The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What happens to Brandon Marshall this offseason?
He remains a Denver Bronco, presumably with a new contract. 25 29.41%
He gets tendered as a RFA and signs elsewhere, Denver gets 2 picks. 26 30.59%
He gets tendered as a RFA and Denver trades his rights for something other than 1st and 3rd. 28 32.94%
Other 6 7.06%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default Future of Brandon Marshall

I am curious to know what people think will be the future of Brandon Marshall.

Poll to come. Please put a description if you select other. If you think he leaves, put where you think he'll end up, just for fun.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

even though everyone says hes gone, its too hard to tell. mcdaniels isnt dumb and wont just give him away, but i dont think hes gonna fetch the type of value we are looking for either, in which case mcdaniels holds onto him.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I believe he'll be tendered at a 1st and a 3rd and will wind up settling for that offer to stay in Denver just as Braylon Edwards already has (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-year-tender/).

Considering the CBA uncertainity and Marshall's off-field history, unless the Broncos absolutly want to unload Marshall, I just don't see the value being there to trade him. John Clayton reported on this (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=4841466), that most of these RFAs might wind up coming back to their teams on tenders. Could the owners have set it up that way? Marshall is an interesting case because of his situation, but the fact the guy was caught on camera dogging it practice and stayed on the team shows that anything can happen in the NFL so I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Marshall is back next year, and from the sounds of it - neither woukd he: (http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels...spx?ID=1181090).

Last edited by montrose; 01-21-2010 at 11:11 AM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I think he winds up in Baltimore, Cincy, Washington, Dallas or Chicago. (in that order). I would put Chicago higher on that list but they don't have much in terms of draft picks having already traded their 1st and 2nd this year. Dallas is a W.A.G. based on Jones' propensity to spend and have marquee players. Not sure they actually "need" him.

The ESPN blogger for the NFC West suggested Seattle because they have 2 #1s next year, but I don't see how a team that has recently spent huge $$$ on Burleson, Housh, and Branch wants another big money player at that position.

The reason I like Baltimore as the favorite is that a) there is an obvious need, especially if Mason retires b) they are close to being an elite team and c) they have a strong locker room. I think the last point speaks to the idea that they won't be intimidated by Brandon's act.

Last edited by bloodsunday; 01-21-2010 at 11:15 AM..
Old 01-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
I believe he'll be tendered at a 1st and a 3rd and will wind up settling for that offer to stay in Denver

Yep... but I think they migh franchise him to "Up his pay"

Last edited by TheDave; 01-21-2010 at 11:16 AM..
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
I believe he'll be tendered at a 1st and a 3rd and will wind up settling for that offer to stay in Denver just as Braylon Edwards already has (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-year-tender/).

Considering the CBA uncertainity and Marshall's off-field history, unless the Broncos absolutly want to unload Marshall, I just don't see the value being there to trade him. John Clayton reported on this, that most of these RFAs will wind up coming back to their teams on tenders - the owners set it up that way. Marshall is an interesting case because of his situation, but the fact the guy was caught on camera dogging it practice and stayed on the team shows that anything can happen in the NFL so I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Marshall is back next year, and from the sounds of it - neither can he (http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels...spx?ID=1181090).
You raise excellent points. And if there weren't so much discontent (seemingly anyway) between Brandon and the Broncos Organization at large, I think I would agree with this assessment. The other difference between Brandon and Braylon is that Brandon at least stepped on the field and produced this year (making the Pro Bowl).

But it certainly is an interesting dilemma because that price tag is sooo heavy to get him away from Denver.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:

Considering the CBA uncertainity and Marshall's off-field history, unless the Broncos absolutly want to unload Marshall, I just don't see the value being there to trade him. John Clayton reported on this (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=4841466), that most of these RFAs might wind up coming back to their teams on tenders. Could the owners have set it up that way? Marshall is an interesting case because of his situation, but the fact the guy was caught on camera dogging it practice and stayed on the team shows that anything can happen in the NFL so I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Marshall is back next year, and from the sounds of it - neither woukd he: (http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels...spx?ID=1181090).
you link kind of blows up in your face ...

That approach is a little easier for Edwards to adopt because he's already pocketed one huge contract. Players with smaller career earnings may not embrace the realities of the uncapped world so enthusiastically.
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:

listening to the interview with Marshall i didn't hear any "All I care about is the money" talk and it sounded like McD needs to get his communication skills under control
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
listening to the interview with Marshall i didn't hear any "All I care about is the money" talk and it sounded like McD needs to get his communication skills under control
brandon has said several times its not the city, its his contract hes unhappy with. thats kind of the problem in the NFL, a player is unhappy making 2.3 million dollars a year. more then most people will ever make in their lifetime.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
even though everyone says hes gone, its too hard to tell. mcdaniels isnt dumb and wont just give him away, but i dont think hes gonna fetch the type of value we are looking for either, in which case mcdaniels holds onto him.
This.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Yep... but I think they migh franchise him to "Up his pay"
Can you franchise a RFA? If so, that's a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
you link kind of blows up in your face ...

That approach is a little easier for Edwards to adopt because he's already pocketed one huge contract. Players with smaller career earnings may not embrace the realities of the uncapped world so enthusiastically.
I just wanted to post that for reference sake, not to compare to BMarsh.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:
brandon has said several times its not the city, its his contract hes unhappy with. thats kind of the problem in the NFL, a player is unhappy making 2.3 million dollars a year. more then most people will ever make in their lifetime.
that means nothing.

simple fact is he is at the very least in the top 5 at his position and I don't recall the exact number but his paid outside of the top 25 or somewhere around there. It's what the market dictates not what we think he should be happy with.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

people when we gave TD that huge contract to TD I thought what a classy owner !

the last few years I have started to wane on this .

Shanahan IMO money was why he was not keept .

Cutler Money IMO

Dvile should of got a new contract two year ago .

Marshal same he should of got a new contract two years ago .
Old 01-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazi_kal View Post
that means nothing.

simple fact is he is at the very least in the top 5 at his position and I don't recall the exact number but his paid outside of the top 25 or somewhere around there. It's what the market dictates not what we think he should be happy with.
ummmm yea it does, read the whole post then try again. im not commenting about him and him only fool, im commenting on the general salary of NFL players and how when one is making ONLY 2.3 million dollars, its enough to act how marshall acted this year.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #15
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
so tsiguy you think Marshal is playing like a 4th rounder ?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #16
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:

Cutler Money IMO

So what's the point? You think Marshall will be here? won't be here?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #17
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

there is rookies making more money . and you guys think 4th round money is fair.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #18
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

This team needs less drama and more wins!
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
When you play like the best you should get paid like the best
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #20
Dukes
Ring of Famer

He's played his last game in Denver, that's for sure.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #21
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Why would you? If you franchise him you have to give him top 5 money, like 10M a year. If you tender him you only have to give him the $3M.

Seems to me you'd only do one or the other.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #22
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:
ummmm yea it does, read the whole post then try again. im not commenting about him and him only fool, im commenting on the general salary of NFL players and how when one is making ONLY 2.3 million dollars, its enough to act how marshall acted this year.
Fool? really ..... like I said if the market dictates it they deserve it.

You think baseball, a much less phyical with longer lifespan sport should have players that get 150MM in for sure money the market decides what their worth. So fool ... I'd like to see you turn down your next raise because you should be happy making what you make. If you can live off of 15,000 a year should you just stop their?

Bottom line is they don't play for fun they play for money ....... they ALL do.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #23
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
So what's the point? You think Marshall will be here? won't be here?
If you do what is fair in the first place you don't have all this BS in the first place pay players early if the play and heath show them to be long term answers. this makes them way cheaper to to resign . two years ago both would of cost way less to lock up for long term .

Marshall was right about wanting more for what he did here .
Old 01-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #24
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:

God I hope so... I don't want to think of what happens if Marshall has to play another season for under $3mil.

Dude might punt a football right into Bowlen's face, then beat Annebel for good measure.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #25
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

Cutler Money IMO

In principal I agree with the idea that you lock up good players early -- then there is an incentive for them to take a home town deal as well. That said, Brandon's attitude and off the field problems have been a monkey wrench in the viability of that plan.