The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Wilfork: Franchise tag would be 'slap in the face'

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl...ory?id=4863296

Defensive tackle Vince Wilfork said Wednesday he would consider it a "slap in the face" if the New England Patriots placed the franchise tag on him, an action the team is expected to take if a long-term extension is not reached.

"I want a long-term deal or I want to be free. Point blank," Wilfork said during an interview on Boston sports radio station WEEI.

Wilfork, who has been vocal since before the season about his desire for an extension, just completed the last season of a six-year rookie contract and is in line for a hefty raise and a long-term deal if he hits the open market. The Patriots, however, could prevent him from doing so if they place the franchise tag on him, which they could do during a two-week stretch in February.

"I didn't like that six-year deal but I did honor my six-year deal," Wilfork said on WEEI. "Now that the deal is up, it's time for me to move forward, with the Patriots or without the Patriots."

The 28-year-old and two-time Pro Bowler Wilfork said he would view being tagged as an insult by the Patriots.

"[The franchise tag] is decent money for most people out there. What I do, it's OK," Wilfork said. "But I don't look at myself as an OK player. Like I said, it's just basically a slap in my face and an insult to me to basically tell me I'm an OK player."

For Wilfork, the franchise tag -- which is a one-year deal -- also means a missed opportunity to gain long-term financial security for his family.

"There's a short window of opportunity for me to make the type of money that I want to make ..." Wilfork said. "I'm not selling my family short and I'm definitely not selling myself short just to stay back and to win and be part of a great organization.

"Winning is a big part of sports, but a lot of teams win. ... We'll see. I will do what's best for my family. But I definitely will not sell myself short of my ability. Not at all."

Wilfork said he and his agent have not heard from the Patriots about his contract since the end of the season and the sides have not talked about an extension since the beginning of the season.

"I'm not sitting by the phone waiting for them to call," said Wilfork, who will play in the Pro Bowl in Miami on Sunday. "Either they call or they don't. They have all the numbers they need. ... Whenever they call, they call."
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

He could always go get a "real" job. And Vince has already received long term financial security earning more in a year than most do is several years.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Most of us agree that he would be the biggest difference maker in FA if he were to not get franchised. Sounds like NE may pull a Cassell with him, i.e. tag and trade.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
Most of us agree that he would be the biggest difference maker in FA if he were to not get franchised. Sounds like NE may pull a Cassell with him, i.e. tag and trade.
I've got a WR I'd trade striaght up for him.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I've got a WR I'd trade striaght up for him.
We don't want people who are unhappy with their contracts, that shows poor character and we can't have that.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I got a news flash for Wilfork, Bill Bellichick could give a rats ass what he thinks.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
We don't want people who are unhappy with their contracts, that shows poor character and we can't have that.
Actually it's more the acting like a clown and turning your back on your team and responsibilities that shows poor character. I haven't seen Wilfork do that at any point.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
TheDave
Sauced...

Wilfork: Franchise tag would be 'slap in the face'

Read: "I'm about to get franchised and I would rather hit the jack-pot with Denver, KC, or Washington"

another FA off the list.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

What a lot of people are missing is that the Pats already slapped him in the face by making him play out all 6 years of his rookie contract. NOBODY does that in today's NFL. Not with a guy of Wilfork's ability and record on and off the field. Rookie contracts for guys of his caliber ALWAYS get reworked prior to that 6th year and they never made a real effort to do it with him.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Actually it's more the acting like a clown and turning your back on your team and responsibilities that shows poor character. I haven't seen Wilfork do that at any point.
Oh no, he kicked a football away from a ball boy. That definitely makes him a horrible person, he is a regular Hitler that guy.

Or is it things like skipping workouts you think is turning your back on the team? Because Wilfork did that, he didn't participate in a single voluntary workout last year.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Oh no, he kicked a football away from a ball boy. That definitely makes him a horrible person, he is a regular Hitler that guy.

Or is it things like skipping workouts you think is turning your back on the team? Because Wilfork did that, he didn't participate in a single voluntary workout last year.
yes because that is the extent of what BMarsh has done here to exhibit poor behavior
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of faking an injury for the last game of the season, showing up late for treatment, and causing the vets on your team to go to the coach and asking him to bench you.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
Meck77

As a realtor I find the whole "reworking" of contracts interesting. Guys sign them and then get mad at the owners for making players uphold them. Then why sign the damn thing in the first place?

He could have done a 3 year deal. Now he's crying. To Wilfork's credit at least he's not pulling a Cutler pretending it's about something other than money.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #14
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of faking an injury for the last game of the season, showing up late for treatment, and causing the vets on your team to go to the coach and asking him to bench you.
Do we know how many times Wilfork has been arrested for hitting women?

No mention of arrests on Wikipedia, but he did attend Duh-U, so that's a strike against him

I did read this though:

Quote:
Wilfork's string of fines continued into the 2008 season, when in an October 20 game against the Denver Broncos Wilfork appeared to elbow Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler in the head after a play.
I think we've found our man!

Marshall for Wilfork straight up? DEAL.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Do we know how many times Wilfork has been arrested for hitting women?

No mention of arrests on Wikipedia, but he did attend Duh-U, so that's a strike against him

I did read this though:

I think we've found our man!

Marshall for Wilfork straight up? DEAL.
Lol that's always been one of my favourite things about Wilfork, he's dirty as ****, including hurting Jay.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #16
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
As a realtor I find the whole "reworking" of contracts interesting. Guys sign them and then get mad at the owners for making players uphold them. Then why sign the damn thing in the first place?

He could have done a 3 year deal. Now he's crying. To Wilfork's credit at least he's not pulling a Cutler pretending it's about something other than money.
Because there is no true contract between players and owners in the NFL... the owners can tear it up by cutting the player at anytime.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Vince .... buddy .... They just shipped your buddy to the freaking Raiders.

I wonder if Pats fans are all like "he don't want to be here" or "he makes enough money and should do it for the team" or if their accepting players play for money period.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #18
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"There's a short window of opportunity for me to make the type of money that I want to make ..." Wilfork said. "I'm not selling my family short and I'm definitely not selling myself short just to stay back and to win and be part of a great organization"

At least he's honest.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #19
DeuceOfClub

SuperBowl

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Just like I tell my b****es: "Get ready to be slapped"
DeuceOfClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #20
DeusExManning
Ring of Famer

They should change it from Franchise Tag to Franchise Slap
DeusExManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #21
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExShanahan View Post
They already refer to it as slapping the franchise tag on someone
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #22
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Now how in the hell do you know he faked an injury
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #23
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExShanahan View Post
I think they should change it from Franchise Tag to **** ton of money for one season tag. 10 Million dollars for one year? b**** what about my kids? You want them to go hungry?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #24
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Lol that's always been one of my favourite things about Wilfork, he's dirty as ****, including hurting Jay.
Similar to my favorite thing about him. He's a b**** on the field, but you don't hear a thing about him off of it.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #25
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

What did the five fingers say to the potential free agent's face?
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote