The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Ayers admits season didn't go as expected.

I like what the kid is saying. I'm crossing my fingers that he can turn it around next season. If he would somehow turn into a player at the other OLB and we take a kid like McClain in the 1st round. Ouch. What do you think?

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/...go-as-planned/
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I think the people that are talking about guys like Lamar Woodley and Anthony Spencer are probably on the right track. Neither of those guys looked great their rookie years but they have grown and become outstanding OLBs and each showed big jumps after sub-par rookie seasons. Spencer more so than Woodley. If he can bring that type of presence to our defense it will be great. I think he can do it, I just wish he was faster off the snap. Everything about his game is slowed b/c of his tendency to get off the ball slow. Watch his tape in College and he was the same way. He can still be effective, but if he explodes off the snap he'll be a lot better off. Hopefully that will come with time and a greater understanding of his play responsibilities.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

" . . . but I'm just going to get back to what got me here - working hard, being coachable and just getting after it."

Sounds good.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
I think the people that are talking about guys like Lamar Woodley and Anthony Spencer are probably on the right track. Neither of those guys looked great their rookie years but they have grown and become outstanding OLBs and each showed big jumps after sub-par rookie seasons. Spencer more so than Woodley. If he can bring that type of presence to our defense it will be great. I think he can do it, I just wish he was faster off the snap. Everything about his game is slowed b/c of his tendency to get off the ball slow. Watch his tape in College and he was the same way. He can still be effective, but if he explodes off the snap he'll be a lot better off. Hopefully that will come with time and a greater understanding of his play responsibilities.
If he stays at OLB, I think he will play at about 260. That, along with the natural progression in his transition to a totally new position should lead to a greatly improved sophmore season. I fully expect him to be a major contributor on our defense next year.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Yeah, 260 with a little more explosion and quicks would serve him well.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
I like what the kid is saying. I'm crossing my fingers that he can turn it around next season. If he would somehow turn into a player at the other OLB and we take a kid like McClain in the 1st round. Ouch. What do you think?

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/...go-as-planned/
Agreed.

He was a one year starter at TN joins the Broncos and plays a new position on a team with new players and a new scheme.

It's not like he was slotted into a system that was in place and stable with established personnel.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

If we can get a 1st and 3rd for Marshall...we'll be looking good. Then we can perhaps get McClain and Dan Williams in the first...then pick the best guard/center availalble in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Then, if Ayers can turn into a player...we're on our way defensively.

The wild card is Scheffler. I'd love to get a 2nd rounder for him.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
If we can get a 1st and 3rd for Marshall...we'll be looking good. Then we can perhaps get McClain and Dan Williams in the first...then pick the best guard/center availalble in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Then, if Ayers can turn into a player...we're on our way defensively.

The wild card is Scheffler. I'd love to get a 2nd rounder for him.
lucky to get a 5 or 6 for Scheff. His career thus far has him as a backup pass-catching tight end.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think he's going to be fine, but he doesn't look like an explosive athlete at the OLB position, at least in terms of COD skills and all that. He's a straight ahead player who explodes through blockers, but isn't a refined pass rusher and definitely not a guy you can drop in coverage. At least not at this time.

We need to find out what this guy's strengths are, if he can cover, and then make a decision. Personally, i think he's a Demarcus Ware type player in that he only has the ability to run up-field. I would probably bulk him up at play him on the line. That's just me though.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'd like to see more of Dumervil and Ayers on opposite sides. To have a true effective 3-4 defense, you need 2 OLB's that are pass rushing types. Just having one isn't enough, unless you have a DL that is also a pass rusher, but finding a 3-4 type DL that can do that is harder.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I think he's going to be fine, but he doesn't look like an explosive athlete at the OLB position, at least in terms of COD skills and all that. He's a straight ahead player who explodes through blockers, but isn't a refined pass rusher and definitely not a guy you can drop in coverage. At least not at this time.

We need to find out what this guy's strengths are, if he can cover, and then make a decision. Personally, i think he's a Demarcus Ware type player in that he only has the ability to run up-field. I would probably bulk him up at play him on the line. That's just me though.
He'd be a waste as a DL in a 3-4 defense since would need to get to at least 290lbs and doubtful would be much against the run, which a DL in a 3-4 needs to be at the very least.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

I have to admit, Ayers was on my "do not draft" list, I don't like one year wonders. But I put a lot of stock in Senior Bowl performance Mike Mayock's opinion, (and I'm a homer) so I warmed to him soon enough. I definitely like having someone with his size in our linebacking core, and to the people with concerns about his explosiveness, I think he really excelled at that during senior bowl practices, he probably lost some pop due to dropping weight to play OLB here. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do after a full off season of training at his target weight.

Also I find it hard to believe they couldn't find a better picture of him for that article ><
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

The jury is still out on Ayers, but I'm gonna stick my neck out and say he's not gonna be more than an average guy, maybe 5 sacks a year. He obviously didn't have the explosive first couple steps I'd like to see like Elvis had his first year in the NFL. I think he'll be a good average player, but never will be a bigtime sack guy.

I could be wrong, but most of the time if a player is gonna be a bigtime sack guy, you see it right away, unless they're injured.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

At least he has the smarts to know he sucked, maybe he is not entirely useless after all.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I admitted that same thing after about week 1.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #16
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Sacks are one type of effectiveness....stopping the run, tackles for losses and pressure on the QB are just as important.

I love Elvis, but he too....needs to improve. He's a definite weapon, but disapears in games...he needs to learn to play the OLB position better.

If both of these guys can improve this offseason....then, we have something.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #17
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Sacks are one type of effectiveness....stopping the run, tackles for losses and pressure on the QB are just as important.

I love Elvis, but he too....needs to improve. He's a definite weapon, but disapears in games...he needs to learn to play the OLB position better.

If both of these guys can improve this offseason....then, we have something.
And it would be swell if Ayers would do either of those things, but when you look at the games when the run game got gashed, a significant number of huge gains came on cutbacks where Ayers didn't keep the contain.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
And it would be swell if Ayers would do either of those things, but when you look at the games when the run game got gashed, a significant number of huge gains came on cutbacks where Ayers didn't keep the contain.
Yeah, the second half of the Steelers game was ugly.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

when he was drafted it was always talked about that he was a little more raw than a guy like Orakpo, but he has the higher ceiling. in the next few seasons he will undoubtedly be the better of the 2
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:18 PM   #20
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"Used mostly as a reserve during the 2009 season, Ayers finished with just 18 tackles. He didn't have any sacks."

Paging Florida Bronco to tell us that he was bascially a "starter" this year and played "in heavy rotation" amongst the LB's.

But on a serious note, it's nice to see Ayers working on his game, but it's just talk at this point. He needs to step up and produce next year on the field.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #21
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I hate to say it, but Ayers was as lost as I've ever seen for a rookie 1st rounder.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #22
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Was never a fan of Ayers, rose up the boards to quick and was a one-year phenom for the Vols. **** that ****.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #23
extralife
Ring of Famer

This kid showed nothing, had one significant year at college, and doesn't have a true position. If he ever does become something we will be lucky. These are the kinds of guys that almost never pan out--give me a guy that knows and has played high level football in the past. Give me the guy with a position and a body of work.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #24
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Teams that gashed us with the run would usually force us into our nickel where Ayers would play the end in a 4-3 set up. He sucked in the formations but was much better when we lined up in a 3-4 in place of haggan. He doesn't have the size to be a DE in a 4-3 or 3-4. We should put him at OLB and force him to at least learn one position well.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #25
sixtimeseight
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
This kid showed nothing, had one significant year at college, and doesn't have a true position. If he ever does become something we will be lucky. These are the kinds of guys that almost never pan out--give me a guy that knows and has played high level football in the past. Give me the guy with a position and a body of work.
It's cute when fat message board posters pretend they know more about football than NFL scouts.
sixtimeseight is offline   Reply With Quote