next table...its amazing that even donations and charity can turn into some sort of debate...

honestly, I don't agree with what Haiti is but I don't hate the people there...
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #24
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in McLA View Post
If he feels that way, so be it. But he can't broadcast that in that manner. That's just dumb. Way to kill your career.
Who ever heard of this guy before this incident? Now look at him.

He was a minimum wage blogger for ESPN. A half step above an intern.....if that. Nowhere to go but up from that gig and he just struck gold.

There's no such thing as bad publicity.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #25
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Ummm, they call themselves tea baggers. And they are a little insane.
I tried tea bagging Mrs Bean this morning when she was still asleep. She wasn't amused.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote