The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Hall of Fame debate: If Sayers is in, TD should be a lock

Hall of Fame debate: If Sayers is in, TD should be a lock

By Patrick Saunders
The Denver Post

Updated: 02/01/2010 03:20:02 PM MST

For longtime Broncos fans, Super Bowl Saturday, not Super Bowl Sunday, is what matters most.

Saturday is when Broncomaniacs discover whether or not franchise legend Floyd Little or elite pass-catching tight end Shannon Sharpe enter the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The Denver Post's Mark Kiszla wrote a terrific profile of Little in Sunday's paper. Broncos beat writer Mike Klis blogs that if quarterback Kurt Warner is worthy of the Hall of Fame, then former Broncos running back Terrell Davis is even more deserving.

Here's my take on the T.D. candidacy: If Chicago Bears great Gayle Sayers has a bust in Canton, Davis deserve one too.

Sayers the Kansas Comet was one of the most exciting forces of nature ever unleashed on the NFL. His stats are impressive, too. In seven injury plagued seasons, he rushed for 4,956 yards and 39 rushing touchdowns. He averaged 5.0 yards per carry and 72.9 yards rushing per game. Plus, don't forget that he was an amazing kick returner.

But T.D.'s regular-season rushing numbers actually eclipse Sayers'. In his seven seasons knee injuries also cut short Davis' career T.D. rushed for 7,607 yards and 60 TDs. He averaged 4.6 yards per carry and 97.5 yards per game. Remember, too, that in 1998 he rushed for 2,008 yards and was named league MVP.

But it's Davis' postseason resume that should make him a lock for the Hall of Fame. T.D. is arguably the best playoff running back in NFL history. In eight career playoff games he ran for 1,140 yards rushing on 204 carries and 12 touchdowns, leading the Broncos to back-to-back Super Bowl titles.

During his postseason career, Davis averaged an incredible 143 rushing yards per game. Projected over a full NFL season, Davis' numbers would be: 408 carries, 2,280 yards (5.59 average) and 24 touchdowns.

On the biggest stage, T.D. stole the show.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14310624
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #2
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
In eight career playoff games he ran for 1,140 yards
I never heard that particular stat before. Sweet jesus.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:01 AM   #3
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Hall of Fame debate: If Sayers is in, TD should be a lock

By Patrick Saunders
The Denver Post

Updated: 02/01/2010 03:20:02 PM MST

For longtime Broncos fans, Super Bowl Saturday, not Super Bowl Sunday, is what matters most.

Saturday is when Broncomaniacs discover whether or not franchise legend Floyd Little or elite pass-catching tight end Shannon Sharpe enter the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The Denver Post's Mark Kiszla wrote a terrific profile of Little in Sunday's paper. Broncos beat writer Mike Klis blogs that if quarterback Kurt Warner is worthy of the Hall of Fame, then former Broncos running back Terrell Davis is even more deserving.

Here's my take on the T.D. candidacy: If Chicago Bears great Gayle Sayers has a bust in Canton, Davis deserve one too.

Sayers the Kansas Comet was one of the most exciting forces of nature ever unleashed on the NFL. His stats are impressive, too. In seven injury plagued seasons, he rushed for 4,956 yards and 39 rushing touchdowns. He averaged 5.0 yards per carry and 72.9 yards rushing per game. Plus, don't forget that he was an amazing kick returner.

But T.D.'s regular-season rushing numbers actually eclipse Sayers'. In his seven seasons knee injuries also cut short Davis' career T.D. rushed for 7,607 yards and 60 TDs. He averaged 4.6 yards per carry and 97.5 yards per game. Remember, too, that in 1998 he rushed for 2,008 yards and was named league MVP.

But it's Davis' postseason resume that should make him a lock for the Hall of Fame. T.D. is arguably the best playoff running back in NFL history. In eight career playoff games he ran for 1,140 yards rushing on 204 carries and 12 touchdowns, leading the Broncos to back-to-back Super Bowl titles.

During his postseason career, Davis averaged an incredible 143 rushing yards per game. Projected over a full NFL season, Davis' numbers would be: 408 carries, 2,280 yards (5.59 average) and 24 touchdowns.

On the biggest stage, T.D. stole the show.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14310624
... and that despite losing significant playing time in SB 32 due to the migraine....
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:03 AM   #4
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

I bet that's record.

No wonder we abandoned the ZBS...
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Teams knew we were going to run and still couldn't stop it.

Those playoff numbers say it at. He played his best against the best.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
I bet that's record.

No wonder we abandoned the ZBS...

"ZBS System doesn't win titles"............ who said that, what a tard
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

TD doesn't belong in the hall. He never proved anything without Elway, Shanny, or HOF OL in Zimmerman and Nalen. Also, his playoff record doesn't count since he was on a Super Bowl winning team during that run.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

The HOF isn't good enough for TD.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

For three years, he was the best back in the league.

I knew he wasn't going to be around much longer after his comeback when they beat the Jets in the middle of 2000. He STRUGGLED to break 100 yards that game. Sad, because he used to carry 75 yards in his back pocket.

Even with the rings, I'm not sure if his career merits HOF.

Definitely, the best back the Broncos have ever had.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
TD doesn't belong in the hall. He never proved anything without Elway, Shanny, or HOF OL in Zimmerman and Nalen. Also, his playoff record doesn't count since he was on a Super Bowl winning team during that run.
that is the most retarded logic I have ever seen posted here, sorry.

By that logic, Elway never won A SB without Shanny and TD...so he doesn't belong either right?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

He should be in for his playoff numbers alone.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #12
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Is this serious?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
I can't believe I just read that. That's just dumb. I guess Montana should be taken out the HOF. That dude had everything around him.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

"In eight career playoff games he ran for 1,140 yards rushing on 204 carries and 12 touchdowns"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
That's freakin sick.
Just for funsies I looked up LT's playoffs stats:
8 games, 96 carries for 327 yards (3.4 avg), 4 touchdowns.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
are you for real if so please let me know and if there is any more people silly please help me with my Iggy list.
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #16
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I've been making the argument for a long time that based on TD's resume he should get in. League MVP, Super Bowl MVP, three time All Pro (by his fourth season), and he is the greatest playoff back ever. It's not even close. He has by far the most rushing yards per game. 2nd is Riggins I believe with 111 yards per game. He has the highest average per carry at 5.8. Next is Dickerson with 5.2 yards per carry. In half a season worth of games against the best teams in the league he was on pace to go for over 2,000 yards. That's just insane. I mean, a lot of runners can put up big numbers during the regular season, when they get to play a lot of bad teams. But come playoff time nobody is bad.

I think longevity is important, but it can be overrated. Curtis Martin (who better not get in the HOF over TD) had longevity. But did he come close to accomplishing what TD did? Not even close. You know what longevity really is? A bunch of average seasons after a few great seasons. Think of Emmit Smith, who had longevity. Toss out his rookie year. From '91 to '95 the guy was a beast. 3 seasons over 1,500 yards (nearly 4 seasons, but he held out and went for 1,486), and he had two seasons above 1,700. But from '96 to '04, when he got his longevity and got the yards to break the all time record, he was just above average most of those years. He had two seasons in the 1,300 yard range, which is good, but certainly not HOF great. He had a bunch of seasons in the 1,000 to 1,200 range, which is really just average to above average. So why does a player need a bunch of average to above average seasons to validate the great seasons that he had earlier in his career? That doesn't make sense. If Smith retired after '95 he wouldn't be in the HOF because he wouldn't have a bunch of average to above average seasons? Does that make any sense?

I'm all for longevity, but I'd say that in certain cases it is overrated because longevity for a player can just be him compiling stats. I guess if TD didn't blow out his knees and had a bunch of seasons around 1,100 yards he'd be a shoe in. Yeah, that makes no sense at all.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

TD is my favorite Bronco of all time, so I am biased.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #18
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
He was a post season dominator. The epitome of clutch.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #19
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I love TD but I would put Atwater and Gradishar in before him.

Nalen, Smith and Bailey are locks.........
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post

Nobody who wears the Orange & Blue is a "lock." If there's anything we've learned from the HOF, it's that. Frankly, I'll be surprised if they let Shannon in this time, and he's the best TE of all time.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #21
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

What the writer failed to do, which would have made his argument stronger, is mention that Sayers had no postseason stats. So, as good as he was, he did not impact his team the way that TD impacted the Broncos.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #22
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

lack of respect in media is why he'll never go in even though he should without question.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #23
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Huh? He averaged well over 100 yards per playoff game and was/is the only back in NFL history to do so consecutively.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Seriously...go back to China and ****ing stay there.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #25
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post

Sorry, but no. There is a dirth of viable candidates waiting to get in. I dont see any of those names as locks. I dont see any Broncos - except Sharpe who hopefully gets in this years - as locks.

The arguement of "Sayers is in, therefore TD should be in" doesnt hold a whole lotta water outside of the Rocky Mtn region.

I love TD. I hope he gets in. But in an era where a 12000 yd career isnt an automatic trip to Canton, I dont see TD getting there.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote