The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Saints out to hit Manning... whatever the cost

"This guy's got a great clock in his head," Williams told 104.5 The Zone, via ESPN.com. "The big thing is that he throws the ball so early that we're going to have to do a good job of finding ways to get to him and when we do get to him we're going to have to make sure he gets a couple 'remember me' shots when we get there."

The Saints applied several "remember me" shots to Favre on Sunday, prompting many a Vikings fan to utter a phrase that for broadcast television purposes would be edited to sound like "forget you." One such hit to Favre's legs didn't draw a flag, even though NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira admitted last night that a roughing the passer penalty should have been called.

And Williams won't be reeling in his troops for the Super Bowl. Instead, it sounds like he's willing to risk a few 15-yard walk-offs if it means that Manning eventually will be carted off the field.

"When you put too much of that type of worry on a warrior's mind, he doesn't play all out," Williams said. "If it happens, it happens. And the only thing you'd like for me to say is that if it happens you hope he doesn't get back up and play again."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...njure-manning/

I've often wondered when this time will come. If you can take 15 yds or an ejection even to take someone like Manning out of a SB... would it be worth it? There was no denying (for anyone who watched the last game) that the Saints were in the mindset of capitalizing on any hits they could get on Favre - even if they were borderline.

Shall be interesting to see...
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Just don't hit Manning's pretty face. The guy can't make ends meet without all the commercial money.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Hope the Colts to the same to Brees then!! If the Saints do it to Manning..i'd tell my players to take out Brees...whatever the cost!! Almost sounds like they will be taking cheap shots at Manning!! Makes you wonder if the Saints trust their D to get any stops if they gotta take cheap shots at Manning to get him knocked outta the game!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

His melon head would explode, making a mess.

My theory stands correct about the shots...I was pretty suspicious of all those hits on gramps during the game. It was painfully clear the Saints coaches weren't overly upset at some of the walkoffs.

A major injury of note: Dwight Freeney has a busted wheel...hi, mid, and low ankle sprain. BAD for a speed rusher.

A pity about Pay-a-Ton. I look for him to go down like an oak tree.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't know what I think, really...

Is it better for the players to be able to claim themselves as SB champs even if they have to sacrifice some dignity to do it? How far has the 'it's how you play the game' addage been forgotten?

On the other hand, for years we've been talking about the way to win is to rattle Peyton. It's not always the sacks but the hits and hurries. We're all of the same mindset but maybe most just don't like to say it like it is? Everyone wants to pretend they'd like to see him get up but secretly doesn't? Or just doesn't want him at 100%?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah412 View Post
"This guy's got a great clock in his head," Williams told 104.5 The Zone, via ESPN.com. "The big thing is that he throws the ball so early that we're going to have to do a good job of finding ways to get to him and when we do get to him we're going to have to make sure he gets a couple 'remember me' shots when we get there."

The Saints applied several "remember me" shots to Favre on Sunday, prompting many a Vikings fan to utter a phrase that for broadcast television purposes would be edited to sound like "forget you." One such hit to Favre's legs didn't draw a flag, even though NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira admitted last night that a roughing the passer penalty should have been called.
And Williams won't be reeling in his troops for the Super Bowl. Instead, it sounds like he's willing to risk a few 15-yard walk-offs if it means that Manning eventually will be carted off the field.

"When you put too much of that type of worry on a warrior's mind, he doesn't play all out," Williams said. "If it happens, it happens. And the only thing you'd like for me to say is that if it happens you hope he doesn't get back up and play again."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...njure-manning/

I've often wondered when this time will come. If you can take 15 yds or an ejection even to take someone like Manning out of a SB... would it be worth it? There was no denying (for anyone who watched the last game) that the Saints were in the mindset of capitalizing on any hits they could get on Favre - even if they were borderline.

Shall be interesting to see...
Thus the league is preparing to help their poster boy out

I hope the Saints knock his ass out

Who Dat Who Dhere
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

News flash!!! Every defense wants to hit the quarterback, it's whether or not you can get to him. I'm pretty sure the saints aren't the only team that tried that (i.e. THE NEW YORK JETS). That plan worked for one half but the only problem is that the jets did not have the fire power to keep up with the colts. The problem that the colts present and shanny has been a big victim of this is that Peyton Manning intimidates teams. Defenses change their whole strategy by changing their looks, trying to listen to his calls, and just blitzing the him trying to take him out. Also, offenses try the keep him off the field by just running the ball and running the ball. The problem with that is Peyton Manning has seen it all and will gut you like a fish because defenses are out thinking themselves and offenses don't have the fire power to keep up with him. I think the saints pose a threat to the colts because their better in out scoring teams than the colts. The saints defense is very opportunistic. They have three very good cover coners in Jabari Greer, Tracy Porter, and Randall Gay that make interceptions (Jabari Greer is one of the best coners in the league he has shut steve smith, roddy white, calvin johnson, and to down during the season and has made sidney rice and larry fitzgerald non factors in the playoffs). If the saints blitz peyton and beat him up like they did the NFL GOLDEN BOYS Kurt Warner and Lord Favre, and keep running up the score they have a good chance to win!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
News flash!!! Every defense wants to hit the quarterback, it's whether or not you can get to him. I'm pretty sure the saints aren't the only team that tried that (i.e. THE NEW YORK JETS). That plan worked for one half but the only problem is that the jets did not have the fire power to keep up with the colts. The problem that the colts present and shanny has been a big victim of this is that Peyton Manning intimidates teams. Defenses change their whole strategy by changing their looks, trying to listen to his calls, and just blitzing the him trying to take him out. Also, offenses try the keep him off the field by just running the ball and running the ball. The problem with that is Peyton Manning has seen it all and will gut you like a fish because defenses are out thinking themselves and offenses don't have the fire power to keep up with him. I think the saints pose a threat to the colts because their better in out scoring teams than the colts. The saints defense is very opportunistic. They have three very good cover coners in Jabari Greer, Tracy Porter, and Randall Gay that make interceptions (Jabari Greer is one of the best coners in the league he has shut steve smith, roddy white, calvin johnson, and to down during the season and has made sidney rice and larry fitzgerald non factors in the playoffs). If the saints blitz peyton and beat him up like they did the NFL GOLDEN BOYS Kurt Warner and Lord Favre, and keep running up the score they have a good chance to win!

Very good post soiled by an attempt at sarcasm in the beginning. The surprising part of this story was that the Saints were openly saying they'll take some risks to hit Manning. Now what happens if Manning gets knocked out of the game on a cheap shot? You could potentially have a comparable story to the old bounty talk. The NFL could respond VERY harshly... especially since it's their posterboy. If it turns the game into an ugly one and ratings fall because of it... it could truly have huge consequences.

Usually everyone just keeps their mouth shut for deniability purposes. Here the DC opened his mouth and let his intentions be known... this isn't an every week occurance.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Most of that was the writers opinion. What Williams will try to do is rattle Manning, get in his face. And that's exactly what should be done. I remember us doing it to Brady in the playoff game and although he had a good game (in the 3rd quarter), it worked. The travesty I see in this whole subject is the overall protection by the league of the QB and in particular, Manning, Favre, and Brady. It's gotten sickening. I didn't see anything wrong with the ANY of the sacks on Favre last Sunday and the proof was he was not hurt. Any pain he experienced was from a game that can cause pain and a 40 year old body. More than anything I'd like to see them allow the teams to play, both sides.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
Dude the Saints defense is pathetic! They gotta rely on taking out the other teams QB and for them to be as careless with the ball as the Vikings were! The Vikes moved the ball at will against the Saints D. Do you really think the Colts are going to turn the ball over 5-6 times?! The Colts don't have AP to hand the ball over...that's bad news for the Saints!!

Manning > Favre

Manning will have had 2 weeks to prep for that awesome D you speak of!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Most of that was the writers opinion. What Williams will try to do is rattle Manning, get in his face. And that's exactly what should be done. I remember us doing it to Brady in the playoff game and although he had a good game (in the 3rd quarter), it worked. The travesty I see in this whole subject is the overall protection by the league of the QB and in particular, Manning, Favre, and Brady. It's gotten sickening. I didn't see anything wrong with the ANY of the sacks on Favre last Sunday and the proof was he was not hurt. Any pain he experienced was from a game that can cause pain and a 40 year old body. More than anything I'd like to see them allow the teams to play, both sides.

Guess you missed last weeks game!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post

Guess you missed last weeks game!
Watched the entire game. Guess you missed football when it was allowed to be played, not a protection agency for the QB's.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #13
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Watched the entire game. Guess you missed football when it was allowed to be played, not a protection agency for the QB's.
They were driving Favre into the ground in ways not seen since Tony Siragusa (spelling?) made it a big issue years ago. There was the going low, driving him down, hitting him late... they were trying to not just get in his head but remove the thing.

We all agree on excessive protection of the QB today but sometimes the intent is obvious.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah412 View Post
They were driving Favre into the ground in ways not seen since Tony Siragusa (spelling?) made it a big issue years ago. There was the going low, driving him down, hitting him late... they were trying to not just get in his head but remove the thing.

We all agree on excessive protection of the QB today but sometimes the intent is obvious.
You must have missed football when it was played from both sides too, when a QB was protected by their line, not the league. If they were truly trying to take Favre out, they had more than ample opportunity....and didn't. That little act at the end, I told the people I was watching with that Favre would be back on the field. Hurt my ass, it was a ploy for a flag, a scenario for an excuse for a loss, or to be the hero. The Saints D did their job. To have more players like Butkus and Jones who would publically state they wanted to take the QB's head off. Of course they didn't, they just did their job, but they struck fear in the other side. QB's today think they are a protected commodity....see Brady wanting a flag. They have become nothing but a bunch of crying pussies who want to hinder the defense from their job. The only good thing that could possibly come from this "protection agency" would have been Elway maybe could have played 18 years instead of just 16.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
You must have missed football when it was played from both sides too, when a QB was protected by their line, not the league. If they were truly trying to take Favre out, they had more than ample opportunity....and didn't. That little act at the end, I told the people I was watching with that Favre would be back on the field. Hurt my ass, it was a ploy for a flag, a scenario for an excuse for a loss, or to be the hero. The Saints D did their job. To have more players like Butkus and Jones who would publically state they wanted to take the QB's head off. Of course they didn't, they just did their job, but they struck fear in the other side. QB's today think they are a protected commodity....see Brady wanting a flag. They have become nothing but a bunch of crying pussies who want to hinder the defense from their job. The only good thing that could possibly come from this "protection agency" would have been Elway maybe could have played 18 years instead of just 16.
Wow!! First off...Favre is 40 years old!! Second of all, he not one time cried for a flag..not once!! The highlighted part...your an idiot if you truly believe that..maybe you missed the hit or were drunk while watching the game! That was one of the guttiest performances i've ever seen from a QB! Maybe you have a serious hate for Farve i don't know...a late hit is a late hit. The one time they did throw a flag was on that reverse..wasn't even throwing the ball!!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #16
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

It's pretty easy, if you Blitz Manning you will lose for sure. You have to get pressure with 4 or less to beat the Colts.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #17
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Doesn't matter NO is winning this game going away.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
It's pretty easy, if you Blitz Manning you will lose for sure. You have to get pressure with 4 or less to beat the Colts.
Tall order, but a must.

He almost invites the other teams to blitz and his line always seems to pick it up.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #19
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Wow!! First off...Favre is 40 years old!! Second of all, he not one time cried for a flag..not once!! The highlighted part...your an idiot if you truly believe that..maybe you missed the hit or were drunk while watching the game! That was one of the guttiest performances i've ever seen from a QB! Maybe you have a serious hate for Farve i don't know...a late hit is a late hit. The one time they did throw a flag was on that reverse..wasn't even throwing the ball!!
Oh sweetie, calm down. Maybe YOU have a serious man crush. Favre will live to walk again. I did not say he called for a flag, reading comprehension. That was Brady I said that about. So what if he's 40, he chose to play. What is the defense suppose to say "leave him alone, he's 40"? Didn't I say in my previous post than any pain was from the game and a 40 year old body? Again, reading comprehension. How many times have you seen a QB flop for a flag? I don't believe his ankle was hurt. I didn't say it wasn't a gutty performance....hell, I'm not a fan of Favre's but he did play an impressive game. I'll add he's also an ego maniac, thus my opinion of his ploy. Maybe you'd do better with flag football if hits on the QB cause you this much stress....or is it just Favre?

Last edited by gunns; 01-28-2010 at 09:16 PM..
Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #20
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
I think Gunns point is people should go back and look at games like the Broncos vs. the Cowboys in super bowl XII. Take a look at some of the hits Morton takes not to mention some of the hits the Crush put on Stauback.

And yes the defense considered it there job to knock out QB's. Not babaric, just the nature of what football was meant to be.
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #21
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

After watching Elway get hit so hard I thought he was dead at times I dont mind seeing the new great QBs see how it used to be.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #22
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
after watching elway get hit so hard i thought he was dead at times i dont mind seeing the new great qbs see how it used to be.
+1
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #23
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Colts have a good offensive line, you blitz and you lose.

Better get pressure with the front four or he's going to win.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:13 AM   #24
enjolras
Ring of Famer

It's the old New England strategy. Get in Mannings face and he's beatable. The key is, you have to change up the timing of those blitzes. The Jets brought some serious heat last week and they really had Manning off rhythm, right until he figured it out. The Patriots have always been very good at bringing pressure from different angles... sometimes firing at the snap, sometimes with stunts and delayed blitzes, and sometimes by dropping everyone back into coverage.

With the Colts it's very simple. If Manning gets comfortable with the pressure your going to give up a LOT of points.

I don't think the Saints have the defensive talent to slow Manning down. I don't think the Colts have the defensive talent to put a dent in Brees.

This may be an Arena football game.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:42 AM   #25
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
It's the old New England strategy. Get in Mannings face and he's beatable. The key is, you have to change up the timing of those blitzes. The Jets brought some serious heat last week and they really had Manning off rhythm, right until he figured it out. The Patriots have always been very good at bringing pressure from different angles... sometimes firing at the snap, sometimes with stunts and delayed blitzes, and sometimes by dropping everyone back into coverage.

With the Colts it's very simple. If Manning gets comfortable with the pressure your going to give up a LOT of points.

I don't think the Saints have the defensive talent to slow Manning down. I don't think the Colts have the defensive talent to put a dent in Brees.

This may be an Arena football game.
Exactly, you have to get pressure on Manning to have any hope of winning and that means blitzing in the Saint's case as they probably don't have a Dline capable of getting pressure by themselves. The real trick is disguising the blitz enough to confuse Manning and that is extremely difficult as Manning is as intelligent when it comes to reading a defense as any QB in the history of the league.

New Orleans needed a lot of help to get past Minnesota, I don't see the Colts making similiar mistakes...
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote