The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default martindale officially announced as DC

per vic lombardi and more
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14286824

Posted: 01/28/2010 11:26:44 AM MST
Updated: 01/28/2010 11:29:19 AM MST

New defensive chief Don Martindale, left, will replace Mike Nolan.

The Broncos officially promoted Don "Wink" Martindale from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator today.

Martindale becomes the Broncos' fifth defensive coordinator in five years.

He succeeds Mike Nolan, who left after one season and now is defensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins.

"Wink definitely deserves this," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "He's earned this opportunity. Our system won't change, our philosophy won't change. He's a very aggressive coach. This is a great day for the Denver Broncos."
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Woo hoo, champyunchip...
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I think this was the best option outside of keeping things level with Mike Nolan.

Martindale has a solid background and will hopefully maintain some level of stability within the defense.

Congrats to him and pulling for some great success.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

can we please have some continuity now
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

he better be renting
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't know much about him so I don't have an opinion on him yet. What I do know is he has some big shoes to fill. Nolan was doing a great job with this defense.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

God I hope this goes better than the last time we promoted a "players coach" to DC.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
I don't know much about him so I don't have an opinion on him yet. What I do know is he has some big shoes to fill. Nolan was doing a great job with this defense.
There's not TOO much to know. He's mainly been a college position coach and just hit the pro scene semi recent as a LB coach in Oakland. He's done a good to excellent job at each stop so far though, so let's hope he's ready for this next step.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Nolan definitely did a great job at the beginning of the year scheming this defense. However, they were not so good down the stretch again. They really need to establish a system and find actual talent and depth to fit it for several years. Just like the offense needs to do the same now. Continuity will be key to the next few years success.....

Coaching is less relevant than continuity right now, and has been for the last 5 years. I think Martindale will do just fine as long as they tweak and not drastically change the scheme, philosophy, and terminology again for the fourth straight year.

Last edited by Mediator12; 01-28-2010 at 10:53 AM..
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I think he is a good choice and understands the "chain of command" and that can't be all bad.....
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #14
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
He was, but a lot of what we where doing well came counter culture to what Nolan had previously done.

A few things to consider:

McDaniels was (obviously) the talent selector for our defensive makeover. Like it or not he obviously calls the football personnel shots, so our acquisitions are to his credit well before anyone else.

Doom commented prior to the season that McDaniels had worked with him personally on his change from DE to OLB.

There is ample video evidence showing McDaniels actually getting directly involved with defensive coaching during camp and pre-season last year.

Dawkins recently said that Martindale was the source of a LOT of their pre-game prep materials, breaking down opposing offenses. That is (obviously) a key part of how a defense performs.

Nolan as a defensive play caller did manage a very good game. Prior to a few teams cracking the nut that was our defensive scheme (i.e. our weak DL we where masking) he had moments of outright great game management and kept the opposition guessing and unsure all game. He also was likely at least heavily involved in our excellent halftime adjustments, a key to our early season success.

Martindale has some big shoes to fill, but he isn't replacing a miracle worker. Just a very good DC that he got to work with and learn from all last season.

Its on Martindale to translate that into results, while at the same time its on McDaniels to provide him with the talent along the DL that lets him have continued success even when the novelty of scheme wears off.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #15
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Here's a question, because I loved Martindale as a LB coach, do we hire a new one or can he still work with those guys?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #16
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
He was, but a lot of what we where doing well came counter culture to what Nolan had previously done.

A few things to consider:

McDaniels was (obviously) the talent selector for our defensive makeover. Like it or not he obviously calls the football personnel shots, so our acquisitions are to his credit well before anyone else.

Doom commented prior to the season that McDaniels had worked with him personally on his change from DE to OLB.

There is ample video evidence showing McDaniels actually getting directly involved with defensive coaching during camp and pre-season last year.

Dawkins recently said that Martindale was the source of a LOT of their pre-game prep materials, breaking down opposing offenses. That is (obviously) a key part of how a defense performs.

Nolan as a defensive play caller did manage a very good game. Prior to a few teams cracking the nut that was our defensive scheme (i.e. our weak DL we where masking) he had moments of outright great game management and kept the opposition guessing and unsure all game. He also was likely at least heavily involved in our excellent halftime adjustments, a key to our early season success.

Martindale has some big shoes to fill, but he isn't replacing a miracle worker. Just a very good DC that he got to work with and learn from all last season.

Its on Martindale to translate that into results, while at the same time its on McDaniels to provide him with the talent along the DL that lets him have continued success even when the novelty of scheme wears off.
Not to nitpick, but your bolded statement isn't true... Dawkins said that Martindale worked a lot with HIM, because in all actuality, Dawkins was playing more of the 4th LB role than a DB

"I very much can see him as a defensive coordinator," Dawkins said. "A lot of what they asked me to do this year as a true strong safety, the film study I went through at that position, a lot of that came from him."
Old 01-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Here's a question, because I loved Martindale as a LB coach, do we hire a new one or can he still work with those guys?
He can and should do both.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #18
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
He can and should do both.
I hope so, especially if he's got Phifer to help him. I was just wondering since McCoy is now just the OC if McD wants his coordinators to only focus on coordinating.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #19
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Not to nitpick, but your bolded statement isn't true... Dawkins said that Martindale worked a lot with HIM, because in all actuality, Dawkins was playing more of the 4th LB role than a DB

"I very much can see him as a defensive coordinator," Dawkins said. "A lot of what they asked me to do this year as a true strong safety, the film study I went through at that position, a lot of that came from him."
Thanks for the correction, the fact that Dawk was always the 8th man in the box slipped my mind.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #20
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Martindale Promoted to Defensive Coordinator
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Thursday promoted Don “Wink” Martindale to defensive coordinator, it was announced. Martindale coached the club’s linebackers in 2009 after spending five years in that role with the Oakland Raiders.

“We are excited to name Wink Martindale our defensive coordinator,” Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. “Wink is the perfect fit to lead our defense after earning the respect of our players and coaching staff for the job he did this past year working with our linebackers.

“Defensively, we will keep our system consistent in terms of the scheme and will play an aggressive, physical brand of football. Most importantly, we want to continue to improve. Wink holds his players to a very high standard, both on the field and in the meeting room, and he makes them better. He is highly regarded within our organization, and we look forward to him leading our defense.”

Before beginning his NFL coaching career with the Raiders in 2004, the 46-year-old Martindale worked as the defensive coordinator at Western Kentucky University in 2003 and helped the Hilltoppers rank sixth in Division I-AA in yards per game allowed. He also worked as a defensive coordinator at Western Illinois University in 1999 after coaching in various defensive roles at the University of Cincinnati (1996-98) and the University of Notre Dame (1994-95).

Martindale spent six years coaching at the high school level in Ohio after beginning his coaching career in 1986 at Defiance College, where he played linebacker and earned a bachelor’s degree in business education.

As the Broncos’ linebackers coach in 2009, Martindale oversaw a unit that helped Denver rank seventh in the NFL in total yards per game allowed (315.0) and third in the league in passing yards per game allowed (186.3). He helped Elvis Dumervil become the first league sack champion in Broncos history with the fourth-year player posting a club-record 17 to earn Pro Bowl honors in his first season at linebacker.

In addition, D.J. Williams was named a Pro Bowl alternate under Martindale in 2009 after leading the club with 122 tackles that ranked sixth in the AFC according to press box statistics.

An all-state linebacker at Trotwood-Madison High School in Trotwood, Ohio, Martindale was born on May 19, 1963, in Dayton, Ohio. He is married to Laura, and the couple has one daughter (Cassie) and one son (Ty).
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Wink Martindale is our new DC?

Last edited by Rohirrim; 01-28-2010 at 11:10 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #22
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
I hope so, especially if he's got Phifer to help him. I was just wondering since McCoy is now just the OC if McD wants his coordinators to only focus on coordinating.
We should bring in someone else, or promote from within, regardless if if Martindale carries the load with the LBs still.

Ben McDaniels to QB coach doesn't mean he's suddenly going to be coaching the QBs. McCoy didn't even really coach the QBs last year, its always been McDaniels. But its a chance to start developing more internal talent within the coaching staff. This organization needs to get back to the traditional HC > OC/DC > ST > positional coaches line of grooming our own staff replacements.

Not only does it give us more football minds working on how to win games and protection when coaches get sniped off the staff, but it also gives a clear power hierarchy that the players can see and understand.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #23
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

For people who want continuity, this is continuity.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #24
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Wink Martindale is our new DC?

Am I the only one who's never heard of this guy? ^^^^
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #25
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
We should bring in someone else, or promote from within, regardless if if Martindale carries the load with the LBs still.

Ben McDaniels to QB coach doesn't mean he's suddenly going to be coaching the QBs. McCoy didn't even really coach the QBs last year, its always been McDaniels. But its a chance to start developing more internal talent within the coaching staff. This organization needs to get back to the traditional HC > OC/DC > ST > positional coaches line of grooming our own staff replacements.

Not only does it give us more football minds working on how to win games and protection when coaches get sniped off the staff, but it also gives a clear power hierarchy that the players can see and understand.
i dont think ben mcdaniels will be doing much coaching, i think this is mcdaniels way of getting his brother good coaching observing time and experience to help him move his own way up the coaching ladder. the absolute truth in this business is its WHO you know. thats all it is. even in strength and conditioning (collegiate or nfl), which im going into, thats all it is.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote