The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Can Kyle Orton take his Game to Another Level?

Can Kyle Orton take his Game to Another Level? I believe he can!

What are my suggestions? Simple, if Orton is going to be the Broncos QB over the next two seasons or longer here's is what needs to happen.

Starting with this offseason after the SB and Pro Bowl Orton and his merry band of WR's need to stay in FLA. and assemble together and work out together especially with Royal. Orton needs to work on his confidence, his foot work and his timing with his WR's. The Broncos WR's (especially 2nd year receivers) need to run routes and get in sync with Orton until they have nightmares in their sleep! Orton and his Receivers need to study game tape until they are cross-eyed.

Speaking of Ortons foot work.....he needs to do agility work outs with ankle weights on (at least 10lbs) and a 5lb wrist weight on his throwing arm. He needs to practice rapid drop back plays wearing ankle weights with his receivers running slant patterns and deep routes and Orton working on connecting and throwing the ball accurately.

Orton also needs agility drills (while wearing ankle weights) that include moving around in the pocket to buy more time against the pass rush, with his WR's running slant patterns and Kyle simple needs to throw and complete passes accurately.

Orton while wearing those 10lb ankle weights needs to simmulate dropping back to pass and pull the ball down and run for 5 or 10 yards to simmulate running for a 1st down.

Orton needs to run series of 20-30yd sprints on the balls of his feet while wearing 10 lb ankle weights to work on his speed.

After having trained wearing ankle weights during the off season by the time training camp starts Orton will be remarkable faster in the pocket and running 5-10 yards, which should help him extend plays.

Finally, Orton needs to work on arm strength! I would suggest Orton invest in 5lb wrist weights and wear them in the off season during passing drills.

These small additions will add strength with his throwing b/c the weights will help strengthen his wrist and shoulder. He takes the wrist weights off and the football will feel lighter thus enhancing his arm strength.

Lets discuss.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

well that would be great but I belive he is drinking jack and chasing p***Y..
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I hope he does work extra this offseason with some receivers. Cutler did. Marshall did it. Sheffler did it. Everyone wants to worship Orton for being such a team player, unlike the guys I just listed. Well, let's see him show at least the same dedication as all the selfish, hate the team, guys that everyone hates on.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
TheDave
Sauced...

He is what he is... What we need to do is improve the team around him.

Unfortunately the change in scheme will require a rebuild of the offensive line (especially the interior). It also looks like we will have to deal with the loss of BMarsh. Assuming we can improve our line, especially run blocking and replace Marshall... Orton should be good enough to get us into the playoffs.

After that, who knows...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Orton can do it I still like him . He does need to learn more of the system I want him a josh to work .

I was kind of joking above..
Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
He is what he is... What we need to do is improve the team around him.

Unfortunately the change in scheme will require a rebuild of the offensive line (especially the interior). It also looks like we will have to deal with the loss of BMarsh. Assuming we can improve our line, especially run blocking and replace Marshall... Orton should be good enough to get us into the playoffs.

After that, who knows...
not true he had no clue were to go when his 2nd option was coveredand you could see he got lost quickly and gave up on plays.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
not true he had no clue were to go when his 2nd option was coveredand you could see he got lost quickly and gave up on plays.
How is it that people can tell how many reads a QB goes through by watching the crappy sideline POV that the networks provide?

At the very least, I think the issues with multiple reads is exagerated... but in any event that should improve somewhat with more experience in the system.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

I think your wrist weights idea is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Sure, get out there and sling the ball around with a 5lb weight attached to your wrist! It will do wonders for your shoulder and elbow! You act like the dude has a weak arm. He doesn't. His accuracy on deep balls needs to improve sure, but his arm is fine. His mobility is a liability I agree 100%
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
How is it that people can tell how many reads a QB goes through by watching the crappy sideline POV that the networks provide?

At the very least, I think the issues with multiple reads is exagerated... but in any event that should improve somewhat with more experience in the system.
that is the point . I think Orton can get way better . and a QB does not know a entire offense until about year 4 . Most people think that is knowing the paper work but really that is knowing were all the players are at all times. but IMO it is a hell of a lot more than somewhat.

If Orton is not signed rather quickly I am going to go with that broncos are not happy with him and are going to go Else were .

people don't get what 4 years in the same system will do for you look at Cassel really just a good QB that is rather raw but he knew NE's system inside and out . knowing were ever player on the field is and knowing the system inside and out is how you get way better .
Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I don't think Kyle Orton can take his game to the next level.

He may show some subtle improvements next year, as he will be more comfortable in the offense....but he will always be a QB that will need a superior supporting cast to carry him and his average NFL talent.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 01-29-2010 at 08:38 AM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
I hope he does work extra this offseason with some receivers. Cutler did. Marshall did it. Sheffler did it. Everyone wants to worship Orton for being such a team player, unlike the guys I just listed. Well, let's see him show at least the same dedication as all the selfish, hate the team, guys that everyone hates on.
Kyle Orton is probably throwing out routes to Jack Daniels right now and working on the route tree with Jimmy Beam several times a week.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #12
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I don't think Kyle Orton can take his game to the next level.

He may show some subtle improvements next year, as he will be more comfortable in the offense....but he will always be a QB that will need a superior supporting cast to carry him and his average NFL talent base.
SSJ the good thing is we will know rather shortly if the broncos plan on Orton being a Bronco because he is no were near being polished so if for some reason he is not signed quickly...
Old 01-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
that is the point . I think Orton can get way better . and a QB does not know a entire offense until about year 4 . Most people think that is knowing the paper work but really that is knowing were all the players are at all times. but IMO it is a hell of a lot more than somewhat.

If Orton is not signed rather quickly I am going to go with that broncos are not happy with him and are going to go Else were .

people don't get what 4 years in the same system will do for you look at Cassel really just a good QB that is rather raw but he knew NE's system inside and out . knowing were ever player on the field is and knowing the system inside and out is how you get way better .
Unfortunately, I think his complete lack of athleticism is always going to be a major hinderance to his game. No matter how good the offense is or how many options he has plays break down and it will be up to him to make a play.

I don't think he can do that consistantly.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

what happens when he tears his rotator cuff and acl because he is a walking weight machine?
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #15
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Yes.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #16
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think his complete lack of athleticism is always going to be a major hinderance to his game. No matter how good the offense is or how many options he has plays break down and it will be up to him to make a play.

I do agree with you he will still need to make the play so I will tell you this it is with smarts this system is built on . so maybe this system is won with smart QBs and not brawn .

this year Orton was reeled in early because he was just heaving up footballs to what looked open WR not really knowing were the D was set up and hoping for the best. well yes you throw those plays but we just stopped. there was a reason we reeled him in and went with safe plays until Orton could be taught in the off season to know were all the coverage is and to know when to take those shots .
Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #17
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:

Brady was as raw as it gets his first few years he was gangly and looked bad but he worked hard and worked with in himself. He has gotten better now but there was a time he looked like a total sissy.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #18
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

He needs to save his arm.

That old rag only has so many throws in it.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #19
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Brady was as raw as it gets his first few years he was gangly and looked bad but he worked hard and worked with in himself. He has gotten better now but there was a time he looked like a total sissy.
True but we need to be REAL careful with the Brady/Orton comparisons... Brady is a freakishly accurate QB both long and short. Additionally, though he also lacks athleticism he is similar to Marino in his ability of move in the pocket.

Orton has very poor accuracy with the long ball and his ability to move in the pocket is embarrassing so far.

Can Orton improve these... sure. But he has a long ways to go to be average in either area.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #20
DrFate
Lord of Order

Can someone point me to the magic formula that suddenly improves a quarterback going into his sixth year?

Thanks
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #21
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
Can someone point me to the magic formula that suddenly improves a quarterback going into his sixth year?

Thanks
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #22
DrFate
Lord of Order

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Nicely done, Junkman.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #23
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post

Thanks
not being coached by the Bears

There is a reason they dont have pro bowl qbs.....ever
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #24
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Can he get better?
yes

He isnt all that athletic, but neither is tom Brady
He just needs to get more familiar with the offense, assuming Josh's system will work in the long haul

The offensive line is the weakest part of the offense right now
Our running game was atrocious
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #25
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I can tell you from watching Orton at Invesco that his biggest problem, IMO, isn't his arm or his athleticism. Is he top of the league? No, but good enough to win. His biggest problem was staring down his WRs and I can hope that will improve with time spent in the system. By the end of the season, with Orton on a bum ankle mind you, teams knew the Broncos OL sucked @$$ and they couldn't run the ball. I noticed the Raiders and Chiefs were stopping the run easily with just 7, sometimes 6, guys in the box as Moreno and Buckhalter were often being hit behind or at the LOS. If we cam improve that area that will instantly help Orton because by the end of the season we were trying to win by playing "sling it" with a guy not suited to do that. With another year in the system and an improved run game, I think Orton will suprise people. Franchise QB? No, but then again I see less than a handful of those guys in the entire league.

Last edited by montrose; 01-29-2010 at 11:17 AM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote