The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Analysis: Broncos pass often, but run game needs to improve in 2010

Analysis: Broncos pass often, but run game needs to improve in 2010

By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

Posted: 01/22/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Thirteen teams threw at least 550 passes during the regular season. The Broncos were one of those 13 teams.

Just two of the 13 are among the postseason's final four. The Broncos are not one of those.

The two are Indianapolis and Minnesota, which have Hall of Fame quarterbacks behind center.

Coincidence?

Uh, no.

The rule book is structured so teams will throw, the league's power brokers want teams to throw and fans want teams to throw. But if those teams don't have a once-in-a-franchise quarterback behind center, an offense that off-balance, that dependent on the passing game, they are simply going to have a difficult time getting to the trophy game.

The Colts threw the ball 601 times this season second in the league behind the dismal Seahawks. The Colts ran the ball just 396 times.

That's 60.3 percent of their offensive plays coming through the air. But they have Peyton Manning, the league's first four-time MVP winner, calling the plays and running the show.

The Vikings threw the ball 553 times during the regular season, or 54.2 percent of their offensive plays, a far more balanced approach from a team that ran 74 more plays overall or roughly a game's worth than the Colts.

They have a three-time MVP in Brett Favre winging it.

The point is the Broncos were ninth in the league in the regular season with 558 pass attempts, 14th in the league in rushing attempts, struggled in short yardage and had just six pass plays longer than 16 yards.

So they threw a lot and didn't have much to show for it. And they have to run it better before any of those numbers change much.

Unless, of course, they intend on snatching up somebody's Hall of Fame quarterback in the near future.

When they were 6-0, the Broncos ran the ball 48.8 percent of the time and threw it 51.2 percent. That's a fairly good balance in this pass-happy time in the league.

In the 2-8 crumble down the stretch, the Broncos ran the ball 41.2 percent of the time and threw it 58.8 percent of the time. The offense lost its balance, fell and could not get up.

The Broncos' offense is a close facsimile to what Josh McDaniels ran in New England, which, for the record, has a future Hall of Fame quarterback in Tom Brady.

So while so much time and breathless commentary has been spent on how the Broncos throw the ball and what they need to throw it better, the difference on that side of the ball in 2010 will be how well they run it.

That translates to how much they make a defense commit to the line of scrimmage, adding players to the front line to give the Broncos' receivers more room to work. That's especially true in an offense that doesn't have much play-action in it and works out of the shotgun so much.

That is a rather significant question with so much turnover on tap in the offensive front. Pro Bowl left tackle Ryan Clady is the only given in the offensive line right now with Ben Hamilton not expected back, Casey Wiegmann's future uncertain to go with Russ Hochstein and Ryan Harris each coming off surgery.

While free agency and the draft can be so much talk-talk about the glamour positions, the Broncos need to go beyond that.

They need a few more grass stains in their playbook, a little more dirt under their fingernails and a little bigger commitment to pushing the ball down the field on offense rather than trying to throw their way out of trouble.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14241332
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

we cant run becauce we domt have a homrun hitting qb or rb.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We are going to need a new center and guard at minimum. We may even need more than that if one of the three young guys don't fit this power run scheme. That sucks since I thought we had a good line set for a long time. It is weird that McDaniels didn't try replacing some of these guys last year. It should have been pretty obvious they wouldn't hold up in his scheme and the lines should be a priority. We have had trouble in short yardage and against big defenses for years.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I don't want to go to the dark side here, but isn't this a perfect reason for teams playing the Colts to do anything they can to take Payaton out of the game?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I miss running football personally.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
we cant run because we dont have a homrun hitting qb or rb.
I was going to say.
How are we going to do that?
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
I was going to say.
How are we going to do that?
Awwww, Mock has a groupie.

Psssst! Try looking at the O'line, even the mighty Hillis couldn't make a yard behind it.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Upgrade the center & guard either through FA or draft,combined with the current linemen getting in the strength program and getting bigger/stronger, and the 2010 team will pound people!

That then will free up the play-action and deeper routes for Kyle. (Yes he can throw the ball deep) < for all the asshat's on the site
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
Gob
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

They need to share more of the load also. I think that is a significant part of Moreno's bad YPC average compared to Buck and Hillis (Jordon just seems done). He should have had at least 40 less carries IMHO this season, especially in situations that don't fit his skills. If Jordan and Hillis aren't worthy to take a significant number, then bring in some backups who are.
Gob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Where's the Beef if we are going to man block?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Where's the Beef if we are going to man block?
Kuper is over 300 and was bigger in college, so he can add girth.
Harris can get stronger and already was a solid RT.
Clady needs to get stronger in the lower body.
Need/must add talent/girth/power to guard and center positions.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I don't want to go to the dark side here, but isn't this a perfect reason for teams playing the Colts to do anything they can to take Payaton out of the game?
Manning is smart enough to hand the ball to Addai and Brown.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob View Post
They need to share more of the load also. I think that is a significant part of Moreno's bad YPC average compared to Buck and Hillis (Jordon just seems done). He should have had at least 40 less carries IMHO this season, especially in situations that don't fit his skills. If Jordan and Hillis aren't worthy to take a significant number, then bring in some backups who are.
Moreno did get stuffed in the backfield probably more than anyone I've ever seen, but that was due in good part to the playcalling and overmatched blocking.

However, those few times he did break in the clear, he didn't seem to be able to take it all the way.

Not what you would expect from the #12 pick...
Old 01-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by heav View Post
kuper is over 300 and was bigger in college, so he can add girth.
Harris can get stronger and already was a solid rt.
Clady needs to get stronger in the lower body.
Need/must add talent/girth/power to guard and center positions.
+1
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Agree, but we need to be a little more patient. Recall for example what a bust Rashard Mendenhall was last year, and how he was very good this year? Tiki Barber, who is more similar to Moreno, is probably even a better example. He didn't do much early in his career and became one of the best all around backs in the league. If he doesn't improve next season then we can panic.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #16
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

We need to draft Spiller and shop Moreno and bolster OL.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #17
Gob
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Moreno did get stuffed in the backfield probably more than anyone I've ever seen, but that was due in good part to the playcalling and overmatched blocking.

However, those few times he did break in the clear, he didn't seem to be able to take it all the way.

He is not a home run threat or an athletic big Steven Jackson type, which are what I think of as 1st round rb's. He seems more like a solid 3rd down back or somebody who should be used like Kevin Faulk on the Pats. Hopefully I am wrong though because it would be crazy to spend a 1st on that type of role player.
Gob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #18
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

Teams do go after Manning. He is a good QB though, and will make you pay for it. He in particular, he is excellent at reading defenses, and will change the play often, burning you as you try to do what you were going to do. He has a staggeringly high firstdown percentage and completion ratio on plays he is blitzed.

If we are not going to get any sort of a longterm, franchise QB, then yea.. we need a very solid running game, and a stout D.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #19
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
we cant run becauce we domt have a homrun hitting qb or rb.
Could you just get one post right, ever?

Just to throw us off at some point, could you just get ONE thing right?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #20
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
Upgrade the center & guard either through FA or draft,combined with the current linemen getting in the strength program and getting bigger/stronger, and the 2010 team will pound people!

That then will free up the play-action and deeper routes for Kyle. (Yes he can throw the ball deep) < for all the asshat's on the site
I can throw the ball deep doesn't mean I can hit water falling out of a boat though. On the upside, Kyle's hang time is better than Berger's.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #21
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob View Post
He is not a home run threat or an athletic big Steven Jackson type, which are what I think of as 1st round rb's. He seems more like a solid 3rd down back or somebody who should be used like Kevin Faulk on the Pats. Hopefully I am wrong though because it would be crazy to spend a 1st on that type of role player.
EXACTLY

Especially when the needs of the team dictated defensive line help.

Players were available even in a trade down situation.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #22
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
I can throw the ball deep doesn't mean I can hit water falling out of a boat though. On the upside, Kyle's hang time is better than Berger's.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote