The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default scout comments from the senior bowl

I follow this guy on twitter and he has had some accurate observations in the past. http://www.movethesticks.com/

Senior Bowl: Players On The Rise
Every year there are a few players that show up in Mobile and find a way to stand out amongst a field of College All-Stars. Here are a few players that caught my eye after watching practice and studying the tape:

Idaho OG Mike Iupati-He had all of the scouts and personnel execs sitting up in their chairs at the weigh-in. He stepped on stage and measured out at 6052 325 with 35 inch arms. That is rare size for an NFL Guard and he wasn’t sporting any baby fat! He was dominant in 1-1’s. He created movement in the run game. He could easily find himself going in the late teens early twenties in this draft

Arkansas St DE Alex Carrington- Another player that passed the eye ball test at the weigh-in. He checked in at 6052 284 with 10 1/2 inch hands. He showed excellent strength at the point of attack in the run periods and was dominant in 1-1 pass rush using both speed and power. He looks like an early 2nd round pick with the chance to help himself even more at the combine.

There were several other players that had a fantastic week… Check back later on Thursday for the rest of the list.

JAN 27
Senior Bowl: My Take on Tebow
I have spent the week studying Tim Tebow at the Senior Bowl and my original opinion has not been swayed. I believe the odds are stacked against Tebow ever becoming a starting QB at the next level. I have two major concerns: His release and his accuracy on drive throws. Before delivering the ball, he drops it below his waist, cocks it and then wheels it forward at a slow rate of speed. He needs a lot of room in the pocket to operate and he won’t be granted that space at the next level. If he comes off his first read, he doesn’t have the time to re-cock and deliver the ball. He is comfortable on bucket throws. He can lay the ball up high in the air on fades and corner routes and drop it in the bucket. However, he really struggles to drive the ball downfield with velocity and accuracy. You have to be able to drive the ball on skinny posts, deep out routes and comebacks. The windows are small and the ability to place the ball accurately with velocity is incredibly important. He is best suited to go to a team with an established QB. He can contribute in the wildcat stuff while developing his skill as a TE/HB.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Good find Titan. Mike Iupati really interests me considering the glaring need at LG. I would love to get this guy on our team. His size is ideal for McD's running and passing attack.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I agree Iupati sounds perfect for what the Broncos are looking for. McD showed last year he drafts players he likes regardless of where they are projected to be taken. Depending what else is on the board at pick 10/11 I could see McD taking Iupati there.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Either way, the interior on our O-line needs to be addressed in a major way (LG and C). Moreno had people in the backfield waaaay too much at the end of this season.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Idaho Guards seem to turn out pretty well for us... Just sayin.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I like Lupati. I had questions about his feet, those have pretty much been answered. He also projects as a possible RT. I read somewhere that he is said to possibly be able to play all five offensive line positions. If he can be seen as a LT or even RT. his stock MAY just right to take at 11. Because obviously if he can play G and be a top twenty. He can get top five if he can grade out as a LT.

Jason Ordrick is another guy that made alot of money this weekend. I dont know what system of Defense we will be playing. If it is the One Gap he has got to be looked at.

Alex Carrington could be picked in the second ahead of the broncos by jacksonville. They really need a DE.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Idaho Guards seem to turn out pretty well for us... Just sayin.
I heard those guys really stink (bad joke, ).
Old 01-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer

I'm beginning to feel like we should just draft Iupati at #11, lock him in at RG long term, sign Kuper to a respectable 4 year deal, move him over to LG where I think he's a better fit, and finish it off by drafting Matt Tennant in the 3rd to develop into Weigman's replacement.

No need to get cute. We need a powerful OG more than anything but NT, and NTs are too boom/bust to roll the dice on at #11. Iupati is 99% likely to be worth the paycheck. Trade down if you can to get more picks, but if you can't then don't get too cute with it. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush, as the saying goes.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I think Tebow translates to a TE and he's not worth a 1st round pick at that position.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I think Tebow translates to a TE and he's not worth a 1st round pick at that position.
Any team that picks him above round 4 is foolish.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

The Senior bowl was discussed on Sirus NFL and they listed all the same flaws and how he was uncomfortable under center and his mechanics were terrible. So with all the flaws the scouts where having a hard time understanding his uncanny ability to move the ball down the field with ease and score points .........
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Also hearing "Mount Cody" gained like 20 pounds since the National Championship game and I really don't know if I want to even consider him early on in the draft.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I'm beginning to feel like we should just draft Iupati at #11, lock him in at RG long term, sign Kuper to a respectable 4 year deal, move him over to LG where I think he's a better fit, and finish it off by drafting Matt Tennant in the 3rd to develop into Weigman's replacement.

No need to get cute. We need a powerful OG more than anything but NT, and NTs are too boom/bust to roll the dice on at #11. Iupati is 99% likely to be worth the paycheck. Trade down if you can to get more picks, but if you can't then don't get too cute with it. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush, as the saying goes.
Agree 100%. The NFLN and being able to watch these practices has been frigging great. Iupati is the real deal.
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
I agree Iupati sounds perfect for what the Broncos are looking for. McD showed last year he drafts players he likes regardless of where they are projected to be taken. Depending what else is on the board at pick 10/11 I could see McD taking Iupati there.
a Cody-Iupati 1st round would not surprise me at all.

Marshall isn't coming back and that will get us at least a 1st, so if i had to bet on who we take, i would say Cody-Iupati.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoneco1331 View Post
Also hearing "Mount Cody" gained like 20 pounds since the National Championship game and I really don't know if I want to even consider him early on in the draft.
You just can't. If he could control the weight he'd be a top 15 pick, easily. Probably top 10. But say he gets down to 350 or so for his pro day and you give him top 15 money. How high is the chance he shows up at over 400 pounds after a few months of knowing he's got a seven figure bonus coming to him?

He's a second rounder. Alan Branch was a similar scenario and he went from being viewed as a top 10-15 pick on draft day to an early 2nd. There is some chance Cody will come back around to us in the 2nd. Teams looking for an NT will probably take the safer bet in Dan Williams before him, who's probably a late first/early 2nd type.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #16
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Iupati just looks like a great player, is playing and interviewing like one as well.

I wouldn't be sad to see him on our roster, if he's the BPA at our draft position.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #17
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I've got a feeling we put a third round tender on Kuper and let him go if someone signs him (which I think is probable). I thought it was telling that Olsen worked exclusively at right guard last year despite all the issues we had at left guard. Nothing about that would change your idea on drafting Iupati, however. He could play left or right guard. Maybe we make a move for Mankins? Or, plug Olsen in at right guard. I'm not real sold on Tennant - a little undersized. I like Eric Olsen, Walton, or Pouncey a little better.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #18
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
So with all the flaws the scouts where having a hard time understanding his uncanny ability to move the ball down the field with ease and score points .........
It's called the power of Gator recruiting and being surrounded by superior athletes.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

I'm totally fine with an OL w/ 1st rounder. Look how great it turned out last time for us.... Clady is the man.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
You just can't. If he could control the weight he'd be a top 15 pick, easily. Probably top 10. But say he gets down to 350 or so for his pro day and you give him top 15 money. How high is the chance he shows up at over 400 pounds after a few months of knowing he's got a seven figure bonus coming to him?

He's a second rounder. Alan Branch was a similar scenario and he went from being viewed as a top 10-15 pick on draft day to an early 2nd. There is some chance Cody will come back around to us in the 2nd. Teams looking for an NT will probably take the safer bet in Dan Williams before him, who's probably a late first/early 2nd type.
Except that Cody will show up in the Senior Bowl and blow some mofos away and all the logic will go out the window. I was very high on Cody and he was number one on my wish list since last year. Then, I thought - Let's see how he shows up for the Senior Bowl. The idea that he showed up fat and out of shape seals it for me. Giving him a big paycheck will probably just be like throwing money out the window. Compare Cody to Dan Williams. Williams is busting ass. My new wish list is Big Dan and Iaputi (if we get a first for Marshall). I wouldn't touch Cody with anything higher than a mid-second.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

There are 4-5 good options for Broncos in FA at guard depending on who re-signs with old team. Broncos could grab a draft pick, pick up a FA, resign Kuper and revamp the interior oline. Not sure what they will do at center though.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #22
Bronco CB40
Seasoned Veteran

COKE FIEND

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

What impresses me the most about Iupati is his passion for football. You can see it in his play. He will make his first block, take his defender out of the play and then move up field and find another guy to stick his hat into. He doesn't stop hitting until the whistle blows.
Bronco CB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #23
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Iupati and Clady on the left side for the next 12 years or so (God willing) would be unfair.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #24
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

10/11 is a good spot to trade down, maybe to like the late teens and then take Iupati. 10/11 is just too high.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #25
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
It's called the power of Gator recruiting and being surrounded by superior athletes.
I assumed the scouts were referring to Senior Bowl practices.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote