The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 03:38 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Q&A: Orton likely needs big year in 2010 to get big contract

Q&A: Orton likely needs big year in 2010 to get big contract

broncos premium

By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

Posted: 01/26/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Today's question about the Broncos comes from Dennis Smythe.

Q: Will the Broncos sign quarterback Kyle Orton to a long-term deal or will they simply tender him for a year in 2010? You and many of your colleagues have argued that it is difficult to win without an above-average QB, and I find it hard to believe that Broncos coach Josh McDaniels thinks he can win an NFL championship with Orton.

A: Dennis, unless something changes, the expectation is that the Broncos will try to figure out what they can work out with Elvis Dumervil, the league leader in sacks this season, as a first priority. It's almost a given that Dumervil will receive an offer sheet from another team if the Broncos don't respond first, and that Orton will get a one-year tender offer from Denver.

I know a lot of fans have made their minds up about Orton. There is plenty of history to suggest that he has worked in offenses that don't stretch the field and struggle to score from time to time, that he avoids mistakes above all else and will rarely make throws that carry some risk but also bring the reward of big plays.

Orton also has done exactly what his coaches have told him to do. Unlike some quarterbacks, he doesn't simply check out of plays he doesn't like.

But there are plenty of football people who believe he could probably do more if an offense would let him. He has showed plenty of arm in his NFL career, the last two passes against the Oakland Raiders at Invesco Field at Mile High being prime examples. He likely could push the ball down the field more if he were in an offense that was more balanced and with people who were more willing to let him try.

After seeing Orton in practice, he has plenty of arm strength. But it's inconsistent. He can wing the ball, but his deep ball will come up short on many plays.

If I were looking at Orton without any knowledge about his history, I would say that shows he's aiming the ball, fearing the mistake, so he short-arms the ball instead of completing the throw.

Enough arm strength is there, but Orton's deep ball is not always accurate. The quarterbacks who throw the deep ball well have great arms, but they also have the confidence to let it fly and finish their follow-throughs.

Orton has played for two NFL head coaches — Chicago's Lovie Smith and Denver's McDaniels — who have drilled him above all else not to make mistakes. So he's going to play that way. Nobody wants to make mistakes, but there is playing to avoid mistakes and there is playing to make plays.

Orton has spent his NFL career playing not to make mistakes. He has followed directions and done what he has been told.

Like most players, Orton would like a long-term contract. He has said he would like to buy a house somewhere and settle in, but he's probably going to need a big season in 2010 to get a long-term deal in Denver or someplace else.

There are never enough quality quarterbacks to fill the jobs in the league, but Orton seems to be one of those players who's going to need someone to believe in him in the short term, to let him play with more freedom, to get something done over the long term.

And if or when he's presented with opportunities to let the ball fly — however few they may be — Orton has to take advantage of each one.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14265480
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
He has showed plenty of arm in his NFL career, the last two passes against the Oakland Raiders at Invesco Field at Mile High being prime examples.

What about the other 32 attempts?

Did the author not see the one he threw 3 feet behind to Lamont Jordan on the previous drive or the one Marshall had to snare while falling down earlier?
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #3
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I hope they go this route. I would hate to see him signed long term based on what we have seen so far. Of course, that is only if he is asking for a lot.

We did let him air it out all day against the Chiefs. When that happened, he threw two pick sixes. Maybe there is a reason all of his coaches make him play extremely conservative.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

I think that is pretty much exactly the case (the article). After another year, and offseason, in the system, not only will Orton have a lot more confidence, but also McD will open up the attack. I think next year's O is going to be like night and day compared to this year's.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I don't think anyone would disagree with that article. He'll get franchised, or given a one-two year deal, and we'll draft another developmental prospect. /shrug

Seems like that's been the plan all along.

And yes, he can wing it just fine. Does need more confidence, but that comes from play calling, reps, and knowing an offense.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Maybe we can get Bradford.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
I don't think anyone would disagree with that article. He'll get franchised, or given a one-two year deal, and we'll draft another developmental prospect. /shrug

Seems like that's been the plan all along.

And yes, he can wing it just fine. Does need more confidence, but that comes from play calling, reps, and knowing an offense.
definitely not franchised we are NOT going to pay Orton top 5 QB money for 1 year. He will get tendered
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

He wont get franchised that would mean a huge contract.

1 year tender and see what he does.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
I think that is pretty much exactly the case (the article). After another year, and offseason, in the system, not only will Orton have a lot more confidence, but also McD will open up the attack. I think next year's O is going to be like night and day compared to this year's.
i agree. i am looking at this season as an intoduction by McDaniels. he came in got things situated in a way he preferred and was getting just the basics in place, now with another full offseason to work with the offense will take a big step forward as players gain more experience in the system and players who better fit that system are brought in to improve our weaknesses.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post

What about the other 32 attempts?

Did the author not see the one he threw 3 feet behind to Lamont Jordan on the previous drive or the one Marshall had to snare while falling down earlier?
And that somehow eliminates his ability to throw as far as he threw those other two passes?

Reading comprehension is a good thing.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote