The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
OCBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Martindale and the Rex/Rob Ryan Connection

Thought this was interesting. I had forgotten that Martindale had coached under both Rex and Rob. Sounds like he's cut from the same cloth.

Broncos' Martindale, Ryan linked
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. Don Martindale notified the hostess he and his son would be ready for a table, just as soon as his good friend and mentor joined him.
A minute or two later, Rex Ryan stepped up to the Pro Bowl hotel restaurant, ready for lunch. By the looks of them, Martindale and Ryan weren't going to be ordering watercress salads.
Was Ryan, who is now head coach of the defensive-oriented New York Jets, surprised that Martindale was promoted to his first NFL defensive coordinator gig by the Broncos?
"No," Ryan said. "He's not a first-year guy. He's been with the Ryan family forever."
"I've been with the Ryans for about 12 years," Martindale said. "It's that type of mentality, get guys playing hard. Schematically, you don't tip what you're going to do. But mostly, I know our guys are going to play hard, and we're going to be fun to watch."
If the Mannings Archie, Peyton and Eli are the first family of quarterbacks, the Ryans Buddy, Rex and Rob are the most prominent tribe of NFL defenses.
Martindale is part of the Ryan family. He may work directly for Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels now, but much of his defensive coaching education came from the Ryans. Martindale was part of Rex Ryan's defensive staff at the University of Cincinnati in 1996-97 and coached linebackers for Rob Ryan with the Oakland Raiders from 2004-08.
"Wink's going to be great, no question," Ryan said. "I told him he can finish second in the league."
The numbers say Ryan is the best defensive coach around. His Jets ranked No. 1 in total defense this past season, while his previous team, the Baltimore Ravens, ranked No. 2 in 2008.
The Broncos were No. 1 through six games in 2009 with Mike Nolan as defensive coordinator and Martindale as linebackers coach. But the Broncos' defensive performance fell precipitously in the final 10 games.
Showing he already has one vital characteristic of becoming a quality defensive coordinator, Martindale doesn't pretend to know more than anyone else.
"It's hard to pinpoint one thing," said Martindale, who is here at the Pro Bowl as a guest of the prominent linebacker he coached this year, Elvis Dumervil. "If I had all the answers, we wouldn't have had that problem. I think it was the accumulation of things as a team. Just coming together, and staying together and working in unison. We saw that formula works. We saw that in the beginning of the year."
In the 3-4 defensive system, Ryan and Martindale trust. And yes, Martindale knows how to scheme the famed "46" defense devised by Buddy, the Ryan patriarch, in the mid- 1980s with the Chicago Bears.
"Mike used to always give me guff. Every time we'd go into a game, he'd say, 'OK, Rex,' " Martindale said.
Mike Nolan is another common link between Rex Ryan and Martindale. Nolan was the Baltimore Ravens' defensive coordinator until he left in 2005 to become head coach in San Francisco. His job in Baltimore was filled by Ryan.
Nolan returned to Denver and the defensive coordinator position in 2009, until he left two weeks ago to take the same position with the Miami Dolphins. His job with the Broncos was filled by Martindale.
Oftentimes, an awkward strain can develop in a relationship when an underling succeeds his boss. Not so between Nolan and Martindale.
"He called and congratulated me," Martindale said. "I told him I was glad he left so I could take his job."
Martindale smiled. It sounded like something Rex Ryan would say.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14298690
OCBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

well I love the style the ryan's have employed all these years and if martindale can bring that It will be fun to watch!
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Damn! I'll drink to that. Would I love to see a kick ass defense, with that Ryan attitude, in Denver.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Good article.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
DivineLegion
The Surgeon Cometh

Tic' Toc' The Manning Clock

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

"I told him I was glad he left so I could take his job."

lol
DivineLegion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Now we just need to get some front-line talent!
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I love it! The Ryan's D's have always been respectable and some great. Even Rob in Oakland made them decent. I couldn't ask for more, except maybe some top notch D men in the off season.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

lol I'm surprised this hasn't received more posts... but I guess positive posts on the mane don't.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
lol I'm surprised this hasn't received more posts... but I guess positive posts on the mane don't.
You're right, MVP, but that isn't just a McDaniels thing. Nobody believes the good news posts or positive coaches' comments any more because we've heard it all too many times, especially in Shanahan's last four years. Every year it was "We're going to play aggressive defense," "We're turning the dogs loose to just play," or " is looking really good and will take his game (the offense, the defense, the whole team) to the next level." The Broncos were always one player away, just that one missing piece of the puzzle, and every year the coaching staff and sportswriters filled in the blank.

Lenny Walls. Willie Middlebrooks. Darius Watts. Quentin Griffin (that one I really fell for). Courtney whatsisname, the Browncos. Daryl Gardener. Niko Koutouvides. Dale Carter. Even all the way down to Paul Toviessi, who never even got as far as playing in training camp because of injuries in college. Not to mention the revolving door of unsafe-at-any-speed safeties. I think we all just got tired of it: tired, cynical, frustrated, and finally pissed off, to the point that we don't believe it any more.

And that's where Martindale (and McDaniels, by extension) has to prove it on the field.

Last edited by sisterhellfyre; 01-30-2010 at 09:30 PM..
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe

Formerly known as mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Well they have one thing in common - their waistline.
Swedish Extrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Not to mention the revolving door of unsafe-at-any-speed safeties.
O you mean Sam Brandon, Izell Reese, Nick "Train Wreck" Ferguson, Curome Cox and Kennoy Kennedy lol. Yeah but your absolutely 100% right though. I'm tired of horrible drafts. We only had one good draft in about 10 years! It's time for McDaniels, Xavier Sanders (the GM who is not really mentioned on this board), and Martindale to get it right!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #13
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Until we get some real talent on the D line..it won't really matter who the D coordinator is..if we traded up and got Suh some how..i wouldn't be disappointed in the least.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #14
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterhellfyre View Post
You're right, MVP, but that isn't just a McDaniels thing. Nobody believes the good news posts or positive coaches' comments any more because we've heard it all too many times, especially in Shanahan's last four years. Every year it was "We're going to play aggressive defense," "We're turning the dogs loose to just play," or " is looking really good and will take his game (the offense, the defense, the whole team) to the next level." The Broncos were always one player away, just that one missing piece of the puzzle, and every year the coaching staff and sportswriters filled in the blank.

Lenny Walls. Willie Middlebrooks. Darius Watts. Quentin Griffin (that one I really fell for). Courtney whatsisname, the Browncos. Daryl Gardener. Niko Koutouvides. Dale Carter. Even all the way down to Paul Toviessi, who never even got as far as playing in training camp because of injuries in college. Not to mention the revolving door of unsafe-at-any-speed safeties. I think we all just got tired of it: tired, cynical, frustrated, and finally pissed off, to the point that we don't believe it any more.

And that's where Martindale (and McDaniels, by extension) has to prove it on the field.
Excellent post....exactly where I'm at.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #15
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

It's sad this is out only hope to be optimistic, ohhh, we have a link to Rex Ryan!!!! OMFG!!!!!
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote