The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Default Victory for Elway

Everyone knows Elway could of played 2 or 3 more years if he wanted to, he would of still held many records if he did, but he didn't he went out on top after winning his second Superbowl in a row, something Favre wishes he could of done Favre would have done the same s**t if he was fortunate enough to win a Superbowl at age 37 or 38.

I have a lot of respect for Favre and I think hes great and I would have maybe thought about saying he might go down as a better QB than Elway if he won another Superbowl and went out on top, but he obviously can't do that so I have a hard time even thinking about saying it and I feel bad as a Broncos fan for even thinking that way now especially since Elway beat Favre when Favre was in his prime.

Elway is the GOAT and only QB that can take that from him might be Peyton Manning but until than.

KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

I don't think he could have played another 2-3 years as you say...he was physically beat up pretty bad.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
I don't think he could have played another 2-3 years as you say...he was physically beat up pretty bad.
No kidding, I saw him a couple of days ago and he still has difficulty walking.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Elway is da' man.
The best pure throwback QB ever to play the game. Best of bests!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Meck77

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One of the best days.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Yep. It's awesome how things worked out and they he got to go out in the best way possible, but previous to the 96 season I've read he thought his career might be over because of a really bad injury (either an elbow or knee as I remember). We saw in that last season where Brister had to start a few games that the end was near.

As much as I got sick of the Favre love, his durability and ability to play at this level for so long is astounding. I thought he was washed up toward the end of his GB career, and then he almost took them to the Super Bowl. Thought he was washed up after burning out in the second half of last year in NY, but then he has a great year in Minnesota. I think his level of play this year has shown he was absolutely right that he had some games left in him.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Elway's body was shot. He said so himself in his retirement speech.

The guy was such a competitor and had a real shot at winning 3 in a row. If his body would have been able to give him the opportunity to accomplish something never before accomplished, I don't see an ultra competitive guy like Elway just walk away from that.

If he was only worried about winning a championship to validate his career and wanting to go out on top, he would have retired after the first one.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

The football gods work in mysterious ways...
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
yea i agree. I remember he walked around with a limp during that 1998 season.
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
No kidding, I saw him a couple of days ago and he still has difficulty walking.

It is sad to see...but that's what happens when you carry a franchise and City on your shoulders for almost 2 decades.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
7 4ever
Pro Bowler

Favre had the luxury of playing half of his career in a league that over-protects QBs, Elway did not. With that being said, it still amazes me Favre's durability - dude still looks great, much better than the duke looked at the end of his career and will go out of the league in the top 5 of all time IMHO.

John Elway is and will always be number one for those of us, Broncos fans, who were fortunate enough to follow his career...I am sure that the horn heads would have killed to have the duke calling the shots on the field with the game on the line deep in the 4th quarter...damn I miss ol' #7
7 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think Denver could have steamed rolled the Rams in Super Bowl 34. That team wasn't tough. TD would have obliterated that defense and we would have held a distinct time of possession advantage over the Rams.

St. Louis would have scored some points on us but our defense was opportunistic enough to come away with some sacks and TO's. I imagine we would have won by 10 pts or so. 34-24 maybe.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

If only Favre got to play quarterbacks like Grbac, Stewart and Chandler...
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:23 PM   #14
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Bob is fishing hard...
Old 01-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Love John, obviously, think he's a top 5 QB of all time. But i honestly think Peyton Manning deserves the top spot and, when his career is over, i'm fairly certain everyone will agree with me. In my 27 years or so of watching football, I've just never seen a QB command a game like he has. The guy simply wins football games while consistently doing incredible things, regardless of who his supporting cast is.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #16
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Bob is fishing hard...
It's true, though.

Brunell, Grbac and Stewart is a pretty pathetic trio of "playoff" quarterbacks for Elway to "best" on the way to his first championship. Granted he did well in besting Favre.

How about playing in an AFC Championship game against Vinny freakin' Testaverde before drawing Glass Chandler in the Super Bowl?
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #17
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There should almost be an asterisk next the QB stats now days because of the way they protect the QB. Favre has played in both era's but Manning, Brady, etc... are barely aloud to be touched. Those guys are going to play into their 40's if they choose to and will rewrite the record books. Pass Interferences are called more frequently now too resulting in more scoring opportunities and extended drives. It has to be almost annoying to be a DB in today's NFL. Elway will be a TOP 5 QB for a long time but he already has Montana, Marino, Favre to deal with and Brady and Manning are going to blow him away statistically. It use to mean something for a QB to reach 3000 plus yards with over 25 some TD passes. Now 3000 yards is a down season and there QB's always over the 30's in TD passes. Over a 15 year career that is really going to affect comparing statistics.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:10 AM   #18
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Elway maybe had one tough year ahead of him. He had the line to protect him at least. To say he had more than that doesnt know what he went through. Sure he could have gutted out one more year but he won two in a row and he went out on top. I have no problems with it but there is always that "what if" factor. Hey, 2 superbowl wins, I dont need to be greedy.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:26 AM   #19
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Doesn't matter. I've watched most of Favre and Elways careers and I honestly think Manning will not only end up being better than them but he just might go down as the best in NFL history, especially if he gets his second ring. The guy is everything you would want in a QB.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:34 AM   #20
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
It's true, though.

Brunell, Grbac and Stewart is a pretty pathetic trio of "playoff" quarterbacks for Elway to "best" on the way to his first championship. Granted he did well in besting Favre.

How about playing in an AFC Championship game against Vinny freakin' Testaverde before drawing Glass Chandler in the Super Bowl?
Keep fishing...

It's not the Broncos fault for dominating the NFL and the fact other teams couldn't match up against the Broncos.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:36 AM   #21
yavoon
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 4ever View Post
Favre had the luxury of playing half of his career in a league that over-protects QBs, Elway did not. With that being said, it still amazes me Favre's durability - dude still looks great, much better than the duke looked at the end of his career and will go out of the league in the top 5 of all time IMHO.

John Elway is and will always be number one for those of us, Broncos fans, who were fortunate enough to follow his career...I am sure that the horn heads would have killed to have the duke calling the shots on the field with the game on the line deep in the 4th quarter...damn I miss ol' #7
elway wouldn't have been overly protected, you only get protection if you act like a qb. if you start doing rb things, the protection diminishes significantly.
yavoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:44 AM   #22
extralife
Ring of Famer

it is true, though, that the number of good to great quarterbacks these days is much higher than perhaps at any other point in history, much less the late 90's.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:21 AM   #23
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

I respect Manning & Favre but they are not Elway. I highly doubt that they could have carried those first three teams to the Superbowl the way that John did.

John Madden "This is the closest thing to a One Man Show (Elway) that I've ever seen in the NFL"

Any doubts watch 4:53 - 5:20 on that hightlight clip....

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 01-25-2010 at 04:32 AM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #24
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Elway didn't really get to turn it loose outside of 1987 and 1993-98.

There's no telling how many more games and championships he would've won.

Not to mention the stats.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #25
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Man, watching those videos of the Superbowls and John's retirement speech...hell, I'm all choked up. I miss that ol' workhorse...I REALLY do.
orangeatheist is offline   Reply With Quote