The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Can the Broncos possibly get better by trading Brandon Marshall?
Yes 39 58.21%
No 28 41.79%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Talent vs. Character: Could trading Marshall be addition by subtraction?

I thought about this based on some comments in other threads along the line of "You don't get better by trading a guy with three 100 catch seasons," while others have pointed to the Cowboys losing Owens and finally winning a playoff game.

So I ask, IS IT POSSIBLE that the Broncos could become a better team by getting rid of Marshall? Some possible arguments:

Yes: Everybody in the NFL has some talent and it's the club with better chemistry that work as a team that win. By ridding themselves of Marshall (and presumably Scheffler), the Broncos no longer have any divas on their roster and take the field with 53 guys who don't care about their stats or roles on the team. A squad that cares about nothing else but winning could make the Broncos better. Also, without the need of feeling the ball has to be fed into Marshall, Orton (or any other Broncos QB) could relax and spread the ball around. No more distractions, just football.

No: At the end of the day, talent rules all. He is one of, if not the best, WR in all of football and a guy that defenses have to account for on every play. He was a monster in this offense catching over 100 balls and 10 touchdowns. The rest of the WRs may be nice guys but none of them could do that and the offense would sorely suffer without him. Whether Marshall is a problem child or not, he's the only guy on this team that opponents have to gameplan for. The teams with the best players win and he's one of the team's best players - you have to do whatever you need to accomodate him. Preferental treatment, paying him big money, dealing with off-field or locker room issues - the guy is simply too good to let him go and there is no possible the way the Broncos lose him and don't get worse.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Depends on what you get in return.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Depends on what you get in return.
Exactly. I like BMarsh, I've been a proponent of his, but it seems that he's on his way out. If we give him up for nothing, I don't care how bad his attitude is we will not get better. But if we score well on the trade, then I'm sure we can get better.

Part of the problem will also be we will most likely get draft picks, and you have to give them 2-3 years to develop, etc.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
TheDave
Sauced...

Addition by subtraction... no, he is too talented and productive for that too happen.

On the other hand if we could get significant compensation for his production then... maybe.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

6'5'' 240 pound WR's don't come around very often. He was the only player on offense that teams had to worry about.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Exactly. I like BMarsh, I've been a proponent of his, but it seems that he's on his way out. If we give him up for nothing, I don't care how bad his attitude is we will not get better. But if we score well on the trade, then I'm sure we can get better.

Part of the problem will also be we will most likely get draft picks, and you have to give them 2-3 years to develop, etc.
if we got dez bryant, thats addition. hes being compared to andre johnson.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I vote yes. While I'd hoped for Marshall to stay, his bailing on the team at the end of the season was the last straw for me. Not to mention how he'll act once he gets his millions.

Get fair value for him and keep rebuilding. It seems like a lot of folks here seem to forget that we are rebuilding.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
I don't follow college ball enough to know who is good and who isn't... That said, if Dez Bryant was even in the vicinity of Andre Johnson, then I fully agree we'd be just as good if not better.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

No divide by zero option?
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

The other problem with a question like this is the offense has a lot of moving parts. Tom Brady proved you don't need a superstar WR to win Super Bowls. A great QB can make WRs look good. Pierre Garcon killed it today with Peyton throwing his way.

If we could get a legit QB (you all know my thoughts on Orton...) then we may not need BMarsh either way.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Everything is possible, hypothetically we could get the next Jerry Rice or Peyton Manning.

Here is how I look at it, how many players in the league today are better than Marshall at any position? 100? 200? Lets just assume for a minute that every team has 4 players regardless of position who are better than Marshall in some way. That is about 120 players for the league.

Considering all 32 teams have 80 players on the roster during the offseason, that is about 1/20 which is 5%. That is about where I would put the chances that we can improve by getting rid of Marshall. In the last 10 drafts, we have only drafted 2 players you could realistically say are better than Marshall, Clady and Dumervil - but some other teams have done better.

To me the odds are heavily in favour of us not improving by getting rid of Marshall, it will take a strong mix of luck and scouting above and beyond what we have displayed lately to improve.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
I don't follow college ball enough to know who is good and who isn't... That said, if Dez Bryant was even in the vicinity of Andre Johnson, then I fully agree we'd be just as good if not better.
he not. He closer to Crabtree then Johnson. He doesn't have the vertical speed that Johnson does. He is a very good player but he not a top 5 player like Johnson was coming out of UM.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Dude living here in OK, Bryant is a headcase as well
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

So, let's get this straight. The team couldn't find a role for Royal, but there is an expectation of getting a rookie to replace Mashall right away. Good luck with that.
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #15
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by scttgrd View Post
So, let's get this straight. The team couldn't find a role for Royal, but there is an expectation of getting a rookie to replace Mashall right away. Good luck with that.
Eddie has a pretty unique skillset, with his size it's sometimes limits what he can actually do.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #16
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Eddie has a pretty unique skillset, with his size it's sometimes limits what he can actually do.
So if you are an offensive genius you figure out how to get that kind of guy the ball. That sort of dropoff in production is not an endorsement of the offensive ccodinator.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #17
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
he not. He closer to Crabtree then Johnson. He doesn't have the vertical speed that Johnson does. He is a very good player but he not a top 5 player like Johnson was coming out of UM.
ive read 2 scouts who said his skillset is very similar to andre johnson, and also said he is better than crabtree coming out.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #18
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Quote:
ive read 2 scouts who said his skillset is very similar to andre johnson, and also said he is better than crabtree coming out.
We also heard from you how McDaniels was taking the Broncos to the playoffs. How did that turn out?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #19
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by scttgrd View Post
We also heard from you how McDaniels was taking the Broncos to the playoffs. How di that turn out?
curious what this has to do with dez bryant, or really anything in general? i never predicted playoffs preseason because too much stuff was changing, but i never cried about teh team being relocated because cutler is gone either.

sorry i support the team, ill try not to in the future.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #20
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

anyway, hes what the twitter ex-scout said:

RT @jonnyj20: is Andre Johnson the best comparison for Dez Bryant?> I have used that comparison... body types are almost identical

andre may be the best in the NFL so we cant say hes that good obviously but if he has a chance, its worth looking into.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #21
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Royal can't do much of anything when he's not targeted.

There's just no excuse for not looking his way.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #22
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Royal can't do much of anything when he's not targeted.
How are you supposed to target a small speed wr, if your QB can't throw it effectively downfield, because he has no time, and he doesn't have the most powerful arm, to hit him deep? Eddie isn't an exceptional option over the middle due to his size.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #23
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Quote:
curious what this has to do with dez bryant, or really anything in general? i never predicted playoffs preseason because too much stuff was changing, but i never cried about teh team being relocated because cutler is gone either.

sorry i support the team, ill try not to in the future.
If you can't get a proven NFL reciever the ball, how can you project a rookies succes? Is it that hard for you too figure out. Sorry, forgot for a minute who I was talking too. Damn your a laugh riot.

As far as moving the team? Wow, talk about coming out of crazy field. Get it together man.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #24
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
How are you supposed to target a small speed wr, if your QB can't throw it effectively downfield, because he has no time, and he doesn't have the most powerful arm, to hit him deep? Eddie isn't an exceptional option over the middle due to his size.
You left out the QB can also only make one read.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #25
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

glad to see a really solid question/thread submarined by the same morons arguing
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote