The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points
Default OT: Board Help...Moving to LA

Hey West Coast Maners,

Recently I was fired from my job (or laid off, whatever) and I'm packing up my stuff within the next month or so and heading out West. Going to be looking at places in the next few weeks and would like to know:

1) What is too far away from LA in order to commute...I know traffic sucks but anything over an hour and a half (with traffic) would be too far for me. How about Torrance??

2) Moving out with a girl who wants to "go green" and sell her car before we go out there. Is this possible? She is a fitness instructor and bartends so what areas would be walking/riding a bike type areas for those jobs and not too far from dowtown LA?

3) Areas that I should definitely stay away from? I've seen Boyz in the Hood and I don't run really fast. I've been beaten up dozens of times and stabbed once but I really don't want to be shot....

4) Price range for a One Bedroom? Plus I have a dumbass dog....pet friendly areas? With beach access??

Thanks for any help guys
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

cmon.....I know there are some people from LA out there...

Bueller?? Bueller??
Old 01-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Why do you need to be near downtown?
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
Why do you need to be near downtown?
more than likely getting a job there...commuting into NYC everyday I'm not really that scared of the LA commute...but I would like to avoid leaving my house at 5:30 and getting home at 7:00.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

I'm not sure what your range is but El segundo sounds great fow what you want. Your girl can ride her bike to manhatten beach or redondo or hermosa and if she's a looked she could get work anywhere there or even in gundo. You are close to the beach and there is a park and ride to the only good public transportaion in the city "the metrail" that will take you to downtown. It's around 1200 for a decent place.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Also I'm on my iPod and I can't type very well... I meant if your girl is a looker
Old 01-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

I believe the train takes about 45 to an hour for the commute. I could be wrong though. You can look that up if you want
Old 01-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
Also I'm on my iPod and I can't type very well... I meant if your girl is a looker
thanks dude....I'm happy you didnt write "hooker"

I'll look into there...that would be a nice setup...I just have no idea whats considered "close"...because in Jersey you can be 20 minutes away from your destination and it will take an hour.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post

1) What is too far away from LA in order to commute...I know traffic sucks but anything over an hour and a half (with traffic) would be too far for me. How about Torrance??
Torrance is above average place to live. Not bad, long as your west of town and your not that far from the beaches and LA.

Might want to check out Calabasas, Burbank, Glendale.

Quote:
2) Moving out with a girl who wants to "go green" and sell her car before we go out there. Is this possible? She is a fitness instructor and bartends so what areas would be walking/riding a bike type areas for those jobs and not too far from dowtown LA?
The job situation in LA sucks, I think like 12 percent or higher Unemployment rates.

It's possible that you won't need a car, there is the Metro Rail that she can take to work.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...c._2009%29.png

However let me warn you that that gets very crowded in the mornings and after work hours. I wish they would expand these services (like RTD is doing) but with urban sprawl, there's virtually no room and there's also zero funds for it.

Quote:
3) Areas that I should definitely stay away from? I've seen Boyz in the Hood and I don't run really fast. I've been beaten up dozens of times and stabbed once but I really don't want to be shot....
They are spread out, but the usual areas...East LA, South Central, Compton.

Quote:
4) Price range for a One Bedroom? Plus I have a dumbass dog....pet friendly areas? With beach access??
Price range for THAT, is probably the equivalent of making a mortgage payment on a very nice house in Colorado.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

1. Torrance would be a fairly lengthy commute, unless you're working in the south bay.

When you say "far from LA," keep in mind LA is huge. Do you know where you're working?

2. LA is a tough place to be without a car. The exception could be if you lived someplace like Santa Monica or West Hollywood, assuming you worked in that area.

3. Plenty of places to avoid. Let us know what areas you're thinking of. Champ mentioned some nice neighborhoods. I'm in Burbank, which is great... at least for me, since I work in the industry.

4. Beach areas are ridiculously expensive. You can find them, but the more affordable ones will be in places like Venice, which are sketchy, imo.

Price range in other, non-beach areas would probably be $1200-$1800 a month for a decent 1 bdr. That's just a guess. You can probably do a bit better. Times are tough for landlords, too. Plenty of places allow dogs.

Feel free to post more questions or PM me, Vance.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

I know if I was in Cali I'd be aiming for Burbank (Popps area) or Irvine.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

thanks guys....as I get further along in the process I will be posting more questions and shooting some PMs....

the cost of living seems to be on par with the NYC metro area so I won't be blown away by anything...its nice to hear the input though when it comes to the rail system and commuting...
Old 01-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Avoid the Valley if you can. The weather there sucks compared to the rest of LA. There is some affordable stuff in Santa Monica/Venice...you just have to live inland away from the beach. I'd recommend living there over anywhere else in LA. Expect to pay at least $1000 a month in rent, and that's for a good deal.

You can't live in LA without a car. Sure, you could get lucky and find a place and a job where you get take a bus, but you need a car to do anything or go anywhere. LA is very spread out, and mass transit is terrible. You need a car.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

We lived in Los Alamitos back in the early 90's and a 2 bedroom apartment was about $800 /mo.

I used to ride my bike to work at Long Beach City College. Traffic sucked and like everyone else we scheduled our trips around the high traffic times. My wife had an aunt that lived in West Hollywood we would visit often. Leave early in the morning to get a light traffic ride to her place and return late afternoon and get stuck in traffic.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Los Angeles in HUGE...gotta be a bit more specific. Check out the valley... it's LA County (Burbank, Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys, Winnetka, West Hills, Canoga Park, etc). It's a bit north west of Los Angeles city but there's still traffic if you need to be in Los Angeles city.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

1st thing to do is find out where you are going to work before planning anything else. Your lady can work in any town if she is a trainer,bar tender or hooker You on the other hand do not want to be driving the 101 or 405 freeways during rush hour.... which is 6:30am-7:00pm. I have to drive alot in my business and it flat out sucks. I no longer have any idea what rents will run you, But that is going to be totally based on location. Hoods start at 600-800, While Beverly Hills or Mailbu can run to $2500+

Next year, we can show you the local hang outs to watch the Bronco games.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #17
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

1) you are moving with GIRL--BIG MISTAKE

2) you are moving TO CALIFORNIA--2nd big mistake--a horrible cost of living, dying infracstructure , huge budget deficits and companies moving out every month..

good luck and can't wait for your thread in 6 months about moving back to NJ.

Last edited by broncofan7; 01-24-2010 at 03:14 PM..
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #18
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post

2) you are moving TO CALIFORNIA--2nd big mistake--a horrible cost of living, dying infracstructure , huge budget deficits and companies moving out every month..

nice to see that you are consistent in your message board drivel....I compliment you on that

.horrible cost of living, huge budget deficits and companies going under sounds like someplace i know of....oh yea, NEW JERSEY

i wont even comment on the girl thing because believe it or not there are people who actually move in with people from the other sex....(gasp)....i know its crazy to think about
Old 01-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Hey West Coast Maners,

Recently I was fired from my job (or laid off, whatever) and I'm packing up my stuff within the next month or so and heading out West. Going to be looking at places in the next few weeks and would like to know:

Thanks for any help guys
How about my town bro? Long Beach California. About 45 minutes no traffic, up to 2 hours if traffic bad. Metrolink right to downtown can be used and it works well. It goes from DT Long Beach to Downtown LA.

We have a bunch of cool beach areas like Belmont (parts of it are gay people but they are totally cool, its no biggie) Then you have tons of areas by Long Beach State college and the small Long Beach airport where I live. All good areas with low crime and affordable places to live.

Check out Craigslist for places around Long Beach, Torrance, even parts of Redondo Beach in the Southbay, closer to LA, are pretty affordable and nice if you don't go right by the beach etc. Long Beach cheaper though.

Lot's of people into fitness in so calif and tons of places to go run on beach in Long Beach and the Southbay. Lot's of bars downtown Long Beach, 2nd street Belmont Shore, then of course tons around Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach. But the further you go into the Southbay, the less freeway access you have.

Good luck man I hope calif treats you as well as it has my family. We love it here.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #20
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:

Well, good to know that "3 months" lasted about a week. Time sure flies!
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #21
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
nice to see that you are consistent in your message board drivel....I compliment you on that

.horrible cost of living, huge budget deficits and companies going under sounds like someplace i know of....oh yea, NEW JERSEY

i wont even comment on the girl thing because believe it or not there are people who actually move in with people from the other sex....(gasp)....i know its crazy to think about

So move to a state who has remained stable throughout this economic crisis--someplace like, I don't know? TEXAS

The girl part--BAD, BAD move, platonic or not.......

edit: and cali is more over priced than NJ...it's sad to see that someone's inability to use logic and reason spreads outside of this msg board and into their real lives as well...........

Last edited by broncofan7; 01-24-2010 at 03:29 PM..
Old 01-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #22
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Well, good to know that "3 months" lasted about a week. Time sure flies!
Well, PACO did say I had no integrity--so I obliged him.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:

He wasn't really asking for your advice on that but whatever. It is expensive to live in California but its sort of blownup. My cousins rent in Colo Springs only about 550 a month less then me. Big deal I make 40 grand more a yr then him.

Southern California has lots of funs things to do and great weather to do it in. We have beaches and snow skiing within a 2 hour drive on each other. Great places to go camp in the Sierras, Las Vegas driving distance, and if his girl leaves him we have tons of hot women.

Sure we have some problems right now but only because California is the leading indicator for the country. When things good they are very good. When things bad they are very bad. Once economy of country picks up Californias agriculture and ports will start going off again.

Long Beach just found a new pocket of oil that will mean 100 million a yr for the city for like 30 yrs. Thats 100 million straight to the city. It's safe to say our infrastructure will be fine because we have brand new Metrolink trains that link to pretty much anywhere you need to go in the area. Good bus system in Long Beach and some great schools. Long Beach State just named one of the most affordable 4 yr colleges.

Oh yeah tons of dog parks all with little cute girls walking them around. I tell everyone I know whose looking for a girl, get a pet, go to dog park lol!!!. Especially the one by the college.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #24
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Well, PACO did say I had no integrity--so I obliged him.
you...ARE--a welcher.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #25
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

This message is hidden because broncofan7 is on your ignore list
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote