The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default NFL considers use of echocardiograms

NEW YORK (AP)—The NFL’s medical committee is discussing giving players echocardiograms following the death this month of Chicago Bears defensive end Gaines Adams(notes).

Adams died of an enlarged heart, something an echocardiogram can detect. NFL teams already give extensive physicals to players. Stress testing and echocardiograms are conducted when the results of the physical, an EKG and family history indicate the need.

NFL medical people and outside experts who sit on the league’s cardiovascular health committee previously have discussed making echocardiograms standard. They’re doing so again, pending the final pathologists’ report on Adams.

But some cardiologists warn there could be risks, such as misdiagnoses, to making echocardiograms standard in a physical exam.
-------------

If it's available the NFL should use it.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

First!

Also sounds good to me. Don't see a reason to not test if it will save lives.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I have no doubt that misdiagnoses could occur, but the rarity of mistakes still makes the procedure needed. It's similar to court trials. You don't eliminate court trials just because mistakes could be made and an innocent person could be sent to jail...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Funny how fast they are to act when it comes to heart failures which are extremely rare, but when it comes to concussions which are so common they are still humming and hawing. I wonder if we really do need someone to die on the field from a collision before they take it seriously.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Funny how fast they are to act when it comes to heart failures which are extremely rare, but when it comes to concussions which are so common they are still humming and hawing. I wonder if we really do need someone to die on the field from a collision before they take it seriously.
hopefully not.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Really you don't think they have stepped up how they handle concussions at all? What about the new helmets they make? When is the last time you seen a player like Big Ben held out of a important game because of a concussion? How about how they handled Portis, Westbrook, and Warner this year? I can tell you that if a guy like Portis went on the IR for a concussion in the 70s, 80s, and 90s he would have been out of the league for being too soft. I think the NFL is finally starting to do something about concussions but players calling out other players ala what Hines Ward did to Big Ben won't help much. They have finally started doing studies with former players and soon the current players will have to understand what is at risk for them when they play with a head injury. It's a slow process because of the amount of players that do play through it.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Nice gesture. Won't make a difference for guys like Adams, but a PR gesture was needed.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #8
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Maybe they can start genetic testing for colorectal cancer while they're at it. It would certainly be more productive in the long run than subjecting every player to a mandatory needle in the haystack exam.

I have a crazy idea: how about trying to educate players about lifestyle repercussions -- you know -- like what can happen if you jump from a moving pickup truck, spray random gang bangers with champagne, encounter the rouge McDonalds wrapper, etc.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Maybe they can start genetic testing for colorectal cancer while they're at it. It would certainly be more productive in the long run than subjecting every player to a mandatory needle in the haystack exam.
Exactly.

We've had this debate - on this site - before.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote