The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Does Brandon Marshall to the Buccaneers Make Sense for Both Parties?

Does Brandon Marshall to the Buccaneers Make Sense for Both Parties?
by Sayre Bedinger, Written on January 29, 2010

Just going through my routine site check this morning, and as per usual I stumbled upon ESPN's Rumor Central, only to find yet another Brandon Marshall trade destination.

This time it may make some kind of sense.

Though some on this site have already suggested Brandon to the Buccaneers, I think a trade between Denver and Tampa Bay makes a lot of sense on both accounts.

The Buccaneers are poised to lose leading receiver Antonio Bryant as an unrestricted free agent, and they have absolutely nothing behind him on the depth chart to eventually be a replacement. The post over at the Tampa Tribune suggests that:

Although he is a tremendous talent, every NFL team knows Marshall wants out of Denver (and vice-versa), so any team interested in him will not have to give up something significant, like a first-round pick.

However, we all know that to be false. I am not suggesting Denver requires Tampa to surrender the third pick in the draft, as that would be unwise on Denver's part, but the Buccaneers have 10 total picks in the upcoming draft, two of which come in the second round.

If you cannot already see where I'm going with this, here is my trade proposal:

Brandon Marshall to Tampa Bay for two second-round picks (35th, 42nd overall) and a fifth-round pick

This trade makes sense to me on multiple levels. The Buccaneers have to be considered a legitimate landing spot for Marshall because they have 10 draft picks, first and foremost. They also have a huge need at the receiver position.

This trade would not only allow Marshall to return to his beloved state of Florida, but it also gives the Broncos the opportunity to trade him to a far worse situation than he has here in Denver (for whatever that's worth).

Will he get his money? Absolutely, but all joking aside, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are a complete joke as of this moment in time. They do have a quarterback of the future they really like in Josh Freeman, and he needs some bigger targets being that he is a bigger quarterback.

This trade makes sense for the Broncos because they get rid of a headache, and they would have a lot more flexibility in free agency (the Denver Post reports the Broncos want this deal done shortly after the March 5 free agency start) and the draft.

As many of you know, I've officially jumped on the Tim Tebow train, and while I feel the Broncos should take him while they can get him, I don't rule out the possibility of him being there later when they pick. I simply view Tebow's intangibles as too valuable to let sneak out of the first round, but I will never say never.

If Denver is facing a guy like Rolando McClain, Dez Bryant, or Sam Bradford in the first round, I would absolutely promote going after one. In fact, my final draft board will most definitely have those guys rated higher than Tebow, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't get him later if we can.

If all three of those players are unavailable, there is one player and one player alone I would be understanding of the Broncos taking over Tebow in the first round, and that is guard Mike Iupati of Idaho. Iupati has been one of the more impressive players at the Senior Bowl practices, and many on this site already wanted him before that.

If Denver makes this Marshall trade, they will be far more equipped and prepared for the 2010 draft, which is being considered one of the best of all time. They would hold the 10th/11th, 35th, 42nd/44th, and 45th picks in the first two rounds.

Four picks in the top 45 would go a long way to improving this team for the better in the long run. If Denver didn't go after Tebow in the first round, I could see a quartet of picks on the first two days of the draft as follows:

1. Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

2. Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida

3. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida (oddly enough, ranked 42nd on CBSSports.com's NFL Draft player rankings)

4. Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois

Either way, I feel it is important that the Broncos do make a quick decision on Marshall, and adding two more second-round picks would be an ideal way for the Broncos to move on.

----------------------
Excellent article, IMO. Didn't see it posted anywhere.
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'd get irate if we drafted tebow.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

1. It's from the Bleacher Report. Nothing else needs to be said.

2. He is actually advocating for Tebow as a possibility, no matter how slim, at Denver's 1st pick.

3. This is the same guy at The Bleacher Report who had an Interwebz special 13-pick draft after about 8 trades and the completely unrealistic Marshall trade scenarios from Monday.

4. Seriously, he writes at the Bleacher Report.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I definately don't want Tebow, but if we end up with 2 seconds and fifth, I'd be elated.
Plus, I can't think of any other trade partner at this point
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

No. Not trading a Pro Bowl WR makes the most sense to me...
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by boppool View Post
In 10 seconds I thought of:
Baltimore
Cleveland
NYJ
Seattle
Washington
Miami
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boppool View Post
I definately don't want Tebow, but if we end up with 2 seconds and fifth, I'd be elated.
I wouldnt be elated. I'd want a player in that scenario too. Bronco fans really underestimate Marshall's worth.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
yerner
Ring of Famer

Other than Tebow, I suppose this would be the best we could do. Throw in Rob Gronkowski in that pick and I'd be as happy as could be even though I hate trading Marshall.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

If I were Tampa, I'd never do that trade. If Brandon can't keep his nose clean in Denver, what the hell is he going to be like back in Florida?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

This guy is a tool.

How often do Tampa Bay spend big money on players? So how does it make sense for them to go after a WR who is going to be at least 8 mill a year.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
This guy is a tool.

How often do Tampa Bay spend big money on players? So how does it make sense for them to go after a WR who is going to be at least 8 mill a year.
They did pay a bunch to Antonio Bryant last year. Didn't they franchise him at something ridiculous? I think it was quite a bit more than 8 million. I could be wrong.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

What is all that talk about Tebow? Made me throw up a little in my mouth.

I wouldn't mind getting their 3rd pick for possibly McCoy. While Bowlen may not want to spend the money, a player that vastly improves your team puts people in the seats and increases his revenue. After that, some picks would be great and/or give us Barrett Ruud. I'd be thrilled.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

If Marshall is traded it will be to Baltimore, makes more sense than Tampa. Baltimore has made it known that they want an upgrade at their No. 1 receiver spot and they have would be willing to give up more than any other team.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
yerner
Ring of Famer

I think 2 2nd rounders is more appealing than a late round 1st from Baltimore. Not sure how much more the Ravens would want to give.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
If Marshall is traded it will be to Baltimore, makes more sense than Tampa. Baltimore has made it known that they want an upgrade at their No. 1 receiver spot and they have would be willing to give up more than any other team.
You sure? I've always read that Ozzie Newsome is rather reluctant to give up any high round picks.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
They did pay a bunch to Antonio Bryant last year. Didn't they franchise him at something ridiculous? I think it was quite a bit more than 8 million. I could be wrong.
They franchised him, I think at about 7.8 million. That is a lot less than a 20 million signing bonus though.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I would take Ruud straight up for Marshall.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #18
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
They franchised him, I think at about 7.8 million. That is a lot less than a 20 million signing bonus though.
It was 9.9 million. I actually think this might be possible if the Glazers aren't broke yet.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

if we took Tebow in the first I would be forced to write a stern letter and probably shout angry things

Taking Tebow later? Sure, why not.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #20
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I would take Ruud straight up for Marshall.
Good call. I would take that in a second.

I really don't want to see him traded unless we get a great young player in return. Screw unknown draft picks that will usually have to take some years to develope even if they are good. How does that help the team now? Our big problem is we lack talent. Trading Marshall for picks makes that a bigger problem. With the way McD drafts, these picks won't develope and help us win until after he is fired(or nit re-signed) anyways. It was proven last year that his great scheme is worthless without talent.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Tebow didn't look good at the senior bowl practices. That's not a good sign. I doubt Tebow makes it far onto Broncos radar.

I really think Orton gets another yr, Brandstater another yr being taught, they try and fix interior oline, figure out what to do with Marshall. Work tons with Moreno and Royal to get them going more. Make some moves at TE. IMO Graham won't be getting that type of money forever, and Scheffler is gone.

With all the work to be done in Denver makes you wonder if they really want to think young QB taken in first 4 rounds of draft.

IMO Broncos will be looking to transform the team again, but not at QB. Now I could see Simms being ditched for some vet retread etc etc.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Good call. I would take that in a second.

I really don't want to see him traded unless we get a great young player in return. Screw unknown draft picks that will usually have to take some years to develope even if they are good. How does that help the team now? Our big problem is we lack talent. Trading Marshall for picks makes that a bigger problem. With the way McD drafts, these picks won't develope and help us win until after he is fired(or nit re-signed) anyways. It was proven last year that his great scheme is worthless without talent.
Mcdaniels had one draft and the players showed flashes they could be good players. It humors me when people just say Mcdaniels can't draft trading for picks is stupid. Listen to what your saying and ask who is the one being stupid.

Draft is the best way to build. You miss some yrs, hit others, get unlucky here, lucky there etc etc. There are a lot of good players in the NFL who had poor first seasons and went on to be good players. Probably just as many who had great first seasons then went on to be avg.

The point of the extra picks is to use them to build teams from the bottom up. You replace smaller players with bigger more physical players who fit the new system.

Besides Broncos may want to spend money if FA, and then have 3-4 lower picks for Marshall they can use to fill out the team. We always want to say it's Portis for Bailey who won the trade etc. But really making moves frees you up to make other moves. So they ripple through the roster and IMO fans don't think big when it comes to the overall makeup of the team. They just look for the flash.

Broncos need interior olineman so they can establish the run game. Broncos need more size inside on defense. Broncos need a more athletic Dend to make it even tougher to block the outisde pass rushers. With a bunch of extra picks you can hope to maybe find some players who at some point help you in those areas. Throw in a few FA that can help quicker and the team could easily be stronger next yr on offense even without Marshall. It sucks things aren't working out with him, but by now we should all be used to it.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #23
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
I'd get irate if we drafted tebow.
Yep! Tebow would be to focused with political abortion agenda with Focus on the Family, and he'll need to focus on learning how to be an NFL QB b/c his throwing mechanics are just atrocious.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #24
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
I think 2 2nd rounders is more appealing than a late round 1st from Baltimore. Not sure how much more the Ravens would want to give.
I totally agree here. While I would like to keep Marshall, two 2nd rounders in the top half of the second round, plus a fifth would be a pretty good package and better than the 1st and 3rd. There is so much talent in this draft, and the more picks we get in the top 50, the quicker we will return to contention.

At the top of the second we might be able to grab Iupati or the top OG available, as well as the top 3-4 rush linebacker or DE, or another talent who has fallen.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #25
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Mcdaniels had one draft and the players showed flashes they could be good players. It humors me when people just say Mcdaniels can't draft trading for picks is stupid. Listen to what your saying and ask who is the one being stupid.

You replace smaller players with bigger more physical players who fit the new system.

When did I say he can't draft? Trading for picks is stupid.

You want to trade Marshall to get bigger? Riiiiiight.

Last edited by jhns; 01-29-2010 at 03:17 PM..
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote