The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Default I can has D-SLR?

I am looking at buying a D-SLR and need some much needed advice.

I know we have some photographers out there (Zach/Pez), what do you suggest?
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

While the typical choice is to get a Nikon or Canon, I got a huge bargin on a Sony Alpha DSLR A350 last year. Sony's first generation cameras were panned pretty hard, but the new Alpha's use Minolta lenses and there are also Zeiss lenses if you have a lot of money to burn, have stabilization built into the camera, not the lenses (which makes lenses cheaper). The new model of the 350 is the A380L

If you are looking for a transition from a compact camera, this is a pretty good option. Typically cheaper, but 6000 pictures (in the last year) later, I am still very happy with it, and just picked up a telephoto lens for it.

Last edited by lostknight; 01-23-2010 at 07:27 AM..
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
orangemonkey
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
While the typical choice is to get a Nikon or Canon, I got a huge bargin on a Sony Alpha DSLR A350 last year. Sony's first generation cameras were panned pretty hard, but the new Alpha's use Minolta lenses and there are also Zeiss lenses if you have a lot of money to burn, have stabilization built into the camera, not the lenses (which makes lenses cheaper). The new model of the 350 is the A380L

If you are looking for a transition from a compact camera, this is a pretty good option. Typically cheaper, but 6000 pictures (in the last year) later, I am still very happy with it, and just picked up a telephoto lens for it.
Spot on. Sony purchased Konica Minolta which now supplies key ingredients to their SLR line. After comparing to Nikon/Canon I recently purchased the A380 for the wifey. The base is super light and you can swap in vintage Minolta lenses. You can't take anything away from Canon/Nikon but I was very surprised by the quality of Sony.

Last edited by orangemonkey; 01-23-2010 at 08:21 AM..
orangemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I just bought a Canon Ti1 over the holidays. 15.1 MP and the capability to shoot 1080p Video (or 720 if you'd like). Shoots about 3.5 pics/sec which is a little slower than some of the more expensive cameras but hardly noticeable for me. It comes with a kit lens that is perfect for shooting day to day pictures. The kit lens has both auto focus (AF) and Image Stabilization (IS). Canon claims the IS feature is the equivalent of 4 stops though I think that is probably a bit of an exaggeration. I recently found and purchased a 75-250 lens (equiv. to 400m) that has both AF and IS. I've shot several pictures with it and the quality is impressive. I'll see if I can post a picture but not sure you can see the full quality on the OM. Great camera and worth the $700 (give or take) that I paid for it.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Hard to tell on this picture, but at it's native resolution I can zoom into her Lax Head and read everything on it. Awesome resolution for a decent price.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Here is one with the new lens. I had to cut it down from the original 20.5 MP (RAW format) picture and reduce size and quality to fit the OM parameters, but you can see that from about 30 yards away the zoom and quality are still quite good.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I got a Nikon D3000, and it does everything I want it to do. Unless you're a hardcore photographer, it'll do.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Hard to go wrong with the Nikon D40 if you're not looking to spend a boatload of cash, read this review by Ken Rockwell:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

I have one and I love it, here's some pics I've taken:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3908725...58248/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3908725...44767/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3908725...74998/sizes/l/
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Merlin
Ring of Famer

You might want to give a price range, purpose, video (what resolution if yes), are you willing to spend on lenses?
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
Hard to go wrong with the Nikon D40 if you're not looking to spend a boatload of cash, read this review by Ken Rockwell:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

I have one and I love it, here's some pics I've taken:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3908725...58248/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3908725...44767/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3908725...74998/sizes/l/
He's a real good source of information.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

i have a sony alpha series and i reccomend it to anyone. Not only is it as good as the canon's you can use kodak/minolta lenses on it. So instead of paying 700 dolalrs for a wide angle lens, get a minolta one on ebay for 50 bucks. The money you will save will make it worth it. Bestbuy usually runs a special on the sony's every so often. usually you can get the camera, regular lens, telephoto (zoom) lens and some other goodies at a GREAT package price.
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTribbey View Post
I am looking at buying a D-SLR and need some much needed advice.

I know we have some photographers out there (Zach/Pez), what do you suggest?
What's the budget and what are you trying to shoot?

I'm thousands of dollars into what I have, but I'm making money, so I wouldn't tell you to buy what I have.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

There are some very good detailed reviews here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...camera+reviews
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #14
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in McLA View Post
What's the budget and what are you trying to shoot?

I'm thousands of dollars into what I have, but I'm making money, so I wouldn't tell you to buy what I have.
Mostly of my travels (nature, blah blah) and I want to be able to shoot surfers.

Price: Under $1000.

I have been thinking about the D3000. The body is a little small, but i'm sure I would get over it.

Last edited by Ratboy; 01-23-2010 at 03:03 PM..
Old 01-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

All I can say is: I worked as a photographer for a Navy newspaper for 5 years - get a Cannon. Nikon sucks.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #16
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Mostly of my travels (nature, blah blah) and I want to be able to shoot surfers.
So you want a camera that is good for sports, whose telephoto lenses are not too expensive and that is sealed (in the beach you could be exposed to water and sand).

Now, do you prefer a camera that does most of the work for you (mostly automatic), or do you want to have some control of the camera (do you want it to have features that allow you to have some manual control)?
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #17
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
So you want a camera that is good for sports, whose telephoto lenses are not too expensive and that is sealed (in the beach you could be exposed to water and sand).

Now, do you prefer a camera that does most of the work for you (mostly automatic), or do you want to have some control of the camera (do you want it to have features that allow you to have some manual control)?
At first I would want something that will do the majority of the leg work, as time passes and I get more familiar with it, I'd like to control some of it.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #18
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

We got a Nikon D5000 and it's great! Lots of great things and it has the live action screen which the D3000 did not.

Sony is great but if you are a Mac user, Sony is not user friendly in combination with Mac's. (from what I've been told by some techies)
smalltowngrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #19
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngrll View Post
We got a Nikon D5000 and it's great! Lots of great things and it has the live action screen which the D3000 did not.

Sony is great but if you are a Mac user, Sony is not user friendly in combination with Mac's. (from what I've been told by some techies)
I have a mac, and a Sony. No problems ;-)
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #20
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

Price: Under $1000.

I have been thinking about the D3000. The body is a little small, but i'm sure I would get over it.

If I were in your situation, and had $1000 to spend, I'd get this camera as cheaply as I could find it, and use the rest of the money to buy these lenses:

Canon EF 50mm

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6

Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC AF Wide Angle Zoom Lens

That's an arsenal of photography power right out of the gates for $850.

Last edited by Taco John; 01-24-2010 at 01:54 AM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #21
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Why not spend $100 more and get Canon's 2nd best camera (behind the $3000 MarkII)? The T1i is the big brother to the
XSi. Everything it can do plus better resolution, more comfortable feel and a serious up grade in features that won't leave you feeling behind the power curb. Then again, it is true that I often only use half of the camera's capability unless I am shooting something serious, in which case I usually shoot in RAW and copy first to play with it. But seriously, the T1i is widely considered the 2nd best Canon ever. I compared everything in the price range about 2 months ago and the T1i was the best thing going in the 1.6x sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
If I were in your situation, and had $1000 to spend, I'd get this camera as cheaply as I could find it, and use the rest of the money to buy these lenses:

Canon EF 50mm

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6

Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC AF Wide Angle Zoom Lens

That's an arsenal of photography power right out of the gates for $850.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #22
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Any of the entry level DSLRs will take care of what you're looking for. They will all have a "full auto" mode to get you started, and will have a pop-up flash. The question might be more of, "How much do you want to spend now, and how much do you want to spend later?" If you think that you're likely to progress with photography and get really involved, you'll want to consider the whole system. (camera bodies, lenses, accessories...) There are those who end up finding that the learning curve is steeper than they want to commit to, or find that carrying a DSLR is more cumbersome than they think it's worth. A point-and-shoot is much easier to carry around. Some people are of the opinion that "...the best camera is the one you actually use..." A consideration might be something like Canon's G11 compact. It will still shoot RAW and allow manual adjustments too. Image stabilizers being in-lens or in-body creates a lot of debate of which is better. They both work. In-body stabilization (Sony, Olympus, Pentax) is supposed to allow for better development in lens design only, so it's supposed to allow for better optics at same/lower price. 70-200mm f2.8: Canon w/o IS $1,228.50, w/ IS $1,705.95; Nikon $1,999.94 (older version), Sony $1,799, Olympus (equiv) $2,049.95. In most cases that I've seen, the in-body stabilization systems do not have cheaper lenses, and I don't know if they're necessarily better. Also, you may go to an event where the venue has a "No professional camera" policy. Which is to say; a camera with a detachable lens.
Something else to consider is the Olympus PEN E-P1 Micro FourThirds. It is about the size of a compact with a much larger sensor and has interchangeable lenses.

Just more for you to chew on...
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #23
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Here's what u do.

1) Go to Camera store
2) Hold every camera in your price range in your hand and take pics.
3) BUY the one that feels best.

If you have friends with a certain camera system, look harder at that brand so u can borrow glass/ accessories. I recommend to all my friends they buy Nikon so when they ask me for help, I can help since thats what I shoot.

Anyone who tells you you need a certain brand cause that brand takes better pictures is not worth listening to.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2724/...e670595e_o.jpg
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #24
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

I have a sony a330l with a couple nice lenses all for under 850 from best buy. I am completely noob to dslr, go to the amateur photography thread here and see some pics it takes.
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #25
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Why not spend $100 more and get Canon's 2nd best camera (behind the $3000 MarkII)? The T1i is the big brother to the
XSi. Everything it can do plus better resolution, more comfortable feel and a serious up grade in features that won't leave you feeling behind the power curb. Then again, it is true that I often only use half of the camera's capability unless I am shooting something serious, in which case I usually shoot in RAW and copy first to play with it. But seriously, the T1i is widely considered the 2nd best Canon ever. I compared everything in the price range about 2 months ago and the T1i was the best thing going in the 1.6x sensor.

My only rationale was that going with the cheaper one, he'd be able to afford all of those lenses, and have about $150 left over in a $1000 budget to buy a camera bag to store it all in. It would be a killer set-up for a beginner just cutting his teeth.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote