The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer
 
supermanhr9's Avatar
 
"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Back in DENVER BABY!!
Posts: 1,210

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody
Default Maybe good idea we didn't take Rey Rey

http://deadspin.com/5459668/rey-maua...eason-with-dui

He was with an 18 year old and an underage lady, silly cops messed up what was probably gonna be a fun nigth for Rey Rey.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far Alphonso Smith hasn't caused any trouble?

Just sayin
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh
 
Flex Gunmetal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 3,074

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona
Default

Poor guy had to get drafted by the bengals. Nature vs Nurture. lol
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

So instead of good players, we want guys who "don't cause any trouble" but also get beaten out by past-their-prime players like Ty Law?

Interesting development.

Last edited by RhymesayersDU; 01-29-2010 at 10:21 AM..
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 7,394
Default

"Driving a 2003 Sunfire!"

WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh
 
Flex Gunmetal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 3,074

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
So instead of good players, we want guys who "don't cause any trouble" but also get beaten out by past-their-prime players like Ty Lawson?

Interesting development.
I believe you may have your Denver-area professional athletes named Ty mixed up.
"Ty 'I'm the law,' Son"
-Scott "How did I land this job?" Hastings.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
RaiderH8r
In The Bag
 
RaiderH8r's Avatar
 
Bring back the tapenade!

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Meth Alley
Posts: 10,640

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
So instead of good players, we want guys who "don't cause any trouble" but also get beaten out by past-their-prime players like Ty Lawson?

Interesting development.
The Ghost of Ty Law's Career is a dominant force in the Denver Parks and Recreation Flag Football League. Absolutely. Dominant.
RaiderH8r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Gunmetal View Post
I believe you may have your Denver-area professional athletes named Ty mixed up.
"Ty 'I'm the law,' Son"
-Scott "How did I land this job?" Hastings.
HAH, I'm retarded. I know I did that a couple times during the season, too.

Sorry Mr. Lawson!
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh
 
Flex Gunmetal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 3,074

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
HAH, I'm retarded. I know I did that a couple times during the season, too.

Sorry Mr. Lawson!
Lol it's all good.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer
 
supermanhr9's Avatar
 
"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Back in DENVER BABY!!
Posts: 1,210

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
So instead of good players, we want guys who "don't cause any trouble" but also get beaten out by past-their-prime players like Ty Law?

Interesting development.

Not sure if you know this, but I was one of the biggest supporters of drafting Rey Rey.

However I was just throwing it out there that yes, I would rather take a player who openly admitted to his teammates, fans and the media that the game overwhelmed him this year and will make sure it doesn't happen again, rather than a player who is spending his off season drinking under the influence with an 18 year old and a minor.

BMarsh had enough character issues for the Denver franchise for years to come.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
RaiderH8r
In The Bag
 
RaiderH8r's Avatar
 
Bring back the tapenade!

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Meth Alley
Posts: 10,640

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
Not sure if you know this, but I was one of the biggest supporters of drafting Rey Rey.

However I was just throwing it out there that yes, I would rather take a player who openly admitted to his teammates, fans and the media that the game overwhelmed him this year and will make sure it doesn't happen again, rather than a player who is spending his off season drinking under the influence with an 18 year old and a minor.

BMarsh had enough character issues for the Denver franchise for years to come.
Somewhere in the "good guy" sphere I'd like for the player to have some ability to actually play NFL football. I'm a good guy, whoopty ****...unless McKid wants to pay me to be a good guy for the Broncos. I can do that...for relatively little $.
RaiderH8r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 8,254

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
Somewhere in the "good guy" sphere I'd like for the player to have some ability to actually play NFL football. I'm a good guy, whoopty ****...unless McKid wants to pay me to be a good guy for the Broncos. I can do that...for relatively little $.
You know it's not either/or right? I mean, you can find players who aren't complete douches yet are highly competent.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer
 
supermanhr9's Avatar
 
"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Back in DENVER BABY!!
Posts: 1,210

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
Somewhere in the "good guy" sphere I'd like for the player to have some ability to actually play NFL football. I'm a good guy, whoopty ****...unless McKid wants to pay me to be a good guy for the Broncos. I can do that...for relatively little $.
Who says Alphonso Smith has no ability? Because he didn't start this year or dominate his rookie season you're writing him off? You got to be kidding me. Firstly, he had the opportunity to learn behind Champ, Goodman, and Ty Law all year instead of being forced into a situation that he wasn't ready for. I thin it takes great maturity to do what he did, and openly admit he wasn't ready. In fact I remember Dawkins and Champ commenting on that very same topic.

Now if you're gonna be part of that group that's pissed off we let MoFo go and kept Alphonso, then you'll never be happy. But I seem to remember MoFo getting burned quite frequently, and the only thing he ever did for our team was give us a cool nickname to call him by.

Don't close the book after a rookie campaign where he got to watch/learn behind 2 legend CB's, 1 very good CB, and was mentored by one of the great safeties of all time.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 7,394
Default

I'd still much rather have Rey Rey.

Wasn't Fonzie drafted to do some returning as well to let Royal concentrate on receiving?

That makes that trade even MORE assinine.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

Luckily for Cinci "Rey Rey" isn't costing them the 14th pick in the draft this year.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
RaiderH8r
In The Bag
 
RaiderH8r's Avatar
 
Bring back the tapenade!

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Meth Alley
Posts: 10,640

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
Who says Alphonso Smith has no ability? Because he didn't start this year or dominate his rookie season you're writing him off? You got to be kidding me. Firstly, he had the opportunity to learn behind Champ, Goodman, and Ty Law all year instead of being forced into a situation that he wasn't ready for. I thin it takes great maturity to do what he did, and openly admit he wasn't ready. In fact I remember Dawkins and Champ commenting on that very same topic.

Now if you're gonna be part of that group that's pissed off we let MoFo go and kept Alphonso, then you'll never be happy. But I seem to remember MoFo getting burned quite frequently, and the only thing he ever did for our team was give us a cool nickname to call him by.

Don't close the book after a rookie campaign where he got to watch/learn behind 2 legend CB's, 1 very good CB, and was mentored by one of the great safeties of all time.
For the price paid, yeah, I expect him to be able to get on the field in nickel situations..at least. The Ghost of Ty Law's Career (GoTLC) was brought in after it became clear that Fonzi couldn't cover my grandma's douchebag in a telephone booth let alone NFL receivers. He'll be a journeyman at best.

I'm not pissed we let MF go, I'm pissed we gave up a top 15 pick to get a guy who couldn't get on the field in front of the GoTLC. He should be a contributor at the very least.
RaiderH8r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #16
RaiderH8r
In The Bag
 
RaiderH8r's Avatar
 
Bring back the tapenade!

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Meth Alley
Posts: 10,640

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Luckily for Cinci "Rey Rey" isn't costing them the 14th pick in the draft this year.
This is much better than what I said.
RaiderH8r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #17
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,880
Default

Smith could be good. He could also continue to look slow, not very agile, and incompetent in coverage even while he is supposed to be improving. Time will tell.

It will be interesting to see the names that we COULD have had had we not traded him, though. Also, when Brandon Marshall (who despite being somewhat of an ego-maniac has never really hurt the team) gets let go for a 1st and a 3rd, it will be interesting to ponder what spot we could have traded up to with three 1st round picks, a 2nd, and two 3rds.

At some point, you just want McDaniels to make a move in which everyone can say, "Good, finally, thank you." Dawkins was a move like that. Probably the only one.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #18
RaiderH8r
In The Bag
 
RaiderH8r's Avatar
 
Bring back the tapenade!

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Meth Alley
Posts: 10,640

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McChamp View Post
Smith could be good. He could also continue to look slow, not very agile, and incompetent in coverage even while he is supposed to be improving. Time will tell.

It will be interesting to see the names that we COULD have had had we not traded him, though. Also, when Brandon Marshall (who despite being somewhat of an ego-maniac has never really hurt the team) gets let go for a 1st and a 3rd, it will be interesting to ponder what spot we could have traded up to with three 1st round picks, a 2nd, and two 3rds.

At some point, you just want McDaniels to make a move in which everyone can say, "Good, finally, thank you." Dawkins was a move like that. Probably the only one.
The first Nolan move was like that for me. I thought it was a sound decision to bring in a respected guy like that with a good track record of respect, pedigree, and defenses who also had some background in Bronco football.

The second Nolan move only served to fuel my fears that McKid is in way over his head.
RaiderH8r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #19
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 7,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McChamp View Post
At some point, you just want McDaniels to make a move in which everyone can say, "Good, finally, thank you." Dawkins was a move like that. Probably the only one.
Hill, Goodman, and Holliday to a lesser extent were also decent moves.

The thing with Smith was when he was on the field, something bad seemed to happen. (i.e. Ravens, @Cheaps, Colts games)

I would've preferred to have that other first rounder this year.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #20
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Hill, Goodman, and Holliday to a lesser extent were also decent moves.

The thing with Smith was when he was on the field, something bad seemed to happen. (i.e. Ravens, @Cheaps, Colts games)

I would've preferred to have that other first rounder this year.
Goodman really impressed me. I had no idea he could play like that. This team was very good in FA last season. The trades and draft are a different story. I get that it takes time for picks to develope but you should see much more impact than we did when you spend 3 firsts and 2 seconds. The only reason this worries me is free agency will be lacking this year, and probably next year as well. We will need to do a much better job drafting.

I don't care what anyone says. You can't defend the Smith trade. That is a "win now" move and we didn't win. He didn't even have any positive impact. We showed we are a rebuilding team. You NEVER trade future firsts when you are rebuilding. I don't get why McDaniels or anyone here ever thought that was a good move.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
He was with an 18 year old and an underage lady, silly cops messed up what was probably gonna be a fun nigth for Rey Rey.
Probably just driving them home after a nice low-key party in Leinart's hot tub.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #22
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer
 
Peoples Champ's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
For the price paid, yeah, I expect him to be able to get on the field in nickel situations..at least. The Ghost of Ty Law's Career (GoTLC) was brought in after it became clear that Fonzi couldn't cover my grandma's douchebag in a telephone booth let alone NFL receivers. He'll be a journeyman at best.

I'm not pissed we let MF go, I'm pissed we gave up a top 15 pick to get a guy who couldn't get on the field in front of the GoTLC. He should be a contributor at the very least.

Ya but you still gotta give him another year to show himself. Some teams trade up in the first 10 picks in the first round for a guy that needs a year or two to develop. Especially QB's , and dont say its because its a different position.
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #23
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples Champ View Post
Ya but you still gotta give him another year to show himself. Some teams trade up in the first 10 picks in the first round for a guy that needs a year or two to develop. Especially QB's , and dont say its because its a different position.
Do you have an example of a team that traded into the top 10 for a guy that didn't play and contribute the first year? Better yet, how about a relevant example of a team trading a future first for a guy that didn't contribute.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #24
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer
 
Peoples Champ's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Do you have an example of a team that traded into the top 10 for a guy that didn't play and contribute the first year? Better yet, how about a relevant example of a team trading a future first for a guy that didn't contribute.

yes, I will give you a recent one. Darrel "Revis Island" They traded up in the first round and he took more then 1 year to develop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nfl_draft_2007

There are a ton on here if you look at every year.


Falcons traded up for Michael Vick, he took a few years to develop. There are many at every position
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #25
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer
 
Peoples Champ's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Do you have an example of a team that traded into the top 10 for a guy that didn't play and contribute the first year? Better yet, how about a relevant example of a team trading a future first for a guy that didn't contribute.

baltimore in 2006 traded up to get Ngata, he took a few years to become a stud like he is now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_nfl_draft
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:35 PM.


Denver Broncos