The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default OT: CU boosters formulating funding plan

Put this in the college forum but no one goes there right now. Anyway, its encouraging for suffering CU fans. Discuss.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14256203

Paige: CU boosters formulating funding plan
Group eyes $50 million for football but wants a say in athletic department moves
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/24/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Led by a former student "android" who sold soda at CU games, a bunch of multimillionaire Buffs boosters have designed a stealth-style fundraising campaign, the most ambitious ever for the school's athletic department, to make the Colorado football team nationally relevant again.

The goal is $50 million donated by 50 Buffaloes backers ($1 million each) in an attempt to level the playing field against other conference schools, improve the athletic facilities and enable CU to attract top-quality coaches in the future.

In return for its huge investment, the group of Colorado alums/supporters would seek an active advisory role in athletic department decisions.

After talking with four Buffs boosters who are willing to contribute the big bucks, but requested anonymity, I told Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn what I knew, and he acknowledged that the $50 million proposal is a "positive vision" and "viable" and a "good model." But he cautioned that the idea "is in its infancy," and there haven't been official meetings between CU administrators and boosters.

CU's football team has fallen on hard times financially, and fallen hard on the field. The program bleeds red ink, and the team has won only 16 of 49 games (and 10 of 32 in the Big 12) in the past four years, and hasn't won a conference championship and played in a major bowl since the 2001 season.

Colorado doesn't have the resources to be a national-tier Football Bowl Subdivision team annually, but it has won conference championships and co-shared the national title in 1990. Under Bill McCartney and, earlier, Eddie Crowder, the Buffs became consistent winners.

The architect of the $50 million Buff Booster Brigade is George Solich, a former Eisenhower-Evans Scholarship honoree (1983) and a CU graduate with a business degree and a master's.

While in college in Boulder, Solich served as an "android," a term for students who sold soda and beer at the basketball
Post Poll - CU Football

Do you think a booster-initiated plan to raise $50 million for the CU football program in exchange for a say in athletic department moves is a good idea?
Yes, it's about time: The Buffs have to close the gap on the Big 12's big spenders.
No, it's a bad idea: Giving boosters a big say is like having wolves guard the henhouse.
arena.

Solich became a prosperous oil-and-natural gas explorer, corporate executive and president of the Greenwood Village-based Cordillera Energy Partners. He is a low-profile guy, but is a high-end Buffs booster. (I met Solich at the CU-Texas game in Austin last season, but, on Saturday, he declined an interview, saying it's premature to discuss the fundraising plan.)

According to others, Solich has initiated discussions with a number of well-known, well-heeled Colorado boosters, asking for $1 million, and the response has been encouraging.

Solich, whose passion is golf, belongs to Castle Pines Golf Club and is friends with Jack Vickers, the oilman-Castle Pines owner who was CU's foremost financial sponsor for many years and personally was responsible for bringing in ex-football coach Chuck Fairbanks, an experiment that exploded. Vickers hasn't been involved with the athletic department for years, and there's no Buffs sugar booster with his clout since. But Vickers has mentored Solich on matters of raising the ante at CU.

T. Boone Pickens donated more than $170 million to upgrade the Oklahoma State program. Football benefactors at major universities include Nike's Phil Knight, who has given Oregon as much as $70 million, and Bill Laurie, Stan Kroenke's billionaire brother- in-law, who has provided Missouri with at least $30 million.

But the richest football program in the country resides in Austin, where the Longhorns are
Submit Your Question

Post sports columnist Woody Paige fields your questions. Look for Woody's Mailbag on Thursdays.
buttressed by The Billionaire Boys Club, Texans who wear big hats and own cattle.

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds has said a university football program is "better off having a bunch" (of wealthy contributors) because a solo, powerful booster will "try to run" the program.

The late Robert Six, who ran Continental Airlines, once had a similar role with CU (in the Crowder era), regularly presenting significant funds to the department and providing offseason jobs for the players.

Bohn did say that the "loyalty of the $1,000 donor, the season-ticket holder, the students and the alumni who care about this program is just as important as anything else we try to do."

But CU has been damaged by the weak economy, plus a leaking of revenue and support because of the lack of progress by and the controversy surrounding CU football coach Dan Hawkins, who was retained at season's end.

The Solich proposition, when publicized, will receive a mixed bag of reactions in the Republic of Boulder and, specifically, on campus. Many in the CU academic community will question a $50 million fundraising plan for athletics and not the science or business schools. But there has been a strong fundraising effort by new CU president Bruce Benson, and the results can be seen in construction additions at the state-supported university and in monies being delivered to nonsports departments.

The opinions of Benson and CU-Boulder chancellor Phil DiStefano will be critical as the plan moves forward. DiStefano formerly was CU's faculty athletics representative (2000-05), and Benson is a pragmatic CU football fan. But they may be reluctant to sign off on a deal that could allow outside influences on the direction of the athletic department.

If Buffs boosters can step up, Colorado can't take a step back.

All aboard the $50 mil train, CU.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz0dZKGjjuu
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Don't jinx it.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

$50 Million sure would help but so would getting rid of a weak coach who decides to play his weak son at QB.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Snicker
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

If I give them $50 mil, will they fire Hawkins?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:15 AM   #6
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

It's a nice thought. I doubt the polarization of Boulder allows this though. The academic side almost thrives on putting their thumb on the athletic department (football program) and almost seems to be taunting them with that ability and mocking their prideful past.

There needs to be widespread changes to the thinking of what the University wants to do with the football program. Currently it's running at 1/4 of the efficiency and productivity.

Hawkins needs to go and they need some administrators which can rally the state, instead of polarizing it to get behind the primary state University. Outside of California, i've never seen the signature University more reviled.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #7
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

things look dreary in Boulder these days when thinking about the future of Buff football. But when I lived in Louisville in the early 80's, when the team was struggling (1-10 in McCartney's 3rd season) it was the same. No one back then could have predicted the Buffs would win a National Championship six years later.

I do think the Buffs have to get rid of Hawkins - just because McCartney struggled his first three years and eventually turned it around it doesn't mean Hawkins will. The one thing McCartney had going for him was his amazing ability to recruit. Even in the 1-10 1984 season I was hearing good things about recruiting (which led to better years in the mid-80's). The people who follow college recruiting closer than I do say this year's Buff class is Hawkin's weakest and the worst in years. Unlike McCartney, Hawkin's recruiting classes seem to be getting progressively worse, not better.

This season is going to be a lame duck year for Hawkins - bringing him back for another year was a major mistake and delays the rebuilding project by one year.

But I do think there's still potential in Boulder to build a solid program, just like there was potential in McCartney's early years. Increasing the money invested in the program will help (see Neil Woelk's column about that: http://www.buffzone.com/ci_14268267 ). The next coach, like McCartney, has to be a great recruiter.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
It's a nice thought. I doubt the polarization of Boulder allows this though. The academic side almost thrives on putting their thumb on the athletic department (football program) and almost seems to be taunting them with that ability and mocking their prideful past.

There needs to be widespread changes to the thinking of what the University wants to do with the football program. Currently it's running at 1/4 of the efficiency and productivity.

Hawkins needs to go and they need some administrators which can rally the state, instead of polarizing it to get behind the primary state University. Outside of California, i've never seen the signature University more reviled.
How dare academics take precedent at a learning institution! The GALL!

I think it can happen. The Republic of Boulder can't really say much if these donors are giving money specifically to the athletics program. I know Solich personally and... let's just say he usually gets what he wants.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
How dare academics take precedent at a learning institution! The GALL!

I think it can happen. The Republic of Boulder can't really say much if these donors are giving money specifically to the athletics program. I know Solich personally and... let's just say he usually gets what he wants.
It's not even about that. Nobody is stating lowering admission standards to help our recruiting, even though that would be a big boost for the program.

It's more about the polarization by the academic side of the University in which it almost seems joyous at the failure of CU athletics and participates in trying to minimize them vs. working to make it the best possible University it can be. Like it or not, Academics and Athletics feed into each other. Break that down how you want to, but it's true. You wouldn't get that feeling though if you were talk with either side currently.

IMO, this is particularly stupid but thats what some of these eggheads are all about.

It's been speculated that the money was in place to by out Hawkins contract. Distephano and and the AD were on board, but Benson, the president over-ruled it. This money was coming from private donors for the program, much like this article points to. Benson put the ka-bosh on private donors putting money towards the buy-out of the contract and said if they want to donate money, they can choose to do so donating it towards educational programs. They subsequently pulled their money off the table.

This is just the current sign of how f'd up the whole situation is, so it can't really be a surprise that CU is the laughing stock of the big 12 right now and failing on the field. One part is Hawkins... he's garbage. The other part is the University failure to commit to the program.

Last edited by bpc; 01-27-2010 at 08:02 AM..
Old 01-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I think it's a great idea and I hope it comes to fruition. The peoples republic of boulder will support a winning team just like they did under McCartney and the state of Colorado will support the Buffs if they are winning.

Its really sad that CU's football program has fallen on such hard times. It could be a major source of revenu for the entire university but instead, the morons at CU pride themselves on how whacky their professors are instead of how good their athletic programs are.

I swear, growing up in Colorado and watching CU Boulder do stupid crap after stupid crap gets really frustrating after a while... the citizens of Colorado should all unite and run the idiot faculty and administrators out of CU.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I think it's a great idea and I hope it comes to fruition. The peoples republic of boulder will support a winning team just like they did under McCartney and the state of Colorado will support the Buffs if they are winning.

Its really sad that CU's football program has fallen on such hard times. It could be a major source of revenu for the entire university but instead, the morons at CU pride themselves on how whacky their professors are instead of how good their athletic programs are.

I swear, growing up in Colorado and watching CU Boulder do stupid crap after stupid crap gets really frustrating after a while... the citizens of Colorado should all unite and run the idiot faculty and administrators out of CU.
First thing they need to do is get the Buffs on local TV. Until that happens no one will care.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I say CU should give the academics at Boulder their ultimate victory: Close down the football program for good. Then, after a couple of years of living with dwindling funding, maybe they'll change their tune? Of course, Marxists don't really believe in anything that is merit-based, do they?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
Meck77
Google Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
the citizens of Colorado should all unite and run the idiot faculty and administrators out of CU.
Woah there RJ.

Some of us could care less about CU and Boulder in general. I actually got a kick out of the coach appointing his sorry ass son at QB and the chicken **** admin basically admitting they couldn't afford to fire him.

Down with CU.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Like I said, I've never seen a state have more contempt for their primary University vs. Colorado. For some reason, the population just wants to watch them fail.

I've been to Hawaii, Georgia, Washington, Oregon, Missouri, Tennessee, Kansas, Iowa, and a host of other states. All actively support their Universities to the utmost degree. Even the states with two or more schools, the people ardently support them.

Not in Colorado though. It's like they take pleasure in its failure and actively root for it. (See Meck's post).

Unfortunately one of the drawbacks of such a beautiful state is it draws lots of transient types that could give two $hits about the actual wel-fare of the state (including the University) now that they've completed their education somewhere else, worked their way up professional ladder and were lucky enough to get offered a job in CO.

I think the carelessness of the transferred locals towards the University can also be attributed to the soullessness of the fans that now inhabit the Broncos stands as well.

Colorado needs to stand for something and if you think their isn't a correlation between the two (Broncos and Buffs, the fans, the atmosphere), you're fooling yourself.

Hopefully the people start to grasp it. Sooner vs. later.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #15
Meck77
Google Blows

Quote:
Like I said, I've never seen a state have more contempt for their primary University vs. Colorado. For some reason, the population just wants to watch them fail.

I've been to Hawaii, Georgia, Washington, Oregon, Missouri, Tennessee, Kansas, Iowa, and a host of other states. All actively support their Universities to the utmost degree. Even the states with two or more schools, the people ardently support them.

Not in Colorado though. It's like they take pleasure in its failure and actively root for it. (See Meck's post).

Unfortunately one of the drawbacks of such a beautiful state is it draws lots of transient types that could give two $hits about the actual wel-fare of the state (including the University) now that they've completed their education somewhere else, worked their way up professional ladder and were lucky enough to get offered a job in CO.

I think the carelessness of the transferred locals towards the University can also be attributed to the soullessness of the fans that now inhabit the Broncos stands as well.

Colorado needs to stand for something and if you think their isn't a correlation between the two (Broncos and Buffs, the fans, the atmosphere), you're fooling yourself.

Hopefully the people start to grasp it. Sooner vs. later.
Transient types? I'm from Colorado and live in Colorado.

I just don't support the people's republic of Boulder or anything to do with them. If you lived here or were from here you'd understand my point. Carry on.

CSU...Well that's another story.

Last edited by Meck77; 01-27-2010 at 09:42 AM..
Old 01-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Transient types? I'm from Colorado and live in Colorado.

I just don't support the people's republic of Boulder or anything to do with them. If you lived here you'd understand my point. Carry on.
And that's exactly the problem. There's a gap between you and them for whatever reason.

The community is divided up too much. Where's the state pride? That's one of my biggest problems with Colorado. It needs to develop and get it's identity back. Things run hand in hand. Community pride, professional team, state university, recreation, etc, etc. All these things should be running together to make a tighter knit community.

Instead it is, what it is. People from the western slope hate the front range, people from Denver can't stand people from Boulder, and on and on.

I hear the exact same crap from my cousins over there all the time. It's pretty pathetic.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #17
Meck77
Google Blows

Quote:
And that's exactly the problem. There's a gap between you and them for whatever reason.

The community is divided up too much. Where's the state pride? That's one of my biggest problems with Colorado. It needs to develop and get it's identity back. Things run hand in hand. Community pride, professional team, state university, recreation, etc, etc. All these things should be running together to make a tighter knit community.

Instead it is, what it is. People from the western slope hate the front range, people from Denver can't stand people from Boulder, and on and on.

I hear the exact same crap from my cousins over there all the time. It's pretty pathetic.
Well if you lived here you'd understand. Boulder is it's own country. They have isolated themselves by design.

The front range/western slope phenomena is probably more a geographical barrier. We have the continental divide essentially splitting the state. Along with that come the water wars.

The one uniting factor we do have in Colorado is the Broncos. Well not even that really because this state has been overrun with Californians.

It's just not the way it was back when I was a kid but many of us still hold our ranching/farming history, beautiful mountains, and Broncos close to our hearts.

CU is just another organization that seems to find itself wrapped up in scandal and controversy. Sad but that's just the way it is.

Besides many states love their in state football rivalries. It's fun! Go CSU!

Last edited by Meck77; 01-27-2010 at 10:02 AM..
Old 01-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

CU is now suffering from it's own mismanagment and long term objectives of bringing in out-of-state students rather than catering to it's in-state population. IMHO, there is an an underlying agenda at CU to bring in out of state kids because of the tuition revenue they bring in and to make in state kids second class citizens. A state university will not garner any support from the locals with that kind of agenda!

I'd love to see CSU become the dominant in state school when it comes to athletics. If the Mountain West can become a BSC conference, it could mean a whole new era for CSU football.

I'm a CSU alum and IF I had the money, I'd do a Boon Pickens for CSU and put about $100m into their athletic program. I'd tear down Moby Arena and build a new, better Arena where the football team could also play. I'd then have the immediate campus around CSU and the local businesses around the campus all benefitting immensly from the new athletic facility.

But, that's just me...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #19
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

How about we fire Hawkins n bring back Eric Bienemy to run our program .
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #20
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

[QUOTE=Meck77;2733216]Transient types? I'm from Colorado and live in Colorado.

I just don't support the people's republic of Boulder or anything to do with them. If you lived here or were from here you'd understand my point. Carry on.

CSU...Well that's another story.[/QUOTE]

Ya they will always be the little brother...no matter how much turmoil CU faces, they will still rank higher than CSU and that is just the truth.
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #21
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

For a state school, CU is also wickedly, madly expensive. I'm looking at law school and it's more expensive to go in-state to CU than it is to go out of state to several other options in the mountain West. Ridiculous.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #22
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Well if you lived here you'd understand. Boulder is it's own country. They have isolated themselves by design.
This is not true. I have found that people on the western slope are bigger fans of CU than in the Metro. What the football team has to do with state politics I have no idea.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #23
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Well, me personally, I hate Boulder, I hate CU academics, I hate just about everything surrounding Boulder, especially the dirty hippies, but CU athletics is what is stuck with me. In all reality I should be an Air Force fan (enlisted instead of going to college), but CU, McCartney, Hagan, Bienemy, Flanigan, Hudson, McGhee, Salaam, etc. are what I fell in love with as a kid. And Nebraska is what I grew to hate, almost as bad as the raiders. Cant just dump em. No matter how F'ed up they are, they are Colorado. And go CSU when they arent playing CU.

Just hope this fundraising plan works, we get around 50 mil, or better yet had a T. Boone to inject $170 mil (even better if it were oil money), get the facilities state of the art and kick some ass.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #24
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
This is not true. I have found that people on the western slope are bigger fans of CU than in the Metro. What the football team has to do with state politics I have no idea.
Nothing, and Boulder is a great town. But hey, the more people who harbor an irrational hatred for an entire city and stay away, less crowds for the rest of us.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #25
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Getting rid of Boulder County District Attorneys with a hard-on against Athletics would help a lot.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote